PDA

View Full Version : [SLIGHT SPOILER] Review About the Game In a Few Aspects I can think of

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 05:22 PM
So I actually have finished the game, pure missions only in about 20 hours. Here are some of my pros and cons about the game:

- Better combat. Even though you'll be able to fight easily after you upgrade literally everything, there is definitely more challenges from the guards. They actually parry, dodge and do some chain attack depending on their level. It might look easy if you watch videos, but it's really "a bit" challenging for returning players, especially when fighting with more than 5 guards as 100% of the guards far from you will spam their guns at you while the closer ones to you will attack you with swords.
- Parkour is flawless but they are some "anti-gravity" moves that looks weird such as Arno doing Naruto jumps (won't die after jumping from some high buildings which look impossible in previous games). Some clipping issues when climbing at awkward angles happen at most times (might be fixed in day 1 patch)
- I played on my PS4 and graphics looks nice. It's like the opposite of Watch Dogs. The game looks at its best during daytime gameplay. Once night time approaches it looks less pretty. NPCs textures look last gen. Cutscenes are rendered just like AC3 and AC4, instead of using in-game graphics like Ezio saga.Details on buildings are awesome. Exterior and interior are well designed. Will play on my PC once my copy arrives to compare the graphics
- FPS is not really a main issue but sometimes it dips below 25. In one mission, they are about more than 2k NPCs (random guess as it was too much to count) on screen and it was stable around 22-23
- NPCs have some serious issues. From crowd morphing even in front of Arno, crowd popping in and out, defying gravity by walking in the air.
- Long loading screen. Some takes up to 40 seconds to load a mission or a cutscene
- Story is meh. It's nice, but kind of predictable of what will happen next and it didn't really impact me as much as AC2 did to me.
- Modern day literally has nothing besides a few cutscenes telling us to keep playing as Arno
- Disappointed with Elise. She is a good character but UBI misused her as it feels like she didn't provide much to the plot. Basically she wanted to find his dad's killer, vanished for a new mission, came back, vanished again, came back and got killed

If you guys would like to ask anything else spoiler free, I would try my best to answer

Kaschra
11-09-2014, 05:44 PM
About Modern Day
So... you can't even walk around and do stuff like collecting notes or hacking like in AC4?

Abut the ending
Yeah... I just watched the ending, simply because I wanted to know what happens to a certain someone. It's just as predictable as I thought. Disappointing...

GunnerGalactico
11-09-2014, 05:48 PM
- Story is meh. It's nice, but kind of predictable of what will happen next

This doesn't surprise me at all.

ACfan443
11-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Does it offer meaty side content? Can you give a few examples of fun missions outside of the main campaign?

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Every AC story is pretty predictable if we take the plot alone (as is stories of... well... most things, especially once you've seen a lot of stories). The important thing is not WHAT happens, but HOW and how it affects you (the latter being the most subjective part). The only instances in AC where I was genuinely surprised related to some modern day twists, and that's it.

By the way, question to anybody has played the game. How is the Adaptive Mission Mechanics in action? In main stories, and in side-missions? I know all main assassinations are black boxes with mod objectives, but I'm curious how the AMM system is implemented (if it is). Are there many forces desynchs?

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 06:08 PM
I agree with farlander!!!!!!

ACIV has my favorite story so far, and there is not a single moment of unpredictableness to be found, same with AC II in regards of its characters as well.

Sushiglutton
11-09-2014, 06:16 PM
- Better combat. Even though you'll be able to fight easily after you upgrade literally everything, there is definitely more challenges from the guards. They actually parry, dodge and do some chain attack depending on their level. It might look easy if you watch videos, but it's really "a bit" challenging for returning players, especially when fighting with more than 5 guards as 100% of the guards far from you will spam their guns at you while the closer ones to you will attack you with swords.

From what I can tell Arno has five moves:

- Attack
- Strong attack
- Dodge roll
- Parry
- Quickfire

Are there any more moves you can unlock? Did you ever combine moves in what you felt was an unexpected and interesting way?

GunnerGalactico
11-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I agree with farlander!!!!!!

ACIV has my favorite story so far, and there is not a single moment of unpredictableness to be found.

I guess that makes both of us. However, I did like the story in AC1 as well.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I guess that makes both of us. However, I did like the story in AC1 as well.

I do too hehe.

GunnerGalactico
11-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I do too hehe.

:D

AssassinHMS
11-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Does the game let you gather information that reveals things like patrolling schedules/areas; secret paths; interiors’ layout; targets’ routine; etc. prior to the assassination mission?
So basically, were there any investigation missions and were you given the chance to plan missions like in AC1?

topeira1980
11-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Do we have questions?!? do WE EVER?!

first - thanks a lot for coming forth with the fact you finished the game and willing to answer around. here are my Qs:

1) what is going on with the time of day during free roam between missions? is it always day time? does it change? can you actively change TOD in free roam between missions?

2) does the world itself (in free roam between missions) get harder as you progress through the story like in previous AC games, where you'd see more challenging enemies roam the streets?
or is it static - a two diamond districts are always really easy while 4 diamond districts are always just as hard form beginning to the end of the game?

3) can you replay side missions?! i am pretty sure you can replay main missions but what about the side missions? can you complete a side missions a second time if it was fun?

4) are there training locations where you can practice combat against tougher rank 4 or 5 enemies?

5) Here's a question im pretty sure you wont be able to answer - what is the PARRY stat in the weapons screen? i know what damage and speed are, but what does PARRY determine?! every weapon can parry so what is the difference in parrying with a weapon that has high parry stat compared to a weapon with low parry stat?!
this was a question i had in every single AC game and it's "defense" stat and now one knows. i bet UBI doesnt know either.

6) Did you try and do the co-op missions yourself? are they hard? are they fun?

7) are there some over powered moves? i wonder if HEAVY ATTACK or that SHOULDER CHARGE move can be exploited (like heavy attack can not be blocked or something, or that the shoulder charge will always push enemies to the ground for an easy kill or stuff like that).

8) Did you try playing without the mini map? since now there are icons floating in the 3D world do you think it's possible to remove the minimap completely and use the floating icons to guide you and nothing else? what is your guess?

9) are there "crowd events" that are challenging? i find tackling a dude, stealth killing a dude or normal killing 2 guys not challenging... since there is really very little chance you'd fail those....

thanks, man!

zkorejo
11-09-2014, 06:39 PM
I dont get it. You completed only story missions in 20 hours? Or is some/all of the side content is included in that playtime? 20 hours for just the main story sounds really long compared to previous installments.

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 06:52 PM
About Modern Day
So... you can't even walk around and do stuff like collecting notes or hacking like in AC4?

Abut the ending
Yeah... I just watched the ending, simply because I wanted to know what happens to a certain someone. It's just as predictable as I thought. Disappointing...

Nope no walking or collecting notes. Just about 4 or 5 cutscenes from an Initiates lady asking us to look more into Arno's life. Pretty dull

Kaschra
11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Nope no walking or collecting notes. Just about 4 or 5 cutscenes from an Initiates lady asking us to look more into Arno's life. Pretty dull

Thank you for telling me.
Indeed, that sounds pretty dull :(

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Does it offer meaty side content? Can you give a few examples of fun missions outside of the main campaign?

Side contents are pretty much like what you have in Watch Dogs. It's a lot but there's not much variety except for the Paris Murder Mysteries where you search for trails and decide who the murderer is. Other than that, it's the pretty usual tailing, killing random criminals, chasing thieves kind of mission. There's missions on glyphs like in AC2 based from some documents we find

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Every AC story is pretty predictable if we take the plot alone (as is stories of... well... most things, especially once you've seen a lot of stories). The important thing is not WHAT happens, but HOW and how it affects you (the latter being the most subjective part). The only instances in AC where I was genuinely surprised related to some modern day twists, and that's it.

By the way, question to anybody has played the game. How is the Adaptive Mission Mechanics in action? In main stories, and in side-missions? I know all main assassinations are black boxes with mod objectives, but I'm curious how the AMM system is implemented (if it is). Are there many forces desynchs?

So far, I've not seen the AAM take place in any mission maybe due to my being able to get my target in first try. There's a lot of tailing in the game like other AC but so far I haven't failed any tailing mission so I didn't get to see AAM in action

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 07:03 PM
From what I can tell Arno has five moves:

- Attack
- Strong attack
- Dodge roll
- Parry
- Quickfire

Are there any more moves you can unlock? Did you ever combine moves in what you felt was an unexpected and interesting way?

Those are the moves that you will use during combats. Other moves are just like double assassination, ground assassination which you have to unlock using your "sync" points from doing missions. Combination can be used for all of the above, especially when fighting a lot of guards. For example, if a lot of guards are shooting at you, you can keep rolling and do a quickfire gunshot and roll again. But most of the times you will rely on parry and spamming the attack button. Not much variety in fighting

Sushiglutton
11-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Thank you for taking the time for this :)!

Side contents are pretty much like what you have in Watch Dogs. It's a lot but there's not much variety except for the Paris Murder Mysteries where you search for trails and decide who the murderer is. Other than that, it's the pretty usual tailing, killing random criminals, chasing thieves kind of mission. There's missions on glyphs like in AC2 based from some documents we find

Is it true that glyphs only can be solved with the companion app, or can everything be done in game?

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Does the game let you gather information that reveals things like patrolling schedules/areas; secret paths; interiors’ layout; targets’ routine; etc. prior to the assassination mission?
So basically, were there any investigation missions and were you given the chance to plan missions like in AC1?

No patrolling patterns as guards appear as it is. Target has scripted routines in a mission as far as I can see. So basically there's no investigation before you start a mission. However, secret paths into buildings can be found or unlocked before you start a mission (during free roaming for example) provided that you explore the building and have skills such as better eagle vision to cover larger area in order to see hidden paths or lockpicking skill to unlock windows or doors. While you are doing this, you can also explore the interior layouts. The rest will usually come during the blackbox mission as all of the blackbox mission gives you a "preview" of all possible opportunities you can find during the mission

AssassinHMS
11-09-2014, 07:12 PM
No patrolling patterns as guards appear as it is. Target has scripted routines in a mission as far as I can see. So basically there's no investigation before you start a mission. However, secret paths into buildings can be found or unlocked before you start a mission (during free roaming for example) provided that you explore the building and have skills such as better eagle vision to cover larger area in order to see hidden paths or lockpicking skill to unlock windows or doors. While you are doing this, you can also explore the interior layouts. The rest will usually come during the blackbox mission as all of the blackbox mission gives you a "preview" of all possible opportunities you can find during the mission

Ok, thanks. That's all I needed to know,

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Do we have questions?!? do WE EVER?!

first - thanks a lot for coming forth with the fact you finished the game and willing to answer around. here are my Qs:

1) what is going on with the time of day during free roam between missions? is it always day time? does it change? can you actively change TOD in free roam between missions?

2) does the world itself (in free roam between missions) get harder as you progress through the story like in previous AC games, where you'd see more challenging enemies roam the streets?
or is it static - a two diamond districts are always really easy while 4 diamond districts are always just as hard form beginning to the end of the game?

3) can you replay side missions?! i am pretty sure you can replay main missions but what about the side missions? can you complete a side missions a second time if it was fun?

4) are there training locations where you can practice combat against tougher rank 4 or 5 enemies?

5) Here's a question im pretty sure you wont be able to answer - what is the PARRY stat in the weapons screen? i know what damage and speed are, but what does PARRY determine?! every weapon can parry so what is the difference in parrying with a weapon that has high parry stat compared to a weapon with low parry stat?!
this was a question i had in every single AC game and it's "defense" stat and now one knows. i bet UBI doesnt know either.

6) Did you try and do the co-op missions yourself? are they hard? are they fun?

7) are there some over powered moves? i wonder if HEAVY ATTACK or that SHOULDER CHARGE move can be exploited (like heavy attack can not be blocked or something, or that the shoulder charge will always push enemies to the ground for an easy kill or stuff like that).

8) Did you try playing without the mini map? since now there are icons floating in the 3D world do you think it's possible to remove the minimap completely and use the floating icons to guide you and nothing else? what is your guess?

9) are there "crowd events" that are challenging? i find tackling a dude, stealth killing a dude or normal killing 2 guys not challenging... since there is really very little chance you'd fail those....

thanks, man!

1) It depends on what was your mission before you get back into free roaming. Let say if your mission is night time, the moment you finish your mission and back into free roaming can be night time as well. But sometimes it can also change into day time depends on the storyline. HOWEVER, you can find a toogle for TOD under the game option menu and just change to either morning, afternoon, dusk or night. Just found out about this option earlier as I was exploring the option menu

2) Not really sure about that but enemies are scattered everywhere and it depends on the landmark and the better looking districts I believe. For example, guards in the poor district with least interesting landmarks tends to be around 1-3 diamonds while once you go places with "important" landmarks that are used during missions, guards with 4-5 diamonds are tend to be more in number.

3) didn't get to try this as I didn't do any side mission yet

4) Just go to landmarks which are used in during hard missions. Usually during the free roaming, the tougher ones will still patrol there

5) I don't know either. Doesn't seem to affect any weapon I use because as long as you parry an attack at the right time, it will always parry regardless of what level the enemies are

6) Didn't get to try. Have no idea but I think the server wasn't up yet or something was wrong with my connection to the server. The matchmaking took too bit long when I managed to try it and it failed on me so can't really comment on this

7) Shoulder charge is quite OP especially against lower rank guards. Heavy attacks can be dodged by level 4-5 guards sometimes but most heavy attacks can lead to stunt which then you can finish off the enemy, so quite OP

8) The floating icons didn't really help much as it only shows some of side contents nearby you so I still prefer playing with the mini map. Don't look at the full map though, it is really way too cluttered with icons

9) There are no other crowd event apart from those you have mentioned. Tackling thieves, killing criminals and harassers are the ones that I found so far.

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I dont get it. You completed only story missions in 20 hours? Or is some/all of the side content is included in that playtime? 20 hours for just the main story sounds really long compared to previous installments.

For me it's just story mission and exploring landmarks. I didn't touch any side mission or co-op just yet. I only did random events such as tackling thugs and killing criminals only. I had to redo quite a lot of missions due to the difficulty of the enemies when I got caught when sneaking around. And there are challenges for normal missions like the "full sync" kind of thing so I took my time getting those. Also, during blackbox missions, I may have explored the playground too much looking for all possible entrances and picking the best route to go with. IMO, if you just bash through the missions without completing challenges and finding all possible opportunities during blackbox, it may save another 2 to 3 hours

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Thank you for taking the time for this :)!

Is it true that glyphs only can be solved with the companion app, or can everything be done in game?

so far all the glyphs are straight in-game. Until now, I see the app is needed to open some chests

ladosefan
11-09-2014, 10:19 PM
How does medicine work?Is it op like in ac2-acR where basically you were immortal as it regenerated a lot of health or is it nerfed? :p

IMRicko
11-10-2014, 04:55 AM
How does medicine work?Is it op like in ac2-acR where basically you were immortal as it regenerated a lot of health or is it nerfed? :p

It's kind of AC2-ACR where you can stock quite a lot of medicine. However your health won't generate during or after a fight. And I did have to use quite a lot of medicine during fights especially against more than 5 guards as most of them just kept spamming gunshots

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 05:13 AM
I think the game would work if we had a darker Assassin protagonist. Arno has even fewer shades of gray than Connor or Ezio, leave alone Altair and Edward.

It would have been a way better game if Pierre Bellec was the Hero that is if they want it to be an Assassin. UNITY is really a Templar story and ideally, Elise should be the main hero of the game.

IMRicko
11-10-2014, 05:41 AM
I think the game would work if we had a darker Assassin protagonist. Arno has even fewer shades of gray than Connor or Ezio, leave alone Altair and Edward.

It would have been a way better game if Pierre Bellec was the Hero that is if they want it to be an Assassin. UNITY is really a Templar story and ideally, Elise should be the main hero of the game.

Yeah seems like they are focusing on templars point of view through Rogue and Unity. There's not much depth in the story of the assassin brotherhood.
the assassin brotherhood is basically just about how arno get into the brotherhood through a council, get banished and had his own vendetta. Too boring

topeira1980
11-10-2014, 11:15 AM
thanks for the info, ricko! much appreciated.

i wonder if you got a chance to figure out the answers to these questions:

1) about TOD: so if a mission ends at night but you want to play at day than you have to start another mission or you are stuck at night? is that it?

2) can you replay paris story missions and cafe theatre missions?

3) did u figure out what PARRY is? :-P someone guessed its the size of the window you get to do a perfect parry but that doesnt seem like it from just watching playthroughs. if i was to guess i'd think it might be how long the enemy is stunned after a parry.... but i have no clue, really. if u get to check than great :)
it's a realy shame you dont get weapons that are good at weapon but suck at parry or visa versa. the parry and damage always have the same stat.

Cornik22
11-10-2014, 12:42 PM
I also have some questions. Can you fist fight like in previous games? (I love that feature). Also, can you steal weapons from enemies to use against them?

topeira1980
11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
I also have some questions. Can you fist fight like in previous games? (I love that feature). Also, can you steal weapons from enemies to use against them?

good questions. from all the playthroughs i've seen there is no fist fighting and you cant steal weapons. the latter is really unrealistic, but its to keep the reason to buy weapons and not just kill a level 5 enemy soon and take what he has without the need to purchase.

Pandassin
11-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I have some small questions.

1) How customisable is the HUD? Can we remove the blue blending circle and such?

2) Not a huge deal but, is it possible to change Arno's robe length of his original robes? The longer robes looked better in my opinion.

3) (Another customisation question), Can we remove Arno's hood?

4) Is there free roam co-op? Some people say there is, some people say there isn't so I'm a little fuzzy on that.

Thank you for doing this!