PDA

View Full Version : Release Date Unlock Time

apresmode
11-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I searched, but didn't find anything. I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology. Does anyone know when Ubisoft games become available to download, and secondly when do they typically become available to play? So basically can you pre download the game sans key files say the night or couple days before, and do the games become available at midnight in your timezone or do you have to wait for a specific worldwide time when Uplay let's you play.

It's the first time I'm getting an AC game on PC instead of console, and I'm just unsure about how this works. I will miss waiting in line with a bunch of other like minded nerds, and going home to play into the early morning hours. Hmm one more question - do stores still get boxed copies of games? Can you ask them to for specific titles?

Altair1789
11-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I think you're thinking about preloading, if so, Unity won't have preloading on the Uplay client (I think). I'm not sure exactly when they send you an activation code to start downloading the game, but I hope I get it midnight EST :confused:. I don't know the answer to the 2nd question though

apresmode
11-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I haven't preordered yet, but I have recently decided to get it day one. So now I'm just trying to figure out the logisitics of it all.

Green_Reaper
11-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Back before Watch_Dogs came out, when I bought my graphics card, it came with a full version of Watch_Dogs for free and instead of a disc they gave me a code to enter so I could download it. I entered the code and waited until release date. It didn't actually start downloading until about 4 hours before the official release day. I don't know if this is how it usually is for every Ubisoft game but maybe you'll get to download Unity a few hours before the 11th, if you are in the U.S./Canada locations.

Altair1789
11-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Back before Watch_Dogs came out, when I bought my graphics card, it came with a full version of Watch_Dogs for free and instead of a disc they gave me a code to enter so I could download it. I entered the code and waited until release date. It didn't actually start downloading until about 4 hours before the official release day. I don't know if this is how it usually is for every Ubisoft game but maybe you'll get to download Unity a few hours before the 11th, if you are in the U.S./Canada locations.

I'm assuming (/hoping) that the downloads will be available to everyone in North America 12 AM EST, so 9 PM PST if you live in the west. I plan to start the download of Unity then install it and get a benchmark out asap

apresmode
11-04-2014, 12:14 AM
I've got a pretty fast connection so even if it were 4 hours I should have plenty of time to download. That would be great. Were you able to activate your copy of Watch_Dogs at midnight?

Green_Reaper
11-04-2014, 01:06 AM
I've got a pretty fast connection so even if it were 4 hours I should have plenty of time to download. That would be great. Were you able to activate your copy of Watch_Dogs at midnight?

I activated it way before launch day. It just kind of sat in my account and didn't show up for download until a couple hours before launch day. So for example, let's say the official "launch" begins 1 AM. I got to download at around 9PM (couple hours before that). Although I don't remember if I finished downloading before midnight though, so I can't say for sure if you could actually play the game literally hours before launch. Anyways, if that's how it is, it's pretty much the same as waiting until the next day(launch) to play anyways, despite the extra gap of time they give you.

*edit*

Yeah now that I think about it, it was probably available to me a couple hours before "official" launch day because part of the U.S. was already on that day. Time zone difference. huh.

So I guess if we apply the same rule to Unity, if you are in the midwest, or east coast (I'm west coast), you would have a chance to download way before me, but at 1 AM (launch day) only?

apresmode
11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Well that gives me some hope. Of course it's just a game so it doesn't really matter. I would like to be able to play Monday at midnight / Tuesday morning if possible though. Thanks for the info, and sharing your experience. Appreciate it.