PDA

View Full Version : ACIV Black Flag: Awe-Inspiring Dedication to Historical Accuracy

similarly
11-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Way back in the 70s, my Dad bought a series of Time Life books about maritime history. They all had simple titles: "The Whalers", "The Dreadnoughts" etc. Recently, I've been re-reading "The Pirates" and my mind is blown away by how MUCH of the information in that book goes with ACIV Black Flag.

This morning, I read a quote from Bartholomew Roberts "No, a merry life and a short one shall be my motto." Likewise, almost most books list Blackbeard as Edward Teach, this book from 1978 mentions that his name might well have been Thatch.

As well, the fates of Mary Read, Anne Bonney, "James Kidd" and Calico Jack Rackham are consistent with the details in the book (for examples, it mentions the fate of Mary Read, but mentions that Anne Bonney's fate was a thing of legend rather than record.

In fact, the only inconsistency I could find was with Stede Bonnet. The historical Bonnet WAS a dandy (and was ousted from his ship by Blackbeard) but was well-known for wearing a powdered wig.

Still, the kinds of ships used is quite consistent with history. Many people have said that they wished we could trade the Jackdaw for a more powerful ship (and I admit I wished I could sail a man O war too!) but the book I'm reading mentions that Pirates preferred smaller, faster ships. Blackbeard was something of an exception.

I sometimes got the feeling, playing Black Flag, that some of the writers and creators must have read this book as a kid too.

Locopells
11-05-2014, 01:32 AM
That's why I love these games!

Alphacos007
11-05-2014, 01:42 AM
That's why I love these games!

This. I love history and conspiracy stories. What better than Assassin's Creed in accurate historical times?

strigoi1958
11-05-2014, 01:59 AM
ACBF certainly reminded me of essays my history master made me write... it was one of the few times I enjoyed researching a subject.

The series as a whole has certainly made me seek out books on the knights templar.... especially all the alleged things like their links to freemasons, and the freemason links with the founding fathers and masonic images on us bank notes and the layout of washington city... in fact all the conspiracy theories.

Fatal-Feit
11-05-2014, 02:30 AM
I wish Darby McDevitt could write the entire Assassin's Creed franchise. He work is simply unbeatable, haha.

jeffies04
11-05-2014, 09:14 AM
I agree. I really enjoy it the most when they embrace the history and tweak just enough to fit the story into it. And you can definitely tell when Darby does interviews that he's really relishing in the history when he writes for the game.