PDA

View Full Version : Request to Oleg : Radiator cut-off valve for Bf 109 F/G/K

02-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Dear Oleg, is there a possibility that Il-2 would model radiator shutoff valves of the Bf 109 F, G and K series ? According to the handbook of these models, a switch was found in the cocpit, which allowed the left of right underwing radiator to be cut from the main coolant supply. This could be used to prevent the coolant flowing away if one of the radiators were holed or damaged, and the plane could limp back to base on the reduced capacity of one radiator.

ie., the finn manual of Bf 109 G-2 notes on pg 14, Part 6, Cooling system :

"If either one of the liquid coolers is hit, the damaged cooler must be disconnected from the system immiately by pulling the handles on the left and right in the forward part of the cocpit depending on which the radiators was damaged."

Such Kuhlerabschaltung is also present in the G-6, K-4 Handbuch.

Also, I have found an interesting part in one German test flight`s description of Bf 109 G-1. It notes :

"Beschreibung der Grundausfuhrung Me 109 G 1

Zelle : [....] Rueckenpanzerung und Kopfpanzerung, Kuhlerpanzerung und Leichtmetallpanzerung."

or

Description of the model Me 109 G 1

Back(seat) armor and head armor, ***cooler/radiator armor,*** light alloy armor.

I am not sure what exactly Kuhlerpanzerung refers to... "Kuhler" can either refer to te oil cooler under the nose, or the coolant radiators under the wing. Light alloy armor refers to many sheets of aluminium plates installed behind the fuel tank, weighting 32 kg, to give protection to it and the pilot from bullets. British tests show it was very effective vs. 7.62mm rounds, and effectice in cases vs. 12.7mm rounds, too (this armor was removed when MW-50 tank was installed, however the tank itself provided some alternative protection). I would like to know if this armor is modelled in Il-2FB.

I would be great if this was to be modelled in FB, or in the following sims, to match historical reality.

Thank you for your time for answer Oleg.

02-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Dear Oleg, is there a possibility that Il-2 would model radiator shutoff valves of the Bf 109 F, G and K series ? According to the handbook of these models, a switch was found in the cocpit, which allowed the left of right underwing radiator to be cut from the main coolant supply. This could be used to prevent the coolant flowing away if one of the radiators were holed or damaged, and the plane could limp back to base on the reduced capacity of one radiator.

ie., the finn manual of Bf 109 G-2 notes on pg 14, Part 6, Cooling system :

"If either one of the liquid coolers is hit, the damaged cooler must be disconnected from the system immiately by pulling the handles on the left and right in the forward part of the cocpit depending on which the radiators was damaged."

Such Kuhlerabschaltung is also present in the G-6, K-4 Handbuch.

Also, I have found an interesting part in one German test flight`s description of Bf 109 G-1. It notes :

"Beschreibung der Grundausfuhrung Me 109 G 1

Zelle : [....] Rueckenpanzerung und Kopfpanzerung, Kuhlerpanzerung und Leichtmetallpanzerung."

or

Description of the model Me 109 G 1

Back(seat) armor and head armor, ***cooler/radiator armor,*** light alloy armor.

I am not sure what exactly Kuhlerpanzerung refers to... "Kuhler" can either refer to te oil cooler under the nose, or the coolant radiators under the wing. Light alloy armor refers to many sheets of aluminium plates installed behind the fuel tank, weighting 32 kg, to give protection to it and the pilot from bullets. British tests show it was very effective vs. 7.62mm rounds, and effectice in cases vs. 12.7mm rounds, too (this armor was removed when MW-50 tank was installed, however the tank itself provided some alternative protection). I would like to know if this armor is modelled in Il-2FB.

I would be great if this was to be modelled in FB, or in the following sims, to match historical reality.

Thank you for your time for answer Oleg.

Oleg_Maddox
02-27-2004, 09:36 AM
I promise to make it in the next sim BOB.
Not in FB with AEP.
Spitfires and some other aircraft also had it. Even these that carier one radiator had some time such thing.
But we don't model many other things. Just becasue it is easy to make flight sim of one plane and hard to make the sim with the amount of plane more than 10...
Say for example we don't model the manual tunings of nozzle for jet engines Jumo or BMW during the flight at different altitudes and modes of flight, like it was in real life but use just auto settings in code (but it is modelled currently).
There are already so many buttons and features under control that novices simply can't handle it even in arcade settings.......

We already have so many different modules for different aircraft hat never had in the past other sims... Sure you will see it also in AEP with some of new planes..

Gunner_361st
02-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Yes, I imagine the work to implement everything imagineable about one aircraft could easily be equal to a number of others with more simplified approaches. I have a feeling Battle of Britain will be incredible, hopefully my fairly new PC will be able to handle it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Captain Gunner of the 361st

http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1039.jpg

02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
I promise to make it in the next sim BOB.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BIG THANK YOU, Oleg' http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Can you help me perhaps with "Kuhlerpanzerung" ? Was this armoring the coolant radiators or the oil cooler ? How heavy this armor was ?

I am asking this because I am building a technical reference site of Bf109. It would be a great help. Thanks again.

Fornixx
02-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Amazing Oleg, you are the definition of customer care!!!

Thx a million, here you have one happy customer and a sure sale for AEP and BoB!

S!