PDA

View Full Version : Infinite random mission or few in-depth hand made ones?

topeira1980
10-18-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm just wondering what the community thinks about this.

there have been opinions about side missions in AC games, and perhaps in games in general.
some say they hate the shallow side mission that involve no lore or story and repeat themselves while the possibility to create simple missions have an advantage when done right.

Infinite random missions can be simple tasks that spawn randomly around the game world and they never end and are always surprising. like killing captains in Shadow Of Mordor - you can consider each assassination of a captain as a random mission that can fit a game like AC - the captain is in a random location and all you are told to do is kill him. there is no lore. no story. no depth. just do it your way.
while it doesnt captivate you like with a back story it also has the advantage to never end and always surprise you since these missions are made up on the spot.
same with watch dogs' random crime missions - they just appear next to you. no story. no fuss. and they are never the same. sadly in WD they are also so easy to accomplish so they almost lack any challenge and fun but that's besides the point. Ubi could as well put 5 criminals in WD and made these missions fun if they thought about it.
Bad blood as nice infinite missions called "street sweep" though they do repeat the same locations so they are not THAT random and infinite but they are a lot of fun, especially with co-op.
FC4 might have these kind of shallow events.
however ppl complain these missions do not interest them since they involve no lore and they feel meaningless.
the worse kind is such missions that are not only without story but also finite and not challenging nor fun.

On the opposite side there are the side missions that are as well made as SP missions or nearly as much. they tend to have more story and emotional effect to them and might have more stages and more complex objectives to them.
the down side is not only they cost more to produce which makes them limited, they also unrepeatable or less replayable so they can only entertain for a much shorter amount of time.

so the question is - if you had to chose between having random side missions that are simple and never end and deep imressive side missions that DO end - what would you chose?
there is an option in between - missions that are semi-scripted hand made and not random but have some randomality in them (kinda like the hesit missions in ACU or the Bad blood's street sweep missions in Watch dogs)?

topeira1980
10-19-2014, 07:41 AM
after the long discussion about how ACIV has side contracts that are too shallow i expected a bigger participation in this poll :-P

no one care enough about how his side content is created and what sort he has the most fun with and wants to share his opinion?

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm just wondering what the community thinks about this.

there have been opinions about side missions in AC games, and perhaps in games in general.
some say they hate the shallow side mission that involve no lore or story and repeat themselves while the possibility to create simple missions have an advantage when done right.

Infinite random missions can be simple tasks that spawn randomly around the game world and they never end and are always surprising. like killing captains in Shadow Of Mordor - you can consider each assassination of a captain as a random mission that can fit a game like AC - the captain is in a random location and all you are told to do is kill him. there is no lore. no story. no depth. just do it your way.
while it doesnt captivate you like with a back story it also has the advantage to never end and always surprise you since these missions are made up on the spot.
same with watch dogs' random crime missions - they just appear next to you. no story. no fuss. and they are never the same. sadly in WD they are also so easy to accomplish so they almost lack any challenge and fun but that's besides the point. Ubi could as well put 5 criminals in WD and made these missions fun if they thought about it.
Bad blood as nice infinite missions called "street sweep" though they do repeat the same locations so they are not THAT random and infinite but they are a lot of fun, especially with co-op.
FC4 might have these kind of shallow events.
however ppl complain these missions do not interest them since they involve no lore and they feel meaningless.
the worse kind is such missions that are not only without story but also finite and not challenging nor fun.

On the opposite side there are the side missions that are as well made as SP missions or nearly as much. they tend to have more story and emotional effect to them and might have more stages and more complex objectives to them.
the down side is not only they cost more to produce which makes them limited, they also unrepeatable or less replayable so they can only entertain for a much shorter amount of time.

so the question is - if you had to chose between having random side missions that are simple and never end and deep imressive side missions that DO end - what would you chose?
there is an option in between - missions that are semi-scripted hand made and not random but have some randomality in them (kinda like the hesit missions in ACU or the Bad blood's street sweep missions in Watch dogs)?

I personally don't like random pointless emerging missions because to me they might as well not be done. Like I stopped doing Courier missions in AC games because it just exists to remind me that content is happening in the world around me. I much prefer well designed intelligent missions and sub-missions.

Like the cool part of Black Flag was that the side-missions scaled up. in the first part you had assassination contracts, then Forts which opened up naval contracts and then later diving missions which opened up the ocean and then finally you have Legendary Ships which needs the upgrades from the earlier side-missions. It wasn't random or pointless but it served the story and was integrated well. in Brotherhood or Revelations, the fact is that the games revolved around the fact that Rome and Istanbul are awesome and filled with amazing architecture so most of the side-missions revolved around featuring missions showing that, so each district had a life and style of its own. But in III, that's a game where the story matters most and most of the side-missions are layered on for no other reason than habit, and poorly integrated into the structure. So you have spooky tunnel-explore missions which do nothing, it's just there.

Sushiglutton
10-19-2014, 10:52 AM
I like systemic content (aka various AI system clashing, or stealth set-up opportunities etc) and I think some kind of regenerating open stealth areas (aka plantations) are a must and they don't really require any backstory, because they have such a strong gameplay component. Then I think there should be some handcrafted, deeper sidemissions with well written stories. To strengthen the toursim aspect there should be a few well crafted mini-games like the boardgames in AC3.

What I absolutely hate is organized mini-missions like courier, husband beat up etc. This kind of shallow busywork lacks any kind of narrative or gameplay quality and should not exist in the game. They make the game seem a lot worse than it is and Ubi needs to be much more careful about adding these kinds of fillers.

I have more to say on the topic (very important one imo), but I have an exam tomorrow :).

m4r-k7
10-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I would much rather infinite random missions, as it adds to the replayability. I mean on Freedom Cry, the random missions are very repetitive, but I still find myself doing them whenever I see them.
I feel that we would love the hand made ones, but once they are done, its over. I just feel that I am spending a lot of money on a game, and so I want it to be very replayable.

topeira1980
10-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I like systemic content (aka various AI system clashing, or stealth set-up opportunities etc) and I think some kind of regenerating open stealth areas (aka plantations) are a must and they don't really require any backstory, because they have such a strong gameplay component. Then I think there should be some handcrafted, deeper sidemissions with well written stories. To strengthen the toursim aspect there should be a few well crafted mini-games like the boardgames in AC3.

What I absolutely hate is organized mini-missions like courier, husband beat up etc. This kind of shallow busywork lacks any kind of narrative or gameplay quality and should not exist in the game. They make the game seem a lot worse than it is and Ubi needs to be much more careful about adding these kinds of fillers.

I have more to say on the topic (very important one imo), but I have an exam tomorrow :).

good luck with the exam, first and foremost. let us know it went :) what subject is it?

and come back for your 2 cents when u get the time ;)

i love side content with back story and especially built location for etc, but even the heists that we're gonna have in ACU will quickly enough run out of fun, i guess. not to mention the brotherhood missions that , i can only assume, will be linear and a once ot twice type of affair.

bad blood (watch dogs) is on the right direction with the street sweep. if you havent played it than it's locations from the SP missions, mostly, and within these enviroments there are some objectives thrown and these objectives change semi-randomly. it's a lot of fun and i kinda feel like it's the closes thing to the heist missions in ACU.

but open world games like AC and watch dogs and GTA have the potential to let us have fun with the game's mechanics in SO MANY PLACES. in watch dogs there were the convoy missions. i loved these. why weren't they systemic? why only about a dozen? UBI could've just thrown a convoy that goes from a random A point to a random B point and let us have our fun with them, which would turn every street, every alley, every public space into a potential location for a fun fire fight. it wouldnt have much of a story behind it but what WD did so well (driving, shooting, stealth, hacking) would be used indefinitely within such missions.

i agree with you that missions like beating up the man or chasing a running away target were not that good but i dont think it's because they lacked depth but because they lacked interest, fun and challenge. if UNITY would have had a mission where there are randomly placed groups of members of a hostile faction, or a target with body guards and would grant us money for killing all the group members or killing the target - i'd love those. i'd play them to death if they were challenging. if that target would randomly roam the streets, go through buildings, go into indoor locations and had guards walking in front or behind him than you could follow the target until his body guards would see him and try and do it quietly, or try and open an open fight somewhere and kill the target before more guards show up and then run away... those could be really fun.

Ubi seems to try and do this with the KARMA events in FC4 but who knows how those turn out. but it's a step in the right direction, IMO.
scripted missions are great for the first time you do them. but personally im really interested in the long run.

i trust the story missions in any game to give enough gravitas to the story and atmosphere and just a few side mission could help if they had cutscenes and well scripted moments, but for the rest i'd want something organic, never scripted, endless and challenging.

The_Kiwi_
10-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I'd rather a powerful, straight-forward story with no distracting side-plots or tangents to increase the games length unnecessarily

RinoTheBouncer
10-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Few Story based high production more scripted missions

I’d rather have 5 well-made, innovative and original missions that are different from one another and full of story value, good dialogues, cutscenes and gameplay, than the tons of pointless, repetitive ones that we always get.

I'd rather a powerful, straight-forward story with no distracting side-plots or tangents to increase the games length unnecessarily

I LOVE YOU.

topeira1980
10-19-2014, 02:10 PM
the ones we only get are not just repetitive, which i dont mind. they are boring.

repetitive is OK. racing games are repetitive. sports game are repetitive. fightings games are repetitive. i dont mind that.
a game creates certain game mechanics and i judge a game according to these mechanics. for me a game is gameplay first, story afterwards.
i guess ppl who prefer deeper side missions are more into linear games which only gives you really well thought out content, while open world games gives you systems and mechanics and letting YOU craft how you handle the missions thus there is less scripting involved. less hand-crafted experience but more game systems colliding.

I feel that we would love the hand made ones, but once they are done, its over. I just feel that I am spending a lot of money on a game, and so I want it to be very replayable.
i feel like you, but more than having spent money on a game and wanting to justify the purchase - i just hate being left with nothing to do in a game world. in most games you start in a world with lots of activities but as you do them the map depletes. eventually you are left with an empty game world and a desire to keep on playing but nothing new to experience.
GTA, AC, Far cry 3 are examples for that. i completed all the fun activities and wanted to play more.... but there was no more game to play.
new game + is another way to tackle this but there are very rare games that provide NG+.
mods are even more rare.

Saints row 3 (havent played 4) did something clever - as you play the game you unlock MORE stuff to do. a lot of the activities you do as the SP campaign are left as instant challenges and side missions to re-do over and over with more side content openning up but not closing. THIS is more the direction i think games need to go. at least that's how I prefer them.

SixKeys
10-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I haven't played any of the games named as examples in the OP. So I'm not sure what I prefer. If I was in charge of side content, I would have some randomly regenerating playgrounds like the forts/plantations, some small scripted scenarios like AC2's assassination contracts and some repeating events with a bit of context but no real story, like RDR's random events. (Horse-jacking, bandits, assisting lawmen, duels etc.)

jayjay275
10-19-2014, 03:11 PM
What I'd rather have is have so much side-content, which after completing we have the option to reset it all. I.e. Watch Dogs has this feature.

Locopells
10-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Few in depth for me - it bugs me having the constant spawning icons on the map in WD: Bad Blood, and they're all the same - if I want to do that, I'll redo the game...

topeira1980
10-19-2014, 10:06 PM
What I'd rather have is have so much side-content, which after completing we have the option to reset it all. I.e. Watch Dogs has this feature.

what? you can't reset side content in WD....

can you?!?....

since when? how?

can you reset convoy missions?

Reaper-59
10-19-2014, 10:14 PM
what? you can't reset side content in WD....

can you?!?....

since when? how?

They released a patch a while ago with the option to reset them, like they did for Far Cry 3

topeira1980
10-19-2014, 10:43 PM
They released a patch a while ago with the option to reset them, like they did for Far Cry 3

oh yeay!! i looked for it in the game and found it.... but i wonder - what side content does it reset? convoy missions? gang hideouts? both? anything else?

and why does UBI add these options in hindsight? can't they put it in there from the beginning or add it as a part of the game world? idiots :P