PDA

View Full Version : How annoyed are you by Alta´r in Revelations?

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Rate your answer on the 1-5 scale, with 1 being not at all annoyed and 5 being as annoyed as you could be. Judge your answer based on factors such as different voice acting, different weapons, different visuals etc.

I love Alta´r, he is my favourite, but the completely different voice actor and graphical upgrade made me feel like he wasn't Alta´r. I would have preferred it if they downgraded the graphics for his missions. Also, his lack of short blade was upsetting.

king-hailz
10-04-2014, 06:42 AM
Well I loved altair in acr I preferred him as a character after acr... I liked the voice actor and I loved the way they told his story it was freakin heartbreaking! I thought it was beautiful... so if there was a -10 option I would go for it... but there's not so I chose 1.

Fatal-Feit
10-04-2014, 06:44 AM
I rate it a 1. The only thing that bugged me was his new face. It didn't fit Altair, in my opinion. Everything else, including the voice change, didn't bother me. But that's probably because I was a casual who only played AC for the game-play, not particularly the story or anything else, at the time. :rolleyes:

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 06:54 AM
I prefer the voice actor in ACR but it's not the original so it annoys me

Ureh
10-04-2014, 06:57 AM
+ACR robes look awesome
+some really cool lines and story
-no shortblade, no crossbow?!
-the Apple's light revealed that they didn't give him actual nostrils

HiddenKiller612
10-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Not at all annoyed with him. I rather enjoyed Altair in both games...

Matt.mc
10-04-2014, 07:53 AM
The only thing that annoyed me was that he never wore the Altiar Armour from ACII/Brohood

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 08:38 AM
The only thing that annoyed me was that he never wore the Altiar Armour from ACII/Brohood

Imagine him wearing that armour on his robes

Hey guys think about this:
Remember how strange Desmond looked after the anvil next upgrade?
Think about how different Connor might look if he shows up in Unity and its new engine

Matt.mc
10-04-2014, 08:43 AM

What...?

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 09:03 AM
What...?

Alta´r's armour?
The stuff that Ezio wears when he unlocks the vault is just the armour, the black robes and cape are his own. Do you really think Alta´r designed those robes and cape?
This is what Alta´r made:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120615113761/assassinscreed/hu/images/8/87/Zw-codex-19.png
Ezio put that armour on top of his own black robes:
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/198/3/c/armor_of_altair_blueprints_by_fullmetalvamp-d3hr1su.jpg
This is what Alta´r would look like wearing his armour:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/023/f/0/armor_of_altair_by_darthdestruktor-d73ehbo.png

LUR21
10-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I was most annoyed about him not having his armour. He should have been wearing that when he talked to the polo's. Then he could have said to Darim just before he locked himself away " Take this Darim I do not need it in here. Keep it safe".

Plus us I would have rathered his voice and face from AC1.

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I was most annoyed about him not having his armour. He should have been wearing that when he talked to the polo's. Then he could have said to Darim just before he locked himself away " Take this Darim I do not need it in here. Keep it safe".

Plus us I would have rathered his voice and face from AC1.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to give the armour to Niccolo and Maffeo? They are Italian after all, and the armour ended up in Italy.

His face and voice from AC1 would have been perfect, that way I would feel more like I was actually playing as him.

LUR21
10-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah actually probably would make more sense to give it to them.

Barlog06
10-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Well, I think Altair's new face wasn't soooo much different from the 1-st game. If to compare with Desmond's and Ezio's Revelations faces. They really had completely different looks. And felt like different characters at all. But they had same voices though.

Actually I relly hate then character looks different in new games. It takes away this feeleng that it's still his story. I prefer bad graphics in that case.

SixKeys
10-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Voted 4. Old Alta´r didn't annoy me, it was only the scenes where he was supposed to look and feel like the Alta´r we knew from AC1 that didn't feel right. His voice, his climbing, his fighting style, his clothes, everything was just wrong. I pretty much hate him up until the scene where he comes back as an old man after his banishment. At that point it makes sense for him to look and sound different, so I can accept him as an older version of the character I know and love.

I will admit that Cas Anvar got admirably close to Philip Shahbaaz's voice in the scene where Alta´r is talking to Abbas and Al Mualim in the village. The accent is wrong, but the gravitas is there. It seems they re-recorded that scene just before release, because I remember watching a slightly different performance in a preview clip from IGN or some other site. He sounded much lighter there and I thought it was terrible, but in the game he has a darker, deeper voice.

Ah yes, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwgxRuZE4r0

Start at 7:07 for Alta´r. You can hear the difference especially well in his scene with Al Mualim, and the line "You will not leave this place alive, traitor" when he speaks with the Crusader.

Compare with how he sounds in the final game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewOy5p1H-Dc

Slightly OT, but it's interesting to note a few other differences between the demo and the final game version. When Alta´r sheathes his sword in the demo (after defeating the Crusader), it's the gold-hilted one that he receives towards the end of AC1 as a sign of his promotion, which makes no sense. In the final game, the sword is the Eagle-hilted one that he uses earlier in AC1. Also in the demo when he speaks with Al Mualim, there's a dead soldier on the ground in the cut scene with his head in a weird angle. It's slightly distracting while this serious conversation is going on. In the final game he's lying in a more natural pose.

ze_topazio
10-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I wasn't annoyed by him, even though I prefer his AC1 voice a lot more, what annoyed me was the story created for him, exaggerated dramatic, exaggerated tragic, and how come it took him 20 years of planning to take down Abbas?!

ACfan443
10-04-2014, 12:08 PM
I was pretty annoyed by the change in VA in ACR, I'm undecided on whether to vote 4 or 5. But what irked me more was ACR's Masyaf, it just didn't have the gritty/dark, almost meditative tone of its AC1 counterpart.

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I was pretty annoyed by the change in VA in ACR, I'm undecided on whether to vote 4 or 5. But what irked me more was ACR's Masyaf, it just didn't have the gritty/dark, almost meditative tone of its AC1 counterpart.

This is pretty much summed up by saying "graphical enhancements are not always improvements".
ACR would be pretty much perfect if they managed to replicate AC1 Alta´r and Masyaf, even if it meant downgrading the game.

@SixKeys
Yes I loved the prerelease video of Alta´r and Al Mualim, and I noticed the change in voice straight away.

Fatal-Feit
10-04-2014, 12:41 PM
This is pretty much summed up by saying "graphical enhancements are not always improvements".
ACR would be pretty much perfect if they managed to replicate AC1 Alta´r and Masyaf, even if it meant downgrading the game.

I don't think the graphical enhancements are the problem. The sequence, in general, was very cinematic, action-packed, and the soundtrack wasn't very gritty/dark/meditative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwgxRuZE4r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewOy5p1H-Dc

These videos reminds me of how great AC:R's combat was. If only chain kills weren't such a hassle.

ACfan443
10-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't think the graphical enhancements are the problem. The sequence, in general, was very cinematic, action-packed, and the soundtrack wasn't very gritty/dark/meditative.

Good points, but I think visual enhancements were still partly responsible for the shift in tone, it looked brighter and more colourful compared to the original Masyaf, and somewhat cartooney.

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Visual enhancements were definitely a problem; the textures of his robes made him look different, and it was offputting.

SixKeys
10-04-2014, 12:55 PM

True, but the graphical enhancements still played a small part. AC1 had muted, earthly colors and dust flying everywhere, creating a very somber and realistic atmosphere. ACR's colors were much brighter, so the village felt somehow more artificial. Not to mention Alta´r's robes, which looked really thick and hot to wear, whereas in AC1 they looked like they were made of thinner material and comfortable for Middle-Eastern heat.

Fatal-Feit
10-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Good points, but I think visual enhancements were still partly responsible for the shift in tone, it looked brighter and more colourful compared to the original Masyaf, and somewhat cartooney.

If you still think it's the visuals, then it probably was. I'm the least familiar with the Altair games. The camera in AC:1 was such a hassle for me that I experience amnesia no matter have many times I re-explore the cities.

Not to mention Alta´r's robes, which looked really thick and hot to wear, whereas in AC1 they looked like they were made of thinner material and comfortable for Middle-Eastern heat.

Honestly, I feel like Altair's robe was visually downgraded every time.

dxsxhxcx
10-04-2014, 01:33 PM
what annoyed me in ACR was that Altair didn't get the screen time he deserved, (IMO) he is the character who has the most original and well crafted story of all Assassins we got until now and Ubisoft (as always) didn't take full advantage of the "golden goose" they had on their hands.

Journey93
10-04-2014, 01:35 PM
wait what? people where annoyed by Altair in Revelations?
I actually started to care for him in ACR in AC1 he was just a typical assassin no personality but his part iN Revelations was very emotional

sem1rek
10-04-2014, 01:37 PM
How could I be annoyed by my favourite assassin?

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 01:40 PM
How could I be annoyed by my favourite assassin?
It's because he is my favourite that I am annoyed
He was too different, visually and character wise, so different that it felt like someone else

Fatal-Feit
10-04-2014, 01:56 PM
I have to admit, the lack of arrogance in AC:R Atlair did make him feel like an almost different character.

SixKeys
10-04-2014, 02:57 PM
He was too different, visually and character wise, so different that it felt like someone else

^ This.

Megas_Doux
10-04-2014, 03:07 PM

Then there is his voice!!!!!!!

I prefer AC I┤s version by a HUGE margin.

phoenix-force411
10-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Altair was never meant to look like Desmond nor did Ezio. AC: Revelations got that right. If you are above 2.5, you definitely have hate problems.

dxsxhxcx
10-04-2014, 03:36 PM

it makes sense for him to be a different person after the events of AC1 because its events matured him. Everything else IMO are changes that come with the improvement of the technology used to make these games, at least they can justify those by using the excuse of an upgraded animus. (IMO) the problem you have with it is the same as I have, we didn't have enough time to get used to these changes because his sequences were too short, ACR' screen time should've been equally divided between both characters (or maybe they should've even given more screen time to Altair because IMO his story was a lot more complicated than Ezio's).

Ureh
10-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Slightly OT, but it's interesting to note a few other differences between the demo and the final game version. When Alta´r sheathes his sword in the demo (after defeating the Crusader), it's the gold-hilted one that he receives towards the end of AC1 as a sign of his promotion, which makes no sense. In the final game, the sword is the Eagle-hilted one that he uses earlier in AC1. Also in the demo when he speaks with Al Mualim, there's a dead soldier on the ground in the cut scene with his head in a weird angle. It's slightly distracting while this serious conversation is going on. In the final game he's lying in a more natural pose.

I think he did have the gold sword at the beginning of AC1, in Solomon's Temple all the way till his rank was stripped. But I guess it doesn't make sense to have it in that ACR memory cause he wasn't the highest rank yet.

JustPlainQuirky
10-04-2014, 06:10 PM
I like Cas Anvar. <3

Namikaze_17
10-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Me? :p

000000000000000000000000000ALTAIR00000000000000000 000000000IS000000000000000000000000000000MY0000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000FAVORI TE00000000000000000ASSSASSIN0000000000000000000OF0 000000000000000000000ALL00000000000000000TIME00000 00000000000SO0000000000000000000000MY000000000000V OTE000000000000000000IS000000000000000000:rolleyes :

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 10:56 PM
it makes sense for him to be a different person after the events of AC1 because its events matured him. Everything else IMO are changes that come with the improvement of the technology used to make these games, at least they can justify those by using the excuse of an upgraded animus. (IMO) the problem you have with it is the same as I have, we didn't have enough time to get used to these changes because his sequences were too short, ACR' screen time should've been equally divided between both characters (or maybe they should've even given more screen time to Altair because IMO his story was a lot more complicated than Ezio's).

I know, that's not what I have a problem with, it's the character model, graphical enhancement giving his robes so much texture that he looks totally different and the voice actor.
Even with all the screen time in the world, I wouldn't get used to it.

I think that I could look past all the visual annoyances if they used the same VA. But no.
Because Ubisoft.

pacmanate
10-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Didnt feel like the same Altair, I have VA changes.

Farlander1991
10-04-2014, 11:03 PM
The only thing I was kind of annoyed with at first was Altair's behavior in the first memory before events of AC1. It seemed too mature in comparison to him at the beginning of AC1.

On the other hand, he single-handed saved the Mentor of the Order, and being somewhat of a teacher's favorite (and judging by how he was yet unknown by other Assassins, it wasn't until after that day he became the favorite), it's understandable how it could get to his head quite quickly.

Namikaze_17
10-04-2014, 11:15 PM
The only thing I was kind of annoyed with at first was Altair's behavior in the first memory before events of AC1. It seemed too mature in comparison to him at the beginning of AC1.

On the other hand, he single-handed saved the Mentor of the Order, and being somewhat of a teacher's favorite (and judging by how he was yet unknown by other Assassins, it wasn't until after that day he became the favorite), it's understandable how it could get to his head quite quickly.

I always figured he acted that way in the first memory because that must've been how Ezio viewed him while Desmond was viewing him as Ezio viewed himself a certain way as well.

SixKeys
10-04-2014, 11:25 PM
I think he did have the gold sword at the beginning of AC1, in Solomon's Temple all the way till his rank was stripped. But I guess it doesn't make sense to have it in that ACR memory cause he wasn't the highest rank yet.

The ACR memory takes place before the events of Solomon's Temple. Saving Al Mualim may have been what led to Alta´r being promoted to the highest rank, so he probably received the golden sword between these two events. The one thing that bugs me is that in the ACR memory Alta´r shows none of the arrogance he displays at the beginning of AC1.

LoyalACFan
10-04-2014, 11:48 PM
I wasn't annoyed by him as a character at all. I enjoyed seeing a more mature Altair. However, it DID bug me that he fought exactly like Ezio. It's like damn, they could have at least given him a few of his classic animations instead of just the ones he shared with Ezio.

KG_NOx
10-05-2014, 12:10 AM
I did like him in AC:R buut the only thing that annoys me since 2009 that he didn't had a proper sequel, truth that Altair's chronicles and bloodlines were pretty good games

LoyalACFan
10-05-2014, 12:15 AM
I did like him in AC:R buut the only thing that annoys me since 2009 that he didn't had a proper sequel, truth that Altair's chronicles and bloodlines were pretty good games

Been saying it for a while now; I would TOTALLY buy AC1 and AC2 redux if they revamped the gameplay and kept the original soundtracks.

KG_NOx
10-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Been saying it for a while now; I would TOTALLY buy AC1 and AC2 redux if they revamped the gameplay and kept the original soundtracks.

me2 buddy :)

cawatrooper9
10-05-2014, 12:37 AM
I find him way less annoying than the whiny and arrogant child he was in AC1.

Farlander1991
10-05-2014, 03:07 AM
The ACR memory takes place before the events of Solomon's Temple. Saving Al Mualim may have been what led to Alta´r being promoted to the highest rank, so he probably received the golden sword between these two events. The one thing that bugs me is that in the ACR memory Alta´r shows none of the arrogance he displays at the beginning of AC1.

"Abbas.No mistakes." ;)

There's more like supple hints of it rather than full on arrogance,but he rides in Big Damn Heroes style and gives orders in a way that implies that he's superior.He also showed his superiority in talks with the Crusader.And when Al Mualim talked to him,he explained why he listened to the Crusader with what I hear as 'well this is why,dummy',again subtly showing superiority.

This may greatly rely on interpretation,and I didnt think like this at first,but I see enough hints to believe this Altair will snowball inot being an arrogant ***

Altair1789
10-05-2014, 03:11 AM

Hey guys think about this:
Remember how strange Desmond looked after the anvil next upgrade?
Think about how different Connor might look if he shows up in Unity and its new engine

The reason Desmond looked so different was because they were trying to make him look like some actor (I don't know his name) and they couldn't do it very well until AC3. Then he kinda looked like the actor. So I don't think he'd look very different with all the "IT WAS THE ANIMUS' FAULT" (for example making Alta´r look like Desmond and Ezio look like him in AC2) excuses out of the way.

LoyalACFan
10-05-2014, 04:26 AM
The reason Desmond looked so different was because they were trying to make him look like some actor (I don't know his name) and they couldn't do it very well until AC3. Then he kinda looked like the actor. So I don't think he'd look very different with all the "IT WAS THE ANIMUS' FAULT" (for example making Alta´r look like Desmond and Ezio look like him in AC2) excuses out of the way.

I'm not sure exactly WTF happened to the modern characters' faces in AC3 (likely just a rush job like everything else about the modern content in that game) but considering that they used pretty sophisticated facial mocap for Connor, I don't foresee him looking much different if he ever shows up again.

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 04:39 AM
They rescan the faces for every game
There will definitely be a change in his appearance if he shows up in Unity, seeing as it pushes next gen to the limit
It's like how Connor looks slightly different in AC3:L

LoyalACFan
10-05-2014, 05:10 AM
They rescan the faces for every game
There will definitely be a change in his appearance if he shows up in Unity, seeing as it pushes next gen to the limit
It's like how Connor looks slightly different in AC3:L

Connor looks slightly different in AC3:L because I'm pretty sure they didn't actually scan Noah's face for it. Plus it's a graphically worse game because handheld.

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Connor looks slightly different in AC3:L because I'm pretty sure they didn't actually scan Noah's face for it. Plus it's a graphically worse game because handheld.

They used the AC3 scans

And yes, he looked different because it had worse graphics
So imagine the difference since Unity has better graphics

HiddenKiller612
10-05-2014, 08:20 AM
They used the AC3 scans

So what do you suggest? That they lower the graphics on Connor's character if he appears, which is doubtful, just so you feel like it is actually him?

LoyalACFan
10-05-2014, 08:20 AM
They used the AC3 scans

Eh, in terms of face animations in the cutscenes it doesn't really seem to have that much better graphics. Everything else is leaps and bounds better, but AC3's cutscene face animations/graphics were by all accounts fantastic.

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 08:23 AM
So what do you suggest? That they lower the graphics on Connor's character if he appears, which is doubtful, just so you feel like it is actually him?

No because it's unavoidable really, it's a new engine.
Plus, I didn't really care when the modern day protagonists changed looks when AC3 came out, because I didn't connect with them
And as I said earlier, I could overlook all the visual annoyances with Alta´r if they just kept the same voice actor, so as long as they keep Noah, I'll be good.

Eh, in terms of face animations in the cutscenes it doesn't really seem to have that much better graphics. Everything else is leaps and bounds better, but AC3's cutscene face animations/graphics were by all accounts fantastic.

Agreed. It seems that instead of using the extra power of the machines to generate better graphics, they kept the graphics relatively equal and focused that power on advanced mechanics.

Farlander1991
10-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Even in AC3 itself, gameplay Connor looks different from cutscene Connor, his face model is more low-res and because of that doesn't look the same. I think ACL used Connor's gameplay model, though as I've seen screens of Connor from HD version only, that might not be the case with the handheld one.

EDIT: Speaking of voice actors, poor Altair has got tons of voices. AC1, ACR, Altair's Chronicles (the iOS version that's got voice overs, out of AC games on DS only Discovery is voiced), and Bloodlines - different actor in each.

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Even in AC3 itself, gameplay Connor looks different from cutscene Connor, his face model is more low-res and because of that doesn't look the same. I think ACL used Connor's gameplay model, though as I've seen screens of Connor from HD version only, that might not be the case with the handheld one.

EDIT: Speaking of voice actors, poor Altair has got tons of voices. AC1, ACR, Altair's Chronicles (the iOS version that's got voice overs, out of AC games on DS only Discovery is voiced), and Bloodlines - different actor in each.

On the Vita, Connor has a really big and flat nose, and you can't see his eyes that well

Spinoff games I can forgive for having different VA
It's like how when a TV show based on a movie gets released, only 10% of the original cast returns and that's only because they have nothing better to do

There are just some things in life I will never get over
And Cas Anvar is one of them, no matter how awesome he is

rrebe
10-05-2014, 10:06 AM
At first I just didn't know how to react, didn't really like the voice or face much, but didn't hate them either. Over time I got used to the new Alta´r I guess.

RinoTheBouncer
10-05-2014, 10:10 AM
I wasnĺt annoyed at all. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that they changed his accent to a stereotypical foreign one. I was ok with the American accent in AC1. Everyone else spoke a foreign english accent, while he had an American one and it gave the game a special taste cause it made him stand out as being a different person, like heĺs from another world or mentality and of different principles.

Had they gave him an accent from the beginning, it wouldĺve been more acceptable to me in Revelations, but the change was totally unnecessary. I believe changing voice actors butchers the character.

zkorejo
10-05-2014, 11:06 AM
I wasnt annoyed.. I liked it.

SixKeys
10-05-2014, 11:22 AM
"Abbas.No mistakes." ;)

There's more like supple hints of it rather than full on arrogance,but he rides in Big Damn Heroes style and gives orders in a way that implies that he's superior.He also showed his superiority in talks with the Crusader.And when Al Mualim talked to him,he explained why he listened to the Crusader with what I hear as 'well this is why,dummy',again subtly showing superiority.

This may greatly rely on interpretation,and I didnt think like this at first,but I see enough hints to believe this Altair will snowball inot being an arrogant ***

I don't view those as signs of arrogance, honestly. More like (over)confidence and rank. It's not arrogant to tell your comrade/underling that there's no room for mistakes. His talk with the Crusader felt more like a mixture of obstinance and blind loyalty to Al Mualim's teachings. Which I wouldn't classify as arrogance, considering that by AC1's beginning he had forsaken that loyalty in favor of thinking that his way was better than the Creed. ACR Alta´r was loyal and wise in ways that AC1 Alta´r wasn't, which makes the transition strange.

Loki Will Rule
10-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I much preferred him in AC1 than I did in Revelations. I also liked his first voice a lot more.

Farlander1991
10-05-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't view those as signs of arrogance, honestly. More like (over)confidence and rank. It's not arrogant to tell your comrade/underling that there's no room for mistakes. His talk with the Crusader felt more like a mixture of obstinance and blind loyalty to Al Mualim's teachings. Which I wouldn't classify as arrogance, considering that by AC1's beginning he had forsaken that loyalty in favor of thinking that his way was better than the Creed. ACR Alta´r was loyal and wise in ways that AC1 Alta´r wasn't, which makes the transition strange.

Overconfidence is the word I should've chosen. Overconfidence can turn to assholish arrogance in time, or eventually uncover it from somewhere in you. I've seen situations like that.

cawatrooper
10-05-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't think that it's a bad thing to say that Altair was arrogant in AC1- by the end of the game, and in ACR, he gets much wiser. That's just how character development works, folks.

Kakuzu745
10-05-2014, 05:59 PM
What really annoys me is the fact that the "final game" for Altair was just reduced to some random small playing scenes.