PDA

View Full Version : books which got me interested in PF

fabianfred
09-18-2004, 09:02 AM
i've just read 'the cactus air Force' by thomas miller which is all about guadalcanal
also
pappy boyingtons one'baa baa black sheep'

both mention F4F's; SBD's;TBF's;etc

what were they? ... the pilots used these code names, but what were the official names for them

I wasn't really interested in PF until i'd read these books.....

fabianfred
09-18-2004, 09:02 AM
i've just read 'the cactus air Force' by thomas miller which is all about guadalcanal
also
pappy boyingtons one'baa baa black sheep'

both mention F4F's; SBD's;TBF's;etc

what were they? ... the pilots used these code names, but what were the official names for them

I wasn't really interested in PF until i'd read these books.....

Aztek_Eagle
09-18-2004, 12:23 PM
well all, europe, rusia and pacific fronts are pretty diferent and interesting, in the pacific pilots were tough wiht bad bases conditions and longrange missions, pilots sufered from fatige, aswell the worst enemy for most pilots in the pacific on boht sides were illness and fatige from long range missions, it is interesting that boh sides would launch night atacks to bases wiht the porpuse of keeping awake enemy fighter pilots so their fatige would be worst, at the time of china war japanese fighter pilots were flying missions compared to the distance from london to berlin and back, (am i wrong in this i cant remember well?)

i like to buy books, lets say from pacific, then buy from rusia or europe, to rotate the kind of reading....

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2004, 03:35 PM
SBD, TBD and F4F were official names. They refer, respectively, to the Douglas Dauntless, The Avenger (also known as TBF when made by Goodyear, I think) and Wildcat.

Tater-SW-
09-18-2004, 04:00 PM
The TBF is Grumman. The USN and IJN used a similar naming scheme for planes.

The first letter is the type (F=fighter, TB=torpedo bomber, SB=scout bomber) the number (if greater than 1) is the number of planes of that type requested by BuAer. The last letter is the manfacturer code (Grumman = F, Vought = U, Douglas = D, Eastern (GM) = M, Goodyear = G).

TBF is the first TB type made by Grumman. SBD is the first Scout Bomber type made for the Navy by Douglas. The TBM was a Eastern built TBF, hence the "M." BTW, like the Wildcat, eastern built the bulk of the TBF/Ms produced (they built twice as many Wildcats as Grumman as well).

Note that the IJN codes are identical: A6M A=carrier fighter, 6 = 6th made by M = Mitsubishi. The following number/letter combos are sub types (A6M2, A6M3, etc).

The names you hear, Avenger, Tomohawk, Mustang, etc. are actually the British designations of the American planes in many cases. Hang out with some ww2 vets who flew these birds, and you'll quickly find none of the Americans ever call them anything but numbers.

tater

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the clarification.