PDA

View Full Version : Who wanted an AC in Portugal?

AherasSTRG
10-18-2014, 12:16 PM
A recently published article in Eurogamer says exactly that:

Shay changes his mind about the Assassins after a "fairly major historical event" that happened in Lisbon around the time period

Close enough.

VestigialLlama4
10-18-2014, 01:12 PM
The 1755 Lisbon Earthquake had its epicentre in Saint Vincent Portugal in the Atlantic Coast but had aftershocks felt all the way in the Caribbean, including Barbados, so it could be some island in between. The city we see tumbling and breaking down might be Saint Vincent but it definitely isn't Lisbon.

ze_topazio
10-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Could be one of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon_%28disambiguation%29

RinoTheBouncer
10-18-2014, 02:04 PM
With all due respect, but I believe that Europe is more than exhausted now. We need to move to a whole new continent and a whole new time period. I was on a short European tour, summer 2014 and I went to Istanbul (not yet European) and then Paris, Berlin, Barcelona and finally concluding it in London. Quote honestly, Barcelona is like a hybrid of Italy and France, same goes for Belgium, it’s like a miniature of paris and a sprinkle of Berlin. Like if you’ve never seen Europe and got blindfolded and brought to a few European countries, you won’t help but realize that you’re in one big country, in different cities or in the same continents.

So I believe this factor affects the games a lot. We spend most of the time on rooftops, and except for the obvious landmarks, everything else looks quite similar, especially that we’ve been stuck in Europe and the 16th to 18th century since forever. So I think it’s about time to just leave all that and move to China, Japan, Egypt, Iraq, Iran or India at any period of their history cause you will truly feel like you’re in a new experience.

dxsxhxcx
10-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't mind the similar architecture (as long as it's cool) if the story and culture of the setting provide a different (and interesting) experience, but I certainly wouldn't mind visiting Egypt or the other settings you suggested.. :)

RinoTheBouncer
10-18-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't mind the similar architecture (as long as it's cool) if the story and culture of the setting provides a different (and interesting) experience, but I certainly wouldn't mind visiting Egypt or the other settings you suggested.. :)

I agree. Im with going where the story demands rather than shaping a story in a place just because. For example, I loved Ezios trilogy even though it had two games in the same country and practically lots of assets were obviously reused, giving you the feeling that this is a part of ACII that was taken out last minute and made into a separate game, but I didnt mind that cause the story demanded that Ezio continues his journey in his country and pick up where the previous game left off and later with Revelations, we went to Masyaf and Istanbul, also because the story demanded so. So I was really ok with the whole thing.

However, now that theyre not doing any more direct sequels, not even the modern day feels as connected as it used to be, if at all, they can choose to create a new story in a different location for the sake of variety, especially that its been a while since weve been discovering the same two continents around the same chunk of history. :)

m4r-k7
10-18-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm just scared they will stick to the 18th and 19th century for another 5 games

dxsxhxcx
10-18-2014, 02:36 PM
However, now that they’re not doing any more direct sequels, not even the modern day feels as connected as it used to be, if at all, they can choose to create a new story in a different location for the sake of variety, especially that it’s been a while since we’ve been discovering the same two continents around the same chunk of history. :)

with this I agree, IMO just like focus too much on single a character (Ezio), focus on a few generations of the same family (Edward, Haytham, Connor and in a way, AC: Rogue, where the character isn't related to the Kenways by blood but that once again will bring back many familiar faces from the Kenway saga and a similar setting) also was a mistake, IMO they should change settings and avoid strong links like this as much as they can...

JamesFaith007
10-18-2014, 06:30 PM
With all due respect, but I believe that Europe is more than exhausted now. We need to move to a whole new continent and a whole new time period. I was on a short European tour, summer 2014 and I went to Istanbul (not yet European) and then Paris, Berlin, Barcelona and finally concluding it in London. Quote honestly, Barcelona is like a hybrid of Italy and France, same goes for Belgium, it’s like a miniature of paris and a sprinkle of Berlin. Like if you’ve never seen Europe and got blindfolded and brought to a few European countries, you won’t help but realize that you’re in one big country, in different cities or in the same continents.

You know that this unification of architecture in certain region happened during 19th and mostly 20th century? It is result of modernization of city infrastructure when older unique buildings were destroyed and only some in historical centers were spared. Till mid 18th century Europe was vastly different not only in countries, but even in their regions. Original folk architecture is now mostly visible only in smaller cities which were spared rapid modernization and destruction during world wars.

You can't judge medieval diversity of Europe cities just by short tour in nowadays Europe. It is like visit modern parts of Dubai and Doha and judge middle-east architecture by them.

Megas_Doux
10-18-2014, 06:32 PM
I agree. I’m with going where the story demands rather than shaping a story in a place just because. For example, I loved Ezio’s trilogy even though it had two games in the same country and practically lots of assets were obviously reused, giving you the feeling that this is a part of ACII that was taken out last minute and made into a separate game, but I didn’t mind that cause the story demanded that Ezio continues his journey in his country and pick up where the previous game left off and later with Revelations, we went to Masyaf and Istanbul, also because the story demanded so. So I was really ok with the whole thing.

However, now that they’re not doing any more direct sequels, not even the modern day feels as connected as it used to be, if at all, they can choose to create a new story in a different location for the sake of variety, especially that it’s been a while since we’ve been discovering the same two continents around the same chunk of history. :)

We have 2 games in Colonial North America, you cant get duller than that.....

Megas_Doux
10-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Spoilers about that event in Portugal:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10689795_565333276900919_5345398900820270845_n.jpg ?oh=ce90fc241848e0891c0d5973e22fdfc8&oe=54B52467&__gda__=1424863033_aeca94657c229a07e9f07e9585f41f3 c

ze_topazio
10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
So the Assassins were responsible for the earthquake that hit Lisbon in 1755? destroying irreplaceable historical documents and works of art? destroying legendary buildings of all kinds of architectural styles? killing around 50.000 people? throwing the country in economical chaos and putting one of the final nails in the Empire? leaving the country in a situation that we never quite recovered from?

GO GET THEM SHAY!

Megas_Doux
10-18-2014, 07:08 PM
So the Assassins were responsible for the earthquake that hit Lisbon in 1755? destroying irreplaceable historical documents and works of art? destroying legendary buildings of all kinds of architectural styles? killing around 50.000 people? throwing the country in economical chaos and putting one of the final nails in the Empire? leaving the country in a situation that we never quite recovered from?

GO GET THEM SHAY!

Well:

Shay is wearing his templar outfit in that picture we are assuming is from the earthquake.

http://global-img.gamergen.com/shay-cormac-assassins-creed-rogue_03BA01F900777829.png

KG_NOx
10-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Brazil (XVI century)

Fatal-Feit
10-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Well:

Shay is wearing his templar outfit in that picture we are assuming is from the earthquake.

http://global-img.gamergen.com/shay-cormac-assassins-creed-rogue_03BA01F900777829.png

Actually, he is wearing the Assassin one, but for some reason it's darker in the shot.

Megas_Doux
10-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Actually, he is wearing the Assassin one, but for some reason it's darker in the shot.

No:

Look at the sequence at the 30 seconds video, the building is falling apart.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbO8ka5uQQ

Templar outfit.

Fatal-Feit
10-18-2014, 07:46 PM
No:

Look at the sequence at the 30 seconds video, the building is falling apart.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbO8ka5uQQ

Templar outfit.

Dude, get your eyes checked.

[EDIT] Nevermind, both of those are when he's an Assassin.

You can tell it's the Assassins' robe, just darker due to lighting. His hair is same from 0:08, he has a hood, the shoulder is one layer, and the bottom coat isn't split up like the Templar Armor.

He is clearly wearing his Assassin robe. It's just darker in the shots.

Megas_Doux
10-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Dude, get your eyes checked.

Lets see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtIEo2CbaI0

1 In that sequence between 0:28 and 0:35 you see a city trembling and on fire ahd Shay is not wearing his hood.
2 0:38 seconds "You make me slaughter innocents" Hood on.

My point stands....

Fatal-Feit
10-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Lets see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtIEo2CbaI0

1 In that sequence between 0:28 and 0:35 you see a city trembling and on fire ahd Shay is not wearing his hood.
2 0:38 seconds "You make me slaughter innocents" Hood on.

My point stands....

Actually, your points backed up my point.

At 0:25 to 0:35, he has a hood. And at 0:33, you can see it, clearly.The hood is lighter than the torso.

At 0:38, you can see it IS the same robe from the back shot. :p The rifle, the darker torso, shoulder parts, everything.

You'd have to be in denial, at this point.

Megas_Doux
10-18-2014, 07:59 PM
You'd have to be in denial, at this point.

Edit, I re watched the thing in 1080P on a computer and now Im having doubts....:p

Fatal-Feit
10-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Edit, I re watched the thing in 1080P on a computer and now Im having doubts....:p

And people say resolution don't matter. *evil laugh*

But yeah, I've literally rewatched these trailers over a few dozen times. I've even noticed he has 2 versions of the Templar Armor.

VestigialLlama4
10-18-2014, 08:31 PM
In either case, I don't think that city is Lisbon...it's too colonial looking. The Earthquake affected quite a number of places, the epicentre was Saint Vincentes and it hit islands like Azores, and all the way to Barbados and even Ireland. Lisbon got most press because it was an European capital of culture, the kind of places that usually don't get affected by Earthquakes.

ze_topazio
10-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Only waves reached the Caribbeans, it was the cost of Portugal, Morocco and Lisbon in particular that took the main blow, Lisbon got all the press because it was one of Europe's largest cities and 85% of it was destroyed in a couple minutes, Casablanca in Morocco, curiously at the time under Portuguese control, was also completely wiped out, but it was a small city.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Lisbon_1755_tsunami_travel_times.jpg/429px-Lisbon_1755_tsunami_travel_times.jpg

In that same year there was also an earthquake close to Boston, and whoever wrote the article, there's a chance they meant that earthquake, because it seems kinda far-fetched to me that Shay would go to Europe on a mission.

king-hailz
10-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Well get out of the 18th and 17th century forever now and I will be happy... to be honest I am pretty sure we have Victorian London next.

RinoTheBouncer
10-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Well get out of the 18th and 17th century forever now and I will be happy... to be honest I am pretty sure we have Victorian London next.

AGREED 100% about everything. So sad that the period between the 16th and the 18th century as well as Europe and America have been overused way too many times, that now I won’t like it even if they put Ezio and Desmond (whom I love so much) in the next game.