PDA

View Full Version : OT: Band of Brothers

FI-Aflak
06-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I just got back from a two week tour of China. While I was there, I wandered into several dvd shops, and saw the band of brothers series available for 40 kuai (<5 USD) so I picked it up. I am very very impressed. Seeing as most of us are WWII history guys on this forum, I am interested to hear what the rest of you think about it. I have watched only the first 6 segments (leaving 4, right?)

FI-Aflak
06-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I just got back from a two week tour of China. While I was there, I wandered into several dvd shops, and saw the band of brothers series available for 40 kuai (&lt;5 USD) so I picked it up. I am very very impressed. Seeing as most of us are WWII history guys on this forum, I am interested to hear what the rest of you think about it. I have watched only the first 6 segments (leaving 4, right?)

DeBaer.534
06-30-2004, 02:15 PM
right. its ok, but it gets boring and more boring the later in war in proceeds. and the way the germans are displayed is ridicolous. have you seen the scene where one of those american heroes (cpt. winters) stands there in the field and attacks a huge camp of germans (which are having a break)? i mean, 40 germans and noone grabs his weapon, all run around like headless chickens.
good effects anyway (i love the jumps over the normandy)

Monty_Thrud
06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Its a fantastic series, you'll enjoy and cherish it...its that feeling of being there that i love...now all we need is the same , but done for fighter pilots of WW2

http://www.uploadit.org/bsamania/Huzzy_no_ordnance03.jpg
"#2 Attack that ship".."#1..with what?".."#2 your ordnance DAMMIT!".."#1 my ordnance is in Olegs office, same place yours is".."#2 we'd better learn German then"

huggy87
06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
The best mini-series I have ever seen. Whether Debaer is right or wrong, the scene he describes was portrayed that way in the book. The series did an excellent job of mirroring the experiences as described in the book.

Eagle_361st
06-30-2004, 02:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeBaer.534:
right. its ok, but it gets boring and more boring the later in war in proceeds. and the way the germans are displayed is ridicolous. have you seen the scene where one of those american heroes (cpt. winters) stands there in the field and attacks a huge camp of germans (which are having a break)? i mean, 40 germans and noone grabs his weapon, all run around like headless chickens.
good effects anyway (i love the jumps over the normandy)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That incident actually happened. Dang near everything in that movie is very closely based on actual events right down to the names. And the one you mention there did indeed happen almost as shown in the movie.

~S!
Eagle
Commanding Officer 361st vFG
www.361stvfg.com (http://www.361stvfg.com)
http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1079.jpg

HoosBB
06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
First of all I have to say Band of Brothers is probably one of the greatest things ever put on television, if not the best. The whole series is top notch from start to finish. Hopefully Spielberg will make another series based on WWII, preferably one about pilots, perhaps a B-17 crew? That would kick ***.

Debaer, Winters actually describes the attack on the SS company in the Band of Brothers book which the series is based on. Nothing about the attack is embellished on the TV series. Winters also doesn't seem like the kind of guy to tell fish tales if you've seen him in an interview.

DeBaer.534
06-30-2004, 02:38 PM
i knew that those voices would raise.
but you can see the german dumbness in other scenes, too. like when "Hinkels" comrade is trying to shoot the american soldier which is running straight away from him, but doesnt hit anything.
dont get me wrong, its a nice series.

LeadSpitter_
06-30-2004, 02:40 PM
I think its one of the best made series ever made. Especially the interviews after the dvd.

I was hoping they make an aviation 6-8 episodes of all pilots during wwii different countries and different squadrons. I would definatly enjoy that made like band of brothers then before each episode have all the pilots speak. They wont be around much longer which is a sad thing

Also the actors were all great. Much more realistic then stupid hollywood " in the spotlight actors "

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

GAU-8
06-30-2004, 03:04 PM
the show does NOT make germans look stupid!

it DOES show that there were several points were the american soldiers were VERY VERY lucky.

life is stranger than fiction. oddities of tremendous proportions can happen in combat.

necrobaron
06-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I agree it's an excellent series, and I also agree that they should make a similar style movie/miniseries regarding WWII aviation. I for one thought the series did a pretty good job of portraying the Germans. From an American point of view the soldiers initially felt like the Germans were inhuman monsters, but as the series progresses the American soldiers come to realize the common German soldier was not as different as they thought. The German soldier was fighting for his country just like the American soldier was fighting for his. I think that was a point that was important to made. As one veteran(his name escapes me) notes in the documentary, under different circumstances, they've might've become the best of friends. I thought the speech by the German general in the last episode was beautiful and really hit home to the men of Easy Company. I think it made them realize how similar they really were.

As far as what DeBaer is saying, I think there were more instances where the Germans didn't make "dumb" mistakes and all too often hit right on target. I think just about every man in Easy were either wounded at least once or killed.

"Not all who wander are lost."

Scen
06-30-2004, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eagle_361st:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeBaer.534:
good effects anyway (i love the jumps over the normandy)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That incident actually happened. Dang near everything in that movie is very closely based on actual events right down to the names. And the one you mention there did indeed happen almost as shown in the movie.

~S!
Eagle
Commanding Officer 361st vFG
http://www.361stvfg.com
http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1079.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on the money... They ran because they where being hit with motars... That's what you do in an ambush when you don't know the enemy's strength.

He's right the movie is very accurate to what did happend.

Scendore

DONB3397
06-30-2004, 03:33 PM
There are few books that I consider worth two readings, but Stephen Ambrose's book, "Band of Brothers" is one. I re-read it after watching part of the series, and it was...intense. I'm not sure I even understand the kind of courage these guys displayed daily.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v243/DONB3397/SpitSig01b.jpg
"And now I see with eye serene/The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,/A Traveller between life and death." -- Wordsworth

LW_lcarp
06-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Not sure if its true but i heard they are working on one about the PTO

"If winning isnt everything why do they keep score"
Vince Lombardi

Red_Russian13
06-30-2004, 03:45 PM
I loved it. Bought the DVD series too.

In fact, I just found out that two of the guys from Easy Company live in my town. I met a lady who's friends with them, she told them about me, and they've offered to meet with me. It's an opportunity I can't pass up! It'll be an honor to chat with those guys, about anything.

Red Russian

necrobaron
06-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I think a "PTO BOB" has been confirmed though,AFAIK, little to no details about it have been released.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-30-2004, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
Not sure if its true but i heard they are working on one about the PTO

"If winning isnt everything why do they keep score"
Vince Lombardi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heard that too but cant remember where for the life of me. Series is just awsesome.

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

www.vultures-row.com (http://www.vultures-row.com)

smatchimo
06-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Absolutely one of the best series I have ever seen. As far as what Dabaer has to say, I dare you to say that to one of the men that actually was there. Why don't you learn a little bit about the war before you make disrespectful remarks such as "American Heroes" ( and I KNOW you meant that as a snide remark). why dont you get on your bike or get your mother to give you a ride to the library before you take that kind of tone about those men. They absolutely ARE heroes.

Obi_Kwiet
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
I loved it. I liked how they used the real tank instead of the M-60 = tiger M-48 = Sherman kinda thing. But all that shooting of German prisoners wan't realistic. They didn't so that. I mean it was a BIG deal when the Germans shot like ~100 US prisoners at Battle of the Bulge. Ummm... Red Russian, There were many many US divisions involved in WW2. Each one had an Able, Baker, Charly, Dog, Easy Co. ect.

Udidtoo
06-30-2004, 04:55 PM
What I liked most was that it shows that "Heroes" are not men a cut above who never feel fear.

On the contrary it illustrates that bravery isn't the abseance of fear but the ability to continue on in the face of fear.

.....and Debaer, that incident along with 90% of the series is well documented from war records of Both sides. Just because you don't find it fitting your prefered image doesn't take away from the facts.

Far from painting the Germans as idiots I think it does a great job of humanizing them, a far cry fron the "evil nazi scum" they are usually portrayed as. I particulerly like the Officer telling his troops what an honor it was for him to have led them. Also after the surrender when the G.I's and Germans are checking I'd's and directing traffic. The German is portrayed as a very down to earth guy who has seen more than his share and is just weary of it all and more than happy to just not be shooting and being shot at. Better to share a smoke and get on with life.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

WTE_Galway
06-30-2004, 05:05 PM
oops ... thought the thread was about the new WWII FPS that everyone is talking about http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG52_wunsch
06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
its ok.the jump over normandy was the best part
absolutly terrifying looking out the door of the plane,flak,burning planes,etc.that part felt pretty real.

After it was refeuled i climbed in.With many manipulations the mechcanics started the turbines.I followed their actions with the greatest of interest.The first one started quite easily.the second caught fire.In no time the whole engine was on fire.Luckily as a fighter pilot i was used to getting quickly out of the cockpit.The fire was quickly put out.The second plane caused no trouble - Adolf Galland (first time in a ME262)

jttthomas
06-30-2004, 05:55 PM
I think its also one of the best WW2 movies I've ever seen - I also bought the DVD collection which I've added to my stack of WW2 doco's. If any of you play Day of Defeat (HL Mod), you'll certainly it more after watching BOB.

One other good portrayal that I enjoy watching is Saving Private Ryan, esp the Normandy beach landing - you can see that bullets have no eyes and will kill anything and anyone.

Amazing though - the war ended what, 6-8 months after the landings in europe?

ImpStarDuece
06-30-2004, 06:10 PM
I liked Band of Brothers, both as a book and as a serise. They were, for the most part, accurate, informative, interesting and well though out. Its good to see such detail to both the letter and spirit of historical accuracy as was displayed on the serise.

However, after reading more widely on Western Europe during WW2, i have come to disagree, in some cased wildly, with quite a few of Ambrose interpretations of events, particularly in the first 3 months of the Normady invasion and again in the closing months of the war.

Ambrose is an excellent American historian and is an amazing scholar, particularly when it comes to first hand accounts and small unit actions. Things go awry, for me anyway, when he starts to look at the rest of the Allies and their actions/motivations leading up to the invasion of Europe. I often fell that the Free French, Canadians, Polish and English are a bit hard done by in his works, particularly their commanders, if not the troops themselves.

Flying Bullet Magnet... Catching Lead Since 2002

"There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"

"War is just an extension of politics carried out by other means" von Clauswitz.

Bula
06-30-2004, 07:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by necrobaron:
... As one veteran(his name escapes me) notes in the documentary, under different circumstances, they've might've become the best of friends...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're citing Sergeant Shifty Powers, one of our Virginia homeboys.

Bula, aka BubbaFactor

BSS_Goat
06-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey Debaer 534,
The M1 Garand is over modeled isnt it ? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

http://images.allposters.com/images/dar/yng-17.jpg

Patriotism is your conviction
that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
--George Bernard Shaw

TotenTanzen
06-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Winters in an interview after the series came out said the only thing that really bother him as being embellished was his shooting the soldier at the **** there. He says he recalled the soldier smiled at him, but not that he was a boy/teenager.

Also in the interview he talks about how lucky they were to catch the germans like that. If they had been prepared then the outcome would have been different.

BSS_Goat
06-30-2004, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bula:

Hey Bula I'm from VA near Franklin, Suffolk ect

http://images.allposters.com/images/dar/yng-17.jpg

Patriotism is your conviction
that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
--George Bernard Shaw

Fritzofn
06-30-2004, 09:03 PM
BOB is the BEST miniseries EVER. can't wa it for BOB 2 to be finnished.

heard some months ago some roomer about a mini series based on "Sven Hassel"'s book's was to be made, but it seems it has crashed n' burned Sven Hassel is most famous for the book and movie "Wheels of terror"

BTW: BOB 2 has somewhat of the same budget as the first movie, and about the pacific theater, and if it is what i think it is, u will see mad jap's on Kamikaze run's down hill's. as known the Pacific theater didnt come up with alot of prissoners, there were like 20-50 prisoners out of a garison of some 50.000 on some islands, damn insane japanes Samurai spirit.

When u get to HELL, Tell'em I'll sent u.....U'll get a group discount

Owlsphone
06-30-2004, 10:02 PM
&lt;5 USD!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif That's an amazing price. I remember I got it when it came out at around 80 bucks. Still worth every penny. Just got done watching through the series again.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Owlsphone/Sig.jpg
Vertically challenged since 1984.

owlwatcher
06-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I guess I should have read the book.
Would watch it again only if did not cost me time or money. Almost bought it then saw it on cable. Worth watching once.

necrobaron
06-30-2004, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bula:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by necrobaron:
... As one veteran(his name escapes me) notes in the documentary, under different circumstances, they've might've become the best of friends...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bula, aka BubbaFactor<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he's the one.

Dammerung
06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
I havent Read the book, I have a bunch in line already(Black Sheep One, JG26, Mammoth Book of Fighter Pilots), but Band of Brothers is definatly the best thing I've ever seen on TV. They put interviews of E Company Guys before each episode, and at the end of the series they tell you who each one was. They say some pretty powerful stuff. It's also one of the most accurate accounts to ever be made. If you haven't see it, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Pick up the book afterwards too.

Oh, there are no fighter pilots down in hell...
The whole damn place is full of queers, navigators, and bombadiers...

horseback
06-30-2004, 11:07 PM
If you liked 'Band of Brothers', most of you will enjoy reading 'Currahee!' and 'Seven Roads to Hell' by Donald Burgette (you can skip the one about Market Garden, it's dull as dirt), a paratrooper in one of the other companies in the 506th. While some might think these guys were awfully lucky, we should remember that these were the elite troops in the US Army in WWII, and they damned well ought to have been good.

Certainly they expected to be, and IMHO, they were.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

(FIN)-Cowboy
07-01-2004, 12:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FI-Aflak:
...saw the band of brothers series available for 40 kuai (&lt;5 USD) so I picked it up... I am interested to hear what the rest of you think about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you bought yourself a pirated copy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously, I have the metal box edition myself and I think that it's probably the best thing made for television - ever.

The "making of..." stuff is really great too, I especially love the part where they show you how they made the "Tiger" from an old British APC.

--
Finland Red, Egypt White

Jasko76
07-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Band of Brothers is an unbeleiveably realistic series - splattered guts, severed limbs, heads blown clear. SOme people can't stand to see such stuff, but I think everyone should see it. War is not only glory and statistic numbers, it's full with countless personal tragedies, suffering and sacrifices and that is something that Band of Brothers have portrayed very well. The style in which it is filmed is very similar to Saving private Ryan.

All in all, some of the best stuff on WWII, makes old movies look boring and unrealistic.

Regards,

Jasko
http://users.skynet.be/orbus/Images/husein_kapetan.jpg

Zmaj od Bosne

Monson74
07-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Yeah it was ok I think - just found it hard to take a "Friends"-actor seriously http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Good thing to have some focus on the airbornes too but now I'm getting a little tired of the late war American part - too much hollywood IMO when you keep in mind that for every American who sadly lost his young life (& there were some 400.000 I think) - 59 Russians died. IL2 really opened my eyes for the Eastern Front that I didn't know much about before. But when that is said I think it was really well made & has set a new standard for the genre. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S!

Monson

"The Bf110s will form an offensive circle." - G├┬Âring

crazyivan1970
07-01-2004, 02:30 AM
Outstanding series. Watch it 3 times and might do it again soon http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

whiteladder
07-01-2004, 04:27 AM
I have the series on DVD, as many have said an outstanding series.

The book is excellent and gives a more in depth perspective. `Pegases Bridge` by the same author is also worth a look ( and would also make a great tv series).

hughlb2
07-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Band of Brothers is one of the few great portrayls of war's effect on soldiers.

The series benifits greatly from the fact its just that, a series. The ten or so hours that it amounts to allows the viewer to become attached to the characters and involved in the story in a much deeper respect. This is something a film cannot do.

One of the most satisfying episodes for me, was the final episode. In film format this would not have captured an audience, but the fact I had watched this group of soldiers change over the past two months, made it very enjoyable to see them finaly find peace.

Ofcourse also, if it weren't for the impressive cast, high budget and Spielberg's direction, the series would not have been as strong.

Somebody I know worked on the production and said the "sets" were amazing, it was like being taken back in time.

Personally I think it would be great to work on a production of this scalehttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by hughlb2 on Thu July 01 2004 at 04:27 AM.]

Red_Storm
07-01-2004, 05:08 AM
BoB may be based on real accounts, but it has been seriously hollywoodised. No way eight men take on 120 Waffen-SS guys in the field and beat the,. It might've happened, but not the way you see it in BoB. The Germans were made to look like a bunch of complete ******s, not knowing which end of their weapons should be pointed where.

---
http://www.albumsnaps.com/viewPhoto.php?id=42993

Nanuk66
07-01-2004, 05:38 AM
BoB is a great series and i enjoyed watchin them all. Also its good to see that the actors in the series are given credit here. some of them really portrayed the real life GI well, like Mark Wahlberg that played Lipton, he did an astonishing job. Also all the engish actors that put on an american accent with ease! How long has that east london lad from 'Press gang' been using a US accent! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

However a few things i have to dispute:

'But all that shooting of German prisoners wan't realistic. They didn't so that.'

Are you kidding? If u are referring to the Spiers scene then yes, perhaps that wasnt true, i dont know.

But if u put urself in the place of a 19/20 year old US soldier that has just survived a slaughter at the hands of precise MG42 fire on the beach, has watched his best friends that he has trained, laughed and bunked with for up to 3 years get ripped apart without mercy and if he manages to get up the cliff buffs without getting maimed, killed or wounded (which really didnt happen - have a read of the 'Bedford Boys' book and see how many made it in the intial waves to hit the beach) how many prisoners do you think hes gonna take? You think that hes gonna get to the top and the the first germans he sees putting their hands up into the air are gonna get taken prisoner. Me thinks not! A full clip of thompson is the last thing that those germans would hear.

I also dont see how the attack on the SS soldiers really is such a problem to believe. Imagine ur an SS soldier, ur taking a breather, waiting for orders and chatting and all of a sudden morters go off around you and US soldiers appaer at the top of a high **** bank and .50 cal's open up into ur ranks. Id feckin run too, especially if i was exposed on open ground! In the series made, the germans were firing back as they tried to run for cover. They had no idea how many US soldiers were attacking their postion. Its really not very hard to believe.

Great series.
A pacific one would be great.
The conditions that the average GI had to endure in the pacific campaign is of very special interest to me as the fighting was even more brutal in terrible conditions against a determined nme.

TheNightFly
07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
Ah well I liked BOB.

BUT
BUT
BUT

There is ONE scene which I HATE, I absolutely can not stand it! The already debated attack on two SS companies. I understand that it had been done by the book, but WHY ON ARTH does the man throw a red smoke greande and start running by himself http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Why can't he just tell the others (the line wasn't all that long, they could have spread the word) to attack.

I just can't understand the reason for using smoke...I mean the germans could have spotted it.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tpulse/sturmovik.jpg
http://www.fighting-irish.org

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 06:15 AM
yeah right, tear my opinion apart.
first thing, i said "one of those american heroes" because they are the heroes in the movie, the people the story is about.
2nd, i have a large interest in history and know enough about it. i dont have to drive to a libary, i have my own books (and no, theyre not called "Mein Kampf"...).
I have great respect for everyone who fought for his country, family in those days... be it an american, german, russian, japanese, british, australian, polish (you get it...)
i do believe those scenes to happen, but in the movie the germans arent displayed as enemies to be respected, but as the "guys to be shot".
why do some of you (and i said some of you) only see black&white... sad thing, because this is the reason we had the mess 60 years ago.

[This message was edited by DeBaer.534 on Thu July 01 2004 at 05:25 AM.]

Heavy_Weather
07-01-2004, 06:23 AM
great movie, i really liked Lt. Spears, that guy was great

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

Udidtoo
07-01-2004, 06:36 AM
" I do believe those scenes to happen, but in the movie the germans arent displayed as enemies to be respected, but as the "guys to be shot"."

I'm having a hard time understanding this one. Do you really think that during basic training they tell soldiers... And remember boys, respect those fellows over there trying to kill you in return" ??

" Guys to be shot" is excatly how you train your soldiers to think in battle. U.S. and everyone else did it. If you dehumanize the enemy he is much easier to hurl bullets and bombs at.

Are you seriously suggesting during The battle to retake Red square or Omaha beach the Germans where sitting behind gun implacements thinking, "I do so regret this folly as I have so much respect for my Soviet/American foe"

I believe if the respect ever comes at all it comes after the guns have fallen silent, not before the shooting starts and certainly not during.

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 06:45 AM
ah, well, guess ill have to shup up here, as everything i say is wrong from now on.
kinda sad, its really the policy of "who's not with us, is against us", exactly the main policy of the country the american soldiers displayed in BoB fought against.
please, go ahead, lynch me.

Covino
07-01-2004, 06:47 AM
yeah right, tear my opinion apart.
first thing, i said "one of those american heroes" because they are the heroes in the movie, the people the story is about.
2nd, i have a large interest in history and know enough about it. i dont have to drive to a libary, i have my own books (and no, theyre not called "Mein Kampf"...).
I have great respect for everyone who fought for his country, family in those days... be it an american, german, russian, japanese, british, australian, polish (you get it...)
i do believe those scenes to happen, but in the movie the germans arent displayed as enemies to be respected, but as the "guys to be shot".
why do some of you (and i said some of you) only see black&white... sad thing, because this is the reason we had the mess 60 years ago.

[This message was edited by DeBaer.534 on Thu July 01 2004 at 05:25 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would you want them to be portrayed? Should they be displayed as a cold-blooded, super-race, ultra-organized, no fear, gung-ho type of soldiers. Yeah, that'd get them respect.

They fact that BoB shows the fears and imperfections of both the American's and the German's makes it that much more effective in portraying the tragedy of war. The enemy has emotions and fears just as much as the American's.

Zayets
07-01-2004, 06:55 AM
I didn't like the movie.Seriously.But maybe I'll look again at it.Maybe I was looking too detached at it.I received the whole DVD box as present.Trade it for dark blue world and BoB.Was one of the best deal I ever did.

Zayets out

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Zayets-sigIAR.jpg

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 06:57 AM
why do some of you (and i said some of you) only see black&white...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
for me a soldiers should be able to shoot back and not just run away like a chicken even when suprised, like the americans do in the series (the shooting back thing)...
but its really getting pointless here, goodbye everyone, have fun with a discussion that isnt worth to be called so.

Breeze147
07-01-2004, 07:01 AM
My favorite scene was when Winters informed the men that they were going to fake the second patrol into the town to capture prisoners. That shows the very real humanity at work, that a good officer is not going to needlessly risk the lives of his men.

Has anyone besides me noticed that on the first patrol, 3 Germans were captured. After the GI whose grenade blew up in his face died in front of the entire platoon in the basement, there were only 2 German soldiers. Wonder what happened to the 3rd one?

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg

Udidtoo
07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Please DeBaer.534: don't run away, everyone will think you were an extra from that scene you so deplore. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Seriously though, its sort of refreshing to see someone so openly expose their If it was the U.S. doing well then its obviously Hollywooded up and completly invalid. While on the other hand, if it shows the Aryan supermen in anything other than glorious victory then its just a smear job and propaganda.

I commend you in a way. Many here hold that very view, they just don't have the balls to be as open about it as you have been.

geetarman
07-01-2004, 07:24 AM
I liked the series as well. As for a Pacific BOB, my father was a foward observer in US 77th Army Div in the Phillipines and Ryukos. I'd love to see that, although I don't know if it will really protray the absolute horror that he witnessed from early '44 to the end at Okinawa. I know- he used to fill me on it prior to his death.

As brutal as the US-Japanese conflict was, interestingly, my father always said that he was "lucky" he wasn't in Europe. "Much too cold in the winter" was his feeling.

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 07:27 AM
thank you in a way. its just frustrating to see so many people which dont want to understand. i dont want to see "aryan supermans in glorious victory", either. and i really hope you know this. this series is nice, i said this already two times. i like many "hollywood smear jobs", they provide many hours of tense and fun. i even spent 40 aryan euros http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif on my BoB collectors box. but one must be able to critize things one thinks to be a bit unrealistic, or incredible if you want. what would you think if the roles were changed in BoB, and people seem to think it was always that way (Krauts bashing chicken US soldiers)?

Nanuk66
07-01-2004, 07:30 AM
'I just can't understand the reason for using smoke...I mean the germans could have spotted it.'

Im not sure if im 100% right but i believe that the smoke was used to cover the troops as they charged across open ground. Also the smoke would cover how many US soldiers were actually advancing on their position. thats why the rest of the platoon waited til the smoke started pouring out before moving to the next postion.

'Has anyone besides me noticed that on the first patrol, 3 Germans were captured. After the GI whose grenade blew up in his face died in front of the entire platoon in the basement, there were only 2 German soldiers. Wonder what happened to the 3rd one?'

The third german was wounded when they took the prisoners and they party left the wounded german on that side of the bank. If u watch a little further ull see Winters,Nixon et al the next day on the side of the bank complaining of the moans of that wounded German is making still the next day. Im sure there a reference to putting him out of his misery. Obviously there was gonna be no german medic coming that close to the US lines to pick up his fallen comrade.

Udidtoo
07-01-2004, 07:38 AM
thank you in a way. its just frustrating to see so many people which dont want to understand. i dont want to see "aryan supermans in glorious victory", either. and i really hope you know this. this series is nice, i said this already two times. i like many "hollywood smear jobs", they provide many hours of tense and fun. i even spent 40 aryan euros http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif on my BoB collectors box. but one must be able to critize things one thinks to be a bit unrealistic, or incredible if you want. what would you think if the roles were changed in BoB, and people seem to think it was always that way (Krauts bashing chicken US soldiers)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think thats excatly what happens in real life and often did to the U.S soldier, there and in other conflicts.

When caught in the open by even small arms fire the 1st rule is get the hell out of the open. In that engagement the Airborne was able to call in immediate artillery support and for a few short seconds it was devastating.

Only dead fools would have stood their ground cuaght in the open as those SS troops were. As I understand it the SS generally were not fools.

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 07:53 AM
at first, thank you for an answer that doesnt only say "you are a stupid N..., shut up, you have no idea"

they were fools when taking part in some "not so glorious" actions, but thats not the topic here.

of course, i dont expect them to just stand there and shot back without taking cover. what i think is unbelieveable (but true perhaps) that noone hits the lonely captain there. and if i remember it correctly, the germans arent heading straight for cover, but running around like crazy. And the artillery doesnt strike exactly when Winters opens fire, does it?

Udidtoo
07-01-2004, 08:03 AM
I think the producer is merely trying to show the fear, panick and confusion that results from going from "lets take 5 here" to Holy $**T we are under attack from where...who...how many??? ***K it. I'm outa here.

I have had the misfortune to have been shot at twice in my life and its not conductive to clear and reasoned thinking. I think you are mis-intrepreting that confusion as cowardice.

Amazing as it is considering he perferred to lead from the front. Winters actually was one of the lucky few in E company who never sustained a serious wound.

Nanuk66
07-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Not 100% sure on this either but i think the germans are generally heading for cover - i seem to remember them heading for some trees/bushes on the other side of the flat plain from where the US soldiers are attacking from. Although some are running around like crazy but when uve been suprised like that im sure panic does set in and who knows how people would react!

'And the artillery doesnt strike exactly when Winters opens fire, does it?'

Nah i dont think it does. But im pretty sure the mortar teams open up pretty much straight away. Cant really remember.

'what i think is unbelieveable (but true perhaps) that noone hits the lonely captain there'

Aye, im with you on this one. The only thing i can think is either 'luck' or the fact that this was the main mental wound/image that stayed with Cpt. Winters to this very day and the scene was shot in this way just to show how alone the Cpt really was in that particular engagment. Then again if u look at the Speirs run throu Carantan (i think) which defo did happen the germans were so suprised (battle weary?) that they just couldnt respond or take in wtf was goin on, again luck - it happens. But again thats just my opinion.

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
you may well be right about the intentions of the producer. im never going to understand those guys. but generally, i still feel that german soldiers are often displayed a bit coward and evil-only in movies.

i've never been shot at, as im a young person living in peaceful germany (yes, its out finally, but i guess you would have guessed so too), and so im quite lucky i think.
my apologises then, you know better in this case. im a very calculating person (i have never been shot at in my life, but was in life danger anyway) and dont overreact "quickly" (im no superman either, i've also my weak spots), so maybe its just hard to imagine for me.

huggy87
07-01-2004, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Udidtoo:

I have had the misfortune to have been shot at twice in my life and its not conductive to clear and reasoned thinking. I think you are mis-intrepreting that confusion as cowardice.

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif Udidtoo, were you in the military or did you used to work at a convenience store?

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NaNuK66:
Then again if u look at the Speirs run throu Carantan (i think) which defo did happen the germans were so suprised (battle weary?) that they just couldnt respond or take in wtf was goin on, again luck - it happens. But again thats just my opinion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that wasnt too incredible in my eyes, as theres a battle going on and most germans are distracted, or like the guys loading the gun cant do anything. but winters is one lonely man there...
btw i think it wasnt carentan, rather some small village in the battle of bulge... cant recall the name at the moment...

Freefalldart
07-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Great series.
Very crude too, and it reflects perfectly that surviving a war it's mostly a matter of luck http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
Maybe they should have tried to depict germans more deeply, but as it's based on a book I will asume that this is the way it was written.

"Cuando un loco parece totalmente sensato es hora de ponerle la camisa de fuerza"
Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)

Udidtoo
07-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Huggy.

Well, since I was foolish enough to post it and you asked a legit question , neither.

A different life ago I was a not so very nice person. I associated with not so very nice people. The only serving I did was behind bars.

I left that life behind almost 18 years ago and try and atone by being a good husband, father and someone you wouldn't mind calling a friend today.

Breeze147
07-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Well, I have been in actual fire fights and as the person above said, it is not conducive to rational thinking. Sticking my M-16 above the sandbags and firing blindly while the rest of my body was well below the sandbags is the impression I have of what took place. Also attempting to wrestle with a radio with my free hand and jabbering some mindless drivel about what was happening. As someone once said, war is endless periods of boredom punctuated by seconds of sheer terror.

Nanuk66
07-01-2004, 08:29 AM
'that wasnt too incredible in my eyes'

Running through a heavily occupied and defended town from one side to the other while a large battle ensued and not getting hit and then to run BACK again while people are taking pop shots at you, not just KAR fire but SMG and MG fire too is IMHO pretty incredible.
But maybe thats just me.

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 09:14 AM
but theres battle going on...
anyway, we have different opinions and points of view, and thats only good.

huggy87
07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Udidtoo:
Huggy.

Well, since I was foolish enough to post it and you asked a legit question , neither.

A different life ago I was a not so very nice person. I associated with not so very nice people. The only serving I did was behind bars.

I left that life behind almost 18 years ago and try and atone by being a good husband, father and someone you wouldn't mind calling a friend today.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually thought you were probably in law enforcement. I never considered that you could be on the other side of the law. Glad to hear you turned around. Although, I have to wonder how much you have changed with that devil signature. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I too have been shot at. In an airplane over Afghanistan and Iraq. I never really felt scared and threatened. The Iraqis were to scared to turn on their tracking radars so the shots were all way off. In fact the second time I was ever shot at, near Kandahar in Afghanistan, I didn't even know it. We landed and my skipper (I was flying his wing on that flight) said that the one gun was getting a little close. It's amazing how clear your head is when you don't even know somebody is shooting at you. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

My hat is off to the ground pounders.

Nanuk66
07-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Bebaer, my German friend - I think you misunderstnad me. I am in no way trying to show any 'incompetance' on the German behalf if thats what you are thinking. I have a great admiration for the German Wermacht in all military aspects.

And when one states that 'there was a battle on' only to me means to me that not only was the GI facing German fire on his way round but where do u think the US incoming was directed at!? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Another poster stated that in that type of situation many soldiers would be in cover firing indisciminantly in the direction of the nme. This is where Spiers was dont forget!

My admiration does not come from 'out-foxing' the nme but the fact that alone he ran throu the most dangerous of places to link up with the flanking squad which had no other communication or orders and without that the successful capture of the town may not have occurred. Not only did he do that but he ran back!

I must also point out that you said that you find the Winters and the SS division scene hard to believe cause, even thou under heavy fire, a german should really have killed Winters if he was that open (something i believe too) but on the other hand that in the Speirs situation that it would be alot harder to kill Speirs cause there 'was a battle on' and their attention was on other things, maybe like morters and heavy MG fire in the Winters situation?. Perhaps thats not what u are meaning. Either way i think it goes to show theres no written rules of how combat should turn out and that 'luck' is the biggest thing on keeping a man alive.

But your're right, if there wasnt differences in opinion the forum would be kinda boring http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

&lt;o

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
no, i was neither angry in any way on my last post, nor did i think what you said wasnt true. i still think theres at least a slight difference between Winters vs. camping Germans and Spears running through the enemy lines. in the former, positions were clearer, and only 1 enemy in sight. just think about il2, sometimes you see 2 or more enemies in attack range, and you just dont know which one to engage, but when theres only 1 enemy, even if he suprises you..
anyway, one cant compare il2 to the hell of a real war, and of course luck, or rather fortuity is always an important factor.

and i dont have a problem with someone not liking the wehrmacht, or pointing out its deficits, its his opinion noone can deny him and he its even true that the german army, as every army, had seen good and bad times.

ploughman
07-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Apparently, the percentage of soldiers shooting to kill during World War Two was very low, by which I mean deliberate, aimed fire at individuals, most people mechanically banged away in a general direction, sprayed and prayed, or got lower than a snake's belly. And who can blame them?

NorrisMcWhirter
07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
ah, well, guess ill have to shup up here, as everything i say is wrong from now on.
kinda sad, its really the policy of "who's not with us, is against us", exactly the main policy of the country the american soldiers displayed in BoB fought against.
please, go ahead, lynch me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

What did you expect, DeBaer.534? It's the same old story around here; anything written in a book has to be correct.

Personally, I thought the first 30 mins of Saving Private Ryan to be an eye-opener just for the waste of life. As I've said before, the film then descended into a back slapping exercise where the cavalry turn up at the end to save the day just like they did when they fought those nasty indians.

I don't see the reasoning behind shooting prisoners after the advance up the beach being acceptable because it is purely a kill or be killed scenario and if you surrender, that should be honoured. If it isn't true, that would make it OK for allied soldiers to have been executed (because that is what it is) who were captured during the recent Gulf fiasco.

Returning to the thread topic itself, I've never watched BoB nor have been bothered to because I had an expectation that it would be like Saving Private Ryan (minus the first 30 mins) - true or false?

Cheers,
Norris

================================================== ==========

: Chris Morris - Blue Jam :
http://cabinessence.cream.org/

: More irreverence :
http://www.tvgohome.com/

: You've seen them... :
www.chavscum.co.uk (http://www.chavscum.co.uk)

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 10:52 AM
well, i personally think its still better than SPR. its generally more realistic, as its based on an actual story, not as SPR, which is pure fantasy (AFAIK). but theres the problem that Steven Spielberg made it, who somehow doesnt like germans, at least it seems so (thats my personal opinion, and i pretend in no way its the truth).

Breeze147
07-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Come on, guys. This is an interesting thread. Lets keep the nationalistic whining out of it. Band Of Brothers is the story of an American Company. Of course it shows their point of view. It's a show by Americans about Americans. It is as close to factual as can be accomplished.

I saw Das Boot. It was a movie about German U-Boat sailors told from a German point of view. I enjoyed it a great deal. If you want to see a movie about Germans showing the German point of view, why not petition your movie industry to make such a picture.

I guarantee Tully will shut this down if the nationalistic whining continues.

NorrisMcWhirter
07-01-2004, 11:29 AM
^ Agreed. Pity the nationalistic whining began immediately after the second post.

Cheers,
Norris

================================================== ==========

: Chris Morris - Blue Jam :
http://cabinessence.cream.org/

: More irreverence :
http://www.tvgohome.com/

: You've seen them... :
www.chavscum.co.uk (http://www.chavscum.co.uk)

dadada1
07-01-2004, 11:36 AM
DeBaer.534 as somone that has worked in the TV and film industry and can guess at why there is no attempt to portray the germans other than targets. Its the TV companies job to tell a story, that being the story of "Easy Company" and to give the book the best treatment it deserves. The book is simply one persons take on event's on the war so obviouly it is going to have a certain bias, but I dont think it tries to disguise the fact that it is a biased account. For me because of that it is very honest and beleivable. To include things about the conduct and fighting abilities of the Germans is not appropriate if it's not in the book/script. Thats a separate and valid production in it's own right. You forget the scene when the German major surrenders to the Americans and speaks very movingly to his own men. At that moment they are all Band of Brothers are regardless of uniform.

[This message was edited by dadada1 on Thu July 01 2004 at 10:46 AM.]

Owlsphone
07-01-2004, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Breeze147:
My favorite scene was when Winters informed the men that they were going to fake the second patrol into the town to capture prisoners. That shows the very real humanity at work, that a good officer is not going to needlessly risk the lives of his men.

Has anyone besides me noticed that on the first patrol, 3 Germans were captured. After the GI whose grenade blew up in his face died in front of the entire platoon in the basement, there were only 2 German soldiers. Wonder what happened to the 3rd one?

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The third german got hurt and 101st couldn't afford to carry him back across the river so they left him on the bank. The next morning they talk about his screaming for help because hes still outside and neither the Germans or Americans will pick him up.

Vertically challenged since 1984.

ploughman
07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey Breeze, it wasn't just a show 'about Americans by Americans'. The BBC invested quite a bit in the production of Band of Brothers, thinking it a very worth while concept and scheduled it for prime time on the BBCs premier channel here in the UK. It got shoved to a lesser BBC channel here when they got to look at the finished product though as every reference to Britain was negative, (the arsey tank commander, the laundry woman trying to get the GI to pay for his dead mates laundry etc.) they were a bit pissed off as they'd invested quite heavily in it. That aside, I thought it was a marvelous programme and I look forward to seeing the one based on the Pacific theatre.

Breeze147
07-01-2004, 11:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owlsphone:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Breeze147:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The third german got hurt and 101st couldn't afford to carry him back across the river so they left him on the bank. The next morning they talk about his screaming for help because hes still outside and neither the Germans or Americans will pick him up.

Vertically challenged since 1984.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I do remember the German on the bank and the Americans discussing putting him out of his misery. I could have sworn I saw 3 Germans in the cellar, though. OK, my bad. I stand corrected. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/1072.gif

Breeze147
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ploughman:
Hey Breeze, it wasn't just a show 'about Americans by Americans'. The BBC invested quite a bit in the production of Band of Brothers, thinking it a very worth while concept and scheduled it for prime time on the BBCs premier channel here in the UK. It got shoved to a lesser BBC channel here when they got to look at the finished product though as every reference to Britain was negative, (the arsey tank commander, the laundry woman trying to get the GI to pay for his dead mates laundry etc.) they were a bit pissed off as they'd invested quite heavily in it. That aside, I thought it was a marvelous programme and I look forward to seeing the one based on the Pacific theatre.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, I have a different take on those 2 scenes. I don't think the British tank commander was "arsey". He had his orders not to fire through buildings. He was caught between a rock and a hard place. He paid the ultimate price but he did not disobey his orders. SH*T happens in war. He possibly could have played the situation differently by getting the hell out of the middle of the road and sending one of his men up with the American to have a look. Unfortunately, no replay button in RL.

In the other scene, I actually didn't think that laundry woman knew these soldiers were dead. I don't think she was trying to con the American at all. He never said "Oh, those guys aren't coming back". He just kept paying up without saying a word. I really don't think she knew.

I really don't see that the British were cast in a bad light. IMHO.

ploughman
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
That's cool, the BBC thought otherwise and chucked their teddy out of the pram, as we say around here. All in all I thought it was excellent.

FirewolfX
07-01-2004, 12:38 PM
originally posted byNaNuK66 posted 01-07-04 04:38
BoB is a great series and i enjoyed watchin them all. Also its good to see that the actors in the series are given credit here. some of them really portrayed the real life GI well, like Mark Wahlberg that played Lipton, he did an astonishing job.
---------------------------------
Lipton was played by Donny Wahlberg, not Mark.
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Intel P4 2.4B
1GB 2700 DDR Memory
ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB
Saitek X-45

Franzen
07-01-2004, 12:38 PM
I saw Band of Brothers and didn't think it was so bad. As a German it's easy to notice the bias in previous movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Battle of the Bulge. But one thing I did like about Band of Brothers was that both sides were bad guys and good guys. There may have been a little bias but nothing compared to previous movies.
As for whether certain scenes really did happen or not, take them with a grain of salt. Sure some of the guys are still with us today but they've been telling those stories for 60 years. it's only psycologically natural for facts to change a little.
I for one did enjoy it and watched all 10 episodes back to back only pausing to change the dvd.
DeBaer, I understand your point but you must admit it was better than previous movies. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz Franzen

DeBaer.534
07-01-2004, 12:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franzen:

DeBaer, I understand your point but you must admit it was better than previous movies. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i already said that BoB is a nice series, and better than SPR and comporable movies.