PDA

View Full Version : Unity's Soundtrack Previews: Volumes 1 and 2 are on iTunes

Reptilis91
10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Volume 1 composed by Chris Tilton
Volume 2 composed by Sarah Schachner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToN3aBlYE0

The volume 2 seems to have the best tracks if I may say. Schachner has done a very good job. Rather Death Than Slavery sounds amazing with the national anthem!

Wolfmeister1010
10-28-2014, 03:16 PM
YYAASSS

Obviously Sarah's work was the best lol. like there was ever any doubt.

That being said, I really love the main theme "Unity" by chris.

IDK what you guys hate about it I love all of it

I-Like-Pie45
10-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Mediocre music

Just like Kyds

cawatrooper9
10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
It always takes me a little while to get used to AC music... but I'm sure I'll be rocking out to this all day in a month's time.

DisbandedBox359
10-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Agreed much prefer volume 2, "Dantons Sacrifice" and "Inflame or Enlighten" yass

Reptilis91
10-28-2014, 04:28 PM
I just realized that they were three on the soundtrack, the poor guy has no volume 3.

ACfan443
10-28-2014, 04:41 PM
The preview tracks for the previous games were way better. They've somehow managed to create a soundtrack even more mediocre than AC3's, that's quite an accomplishment.

Seriously though, the tracks in volume one are painfully same-y and generic, volume 2 is undoubtedly better - I love 'Rather death than Slavery' (as well as a few others towards the end), there's a faint whiff of vocals in that one which is awesome. But both scores are ultimately a disappointment.

Hopefully I'll warm to the music once I've completed a couple of playthroughs of the game, but the only thing that could possibly salvage this OST right now is the ambient music which is presumably composed by Ryan for volume 3. I really want Kyd or Tyler brought back for the next game.

I just realized that they were three on the soundtrack, the poor guy has no volume 3.

I think there will be a volume 3 but it'll come out at a later time.

RinoTheBouncer
10-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Thanks for sharing. Pre-ordered before listening to the samples!
Chris Tillon and Sarah Schachner? haven’t heard of them.

The sad part is that AC:Rogue is coming out the same day and still no sign of its soundtrack. I just hate how neglected this game is when it comes to promotion and recycling.

Reptilis91
10-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Seriously though, the tracks in volume one are painfully same-y and generic

You're exaggerating... in this case, AC2 tracks are also painfully same-y and generic.

I think a lot of people are 'blinded' by their nostalgia and 2/3 memorable tunes. Yeah, AC2 or ACR have amazing OST, but it was also repetitive. Last year, Brian Tyler did a great work, and this year the OST seems to be great too.

You have the right to prefer any soundtrack, but please just open your ears. -_-

ACfan443
10-28-2014, 08:04 PM
You're exaggerating... in this case, AC2 tracks are also painfully same-y and generic.

I think a lot of people are 'blinded' by their nostalgia and 2/3 memorable tunes. Yeah, AC2 or ACR have amazing OST, but it was also repetitive. Last year, Brian Tyler did a great work, and this year the OST seems to be great too.

You have the right to prefer any soundtrack, but please just open your ears. -_-

Sorry, but I still think volume 1 is a generic snoozefest and you can't convince me otherwise. I spent 28 minutes slogging through the whole of Tilton's score hoping I'd find something to my liking but didn't hear a single standout track, whereas last year there were an abundance of memorable tunes, just as there were with all of Kyd's previews. Sure Tilton's tracks may work better in-game, but they're boring as hell to listen to without context. Some feel the same way about Kyd's, Balfe's, and Tyler's scores, and that's absolutely fine because it's purely a matter of taste.

I wouldn't say my judgement is being skewed by nostalgia, as I previously mentioned I'm really fond of some of Schachner's compositions and don't consider them same-y at all, but Tilton's on the other hand are and that creates this disconnect between the two scores which is jarring and discordant. Perhaps I'll change my mind once the full thing's out, but as of yet there's nothing remarkable or striking.

Megas_Doux
10-28-2014, 08:10 PM
kinda meh, being honest.

The second part seems better, though. Pretty french.

harsab
10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
The soundtrack sounds amazing but one thing thats worrying me is i don't see any mysterious names like we did for black flag ''meet the sage'' ''secrets of the maya''

will we not visit any first civ places? :(

i know its really stupid to judge it over soundtrack names.

But lets see.

SixKeys
10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
The soundtrack sounds amazing but one thing thats worrying me is i don't see any mysterious names like we did for black flag ''meet the sage'' ''secrets of the maya''

will we not visit any first civ places? :(

i know its really stupid to judge it over soundtrack names.

But lets see.

Most AC soundtracks didn't have such overt references to First Civ stuff in the soundtrack titles. Sometimes they reuse tracks in different settings, so it doesn't make sense to name something "Revelation of Juno" or something if the same track can be heard in many different places in the game.

Ureh
10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Soundtrack samples were solid throughout, loved it! The first 20 minutes sounded like something out of a 007 movie. 2nd half sounds like AC stuff.

menumaxibestof
10-28-2014, 09:37 PM
The last one, Execution By All Means, sounds a lot like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZTsgfjOHnE

m4r-k7
10-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Sounds a lot like a movie soundtrack, rather than a game soundtrack. Its how they implement the music that makes it effective. For example, Ezio's Family on the opening scene of AC 2 was breathtaking and in AC 3 Connors Life when he returns to the Homestead at the end.

ACfan443
10-28-2014, 09:51 PM
The last one, Execution By All Means, sounds a lot like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZTsgfjOHnE

The whole of volume 1 sounds a lot like this.

Fatal-Feit
10-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Wow, I'm already in love with the soundtrack. They really suit the theme and atmosphere of Unity. I can't wait to see how they're implemented into the game. :)

I completely agree, haha.

Wolfmeister1010
10-28-2014, 11:01 PM
lot of people calling it generic..

I mean some parts yeah, it still sounds good and relevant to the game to me. I love the piano and harpsichord parts, as well as the electronic beats.

It's definitely not as good as AC3 or revelations but it is good IMO.

TheHumanTowel
10-28-2014, 11:13 PM

AC2's soundtrack was the opposite of generic. It's very distinctive and repetition doesn't have to be a bad thing in music. I've only listened to volume 1 but it sounds like a million other "epic" movie scores. It's not bad but I don't think it does as good job of setting a tone and atmosphere as previous soundtracks.

king-hailz
10-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Seriously one of the worst soundtracks I have ever heard, there is no central hook and every single track has the exact f*cking same fast violin beat, literally the exact same one. The only parts that redeem it are the different piano sounds and this one track at the beginning of volume 2 that was amazing! Sounded very fresh! A couple of others start great but quickly go into the same violin beat.

AC2 had different sounds different vocalisations and different beats for its tracks a couple do sound similar but it doesn't matter! From dream of Venice with a deep powerful sound with the light high pitched female voice. To the pleasing ezios family to when we hear madame which is just vocals that give me chills. Also the modern sounding tracks have a cool mysterious feeling! Even the modern tracks in unity have the same violin beats! AC3s main theme makes up for it and makes it better than this whole soundtrack!

It sounds like the soundtrack to a cheap action horror movie. Lol!

Seriously disappointed in ubisoft for creating one of the worst soundtracks I've heard when I used to think AC had THE best soundtracks in gaming.

Ureh
10-28-2014, 11:35 PM
I don't think a vid like that can do justice to these songs. They're just very short snippets all stitched together into a single heap.

From what I've heard so far it sounds reeeeaaaaalllllyyy promising.

king-hailz
10-28-2014, 11:38 PM
I don't think a vid like that can do justice to these songs. They're just very short snippets all stitched together into a single heap.

From what I've heard so far it sounds reeeeaaaaalllllyyy promising.

An extra 30 to 60 seconds to each track isn't a drastic difference...

However hearing it now and experiencing the game with the music is very different!

Ureh
10-28-2014, 11:45 PM
Maybe, maybe not... But let's take any of Kyd's or Tyler's pieces and remove 30-60 seconds from there. I think it could drastically affect the song.

Also each of the samplers was only about 30 seconds, whereas the average length of a full song in the previous games was over 2 minutes (some even topping 4-5 min).

king-hailz
10-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Maybe, maybe not... But let's take any of Kyd's or Tyler's pieces and remove 30-60 seconds from there. I think it could drastically affect the song.

Also each of the samplers was only about 30 seconds, whereas the average length of a full song in the previous games was over 2 minutes (some even topping 4-5 min).

Hearing the exact same fast paced violin beat in every track tells me it's repetitive in the worst way possible... I wouldn't mind hearing the hook of AC2 in every tracks but this is repeating the same annoying violin beat again and again!

ACfan443
10-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Hearing the exact same fast paced violin beat in every track tells me it's repetitive in the worst way possible... I wouldn't mind hearing the hook of AC2 in every tracks but this is repeating the same annoying violin beat again and again!

I'd say that's mainly an issue with volume 1. Volume 2 is actually pretty varied and has a distinctive baroque sound, the more I listen to it the more I like it (which, funnily enough, is the reverse for vol1, my aversion to it grows with each hit of the replay button). I think it'll serve its purpose well in-game, but it probably won't make for great listening material, just too bland and action tv series-like.

Namikaze_17
10-29-2014, 01:01 AM
It's just music...sheesh.

Reptilis91
10-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Well, the volume 1 has really good tracks: Unity, On Father's Watch, Chase by Chase Basis, Versailles for Sore Eyes, A Leap of Faith, A Sneaking Sense of Liberty, A Mystery of Violence, A Clash of Assassins, Belle of the Balloon...

I don't understand how you can just hear repetition... Sometimes we can hear two or three times the same tune, but Kyd also did it.

Volume 2 is even better.

LatinaC09
10-29-2014, 12:43 PM
The soundtrack is not too bad from what I hear of the previews. I need to hear it all before I really make any judgements on it yet.

breakdownthewall
10-29-2014, 01:28 PM
This has actually helped me greatly in getting hyped for the game

LoyalACFan
10-29-2014, 06:22 PM
It's okay IMO, but nothing memorable. Probably the worst AC soundtrack yet, but all the rest have been great so that's not necessarily a horrible thing.

I think there's one thing we can all agree on though; Volume 1's track titles have some of the worst puns I've ever seen. "Versailles for Sore Eyes?" Come on, dude.

Reptilis91
10-29-2014, 06:48 PM
One of the best in my opinion. Can't wait to listen to the OST in its entirety! :o

Namikaze_17
10-29-2014, 06:50 PM
The rest are better...

Even Rogue's pints of music sound better.

ACfan443
10-29-2014, 06:55 PM
It's okay IMO, but nothing memorable. Probably the worst AC soundtrack yet, but all the rest have been great so that's not necessarily a horrible thing.

I think there's one thing we can all agree on though; Volume 1's track titles have some of the worst puns I've ever seen. "Versailles for Sore Eyes?" Come on, dude.

Haha, I actually found some of them mildly amusing
"Church and Destroy"
"Put Your Mind at Elise"
"Innocent or Guillotine"
Evidently I have a terrible sense of humour.
But I have to agree, easily the worst. Now it just remains to be seen (or heard for that matter) what Rogue's composer(s) have come up with. I've been impressed with everything I've heard so far so that's a good sign.

Megas_Doux
10-29-2014, 07:02 PM
"Church and Destroy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cClmQtHJpw

Namikaze_17
10-29-2014, 07:29 PM
"Put your mind on Elise" sounds emo... :rolleyes:

king-hailz
10-29-2014, 09:06 PM
"Church and Destroy"
"Put Your Mind at Elise"
"Innocent or Guillotine"
Evidently I have a terrible sense of humour.
But I have to agree, easily the worst. Now it just remains to be seen (or heard for that matter) what Rogue's composer(s) have come up with. I've been impressed with everything I've heard so far so that's a good sign.

Lol so did I... but assassins swagger is just wrong!

Also I think this soundtrack is pretty terrible too... and that's a shame since I think soundtrack plays a big role on the game... I mean we always remember our classic favorite games from the soundtracks... like Mario final fantasy tekken! and a lot of the AC games!

RinoTheBouncer
10-29-2014, 09:44 PM
I’ve listened to the samples. Nothing too remarkable, but then again, I couldn’t find any remarkable tracks from the AC Soundtracks since AC:Revelations, which is the best soundtrack album from the AC franchise, the Sea Shanties were great but the soundtrack album itself had like only 1 or 2 good tracks and same goes for ACIII and none from AC:L. It’s really sad cause they set the bar so high with AC:R that the whole album is perfect and after that, it’s like they didn’t even try to get close to that level.

king-hailz
10-29-2014, 10:03 PM
I’ve listened to the samples. Nothing too remarkable, but then again, I couldn’t find any remarkable tracks from the AC Soundtracks since AC:Revelations, which is the best soundtrack album from the AC franchise, the Sea Shanties were great but the soundtrack album itself had like only 1 or 2 good tracks and same goes for ACIII and none from AC:L. It’s really sad cause they set the bar so high with AC:R that the whole album is perfect and after that, it’s like they didn’t even try to get close to that level.

Your right... but at least AC3 main theme was great... this main theme sounds very dull and emotionless... ac4 was good for the setting but I didn't really like it other than that... acr was amazing but ac2 beats it for me... but they are very close. They Should keep jesper kyd and lorne balfe as the two main composers for the entire franchise!

RinoTheBouncer
10-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Your right... but at least AC3 main theme was great... this main theme sounds very dull and emotionless... ac4 was good for the setting but I didn't really like it other than that... acr was amazing but ac2 beats it for me... but they are very close. They Should keep jesper kyd and lorne balfe as the two main composers for the entire franchise!

Yeah. I don’t see what’s so hard about keeping Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe. Did any problem happen between Ubisoft and either of them? The reason why Silent Hill and Final Fantasy have the best soundtracks is because the composers are almost always the same. In SH for example, Akira Yamaoka did the soundtracks for every game except for Downpour and since SH3, Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn joined him for vocal tracks and the result is nothing short of outstanding. I listening to SH songs more than normal music that goes on charts and all because it’s absolutely amazing and not something you can only hear as BGM in the game, but rather well-composed tracks with well-written lyrics and brilliant vocals.

Regarding the best AC soundtrack. I love ACII and ACI soundtrack so much, and some tracks on the AC:B album are really remarkable like Desmond Miles, The Brotherhood Escapes and Apple Chamber, but AC:R to me is the one that beats right inside my heart. The main theme is absolutely the best, the rest are perfect, including Desmond’s Journey and The Lost Archive. You can really feel something with each sound and I just loved how there are different variations of the main theme played in with different instruments and scattered throughout the soundtrack. It gives the game a distinctive theme, just like how Ezio’s Family and Earth were the dominate theme of ACII, but it’s more frequent in AC:R and absolutely wonderful.

I loved how there are more historical-sounding tracks and also very modern and electronic ones in AC:R, the latter being present majorly throughout the Desmond’s Journey segment and they were perfect and same goes for The Lost Archive, while the former dominated the historical segment and Ezio’s personality, age and feelings, the love story with Sofia, the warmth of the Turkish atmosphere, not to mention the sorrow in Altair’s story. I could talk all day about how much I love it and how I dream to have something like it in the future.

Sushiglutton
10-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Not as good as this ;):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hCSCgX8A8&list=PLTmDkbp_w-HTFDvyrG0iRmkChG8aeGZYD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXhhdNL05sY&index=1&list=PLTmDkbp_w-HTFDvyrG0iRmkChG8aeGZYD

king-hailz
10-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Yeah. I don’t see what’s so hard about keeping Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe. Did any problem happen between Ubisoft and either of them? The reason why Silent Hill and Final Fantasy have the best soundtracks is because the composers are almost always the same. In SH for example, Akira Yamaoka did the soundtracks for every game except for Downpour and since SH3, Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn joined him for vocal tracks and the result is nothing short of outstanding. I listening to SH songs more than normal music that goes on charts and all because it’s absolutely amazing and not something you can only hear as BGM in the game, but rather well-composed tracks with well-written lyrics and brilliant vocals.

Regarding the best AC soundtrack. I love ACII and ACI soundtrack so much, and some tracks on the AC:B album are really remarkable like Desmond Miles, The Brotherhood Escapes and Apple Chamber, but AC:R to me is the one that beats right inside my heart. The main theme is absolutely the best, the rest are perfect, including Desmond’s Journey and The Lost Archive. You can really feel something with each sound and I just loved how there are different variations of the main theme played in with different instruments and scattered throughout the soundtrack. It gives the game a distinctive theme, just like how Ezio’s Family and Earth were the dominate theme of ACII, but it’s more frequent in AC:R and absolutely wonderful.

I loved how there are more historical-sounding tracks and also very modern and electronic ones in AC:R, the latter being present majorly throughout the Desmond’s Journey segment and they were perfect and same goes for The Lost Archive, while the former dominated the historical segment and Ezio’s personality, age and feelings, the love story with Sofia, the warmth of the Turkish atmosphere, not to mention the sorrow in Altair’s story. I could talk all day about how much I love it and how I dream to have something like it in the future.

I always find myself agreeing with you more than anyone else on these forums! But yeah I love ACR soundtrack... especially when we see Altair and the main theme plays... just WOW! Seriously we need to contact Ubisoft some how and tell them that jesper kyd and lorne balfe should be the lead composers of the franchise!

Dev_Anj
10-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Yeah. I don’t see what’s so hard about keeping Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe.

What if they have no interest or little interest in composing for AC, and are interested in other projects? I hear Jesper Kyd has been taking up a lot of indie projects lately, so he may not have time for Assassin's Creed.

Also no, you don't get good OSTs just by keeping the composers the same. On the contrary, that can make soundtracks sound too similar and create a feeling of repetition and lack of freshness in the series.

king-hailz
10-30-2014, 01:59 AM
What if they have no interest or little interest in composing for AC, and are interested in other projects? I hear Jesper Kyd has been taking up a lot of indie projects lately, so he may not have time for Assassin's Creed.

Also no, you don't get good OSTs just by keeping the composers the same. On the contrary, that can make soundtracks sound too similar and create a feeling of repetition and lack of freshness in the series.

Yes but then have the lead composers work with other composers... to create a fresh sound but still making it fit with AC. Also kyd said in an interview he is ready to work with ubisoft when they want him... same with balfe I think...

Dev_Anj
10-31-2014, 02:19 AM
Yes but then have the lead composers work with other composers... to create a fresh sound but still making it fit with AC. Also kyd said in an interview he is ready to work with ubisoft when they want him... same with balfe I think...

Music isn't as simple as that, simply putting in the old composers can create a sense of repetition and a lack of freshness. Also, I have the feeling that Jesper Kyd said that only to be diplomatic, but in reality he's busy with other projects and will decide to come back to Ubisoft if he feels like it.

pirate1802
10-31-2014, 07:15 AM
I remember when AC4 preview came up, I downloaded then and listened over and over again. This time I have barely the interest to finish listening, let alone download and replay... *shudders* Disappointed. I'd agree that by the previews it does seem to beat AC3 for the worst tracks in the series.

Farlander1991
10-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Is it me, or The Hard Cell is based on Ezio's Theme? (wonder if it's got anything to do with the Subject 16-like glyphs on the wall in the cells and connection to other Assassins)

RinoTheBouncer
10-31-2014, 02:23 PM
I always find myself agreeing with you more than anyone else on these forums! But yeah I love ACR soundtrack... especially when we see Altair and the main theme plays... just WOW! Seriously we need to contact Ubisoft some how and tell them that jesper kyd and lorne balfe should be the lead composers of the franchise!

Oh yeah, I agree with your posts often. We seem to have the similar minds hehe :D
Yeah the Ezio themes were just epic in AC:R. They build an atmosphere, some sort of theme and feeling for the whole experience and not just random sounds that can only be heard in the game and nowhere else. I wish they bring them back. I mean why not?

I don’t know the reason, that’s why I’m asking. But it’s kinda known that franchises prefer to have a certain theme for their soundtracks and that cannot be accomplished easily by changing the composers. I know the games have different themes, but nobody seemed to get the soul of AC musically like Kyd and Balfe.

Maybe they’ll sound similar, but the alternative wasn’t really any good. I’d rather have similar than reductive. People are easily impressed when they hear the term “new” and “fresh” not thinking about what kind of new is this “new”, is it a good new or a bad new? so far, there hasn’t been any soundtracks after AC:R that sounded as good and as atmospheric as those from ACI to AC:R and parts of ACIII’s soundtrack.

Dev_Anj
11-01-2014, 07:26 AM
I don’t know the reason, that’s why I’m asking. But it’s kinda known that franchises prefer to have a certain theme for their soundtracks and that cannot be accomplished easily by changing the composers. I know the games have different themes, but nobody seemed to get the soul of AC musically like Kyd and Balfe.

And what is that soul?

so far, there hasn’t been any soundtracks after AC:R that sounded as good and as atmospheric as those from ACI to AC:R and parts of ACIII’s soundtrack.

What about AC 4's ambient pieces?

My point is, you can't get good music simply by keeping the composers the same, or keeping old composers on board.

pirate1802
11-01-2014, 07:36 AM
And what is that soul?

The Life and Times of Godzio Goditore.

Simply one of the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtMOQYMyYiU&index=34&list=PLO_WZCimKasyFnho3dnsVhEi0m7msYlxU&spfreload=10&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO2AbxQnsdI&list=PLO_WZCimKasyFnho3dnsVhEi0m7msYlxU&index=15&spfreload=10&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqICDKQ3rNw&index=31&list=PLO_WZCimKasyFnho3dnsVhEi0m7msYlxU&spfreload=10&hd=1

If these aren't good then I don't know what is. I'd rank them right among the best of the series, but then again, these may be lacking.... soul :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
11-01-2014, 07:50 AM
^ Is* the best.

I wouldn't mind Lorne Balfe returning, if for another sequel or two (not chronologically), but I want Jesper Kyd to stay away. I'm completely burnt out on him.

Namikaze_17
11-01-2014, 08:04 AM
I actually like the rotation of composers tbh.

Having just Kyd or Balfe would just get stale eventually.

And I also somewhat feel as if people's nostalgia get in the way of their judgment of new composer(s) when compared to their favorite in the AC Series.

( I.e. Kyd/ Balfe)

pirate1802
11-01-2014, 08:23 AM
IAnd I also somewhat feel as if people's nostalgia get in the way of their judgment of new composer(s) when compared to their favorite in the AC Series.

Preach brother!

JustPlainQuirky
11-02-2014, 02:43 AM
underwhelming.

Namikaze_17
11-02-2014, 03:33 AM
"Hey! Your opinion must be mature, May." :rolleyes:

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 01:55 PM
And what is that soul?

My point is, you can't get good music simply by keeping the composers the same, or keeping old composers on board.

And we’re not getting any good music with the new composers either.
ACIV was OK, it wasn’t anything special like AC:R or even ACI.

The soul is what Lorne Balfe and Jesper Kyd were able to present in ACI to ACIII and it didn’t sound similar, not even one bit of it was similar and yet it was still much more impressive than anything from Liberation, ACIV, Freedom Cry or ACU and AC:Ro.

The Life and Times of Godzio Goditore.

Haha, well they tried to copy the music of Godzio Goditore with AC:Rogue theme, and the result felt reductive. So the solution is obviously not copying the past success over and over and neither of the old ACs, including Ezio’s trilogy had copy/paste soundtracks.

If Ezio’s trilogy happened to have music, story and gameplay that made so many people happy, that’s not a fault or a shame, LOL. It’s not their fault that whatever came after wasn’t as good.

ACfan443
11-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Is this first AC official soundtrack to not include any free-roam ambient music? By that I mean the track list is comprised entirely of in-mission and combat music. AC3 didn't have free roam tracks in-game, but the album itself had quite a few.

overdidd
11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Needs more farts.

Dev_Anj
11-02-2014, 02:32 PM
And we’re not getting any good music with the new composers either.

Subjective.

The soul is what Lorne Balfe and Jesper Kyd were able to present in ACI to ACIII

All this really tells me is that you have a bias towards Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe composed tracks, and so when you hear tracks from other composers in an AC album, you expect the same sort and tone of music, and get disappointed.

Because no, what they composed is by no means the "soul" of AC. If by "soul" you mean core, than the core of AC was always visiting historical locations and playing as the member of an assassinating cult who could silently kill targets but also murder lots of enemies if needed, going by the first game. If the music had been composed by someone else, nothing about this would have changed.

and it didn’t sound similar, not even one bit of it was similar

A blatant lie. As someone who's not as fond of these soundtracks as others, even though I enjoy them, I can tell that they all reused parts and pieces from previous music pieces. AC 2 reused music loops from AC 1(albeit quite subtly), AC: Brotherhood blatantly had rehashes of AC 2's music, and even the rest took bits and pieces from AC 2's music. AC: R was an attempt at a mix of tracks that reused some tracks from AC 2, but added a Turkish/Arabic twist, and some original tracks that still had parts of AC 2 and some of AC 1. I didn't hear much of AC 3's music but I think that reused parts and pieces of the previous music pieces as well.

If Ezio’s trilogy happened to have music, story and gameplay that made so many people happy, that’s not a fault or a shame, LOL. It’s not their fault that whatever came after wasn’t as good.

As far as music of the AC games go, they've never been mentioned as a huge, prominent strong point by the general public. The only song of the whole franchise that's got popular is Ezio's Family, and to an extent Access the Animus, and both seem to be popular more because they are played at pivotal moments than anything else.

So no, I don't think that's true.

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Subjective.

Indeed. But I don’t see as many people obsessed about AC:U samples or ACIV or AC:L as much as those obsessed with those from the games before. The opinion about the soundtracks in AC:R before being better than what we’re getting now is almost unanimous. And everything posted here is obviously opinions of people, so saying “I don’t like it” isn’t really an invalid argument. There’s nothing to prove about a song that you like or do not like.

All this really tells me is that you have a bias towards Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe composed tracks, and so when you hear tracks from other composers in an AC album, you expect the same sort and tone of music, and get disappointed.

Bias? why? are we like cousins? best friends? boyfriends? no. I just happened to like their work more than the others. And with soundtracks, I barely care who makes them, but when I saw the quality declining starting from ACIII, I started looking up the names and while most people obsess over Kyd and ACII soundtrack, I prefer Lorne Balfe’s music from AC:R in themes such as “The Revelation”, “Labored and Lost:”, “AC Theme” and the likes.

Because no, what they composed is by no means the "soul" of AC. If by "soul" you mean core, than the core of AC was always visiting historical locations and playing as the member of an assassinating cult who could silently kill targets but also murder lots of enemies if needed, going by the first game. If the music had been composed by someone else, nothing about this would have changed.

When a composer or two make music for a franchise since the very beginning and up until the 5th installment, people will automatically feel that this is the main style, the core, the feeling of it. It’s nothing new. Silent Hill always had Akira Yamaoka making the soundtracks and when Daniel Licht came with the 8th entry, Downpour, making the soundtrack, people weren’t so happy, and now that Silent Hills has been announced, Akira’s return is almost imminent as he expressed interest.

Why? because he helped create something original and everybody enjoyed it. It did feel similar at some point, but it helped create the atmosphere of the franchise. And yes, the core of AC was always visiting historical locations and playing as a silent killer..etc. that’s just the main idea of the games. Had the games kept changing composers since the very first game, the reaction would’ve been different, because nobody would’ve gotten so used to that style. And had the music presented by Kyd and Balfe been mediocre from the start, people wouldn’t have kept calling out for their return.

A blatant lie. As someone who's not as fond of these soundtracks as others, even though I enjoy them, I can tell that they all reused parts and pieces from previous music pieces. AC 2 reused music loops from AC 1(albeit quite subtly), AC: Brotherhood blatantly had rehashes of AC 2's music, and even the rest took bits and pieces from AC 2's music. AC: R was an attempt at a mix of tracks that reused some tracks from AC 2, but added a Turkish/Arabic twist, and some original tracks that still had parts of AC 2 and some of AC 1. I didn't hear much of AC 3's music but I think that reused parts and pieces of the previous music pieces as well.

I wouldn’t really lie to prove a point. I don’t see how AC:R is in any way similar to ACII or AC:B. ACI is also different from. Yes, there were some mutual sounds and themes, but it wasn’t like how the “new composers” did with AC:Rogue by blatantly copying Ezio’s Family.

The resampling was more of a theme than a simple copy/paste. When the music that plays in AC:R during Altair’s Library segment was very close to that from ACI, it helped remind us of the atmosphere of that era. Like a theme for a character. Like how Tomb Raider’s theme is almost always the same, just different instruments and mixes. And that’s not something negative or cheap.

Also saying that people only like Ezio’s Family is not true at all. Many tracks from ACI to ACIII are highly regarded by fans.

As far as music of the AC games go, they've never been mentioned as a huge, prominent strong point by the general public. The only song of the whole franchise that's got popular is Ezio's Family, and to an extent Access the Animus, and both seem to be popular more because they are played at pivotal moments than anything else.

So no, I don't think that's true.

The soundtracks were never VERY impressive like Final Fantasy or Silent Hill or Hans Zimmer’s tracks or Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, but they were indeed better than they are now, at least better than AC:Unity and Rogue and the majority of the tracks on ACIV OST.

A lot of people are so obsessed with ‘fresh' and ‘new’, not thinking whether this ‘new’ is better than what we’ve had or not. Like as long as it’s new, let’s cheer for it, even if it sucks.

Reptilis91
11-02-2014, 03:11 PM
4 tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/larkoz-1/dantons-sacrifice
https://soundcloud.com/larkoz-1/chandeliers-and-carnage
https://soundcloud.com/larkoz-1/versailles-for-sore-eyes
https://soundcloud.com/larkoz-1/ballroom-fight

Damn the soundtrack is amazing

LatinaC09
11-02-2014, 03:59 PM
4 tracks:

Thanks for that. I am standing by hopefully the soundtrack will leak today. I'll be buying it anyways but I just really want to listen to it now lol.

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I’m still wondering why the iTunes Store has only ACU but not AC Rogue, even when AC:Ro OST is now available on Google Play and Amazon... *sigh*

Dev_Anj
11-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Indeed. But I don’t see as many people obsessed about AC:U samples or ACIV or AC:L as much as those obsessed with those from the games before. The opinion about the soundtracks in AC:R before being better than what we’re getting now is almost unanimous.

This is just an argument you constructed out of you meeting people who share your thoughts on the soundtracks. I've seen plenty of people say that AC 4's music is the best in Youtube comments, forum posts, and the like. AC: L was a side game, and so of course it isn't as popular as the main games. How can you form that opinion of AC: Unity's soundtrack when it hasn't even been released, and mostly only the people in this forum, and a few people following the Unite program have got to listen to it?

Bias? why? are we like cousins? best friends? boyfriends? no. I just happened to like their work more than the others. And with soundtracks, I barely care who makes them, but when I saw the quality declining starting from ACIII, I started looking up the names and while most people obsess over Kyd and ACII soundtrack, I prefer Lorne Balfe’s music from AC:R in themes such as “The Revelation”, “Labored and Lost:”, “AC Theme” and the likes.

Because of your posts.

When a composer or two make music for a franchise since the very beginning and up until the 5th installment, people will automatically feel that this is the main style, the core, the feeling of it. It’s nothing new. Silent Hill always had Akira Yamaoka making the soundtracks and when Daniel Licht came with the 8th entry, Downpour, making the soundtrack, people weren’t so happy, and now that Silent Hills has been announced, Akira’s return is almost imminent as he expressed interest.

Not true. Composers aren't free to make whatever music they want, they often need to follow the demands of the directors and scriptwriters, and a lot of their music is often thrown out. So having the same composer doesn't mean that people will feel that it's the main style. Jesper Kyd made the music from Hitman: Codename 47 to Hitman: Blood Money, and all of them were dramatically different. While several Hitman fans like them, not many have said that any single one of the soundtracks is the main style, core or feeling of Hitman.

And had the music presented by Kyd and Balfe been mediocre from the start, people wouldn’t have kept calling out for their return.

Here's a funny thing: When AC 1 was released, many people bashed it as a mediocre game. The strong points of the game were frequently cited as the good graphics, the free roaming, and the concept of assassinating people in historical settings. Note that the soundtrack wasn't brought up that often back then. Most people dismissed the soundtrack as a decent backdrop, and some even thought it was too staid.

So essentially if we are to go by the response of the people, AC 1 had a mediocre soundtrack and Jesper Kyd's music in the AC series was mediocre from the start.

(By the way, I don't think the AC 1 soundtrack is mediocre, I think it's decent, and I like it for having a lot of variety, probably the most in any AC soundtrack so far).

I wouldn’t really lie to prove a point. I don’t see how AC:R is in any way similar to ACII or AC:B. ACI is also different from. Yes, there were some mutual sounds and themes, but it wasn’t like how the “new composers” did with AC:Rogue by blatantly copying Ezio’s Family.

The resampling was more of a theme than a simple copy/paste. When the music that plays in AC:R during Altair’s Library segment was very close to that from ACI, it helped remind us of the atmosphere of that era. Like a theme for a character. Like how Tomb Raider’s theme is almost always the same, just different instruments and mixes. And that’s not something negative or cheap.

You can't see how AC:R's music blatantly borrows stuff from AC 2 and AC: B with Turkish or Arabic twists? I don't want to hunt down specific tracks, but I clearly remember bits and pieces being used in AC:R's music.

Also I don't think rehashing two songs for one theme is cheaper than AC: B's soundtrack, where they rehashed whole songs. Besides, you can't say that Rogue's soundtrack is cheap if you haven't heard it in game, in the proper context.

Also saying that people only like Ezio’s Family is not true at all. Many tracks from ACI to ACIII are highly regarded by fans.

I didn't say that people liked only Ezio's Family. I said that it was the only song to become very popular from the AC series. Sure, fans like other music pieces, but there's no evidence that the other music pieces are popular, sure the uploads of AC music on Youtube gets lots of views, but that's more due to AC being a huge series than anything else. If you want to use Youtube views as proof that the music from AC 1 to AC 3 was more popular, let me just say that the views for AC 4's music is also very high.

The soundtracks were never VERY impressive like Final Fantasy or Silent Hill or Hans Zimmer’s tracks or Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, but they were indeed better than they are now, at least better than AC:Unity and Rogue and the majority of the tracks on ACIV OST.

Subjective. There are people who don't like those soundtracks, and quite a few critics of Hans Zimmer's work.

A lot of people are so obsessed with ‘fresh' and ‘new’, not thinking whether this ‘new’ is better than what we’ve had or not. Like as long as it’s new, let’s cheer for it, even if it sucks.

You're missing the point. What I said was that keeping the same composers is in no way a sure method of getting good soundtracks. In the end, it depends on a lot of factors, and there are many cases where a soundtrack for one episode of a series is less successful than the soundtrack for the next episode of the series, even when the composer, writer and directors are the same. I just wanted to discourage the notion that keeping the same composers would lead to good soundtracks.

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 05:12 PM
This is just an argument you constructed out of you meeting people who share your thoughts on the soundtracks. I've seen plenty of people say that AC 4's music is the best in Youtube comments, forum posts, and the like. AC: L was a side game, and so of course it isn't as popular as the main games. How can you form that opinion of AC: Unity's soundtrack when it hasn't even been released, and mostly only the people in this forum, and a few people following the Unite program have got to listen to it?

I don’t have any people who like AC that I discuss these stuff with, in real life. All my ideas about the OSTs are taken from Forum posts and polls, YouTube comments and the likes. So you’re pretty much constructing your opinion the same way as I am.

Because of your posts.

Yes, my posts talk about my interests in certain soundtrack albums over others. Of course I’m not gonna bother praising soundtracks that I do not like. But I’m neither related to the composers nor am I being paid to pretend to like their work. It just happened to appeal to me. I don’t understand why you and others make it sound like liking Ezio’s Trilogy happens out of blind imitation and some sort of a conspiracy against new games rather than simply understanding that we love those games that much because they appealed to us.

Not true. Composers aren't free to make whatever music they want, they often need to follow the demands of the directors and scriptwriters, and a lot of their music is often thrown out. So having the same composer doesn't mean that people will feel that it's the main style. Jesper Kyd made the music from Hitman: Codename 47 to Hitman: Blood Money, and all of them were dramatically different. While several Hitman fans like them, not many have said that any single one of the soundtracks is the main style, core or feeling of Hitman.

So by this logic, if you bring Lady Gaga and Red One to sing and compose songs for AC, they’re still gonna sound the same as Jesper and Lorne’s work? please... these composers do receive instructions about what they should be making, yet their mark on the soundtrack is always present, that’s why people prefer one composer over the other, because many it’s a well known thing that some composers seem to ‘get’ the atmosphere of a certain work, game, singer, film, series, game than others.

Here's a funny thing: When AC 1 was released, many people bashed it as a mediocre game. The strong points of the game were frequently cited as the good graphics, the free roaming, and the concept of assassinating people in historical settings. Note that the soundtrack wasn't brought up that often back then. Most people dismissed the soundtrack as a decent backdrop, and some even thought it was too staid.

So essentially if we are to go by the response of the people, AC 1 had a mediocre soundtrack and Jesper Kyd's music in the AC series was mediocre from the start.

(By the way, I don't think the AC 1 soundtrack is mediocre, I think it's decent, and I like it for having a lot of variety, probably the most in any AC soundtrack so far).

AC soundtrack was never something praised very much. The praise was mainly something among fans and from what I’ve seen so far, AC’s music doesn’t seem to be getting better than it used to be.

You can't see how AC:R's music blatantly borrows stuff from AC 2 and AC: B with Turkish or Arabic twists? I don't want to hunt down specific tracks, but I clearly remember bits and pieces being used in AC:R's music.

Even if that’s true, at least the final outcome was

Dev_Anj
11-02-2014, 06:01 PM
I don’t have any people who like AC that I discuss these stuff with, in real life. All my ideas about the OSTs are taken from Forum posts and polls, YouTube comments and the likes. So you’re pretty much constructing your opinion the same way as I am.

My point is, you don't have much proof to say that AC 1 to AC 3's soundtracks are considered "unanimously" better than AC 4, AC: L or AC: Unity and AC: Rogue, especially since the soundtracks of AC: Unity and AC: Rogue haven't been released yet.

So by this logic, if you bring Lady Gaga and Red One to sing and compose songs for AC, they’re still gonna sound the same as Jesper and Lorne’s work?

No, and that wasn't the point I was making. I said that just because the composer stays the same doesn't mean that people will assume that the style of one soundtrack in the series is the core, the feel or representative of the general tone of the series. Again, just listen to Jesper Kyd's music for Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman 2, Hitman: Contracts and Hitman: Blood Money. All four are radically different, with only Blood Money reusing some parts of Hitman 2 and Hitman: Contracts' main themes (and few people complained that reusing parts of those themes was cheap).

rrebe
11-02-2014, 06:08 PM
4 tracks:

So far I really love what I'm hearing, can't wait to listen to the whole soundtrack! Thanks for sharing :)

Farlander1991
11-02-2014, 08:53 PM
So funny reading some of the feedback regarding Rogue's theme.
ACB reusing like half of AC2 tracks? From Ezio's Family/Venice Rooftops to Approaching Target music to 'mysterious' sanctuary/Leonardo's Inventions kind of stuff to reuse of old themes in what are supposed to be new tracks (like Rome music being more than heavily based on Venice music)? Fine.
ACR getting music straight from AC1 (No Mistakes that was used in Ezio's sections is one of the horse riding music in AC1, Betrayal being the Bureau, The Traitor, if I'm not confusing the ACR track name, being Meditation of the Assassin) as well as from time to time using as Dev_Anj mentioned previous music for inspiration/rearrangement? That's fine too.
ACIII reusing ACR themes (like the Templar theme and, for some reason, Sofia Sartor theme that was used in the Homestead)? All good.

But Rogue making its theme a compilation of different AC music of the last generation and incorporating, for a bit, Ezio's theme? (and that, judging by the soundtrack samples, is the only track that is directly inspired by previous AC music) Now that's creatively bankrupt for some reason >_<

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 09:03 PM
My point is, you don't have much proof to say that AC 1 to AC 3's soundtracks are considered "unanimously" better than AC 4, AC: L or AC: Unity and AC: Rogue, especially since the soundtracks of AC: Unity and AC: Rogue haven't been released yet.

The proof you’re looking for is everywhere on the internet. If you look carefully, you’ll see it. And if you care to further the discussion, feel free to bring your proof to the assumption that soundtracks of games from ACIV up are better than the past ones. I think we have enough threads that show how people are interested in the return of Kyd and Balfe and praising their work. The proof your asking for is like asking me to prove that there is a sun in the sky.

No, and that wasn't the point I was making. I said that just because the composer stays the same doesn't mean that people will assume that the style of one soundtrack in the series is the core, the feel or representative of the general tone of the series. Again, just listen to Jesper Kyd's music for Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman 2, Hitman: Contracts and Hitman: Blood Money. All four are radically different, with only Blood Money reusing some parts of Hitman 2 and Hitman: Contracts' main themes (and few people complained that reusing parts of those themes was cheap).

I’m not a huge fan of Jesper Kyd, I prefer Lorne Balfe’s work on AC:R, not even AC:B or ACII, but I believe that even those tracks that I don’t like much in from the past games are still better than what we’re getting now. Say that I have a bad taste, but this is just how I feel and how many of us on these forums at least feel about it.

The new ones you seem to trust so much don’t seem to have created a masterpiece that preserves the “core” either and you seem to argue about it just for the sake of arguing. I can tell you that I’m not closed minded about trying new things, but I don’t want reductive new things. Oh and regarding “cheap” themes, that’s subjective.

Namikaze_17
11-02-2014, 09:08 PM
4 tracks:

Meh, the only one I liked is Danton's Sacrifice.

Dev_Anj
11-03-2014, 01:46 AM
The proof you’re looking for is everywhere on the internet.

No, the proof you're talking about is hardly going to stand well to statistical analysis, because you're basing it off things like Youtube comments, forum posts etc. and these are for the most part a minor part of the internet and the general number of players buying AC games, not a huge demographic. Also why do I need to show any proof for AC 4's music? Just go to the Youtube video for the album and read the comments, a lot of them say that it's the best AC soundtrack.

I think we have enough threads that show how people are interested in the return of Kyd and Balfe and praising their work.

I'm at the front page of the forum, and I can't see any such threads right now. Links please? Also that alone isn't good evidence that people like Kyd and Balfe's music more, because as I said the forums are a small part of the number of people playing AC.

The new ones you seem to trust so much don’t seem to have created a masterpiece that preserves the “core” either and you seem to argue about it just for the sake of arguing.
Again, you're missing the point. What I'm actually trying to do is discourage the notion that keeping the composers same would lead to good soundtracks. Music isn't as simple as that.

RinoTheBouncer
11-03-2014, 02:23 AM
No, the proof you're talking about is hardly going to stand well to statistical analysis, because you're basing it off things like Youtube comments, forum posts etc. and these are for the most part a minor part of the internet and the general number of players buying AC games, not a huge demographic. Also why do I need to show any proof for AC 4's music? Just go to the Youtube video for the album and read the comments, a lot of them say that it's the best AC soundtrack.

I'm at the front page of the forum, and I can't see any such threads right now. Links please? Also that alone isn't good evidence that people like Kyd and Balfe's music more, because as I said the forums are a small part of the number of people playing AC.

Dude, you’re contradicting yourself over and over. In your last post, you claim to get your idea that ACIV is the best soundtrack from forums, youtube comments, videos and polls while I get the idea about Kyd and Balfe’s music being the best from a few people I know who agree with me and then again you use YouTube views to show that its views are very high. And now you say that what you used as an argument does not work if I use it because it’s not a huge demographic, and still come back and say “go to youtube and see the comments, a lot of them say it’s the best”.

So I’ll answer by your logic, go see YouTube videos of old soundtracks and read the comments and if you’re not convincing go around knocking doors of people and asking them if they like the music or not. LOL. If the poll and forum posts don’t convince you, and youtube views are not a good proof for Jesper’s music but are a good one for ACIV’s then you’re basically tailoring the argument to suit you. I’m not telling you that you shouldn’t like ACIV’s music just because it doesn’t appeal to me. If you’re not convinced by YouTube and the polls on the forums, that’s your problem so you find an alternative to that.

If you can’t see the thread, look them up, there’s a search function and a thread on the main forum which you personally posted in, today. I’m sure if you compare the ACII and AC:R with ACIV, you’ll see that I’m not wrong after all. And I’m only pointing this out cause you asked to see such a thread.

Again, you're missing the point. What I'm actually trying to do is discourage the notion that keeping the composers same would lead to good soundtracks. Music isn't as simple as that. And music isn’t as simple as bringing beginners who never worked on a soundtrack before to try their luck with a Assassin’s Creed, either and the outcome kinda proves my point.

Dev_Anj
11-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Dude, you’re contradicting yourself over and over. In your last post, you claim to get your idea that ACIV is the best soundtrack from forums, youtube comments, videos and polls while I get the idea about Kyd and Balfe’s music being the best from a few people I know who agree with me and then again you use YouTube views to show that its views are very high. And now you say that what you used as an argument does not work if I use it because it’s not a huge demographic, and still come back and say “go to youtube and see the comments, a lot of them say it’s the best”.

So I’ll answer by your logic, go see YouTube videos of old soundtracks and read the comments and if you’re not convincing go around knocking doors of people and asking them if they like the music or not. LOL. If the poll and forum posts don’t convince you, and youtube views are not a good proof for Jesper’s music but are a good one for ACIV’s then you’re basically tailoring the argument to suit you. I’m not telling you that you shouldn’t like ACIV’s music just because it doesn’t appeal to me. If you’re not convinced by YouTube and the polls on the forums, that’s your problem so you find an alternative to that.

Where am I contradicting myself? You just said that your conclusion on AC music's popularity is based off a few people who met(who are too small to count as a statistical measure) and Youtube comments and forum posts(again not a reliable statistical measure for similar reasons).

I'm just saying that if you're going by stuff like Youtube comments and forum posts, there's very little evidence that AC 1 to AC 3 soundtracks are more popular than AC 4's soundtrack. The proof is simple, the AC 4 album on Youtube has a lot of comments saying that it's the best AC soundtrack, the videos of other albums also have similar comments and all of them have a similar number of views. Actually if we are going by Youtube views, AC: Revelations is the least popular soundtrack, because it has slightly lower number of views than the rest.

My point is that there is no good statistical proof that AC 1 to AC 3's music is more popular among the AC players or the general public. The only music pieces that did become popular was Ezio's Family, and to an extent Access the Animus.

RinoTheBouncer
11-03-2014, 03:19 AM
Where am I contradicting myself? You just said that your conclusion on AC music's popularity is based off a few people who met(who are too small to count as a statistical measure) and Youtube comments and forum posts(again not a reliable statistical measure for similar reasons).

I'm just saying that if you're going by stuff like Youtube comments and forum posts, there's very little evidence that AC 1 to AC 3 soundtracks are more popular than AC 4's soundtrack. The proof is simple, the AC 4 album on Youtube has a lot of comments saying that it's the best AC soundtrack, the videos of other albums also have similar comments and all of them have a similar number of views. Actually if we are going by Youtube views, AC: Revelations is the least popular soundtrack, because it has slightly lower number of views than the rest.

My point is that there is no good statistical proof that AC 1 to AC 3's music is more popular among the AC players or the general public. The only music pieces that did become popular was Ezio's Family, and to an extent Access the Animus.

Read my post again and you’ll see what I mean. It was you started basing your argument on YouTube, I never mentioned YouTube until you did. You’re making it sound like that movie “Eye for an Eye” where she takes her revenge on the perpetrator and the detective says “You killed him” and she says “prove it”. It’s like we both know that fans in general favor the games and the music of the past games, yet you still insist that nothing on the internet can prove that because it’s a “small demographic” so whatever.

And never have I ever said that I based my opinions on people I met because I wrote it clearly a few posts before that I don’t even know any AC fans so all the information I got were from the internet which is the medium where the soundtracks are distributed. There are no physical copies being sold so people either listen to them online or buy them from the iTunes Store and discuss them on forums.

Ezio’s Family actually got way too famous as a defining theme for the franchise as a whole, it became a defining sound for AC, and other tracks were still appreciated by the fans. You also don’t have a proof that ACIV is more appreciated or is as appreciated as the others and if you wanna use YouTube comments, then you should use YouTube as an evidence for the others as well, not just to prove your point.

pirate1802
11-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Guys, like.. my point is, even if a large number of Godzio fans proclaim that AC I to III was the soul of the series and been lost since, so ****ing what? The opinion of one man is the opinion of one man. But when taking opinions of thousands of men all over internet and youtube, does it become objective fact? If not, they why are we even considering whose side has more supporters? It's so stupid, just like majority of youtube comments. I'm still unconvinced the SOUL OF THE SERIES has been lost, if there was one to begin with, and no number of people believing otherwise can make me believe. Everybody once believed Earth was flat, y'know, if we are going by who said what.

And, isn't this circular logic? What's AC soul? music from AC I to III. Why the music is not good anymore? Cuz the soul is lost. wat?

Also, confirmation bias. You're more likely to find people confirming to your belief and hence think your side is overwhelmingly big. I have a lot of friends who prefer AC IV's music over Kyd's.

Finally, I'd repeat shobhit7777777's quote: "youtube comments must never form the basis of any claim that wants itself to be taken seriously."

kthnxbai

HypeR.tgL
11-03-2014, 09:07 AM
^This.

Fatal-Feit
11-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Guys, like.. my point is, even if a large number of Godzio fans proclaim that AC I to III was the soul of the series and been lost since, so ****ing what? The opinion of one man is the opinion of one man. But when taking opinions of thousands of men all over internet and youtube, does it become objective fact? If not, they why are we even considering whose side has more supporters? It's so stupid, just like majority of youtube comments. I'm still unconvinced the SOUL OF THE SERIES has been lost, if there was one to begin with, and no number of people believing otherwise can make me believe. Everybody once believed Earth was flat, y'know, if we are going by who said what.

And, isn't this circular logic? What's AC soul? music from AC I to III. Why the music is not good anymore? Cuz the soul is lost. wat?

Also, confirmation bias. You're more likely to find people confirming to your belief and hence think your side is overwhelmingly big. I have a lot of friends who prefer AC IV's music over Kyd's.

Finally, I'd repeat shobhit7777777's quote: "youtube comments must never form the basis of any claim that wants itself to be taken seriously."

kthnxbai

:p ...Wow, I can't help but love your posts, even if I sometimes disagree (not that I disagree with this one, I absolutely, wholeheartedly, agree with this post, 100%).

This whole ''soul'' fiasco is strictly, undoubtedly, a personal bias of some people, and just that.

king-hailz
11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
A LOT of people do think AC4 has the best soundtrack but many many more people prefer AC2 soundtrack... and even revelations... I've got this from all the people I know who have played ac all the YouTube comments and basically the Internet....

pirate1802
11-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Ah, now I remember, the phrase is argumentum ad populum. Just because a great many people (read: youtube commentors) believe something (the soul is lost! the soul is lost! Picture a witch doctor maniacally running around a ritual fire here), it must automatically be true. That's what is being engaged here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Fatal-Feit
11-03-2014, 10:12 AM
A LOT of people do think AC4 has the best soundtrack but many many more people prefer AC2 soundtrack... and even revelations... I've got this from all the people I know who have played ac all the YouTube comments and basically the Internet....

No, not Revelations.

Going by the internet, excluding Youtube for obvious reasons, Revelations is one the least popular soundtrack of the franchise. But if we're adding Youtube, we might as well put AC:3 on the list since surprise, surprise, it's the 2nd most popular one on Youtube. But between AC:IV and Revelations, AC:IV loses by a mere few thousand views, but take into consideration that it's the latest in the franchise and its soundtrack had just released a year ago.

On forums and subreddits, it's mostly between AC:2, 4, and 3. Revelations would take 4th.

king-hailz
11-03-2014, 10:30 AM
No, not Revelations.

Going by the internet, excluding Youtube for obvious reasons, Revelations is one the least popular soundtrack of the franchise. But if we're adding Youtube, we might as well put AC:3 on the list since surprise, surprise, it's the 2nd most popular one on Youtube. But between AC:IV and Revelations, AC:IV loses by a mere few thousand views, but take into consideration that it's the latest in the franchise and its soundtrack had just released a year ago.

On forums and subreddits, it's mostly between AC:2, 4, and 3. Revelations would take 4th.

Sorry I knew it's not as popular as the others I was supposed to say I some prefer revelations.... but I don't understand with ac3... The main theme is the best one... but I think ac2 will still be the majorities favorite...

Farlander1991
11-03-2014, 11:47 AM
If we judge based on Amazon mp3 track popularity, which shows how many people buy a certain track, you'll note that AC4 tracks have in general higher popularity than those of AC3, or ACR, or AC2 even (which has got only one track going higher 50% popularity rate - that being Ezio's Family, while AC4 has got 11 tracks that are higher than 50%, most of them close to 70%-80%. AC4's real contenders are ACB and AC1.

I think the percentage is relative from the top-selling track (though I might be wrong on this as I saw albums where none of the popularity markings were at 100%), but it still shows a picture of how people are buying these tracks (i.e. those who buy AC2 standalone tracks mostly buy just Ezio's Family, while AC4's purchase are much more varied and all at a high rank, while AC3 is mostly selling just the main theme and main theme variation while everything else is way down in popularity).

And the Album as a whole is second in rankings among the AC games, the first being ACII (ACII is approx. 2000 in rank, AC4 is 15000, ACB is 18000, AC3 is 19000, AC1 is 32000, and ACR is 43000).

This is not 'all people I know' or 'I've seen YouTube comments', this is people paying their money on a store on stand-alone tracks and whole albums with well-tracked statistics, and AC4 fares better than most AC games.

RinoTheBouncer
11-03-2014, 12:30 PM

kthnxbai

Every series has a certain feeling to it and every fan finds something in the series that they enjoy more than others and when that style or thing is changed, they can’t help but feel that the soul is gone. It’s like you see my everyday with my hair style/color, beard, certain style of clothing and all of a sudden you see me change to a whole new style in clothing, hair, hair color, with/without beard..etc. you can’t help but to say “that doesn’t look like you”. People do say that when some things do change.

I’m not even trying to win anything because if I don’t like ACIV’s music, I won’t like it whether I’m alone or there are a trillion other people obsessed with Kyd’s. But something definitely changed about the series that made many people feel like the soul has change and it’s not just a soundtrack or a character and that has nothing to do with believing the Earth is flat, because it’s a fact that it’s not while you might enjoy the new style of AC while others prefer the old one.

Farlander1991
11-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Every series has a certain feeling to it and every fan finds something in the series that they enjoy more than others and when that style or thing is changed, they can’t help but feel that the soul is gone.

This is all so, so, so subjective.

Because there were HUGE changes from AC1 to AC2, in terms of style, atmosphere, and the way the game plays, and not everybody liked it, yet just because you liked it you happily ignore that and consider it a part of 'when the soul was still there', yet for many what made AC1 AC1 was gone for AC2.

But now when you are not fully happy with something, suddenly the soul is gone and the proof is so obvious that it's a fact just as Earth is round is a fact? Wtf? You are free to like whatever you want to like, and there will be lots of people who share your opinion (and lots who don't) but please don't try to paint it as a fact that something is better than something else, because there is enough data on the net, hard data and not just 'it feels like that to me' to show that it's simply not the case and there are TONS of people who love the series as it is now and its direction.

pirate1802
11-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Every series has a certain feeling to it and every fan finds something in the series that they enjoy more than others and when that style or thing is changed, they can’t help but feel that the soul is gone. It’s like you see my everyday with my hair style/color, beard, certain style of clothing and all of a sudden you see me change to a whole new style in clothing, hair, hair color, with/without beard..etc. you can’t help but to say “that doesn’t look like you”. People do say that when some things do change.

One of the beauties of this series is that it has changed cloath, beard, hairstyle so many times over and over that no one can remember what its original look was. So that analogy doesnt quite hold. Even if I wreck my mind over some consistent features my brain cells start exploding trying to find out how AC IV deviated from it, any more that AC III and AC II already did.

I’m not even trying to win anything because if I don’t like ACIV’s music, I won’t like it whether I’m alone or there are a trillion other people obsessed with Kyd’s. But something definitely changed about the series that made many people feel like the soul has change and it’s not just a soundtrack or a character and that has nothing to do with believing the Earth is flat, because it’s a fact that it’s not while you might enjoy the new style of AC while others prefer the old one.

It has, tangentially, because you say that a lot of people feel the soul is lost (the picture of the maniacal witch doctor jumps to my mind again), and since there are a lot of those exasperated at the departure of the dearest soul, it must be true. To put it bluntly, my psyche is not stirred by how many people feel sad at the lost soul. I'm just here to say that there might be gazillion such ailing fans, it matters little because their sheer number does not make their position true, just like a whole earthful of believers did not make the Earth flat once. That was my point.

Also note the you-AC IV (presumably)-others-'soulful ACs' dichotomy at the last line, implying you (me, or AC IV music liker soulless creatures) are less while supporters of the official AC soul are many. And hence implying that the difference of strength is somehow very important.. :rolleyes:

Dev_Anj
11-03-2014, 01:38 PM
I was going to argue some more against Rino The Bouncer's posts and his talk about the "soul" of AC, but I'm glad to see that pirate1802, Farlander1991 and Fatal Feit have done my work here. Cheers to you all! You all wrote pretty great posts here.

LatinaC09
11-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Here's my take on this. I get what some people say about music. I have a thing for a beautiful soundtrack and melody. I for one, love it when movies/tv shows/games have consistent music soundtracks. Think about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. The soundtracks to these movie are iconic and one of the reasons why they are iconic is because they are gorgeous and the same composers are responsible for each album (or in some cases different composers re-use the iconic main themes).

That being said, I realize that Assassin's Creed is different because it's a game. A few years ago had you asked me if I thought Jesper Kyd or Lorne Balfe should compose every AC game I would have said yes. After all AC2 and AC Revelations soundtracks in my opinion are gorgeous. But then I thought about it. AC is different because it takes place (or is supposed to) in our universe. Every game is set in a different era. I didn't like Black Flag's soundtrack but I can't deny that it fit the game and the gameplay really well. Ezio lived in a different time than Edward and I think the music is something that reflects that. The sweet soft melodies of the Renaissance are much different than the swash buckling adventures of the age of piracy that Brian Tyler captured in his music. Even when you listen AC1 and then AC2, you can hear an extreme difference and Kyd was the composer for both of these albums. They are drastically different because they take place in different times.

Different composers for different era's for AC works really well. We may not all like the soundtracks but we can't deny that so far, the composers have done a good job capturing the spirit of the time. This is my opinion of course. I love music and played piano and a few other instruments for many years (still try to when I can). :)

Namikaze_17
11-03-2014, 02:00 PM

I 100% agree.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard such ****ery on YouTube. ( That's why I stopped reading them. ;) )

This is true. Say for instance that there's two types of pizza. ( Cheese and Pepperoni)

If a significant amount of people prefer cheese over pepperoni than most likely the person would do the same.

It's just human nature really.

kthnxbai

Better words couldn't have been said.

TheHumanTowel
11-03-2014, 02:06 PM
]

This is true. Say for instance that there's two types of pizza. ( Cheese and Pepperoni)

If a significant amount of people prefer cheese over pepperoni than most likely the person would do the same.

It's just human nature really.

Cheese is on all pizzas. Pepperoni is a pizza topping.

Namikaze_17
11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Cheese is on all pizzas. Pepperoni is a pizza topping.

You get my point...

TheHumanTowel
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM
You get my point...
I'm just pointing out your analogy is inherently flawed. Inherently I say.

Namikaze_17
11-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Since you inserted that last part.

I'll just consider you're trolling. ;)

TheHumanTowel
11-03-2014, 02:29 PM
People who don't care about ambient music should be euthanised.

Namikaze_17
11-03-2014, 02:36 PM
People who don't care about ambient music should be euthanised.

Uh huh... :rolleyes:

Reptilis91
11-03-2014, 09:40 PM
4 tracks are on Sarah Schachner's Soundcloud:

Rather Death Than Slavery: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/rather-death-than-slavery-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack :o
Danton's Sacrifice: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/dantons-sacrifice-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack
Dark Slayer: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/dark-slayer-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack
Spies, Taxes And The Third Estate: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/spies-taxes-and-the-third-estate-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack

Megas_Doux
11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Danton´s sacrifice is nice, I like it.

Very French, so to speak.

Fatal-Feit
11-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Going by the same analogy, AC lost its ''soul'' after the first game, as the Ezio Trilogy felt more like a parody of the franchise. People, like myself, can argue that the Kenway Trilogy, and the upcoming sequels, have returned to its lost ''soul'', as they're re:invigorating the franchise's moral greyness, along with many other things that was gone.

Namikaze_17
11-03-2014, 10:20 PM
^ This.

rrebe
11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
4 tracks are on Sarah Schachner's Soundcloud:

Rather Death Than Slavery: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/rather-death-than-slavery-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack :o
Danton's Sacrifice: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/dantons-sacrifice-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack
Dark Slayer: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/dark-slayer-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack
Spies, Taxes And The Third Estate: https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner/spies-taxes-and-the-third-estate-assassins-creed-unity-vol-2-official-game-soundtrack

I'm getting more and more excited for ACU soundtrack, can't wait to hopefully hear them all in-game to get the whole feeling of the track.
I especially love Rather Death Than Slavery, I think it sounds cool.

Going by the same analogy, AC lost its ''soul'' after the first game, as the Ezio Trilogy felt more like a parody of the franchise. People, like myself, can argue that the Kenway Trilogy, and the upcoming sequels, have returned to its lost ''soul'', as they're re:invigorating the franchise's moral greyness, along with many other things that was gone.

Well said!