PDA

View Full Version : A little more info on navigation

Matt.mc
10-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey guys,
As you can see in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_m6qeOQng you can;
- Hold RT+A+ UPw/Stick whilst climbing to "climb leap". This is similar to AC II - R.
- Hold RT+A to "wall eject", again, similar to the previous games.

Anyway, not much but I'm just glad to see the climb leap because when watching other previews you would see Arno "climb leap" but I thought it was automatic, good to know that I can go slowly up a building instead of leaping everywhere. I know some here will be glad because I've seen people get mad that the climbing as looked too unrealistic even for an AC game.

Farlander1991
10-17-2014, 12:03 PM
- Hold RT+A+ UPw/Stick whilst climbing to "climb leap". This is similar to AC II - R.

Hm? No, it's not, it's similar to AC3/AC4.

AC2-ACR climb leap mechanic require you to press the hand button at a certain point to grab.
AC3/AC4 mechanic requires you to just point in the direction you're going.

In that sense it looks like ACU is closer to AC3/AC4 as there's no timing grab. The additional button is there due to to the 3-stance parkour system (up/down and on approximately one plane).

Though, it seems that there's a climb leap button in low profile when you don't hold RT (RT buttons are white in the interface, non-RT buttons - black). So while standing still you can just press A to climb leap once.

Matt.mc
10-17-2014, 12:08 PM
I'd say it's more so like the older games though. Because you can decide when to do it unlike 3/4 where it's automatic.

Farlander1991
10-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah. I feel like in open world parkour it's choice that's important rather than the challenge and complexity of platforming mechanics (unlike a series like PoP where the opposite would be true).

Btw, at 9:12 there's a map legend that shows all the types of missions and collectibles and stuff in the game.

Fatal-Feit
10-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Off-topic - Did anyone notice how Eagle Vision is now limited? It has a cooldown. --> 10:40 You can see it depleting and recharging during and after use. The Creed Points pop-ups are as intrusive as tips. But speaking of which, I like how he got Creed Points for doing a finisher. It confirms that flashy finishers are now optional. But I can see it being a nuisance in CO-OP as people in combat are going to compete for it.

On-topic - Adding to Farlander's post, tapping A while holding RT to ''wall eject'' are in all of the titles, not just the older ones. And Unity's parkour down is more like AC:3-RO, except it has more useful animations.

I'd say it's more so like the older games though. Because you can decide when to do it unlike 3/4 where it's automatic.

AC:3-RO's parkour mechanics are not automatic. They're triggered by your analog, running speed, camera direction, and button tapping. If you tilt to jog, you won't run up a wall. Or you can tap A to climb. If you're going full speed, they will climb or jump towards the direction of your camera or analog.

Unity's parkour mechanics seems to be more like AC:3-RO. You can control whether to parkour up or down by tapping or holding the A or B button, which is just like Unity, except Unity has more useful animations. The similarity between the older titles (AC:1-R) and Unity are that they both require the A button to climb upwards. But that's about it. You don't need to hold the A button.

Sushiglutton
10-17-2014, 02:47 PM
If you just hold RT+A (no stick) will Arno climb if you are on, or close to, a wall?

SlyTrooper
10-17-2014, 03:24 PM
If you just hold RT+A (no stick) will Arno climb if you are on, or close to, a wall?

I would assume he would jump up, but you will probably need to use the stick to make him continue climbing.

m4r-k7
10-17-2014, 03:48 PM
I am guessing "wall eject" is like the wall rebound that was present in AC 1 to AC Rev (think it was in 3 and 4 aswell, but it was less responsive)

SlyTrooper
10-17-2014, 05:05 PM
It just means jumping backwards while hanging. It's the same as it's always been.

By the way, I must say that I feel the parkour in the AC franchise has reached an all-time high with Unity. Just watching the gameplay, it is so fluid & responsive. It's hard to believe that we've gone from approaching a wall at 90 degrees to now approaching it at any angle. Any idiot who can't appreciate the changes needs to get their eyes checked.

m4r-k7
10-17-2014, 05:06 PM
It just means jumping backwards while hanging. It's the same as it's always been.

By the way, I must say that I feel the parkour in the AC franchise has reached an all-time high with Unity. Just watching the gameplay, it is so fluid & responsive. It's hard to believe that we've gone from approaching a wall at 90 degrees to now approaching it at any angle. Any idiot who can't appreciate the changes needs to get their eyes checked.

It looks awesome, but it definitely looks glitchy at times, more so than the previous parkour system. Hopefully it will be less glitchy at release.

SlyTrooper
10-17-2014, 05:31 PM
I feel that I can forgive the fact that it is quite glitchy, simply because it's so improved.

topeira1980
10-17-2014, 06:36 PM
I feel that I can forgive the fact that it is quite glitchy, simply because it's so improved.

there are a lot of clipping with arno's hands through the architecture but yeah, i guess since it's a much much more detailed architecture and animations and navigation than there are more issues. i can easily overlook such bugs. i just hope i dont get to encounter the bug where you are just stuck and cant move and the only thing that unhinges you is a fast travel.

GoldenBoy9999
10-17-2014, 10:01 PM

I agree. Before Unity was announced I was playing AC4 and I thought it was strange everything still had to be climbed at a 90 degree angle. The next step was to obviously include that.

The parkour does look amazing. They say it's improved in Rogue, I just wonder what those improvements are.

Fatal-Feit
10-17-2014, 10:28 PM
They say it's improved in Rogue, I just wonder what those improvements are.

They swapped AC:IV's land engine with AC:3's. So think of AC:IV's land structures with AC:3's more precise controls.