PDA

View Full Version : Final version for press release? Confirmation request

EllJim
10-07-2014, 02:41 PM
I am posting this in a separate thread to the 900p/ 30fps since this is a linked but separate topic.

PLEASE do not bring up the version difference or anything to do with the "why it's locked to 900p 30fps" - there is an entire thread on this (28 pages and counting)

This thread is for the request/discussion of the code version of the press release I.e. the Does the version the press played 5 hours on represent the final game???

I am curious to know because more than one (and some don't state which version of the game they played) has stated they noticed moderate to significant slowdown in the game, and I'd like confirmation if this represents the final quality of the game I.e. there is slowdown, or the game is on a more polished version than the one they have sampled.

So Ubisoft team - Comments?

Example the next gen comments here:

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/assassins_creed_unity/preview-3814.html

"To go back to a previous paragraph, Assassin’s Creed: Unity is beautiful – when you’re standing still.

There’s still a bit of time to go, and the version we got our hands on could well be several revisions and optimisations old, but Unity’s performance issues are concerning. Targeting 900p and 30fps, it sports the same slightly vaselined look as its stable mate, Watch_Dogs, and gets very muddy and choppy in motion. The framerate behaves more erratically than an aristocrat during peasant uprising – obviously it depends on the scene, and the engine seemed to handle quieter streets and interiors without too many issues, but when trying to replicate moments from the trailers, perched up high, looking down on the crowd gathered at Notre Dame, the FPS took a nose dive into the low twenties. This happened a lot, especially during the kind of rooftop chases you can expect to be getting into pretty regularly. We were playing an Xbox One build, but were told that both console versions are the same."

Sushiglutton
10-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Yeah it's abit worrying. Fingers crossed the devs will be given time needed to finish the game they have worked on for several years! It would be heartbreaking otherwise!

Eurogamer:

Cramming all of the content in and polishing it up is now where the company is focusing. Unity still needs polish and an awful lot of it, if the amount of bugs we experienced in the preview build were anything to go by. We saw multiple building textures not popping in until we had climbed one side of a house and were already running across its roof. Then there were the falling bugs which caused you to plunge through the floor or become snagged and stuck, floating with jazz hands in thin air. And there were cut-scenes where the speech still needed to be properly lip-synched. There is still time to work on all of this - I'm guessing Ubisoft is willing to recruit most of Canada for the six or so weeks left before launch to get all of this done, but yet again it feels like another Assassin's Creed game that could have done with another few months to iron out all the wrinkles. It'll be very interesting to see the size of Unity's day one patch.

EllJim
10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
This is exactly why I am asking, after the less than stellar release of AC3 I'd have thought they would have learnt. Now we have already seen one delay (I assume to tackle issues like this) so I am somewhat hopeful but would like some sort of confirmation of what the press played.

SixKeys
10-07-2014, 03:47 PM
At least one of the previews mentioned that the Ubisoft representatives assured them they were still working on ironing out the bugs before release and that the version the press played was at least a few weeks old. Granted, having several different sources mention that there were still a lot of glaring issues in the version they played is quite worrying. Let's just hope for the best.

RinoTheBouncer
10-07-2014, 04:35 PM
*Waits for a 4.0GB update on day 1*

STDlyMcStudpants
10-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Of course it isn't the final version ;D
It's Assassins Creed. Rino jokes about a day 1 patch, but expect one.
The game will probably start to be printed and shipped in 2 weeks.. I'm not sure how this process is, but I can almost guarantee that the press were also a form of testing and they will be doing a few more tweaks based on feedback

pacmanate
10-07-2014, 08:20 PM
I would expect it would be a sorta recent build seeing as there were story missions present.

If what Eurogamer says is in retail I will be hella pissed. Would rather have a smaller dense city with less pop in.

What I want to know is the framerate, it needs to be smooth for parkour. I heard it was locked 30fps but previewers have said it dipped into mid 20's. That means it is not locked and rather a targeted 30.

I want it locked, will take screen tear over low framerate anyday

EllJim
10-07-2014, 08:31 PM
It reads that way for sure but after AC3...... you know once burnt twice shy?

This close to release, I'd have expected the press to be given what would be or near as anything the final version... However they have reported these issues.

I mean a few weeks before release and they are seeing building textures not loading etc? I'd have thought that would have been 6 months ago... I.e. you can tweak now but that seems like a fairly major streamlining issue.

I don't pre order games normally, I prefer to wait for sales/steam sales - However I make an exception for AC since I love the games and story, and was happy with Ac4 last year but just want to avoid an immersion breaking experience that tells me I shouldn't pre order but wait for 6 months and pick it up pre owned to give them chance to finally finish the optimization. I don't care what res it's at or 30 or 60 fps, I would just like a continuous experience, not one where the bubble is burst because the game is struggling to deliver it's intended environment

Not trying to sound like the waaa waaa 30fps thread, just reads to me that they are still struggling to finalize their games (AC3, watchdogs - Unity?) Which puts a blemish on a great games developer, with some really strong IP's.

Sushiglutton
10-07-2014, 08:43 PM
This is a fair point and I agree with you completely EllJim. But like SixKeys said, all we can really do is wait and hope!

Thing is that they start the marketing before they have reached production peak (according to the Metro article the peak was this summer). Of course this means it's very hard to predict what bugs and other problems that may show up in the few months leading up to launch and if they will be able to squash them in time. And since AC MUST ship every year there's no real wiggle room (the devs got two extra weeks...).

In short your concern is completely legit! I never pre-order games personally because I want to make sure my first playthrough won't be a wreck. If so I rather wait a month for more patches.

pacmanate
10-07-2014, 09:33 PM
The builds playing now arent going to be finished, they could have been made 2 months ago for all we know. Thats thing, we DON'T know.

I just hope the framerate is stable and that pop in is minimized cause whole building textures will be ridiclous

EllJim
10-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Hence the thread hoping someone will confirm, something anything - day one patch? not final version - Final version but don't worry we have a patch coming....

You really can see some judders in some of the videos even... that's marketing material....

Mr_Shade
10-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Just to say..

The code played - was not final - as many of you may have seen from the previews - and the game still being optimised ready for release :)

CockneyCharmer
10-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Just to say..

The code played - was not final - as many of you may have seen from the previews - and the game still being optimised ready for release :)

Good to know, thanks for the update and may I said, congrats on becoming Community Manager, your work on the forums for Ubisoft is the stuff of legends, nice to see its been rewarded with a deserved position.

Think we are all waiting for the day its announced AC Unity has gone gold!

pacmanate
10-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Should be gold in the next 2 weeks

EllJim
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Just to say..

Thanks for this - this was exactly what I was looking for.

Here's hoping for the final release then!

RinoTheBouncer
10-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Of course it isn't the final version ;D
It's Assassins Creed. Rino jokes about a day 1 patch, but expect one.
The game will probably start to be printed and shipped in 2 weeks.. I'm not sure how this process is, but I can almost guarantee that the press were also a form of testing and they will be doing a few more tweaks based on feedback

I’m definitely expecting a day 1 patch. In fact, I read on a page that there will be a very large day 1 patch on the day the game was announced to have been delayed till November 11th. They said that Unity will come out on Nov.11 as the developers need the extra 2 weeks, and there will be a large patch file just like ACIV. Not sure how correct the source was.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/28/assassins-creed-unity-release-date-delayed-to-november