PDA

View Full Version : Come on you old ladies !!!! Quit chatting !!!!

SodBuster43
01-19-2004, 10:50 PM
I tried to start a scripted server yesterday and today without much success. Is it really worth the effort? Sometimes I wonder why I spend hours making a maps, setting up FBDaemon, etc. etc. just to sit there twiddling my fingers.

I tailored my server after GreaterGreen's successful server and settings. I spent time carefully making sure the briefing was well written and the objectives provided somewhat of a balanced map for a fair fight. I made sure that the necessary changes were made to the config.ini file to discourage cheating. All this so I could have my first joiner, a player by the name of WiseGuy something or another, come into my room and proceed to pester and insult me. The first thing out of WiseGuys chat was "You downloaded this map didn't you?" My reply was "No, I created it myself in the FMB". Then he proceeded to tell me I needed major help and the map su**** etc. etc.

My second two joiners were rather pleasant and said they thought I had an excellent server but obviously it was not much fun with two players and 200 planes and 100 ground targets to kill per my setup. I ended the first evening chatting with the last joiner for about a half an hour which was not all bad. At least I made another casual friend for the effort.

I noticed at times 200+ people sitting in the chat at HL doing absolutley nothing except gazing at idle chit chat it seemed. I guess to some players, you buy the game to be able to socialize and argue points, etc. etc.

Well, to each his own I guess http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SodBuster43
01-19-2004, 10:50 PM
I tried to start a scripted server yesterday and today without much success. Is it really worth the effort? Sometimes I wonder why I spend hours making a maps, setting up FBDaemon, etc. etc. just to sit there twiddling my fingers.

I tailored my server after GreaterGreen's successful server and settings. I spent time carefully making sure the briefing was well written and the objectives provided somewhat of a balanced map for a fair fight. I made sure that the necessary changes were made to the config.ini file to discourage cheating. All this so I could have my first joiner, a player by the name of WiseGuy something or another, come into my room and proceed to pester and insult me. The first thing out of WiseGuys chat was "You downloaded this map didn't you?" My reply was "No, I created it myself in the FMB". Then he proceeded to tell me I needed major help and the map su**** etc. etc.

My second two joiners were rather pleasant and said they thought I had an excellent server but obviously it was not much fun with two players and 200 planes and 100 ground targets to kill per my setup. I ended the first evening chatting with the last joiner for about a half an hour which was not all bad. At least I made another casual friend for the effort.

I noticed at times 200+ people sitting in the chat at HL doing absolutley nothing except gazing at idle chit chat it seemed. I guess to some players, you buy the game to be able to socialize and argue points, etc. etc.

Well, to each his own I guess http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dolemite-
01-20-2004, 12:11 AM
I only play on servers that have been up for a while and that I know real well.

I guess thats how a lot of people are on HL.

My advice would be.............um....................... oh, I dont have any advice.

crazyivan1970
01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Don`t be discuraged, it takes time to gather some regulars. Wait till weekend and give it a go.

V!
Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

Lunix
01-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Like CI said it takes a while for people to start recognizing your servers name and then learning the settings. Once you get a few regular players to at least keep some kind of action happening then others will start to roll in.

I have a good idea of what kind of effort goes into running a server like this. So I can say congrats on the good work. Perhaps you are a little ambitious for a new server though. You might want to trim the plane counts and make sure the flight times are small to accomidate the small audience you will get at first. Also I find that a wealth of ground targets can really make for a laggy server, especially that AAA.

Cheers, Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

http://members.shaw.ca/corn/il2sig2.jpg

SpinSpinSugar
01-20-2004, 03:44 AM
Not been on HL for a week or so what with playing the offline RAF campaign but always open for new servers. I tend to look for greatergreen or UK_dedicated first through familiarity, but I'll give any server a go as long as a) there's space, b) I get a good quick connection and c) it has settings that appeal to me.

If yours is like GG which has needed a double for some time, I'm sure you'll get visitors eventually. There's normally a queue for GG so these folks just need to become aware.

Cheers,

SSS

LeadSpitter_
01-20-2004, 07:34 AM
it all depends on the settings of the server, also the ammount of players if you have 10 or more it will fill up very quickly. On HL it seems usually the EZ settings gets more pilots and those who like more difficult settings have greatergreen virtualpilots and a couple other of the stats servers.

everyone has a different opinion of settings, for me i wont fly in servers with padlock on, externals and no cockpit. Airstarts are another I wont go in.

I'd fly in nocockpit if externals and padlock are off, historical planesets and its good fun if you only have a couple minutes to play.

Theres no servers like that most intermediate have pit on, padlock and externals on, you cant even hide on the horizon or loose people inclouds in PL servers, and they are nothing but low alt turnfights usually with all plane sets.

Then you have the full EZ settings for life people like EURO AFJ SLAMMINS vmf513 servers and many others.

well best of luck with your server, give it awhile if its up there constantly people will start joining it, if they dont know they server people wont join because alot of hosts shut down in 20 min which is fustrating

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)