PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Blade

dimbismp
09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
How exactly does the hidden blade work?I made a small research but found nothing.
It would make sense if a little string was connected to the assassin's fingers and the hidden blade,but there isn't one.
I just can't understand and accept that the mechanism behind the hidden blade is a "flick of the wrist"

marvelfannumber
09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
I believe it is described as a muscle mechanism. I.e flicking you wrist as you said activates it.

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 09:46 AM
It's an idiotic weapon in practice. No way you can design a blade that you can easily both extend (and in this position it can take a lof of pressure) and withdraw with just a flick of the wrist. It would also be super dangerous because if it extends accidently you could hurt your hand severly. It's also not very well hidden and in eras where carrying swords was fine, hiding a knife doesn't make any sense at all. And it marks the carrier as an assassin.

Now this may seem critical, but nothing could be further from the truth! The fact that HB is completely unrealistic is precisely why it's such a brilliant idea! It's one of those things that is just cool, making sense or not doesn't matter.

Farlander1991
09-29-2014, 09:51 AM
There are videos on YouTube which shows hidden blades activated by gravity/inertia. It's not exactly a flick of the wrist, you can notice that all Assassins do a motion with their whole arm when they get out their hidden blades.

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
There are videos on YouTube which shows hidden blades activated by gravity/inertia. It's not exactly a flick of the wrist, you can notice that all Assassins do a motion with their whole arm when they get out their hidden blades.

Good luck making that work smoothly in practice :)! And how do you withdraw it?

Farlander1991
09-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Good luck making that work smoothly in practice :)! And how do you withdraw it?

Well, withdrawal is a flick of the wrist :p There's an auto-lock mechanism that keeps the blade locked and as soon as it's released the blade goes in by itself. Since Assassins usually keep their hands away from the blade during kills and everything, there's probably some pushing motion towards the blade involved.

String would be much more practical though, and to be fair, AC official hidden blade concept art shows strings.

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, withdrawal is a flick of the wrist :p There's an auto-lock mechanism that keeps the blade locked and as soon as it's released the blade goes in by itself. Since Assassins usually keep their hands away from the blade during kills and everything, there's probably some pushing motion towards the blade involved.

String would be much more practical though, and to be fair, AC official hidden blade concept art shows strings.

You need to generate enough energy whent you extend the blade so that the springmechanism is able to withdraw it. And given how insta-fast it happens it must be a pretty strong spring. I dunno, I think I need to see a prototype to believe it is possible :). But like I said it doesn't take anything away from the HB at all!

Farlander1991
09-29-2014, 10:28 AM
You need to generate enough energy whent you extend the blade so that the springmechanism is able to withdraw it. And given how insta-fast it happens it must be a pretty strong spring. I dunno, I think I need to see a prototype to believe it is possible :). But like I said it doesn't take anything away from the HB at all!

YouTube has got intertia-activated hidden blades. Though, I saw only one that was retracted automatically (all others didn't have a retract mechanism). But I can't find it now, since most hidden blades on YouTube are string-on-finger (pull string, blade springs, pull string again, it goes back), which makes the most sense, and, as I already said, what Ubi concepts actually show :p

EmbodyingSeven5
09-29-2014, 10:30 AM
forget this. someone needs to figure out how a light saber works!

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 10:36 AM
pull string, blade springs, pull string again, it goes back

So how does this work energy wise? I mean no matter how the blade is constructed energy will be lost when it extends and is withdrawn due to friction. New energy needs to be added somehow.

Also a string mechanism sound very unsafe. What if the string is pulled when you are say climbing a church tower?

Farlander1991
09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
So how does this work energy wise? I mean no matter how the blade is constructed energy will be lost when it extends and is withdrawn due to friction. New energy needs to be added somehow.

Do you even YouTube? :p I'm telling you, there's tons of videos with different variations on the things, here's like the first random one you can find (though, it's not the most deadly in terms of practical use, there are other versions which would be more effecient).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRR-b979QA
And there are a lot more. String-based hidden-blade mechanism is perfectly viable.

Also a string mechanism sound very unsafe. What if the string is pulled when you are say climbing a church tower?

I've seen hidden blades that add a locking mechanism so string wouldn't do anything. Also different variants, one of the most sensible ones, IMO, would be a button in the place of assassin inisgnia.

hood3dassassin5
09-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Magic

GoldenBoy9999
09-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Here, if you have time read the hidden blade wiki for a bit. I was wondering how it worked one time so I looked it up. There's some interesting stuff. Edward talks in Forsaken how he figured it out with a flick of the wrist and stuff. A long time ago me and my friend discussed how it worked and we couldn't figure it out. I don't know if there's an official explanation. It seems unclear. http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Hidden_Blade

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Do you even YouTube? :p I'm telling you, there's tons of videos with different variations on the things, here's like the first random one you can find (though, it's not the most deadly in terms of practical use, there are other versions which would be more effecient).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRR-b979QA
And there are a lot more. String-based hidden-blade mechanism is perfectly viable.

I've seen hidden blades that add a locking mechanism so string wouldn't do anything. Also different variants, one of the most sensible ones, IMO, would be a button in the place of assassin inisgnia.

"Youtube", sounds like some kind of new personal bathing facility.

That's cool, it seems to work then. Interesting.

MakimotoJin
09-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Well it's in the same universe that has a metal ball that controls human's brains.There are many ways to think of how a Hidden Blade could work,but one thing is in my mind:how does Connor's blade spin to be a sort of a dagger,while at the same time it doesn't spin while stabbing someone?And how does Connor see through his big hood?And what is the meaning of life?

Fatal-Feit
09-29-2014, 06:35 PM
According to AC:IV's novel, IIRC, it's not activated through the flick of the wrist or hand, but the muscle on your forearm.

There are many ways to think of how a Hidden Blade could work,but one thing is in my mind:how does Connor's blade spin to be a sort of a dagger,while at the same time it doesn't spin while stabbing someone?
Gravity? I've always wondered how the hookblade functions as well. Or how Ezio uses the hidden pistol with one arm.

Wrapping your brain about one pivot is hard enough. :nonchalance:

Locopells
09-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Yeah, bend your hand back, with your finger on where you'd take a pulse from, and you'll feel the muscle go hard - I guess it has something to do with that.

HoIcon
09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
You could try make it how it was originally going to be
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efh-TmxXJIw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efh-TmxXJIw

poptartz20
09-29-2014, 08:16 PM
According to AC:IV's novel, IIRC, it's not activated through the flick of the wrist or hand, but the muscle on your forearm.

Gravity? I've always wondered how the hookblade functions as well. Or how Ezio uses the hidden pistol with one arm.

Wrapping your brain about one pivot is hard enough. :nonchalance:

yeah... I don't even want to think about the hookblade I never really liked it. Ezio's arm would have snapped off. I feel the HB is more realistic in that sense.