PDA

View Full Version : The Annual Releases need to stop!!

Journey93
09-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I really love the AC series its one of my favourite game franchises BUT I think it has been very stagnant lately (in terms of design, enviroment etc.) and thats very disappointing and Ubi's way of handling the franchise isn't giving me any hope for the future (two AC's this year, nope people will not get sick of it right?)
I mean just because something is succesful doesn't mean you have to milk it to death (look at Skyrim, GTA V etc., both top games but the developers are smart enough to not turn them to annual franchises just because of that)

They really need to take two years (or even more) off so that AC can actually be innovative again
From the looks of it Rogue looks boring/lazy in every aspect except story and Unity does seem better but still nothing groundbreaking by any means
For it to be a respective franchise again (and not like Every yeah another AC bahh boring) there needs to be a pause
Anyone agree?

Disadvantages with annual releases:
- boring mission design (like AC4, the infamous tailing missions)
- reusing assets so that they can stay in the same century/continent/ similiar enviroment
- same old gameplay with no innovation (see combat)
- rushed story (Brotherhood, AC3, IV)
- not pushing the limits
--> look at Batman Arkham Knight or The Witcher 3 both games look like they are a step up in every regard (scale, gameplay etc.) compared to previous games

Anyone agree with me? And please look at this objectively I know we all like AC but the annual releases are hurting the franchise
What started as a series that had a very interesting overarching storyline (MD) which connected the historical parts and gave them purpose
we know have random games

JustPlainQuirky
09-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Disadvantages with annual releases:
- boring mission design (like AC4, the infamous tailing missions)
- reusing assets so that they can stay in the same century/continent
- not pushing the limits
--> look at Batman Arkham Knight or The Witcher 3 both games look like they are a step up in every regard (scale, gameplay etc.) compared to previous games

I'm sorry.

Are you in the development team? I didn't think so.

So please don't pretend you know the reasons behind their design choices.

HiddenKiller612
09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry.

Shhhhh... don't bring logic into this :rolleyes:

marvelfannumber
09-28-2014, 10:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmSBv8llQ8k

Megas_Doux
09-28-2014, 10:02 PM
No more annual releases! Since another disadvantage is the fact that fan feedback takes more time to be considered, and thus, implemented.

Xstantin
09-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Unity could very well be the step up you're looking for.

HiddenKiller612
09-28-2014, 10:03 PM
No more annual releases! Since another disadvantage is the fact that fan feedback takes more time to be considered, and thus, implemented.
Considering most fan feedback is the same game to game.... pretty sure they already got the gist of it.

marvelfannumber
09-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Unity could very well be the step up you're looking for.

Oh yeah and AC3, but people didn't seem to like that one very much because it was different.

#generalizaton

RinoTheBouncer
09-28-2014, 10:04 PM
I do agree with you. Hell, I even made a thread like this few months back, but I guess as long as each game is selling +10M copies, they’re pretty much sticking to this strategy. However, I do agree with everything you said and I really wish they focus on quality rather than quantity. AC:U has made a lot of changes, and I’m excited for the whole outfits thing, but I’m sure had it been set for a late 2015 or early 2016 release, it would’ve been a true next-gen experience.

A lot of us, AC fans only love the games for the story, the way it’s directed and the main aspects of it. I personally couldn’t care less about MP, Co-op, multiple ways of doing a mission, heists or side-quests and pointless collectibles, and so far, the only changes are in the layers, not the core. I wanna see an improved core. I wanna see something like the classic ACs. ACIII was perfect except for it’s obviously rushed and badly directed ending, ACIV could’ve had a much better modern day if it was given enough time and now all I see is them chopping off parts of the games and making the stories less connected and more self-contained just to meet the deadline.

pacmanate
09-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Quality isn't an issue for me.

Reused assets and continuity issues are. Having multiple games in development causes weird random inconsistencies.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry.

I mean, he does kind of have a point. Were it not for the yearly release mentality, do you really think Rogue would look exactly like Black Flag? The devs aren't lazy.

That said, I'm not really on board the "yearly releases are killing the franchise" train, because they really seem to be hitting their stride with it. Yeah, there were some hiccups (ACR and AC3 were obviously not finished to their full potential) but AC4 was fantastic and Unity looks even better. Cautious optimism, people.

JustPlainQuirky
09-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I mean, he does kind of have a point. Were it not for the yearly release mentality, do you really think Rogue would look exactly like Black Flag? The devs aren't lazy.

That said, I'm not really on board the "yearly releases are killing the franchise" train, because they really seem to be hitting their stride with it. Yeah, there were some hiccups (ACR and AC3 were obviously not finished to their full potential) but AC4 was fantastic and Unity looks even better. Cautious optimism, people.

Rogue wouldn't exist at all, I imagine.

Of course I won't take that assumption as fact.

marvelfannumber
09-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Rogue wouldn't exist at all, I imagine.

Well I have officially changed my mind, annual releases are actually the best thing ever, because they mean moar Haytham.

Xstantin
09-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah and AC3, but people didn't seem to like that one very much because it was different.

#generalizaton

Oh well, it's the same as beaked hoods and red sashes in a way.

Person A: "Slapping the Assassin look on every protag is bad and lazy, it doesn't go with the period!"
Person B: "No beaked hood, no buy! It's not what a true Assassin looks like!"

I guess they can't please everyone.

hood3dassassin5
09-28-2014, 10:13 PM
They were working on Unity since AC brotherhood, right? I' fine with annual releases as long as they're working on something that will be 10 times better than the games they worked on within That timeframe. But, if they're going to start doing TWO games a year on the SAME generation consoles(not cross-platform) the least they can do is lower the $60 price tag

marvelfannumber
09-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Oh well, it's the same as beaked hoods and red sashes in a way.

Person A: "Slapping the Assassin look on every protag is bad and lazy, it doesn't go with the period!"
Person B: "No beaked hood, no buy! It's not what a true Assassin looks like!"

I guess they can't please everyone.

Judging by YouTube comments they can't please anyone.

Person A: Black Flag was a refreshing change of pace due to it's vibrant setting and different characters/gameplay.
Person B: Black Flag was barely an AC game! It was more of a pirate game than an AC game! #PiratesCreed!

RinoTheBouncer
09-28-2014, 10:15 PM
They were working on Unity since AC brotherhood, right? I' fine with annual releases as long as they're working on something that will be 10 times better than the games they worked on within That timeframe. But, if they're going to start doing TWO games a year on the SAME generation consoles(not cross-platform) the least they can do is lower the $60 price tag

I couldn’t believe that they’ve been working on Unity since Brotherhood, not for a second. I’m sure they started after or during ACIII.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Judging by YouTube comments they can't please anyone.

Person A: Black Flag was a refreshing change of pace due to it's vibrant setting and different characters/gameplay.
Person B: Black Flag was barely an AC game! It was more of a pirate game than an AC game! #PiratesCreed!

Judging by YouTube comments the world is a ****ing cesspit that needs to be nuked out of existence. I wouldn't take anything seen over there too seriously.

LieutenantRex
09-28-2014, 10:17 PM
I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU! THESE ANNUAL RELEASES NEED TO STOP!

☻/ This is Bob . Copy and paste him
/▌ all over the Ubiforums
/ \ so Ubisoft can hear our demands. REVOLUTION!

pacmanate
09-28-2014, 10:17 PM
I couldn’t believe that they’ve been working on Unity since Brotherhood, not for a second. I’m sure they started after or during ACIII.

4 years apparently so it would be Brotherhood time. But that doesn't mean in engine stuff. Could have well been early concepts, ideas, brainstorms etc for a year or so.

RinoTheBouncer
09-28-2014, 10:19 PM
4 years apparently so it would be Brotherhood time. But that doesn't mean in engine stuff. Could have well been early concepts, ideas, brainstorms etc for a year or so.

Maybe it’s early concepts, as you said, or just an idea like “Let’s take it to France”, “Where in France? and when in France?”, “Revolution? sounds good”. Either that or the claim that it’s been in development for 4 years is just exaggeration from the team themselves.

marvelfannumber
09-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Judging by YouTube comments the world is a ****ing cesspit that needs to be nuked out of existence. I wouldn't take anything seen over there too seriously.

I know, I have no idea why I put myself through such torture. It makes for a good laugh if you have a bottle of Coke by your side though (or beer, but I don't drink).

Xstantin
09-28-2014, 10:21 PM
^It's still fun to read the YT comments sometimes.

pacmanate
09-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Maybe it’s early concepts, as you said, or just an idea like “Let’s take it to France”, “Where in France? and when in France?”, “Revolution? sounds good”. Either that or the claim that it’s been in development for 4 years is just exaggeration from the team themselves.

Well technically isn't that "development" anyway? Just getting ideas together etc?

Development definition is - Process of something being developed.

Journey93
09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry.

I never pretented anything I'm just stating the obvious disadvantages
But crazy fanboys like you probably think that the tailing missions or reusing assets are artistic choices

They are rushing the games to meet the deadlines thats it so they reuse assets, copy and paste the mission design & combat etc.

marvelfannumber
09-28-2014, 10:32 PM
I never pretented anything I'm just stating the obvious disadvantages
But crazy fanboys like you probably think that the tailing missions or reusing assets are artistic choices

Haven't people been complained about tailing missions since AC2? You'd have think they would have gotten the message earlier, despite the annual releases.

RinoTheBouncer
09-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Well technically isn't that "development" anyway? Just getting ideas together etc?

Development definition is - Process of something being developed.

Yes, of course. That’s the literal meaning of ‘development’. It’s just that they always give the impression that they mean that the game is being crafted in 3D since that time, which I doubt that it’s true. I believe most games create a map of ideas for sequels even when their current game is being made cause they usually introduce stuff in the present game that they’d continue later. I just wanna sneak into Ubisoft and learn about their next games, haha! I’d sign any NDA for that.

Dead1y-Derri
09-28-2014, 10:36 PM
I personally don't mind them doing year releases because I enjoy the games regardless. It would be nice if we saw something like AC Unity ever year (as it could be argued AC Unity is really pushing the boat out on this one) but the games hold enough appeal to be year releases and the choices they tend to make are good for the series. We also need to remember that multiple development teams work on the game before the year it comes out e.g. They didn't release AC: Black Flag and then start on AC Unity, they've been developing AC Unity for a couple years I think from what has been said.

I think people are looking at the yearly releases and hating on them because they've seen something like AC Rouge but AC Rouge is really just being brought out to fill the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation gap as no way could AC Unity run on those consoles unless they made it a horrible downgraded mess.

JustPlainQuirky
09-28-2014, 10:36 PM
But crazy fanboys like you
1. fangirl
2. I'm not a blind follower. I critisize Ubi everyday with their recent handling of Modern Day
3. it's not as 'obvious' as you think. And unless you're working in the inside, you can't say what are and what are not design choices

Journey93
09-28-2014, 10:38 PM
I do agree with you. Hell, I even made a thread like this few months back, but I guess as long as each game is selling +10M copies, they’re pretty much sticking to this strategy. However, I do agree with everything you said and I really wish they focus on quality rather than quantity. AC:U has made a lot of changes, and I’m excited for the whole outfits thing, but I’m sure had it been set for a late 2015 or early 2016 release, it would’ve been a true next-gen experience.

A lot of us, AC fans only love the games for the story, the way it’s directed and the main aspects of it. I personally couldn’t care less about MP, Co-op, multiple ways of doing a mission, heists or side-quests and pointless collectibles, and so far, the only changes are in the layers, not the core. I wanna see an improved core. I wanna see something like the classic ACs. ACIII was perfect except for it’s obviously rushed and badly directed ending, ACIV could’ve had a much better modern day if it was given enough time and now all I see is them chopping off parts of the games and making the stories less connected and more self-contained just to meet the deadline.

I agree
I also love the games mostly for the story (MD and historical) but even that is lacking and rushed lately
its sad that they will stick to their strategy and that the games will keep selling so much
I remember a time when I wanted the AC series to be more succesful and when I liked the annual releases ( because I actually like the Series very much) but
had I known that Ubi would milk the series like this..

Fatal-Feit
09-28-2014, 10:38 PM
I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU! THESE ANNUAL RELEASES NEED TO STOP!

☻/ This is Bob . Copy and paste him
/▌ all over the Ubiforums
/ \ so Ubisoft can hear our demands. REVOLUTION!

GOD DAMN IT! That made me burst out in laughter. :p

I almost choked on my sandwich.

---------------

OP - I agree with ceasing annualization for the franchise, but I disagree with your reasons.

RinoTheBouncer
09-28-2014, 10:40 PM
I agree
I also love the games mostly for the story (MD and historical) but even that is lacking and rushed lately
its sad that they will stick to their strategy and that the games will keep selling so much
I remember a time when I wanted the AC series to be more succesful and when I liked the annual releases ( because I actually like the Series very much) but
had I known that Ubi would milk the series like this..

Story of my life, bro.

I used to support the annual releases cause it felt like a T.V. series. Always ending on a high note, with a shocking cliffhanger that kept me wanting more, and now we’re not seeing any cliffhangers, I hope ACU and ACRo prove me wrong, but I’m worried. The First Civ. and Modern Day parts are my most favorites and I’m so hurt to see them get butchered that way without even a proper closure.

JustPlainQuirky
09-28-2014, 10:41 PM
I like annual releases because I'm impatient and greedy.

#troofax

Alphacos007
09-28-2014, 10:42 PM

#troofax

That is soooo me.

Journey93
09-28-2014, 10:43 PM

They are obviously lying sure they had some ideas back then but the real development didn't began (like you said) after or during ACIII
anything else is just silly

Journey93
09-28-2014, 10:44 PM

#troofax

I was too but now in hindsight it was just very silly of me
good and innovative games take their time I realize that now too late I guess
Ubisoft is also like you impatient and greedy

Journey93
09-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Story of my life, bro.

I used to support the annual releases cause it felt like a T.V. series. Always ending on a high note, with a shocking cliffhanger that kept me wanting more, and now we’re not seeing any cliffhangers, I hope ACU and ACRo prove me wrong, but I’m worried. The First Civ. and Modern Day parts are my most favorites and I’m so hurt to see them get butchered that way without even a proper closure.

Yeah again I agree the first Civ. and MD parts held the different games together and like I said in a different post it gave the historical parts meaning
They were also very interesting but sadly because there is no end in sight for AC they basically dumped them (probably why they killed of Desmond)

PedroAntonio2
09-28-2014, 10:49 PM
The only problem with annual release is that sometimes the criticism around a feature in game doesn't come in time for the producers to remove that feature or to improve it in the next game. But I love all the AC games so far, the only one that felt rushed was ACIII, but that happened because of inner conflicts inside the producion team.

joelsantos24
09-28-2014, 10:52 PM
I was too but now in hindsight it was just very silly of me
good and innovative games take their time I realize that now too late I guess
Ubisoft is also like you impatient and greedy
But it's kind of meaningless or irrelevant, especially when AC games take about 2-3 years to be completed. They may be released annually, but if sequels start being made 1 or 2 years before their predecessors, there's no reason for them not to be innovative, right?

Dead1y-Derri
09-28-2014, 10:54 PM
But it's kind of meaningless or irrelevant, especially when AC games take about 2-3 years to be completed. They may be released annually, but if sequels start being made 1 or 2 years before their predecessors, there's no reason for them not to be innovative, right?

Exactly, everyone thinks that when they released AC3 they then worked on AC4 but AC4 had been in development well before AC3 was released and so on and so forth.

MakimotoJin
09-28-2014, 10:55 PM
I love AC because of the story.Altair,Ezio,and the Kenways were nice stories and,although they were annual releases,they were worth buying.If they keep with the "level" that it is,I wouldn't see a problem at annual release.

Journey93
09-28-2014, 11:00 PM

I don't really believe Ubisoft when they say stuff like Unity has been in development since Brotherhood I remember similiar comments when Black Flag was shown
thats just silly they are obviously exaggerating to create hype and assure people that they are taking their time

But if that would be true how do they explain the rushed AC3?, or the same mission design over and over again in Black Flag?
Like you said there wouldn't be any reason for them not to be innovative

joelsantos24
09-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Exactly, everyone thinks that when they released AC3 they then worked on AC4 but AC4 had been in development well before AC3 was released and so on and so forth.
Yeah, exactly. I honestly see no problem with the annual releases, as long as development begins 1 or 2 years before the predecessor game is released.

I don't really believe Ubisoft when they say stuff like Unity has been in development since Brotherhood I remember similiar comments when Black Flag was shown
thats just silly they are obviously exaggerating to create hype and assure people that they are taking their time

But if that would be true how do they explain the rushed AC3?, or the same mission design over and over again in Black Flag?
Good point.

One thing, though, just because it takes 2-3 years to develop a game, it doesn't mean it's going to be flawless. A game may look rushed or may present redundancies, but that's not necessarily a by-product of short or rushed development periods.

Fatal-Feit
09-28-2014, 11:06 PM

AC:3's production team was a mess, that's why.

AC:IV's mission designs had nothing to do with lack of time.

VitoAuditore
09-28-2014, 11:07 PM
1 year waiting is long enough for me, I need my ac fix >.<... while I must admit that not every ac game was as good as the other, it still is THE game that I wait for all year.

Alphacos007
09-28-2014, 11:13 PM
1 year waiting is long enough for me, I need my ac fix >.<... while I must admit that not every ac game was as good as the other, it still is THE game that I wait for all year.

Another guy just like me.

HiddenKiller612
09-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Imagine if Ubi opened or bought like 10-15 more studios......

HDinHB
09-28-2014, 11:19 PM
There is no objective evidence that going to biennial releases--or even less frequent--would improve the quality of the game. If Ubi spent twice as much time, they would likely only have half as many people working on it. Waiting an extra year of two between games might make you feel like it's better, but that doesn't mean it is. I don't believe Ubi would spend more money to make less frequent games.

I do think Ubi is overdoing it, releasing Unity and Rogue at the same time, plus Shao Jun, Liberation, and Freedom Cry all in about a year. That may satiate even my ravenous AC appetite.

HiddenKiller612
09-28-2014, 11:20 PM
There is no objective evidence that going to biennial releases--or even less frequent--would improve the quality of the game. If Ubi spent twice as much time, they would likely only have half as many people working on it. Waiting an extra year of two between games might make you feel likes it's better, but that doesn't mean it is. I don't believe Ubi would spend more money to make less frequent games.

I do think Ubi is overdoing it, releasing Unity and Rogue at the same time, plus Shao Jun, Liberation, and Freedom Cry all in about a year. That may satiate even my ravenous AC appetite.
I've played Freedom Cry, Liberation, and Black Flag... all within a span of a few months of eachother... and I'm ready for MOAR.

HDinHB
09-28-2014, 11:25 PM
I've played Freedom Cry, Liberation, and Black Flag... all within a span of a few months of eachother... and I'm ready for MOAR.

Glutton! :p (me too)

RinoTheBouncer
09-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Just so we’re clear. Although I do support the non-annual releases idea, but at the same time, I am happy that we get games every year. I’m always hungry for more. I’ve always support the annual releases idea, it’s just that lately, I began to understand the its side effects on the quality of the games.

Alphacos007
09-29-2014, 12:55 AM
Just so we’re clear. Although I do support the non-annual releases idea, but at the same time, I am happy that we get games every year. I’m always hungry for more. I’ve always support the annual releases idea, it’s just that lately, I began to understand the its side effects on the quality of the games.

You just described me. I do think that taking a break from anual releases would be good, but in the other hand I would buy a new AC game every month if they released them that often lol.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-29-2014, 01:13 AM
I don't mind the annual releases as long as the game/content/story line doesnt bore me.. and so far, it hasn't.

ACRules2
09-29-2014, 04:28 AM
That's me too... I seem to be rather insatiable when it comes to getting Assassin's Creed...

AherasSTRG
09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
How people think they actually have a say in the design proccess of a piece of software, while not being developers themselves is beyond me.

I can freely judge a garden's aesthetic, but I 'd never criticize a garderner's way of pruning.

I can freely judge the next Game of Thrones book, but I 'd never criticize how long it took Martin to write it.

I can freely criticize a movie, but I 'd never criticize the time needed to film it.

I can freely criticize the result of the developement proccess, but I 'd never criticize the developement progress itself. Because I lack the necessary knowledge to do so. I am not a gardener, a writer, a film producer. I do not know how the above occupations play out and work.

Our personal experience tells us that, when we occupy ourselves with creating something, the more time we spend on it, the better it ends up being. However, the production proccess is very different from the experiences we have in our everyday lives. Time is one factor. But there literally are dozens more to take into account when a company decides about the developement of a product.

Listing the "disadvantages" of the annualisation of a franchise just goes to show how oblivious the community is to how a game is developed.

I don't pretend to be a know-all. On the contrary, I embrace my ignorance and devote myself on criticizing the actual thing that matters to me as a costumer, the quality of the final product. I am not gonna dictate Ubisoft what they should do. If they believe they can pull it off once a year, let them try. I will be here, in these forums, shouting and whinning about the game, and not about their decisions.

Or, at least, that's just my opinion...

Farlander1991
09-29-2014, 09:43 AM
To the people who don't believe about Unity being in development since Brotherhood, and to those who don't consider the so called 'idea discussion' a part of development.

Game development has two main stages: pre-production and production. Both are incredibly important.
Pre-production is what you might call 'idea discussion'. Yes, it's the concept stage where people figure out what they're going to do exactly. But it's also the stage where people figure out HOW they're going to do it, what they're going to need, the stage where the main technologies are developed, where prototypes for all the core mechanics appear (which, in turn, also help to be a proof of concept for the technology), how resources are going to be divided and at what stages. It's incredibly important and while it's not a fully-staffed production you don't need 1000s of people, but the core team (basically, leads and seniors) still spend a considerable amount of time on things.

Pre-production is incredibly important. Nothing ever goes as planned, that's the nature of game development, but the better pre-production is, the less messy production will be. It can make or break a project, essentially. To dismiss it as development time because it's not a stage where the city is fully designed or when missions are scripted and put in motion, and using this period of time to say that 'developers exaggerate' or something like that, is a disservice to everybody who works on the project during that period of time.

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
If it was up to me I think every two years would be great. I think there are some issues that are associated with annual releases.

First off some gameplay systems are not improved enough between iterations, even though they are in dire need of it. For example the combat in AC4 was clearly <1 year improvement of AC3. That harmed AC4, because the combat was startring to feel stale allready in AC3 and doing the same simple inputs was just a drag. A pirategame needs a better combat as it naturally is core to the experience (boarding). With Unity coming up, with its presumably rebooted combat, it was probably not even Montreal's best combat devs working on improvements for AC4.

Secondly I think the sidecontent quality is harmed by the yearly releases. It's impressive the amount of stuff Ubi is able to put out once a year. However a lot of it does lack personality and feels copy-pasted. There's a fairly massive difference in this area between GTA V and AC4. In GTA V there's a lot more narrative and personality for/to the various side content.

Third the Modern Day collapse probably has a lot to do with not being able to keep up with the yearly releases.

Fourth it makes it impossible to delay the games when needed. You know what FarCry 3, GTA V, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight all have in common? They have been delayed. Unexpected things happen in development and not being allowed to delay the games a few months when needed must be heartbreaking for the developers investing years into the projects (I know Unity was release a couple of weeks, but that's a tiny delay). AC3 was clearly not finished. Let's hope Unity will be!

Shahkulu101
09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Really? You look at GTAV when it comes to side content?

I can't think of a game with more boring side missions, really...

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Really? You look at GTAV when it comes to side content?

I can't think of a game with more boring side missions, really...

I agree to some extent. But so much more of the sidecontent has been handcrafted in GTA V. There are full cutscenes with good writing and unique gameplay setups.

Contrast the strangers and freaks in GTA V with the assassination contracts in AC4.

Shahkulu101
09-29-2014, 10:24 AM
I agree to some extent. But so much more of the sidecontent has been handcrafted in GTA V. There are full cutscenes with good writing and unique gameplay setups.

Contrast the strangers and freaks in GTA V with the assassination contracts in AC4.

Yeah I see what you mean with the Strangers and Freaks, but cutscenes and whimsical writing don't make for good gameplay. I'd rather play an ACIV contract to be honest, but they do get quite monotonous. The problem with ubi games is that the foundation and the mechanics are always solid but the game itself lacks heart. I find myself stating at the mini map, going from objective to objective, rather than getting lost in the world. I think Unity's side content is more about player discovery which is a good sign - for instance we have seamless interiors filled with secrets and such, but even that could get repetitive if all the interiors are filled other the same stuff...

Sushiglutton
09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Yeah I see what you mean with the Strangers and Freaks, but cutscenes and whimsical writing don't make for good gameplay. I'd rather play an ACIV contract to be honest, but they do get quite monotonous. The problem with ubi games is that the foundation and the mechanics are always solid but the game itself lacks heart. I find myself stating at the mini map, going from objective to objective, rather than getting lost in the world. I think Unity's side content is more about player discovery which is a good sign - for instance we have seamless interiors filled with secrets and such, but even that could get repetitive if all the interiors are filled other the same stuff...

Agree that the core stealth gameplay in AC4 is more enjoyable than anything GTA V. Was more talking about the structure/uniqueness of the sidecontent.

I def think one issue is that Ubi flags the content too hard. Revealing everything by syncing viewpoints makes it just like you describes. You run around like a cleaner, trying to rid the mini-map from icons. The goal should be to make the player feel like an assassin, not a cleaner! They need to let you discover more things on your own. For Unity they have said some content can be found by reading the newspapers, so they are at least taking some steps in that direction.

Hopefully stuff like chests and collectibles won't be marked on the map at all anymore.

rob.davies2014
09-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Whilst I do love the franchise and I also enjoy the games, I do feel as if my excitement for them and enjoyment of them is dwindling each year.
I think they need to take a break soon, even if they are maintaining the quality they want to maintain (debatable), it would still be a good idea to make sure we don't get tired of the franchise.

MakimotoJin
09-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Well one thing I loved about GTA V is that most of the stuff that happens in the game(while free roaming) never appears in the map.It's simply showed in the mini-map when you get close,so you never expect it.I think Ubisoft should do that with their games,things that you wouldn't know it was there.Sure,it took like,6 years to make GTA V?But it was worth it.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
The annual releases should NEVER stop!!!!!

Mr_Shade
09-29-2014, 05:49 PM
They make this and I will be happy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnk15Wf6xMU

Locopells
09-29-2014, 07:03 PM
They do and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw0sY_eCIVs&amp;list=UUyxeJPMVA4ReKETt05TC44A

pacmanate
09-29-2014, 07:11 PM
They make this and I will be happy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnk15Wf6xMU

Your marketing team just needs to market your games with kittens. 3 days and it got 3 million views, Official trailers don't even reach that by the time the games come out normally.

Every AC game from now on needs cute things, like kittens, puppies etc. Then just slap the pre order video on at the end.

Mr_Shade
09-29-2014, 07:13 PM
It's been suggested ;)

LOL

Hans684
09-29-2014, 07:16 PM
It's been suggested ;)

LOL

I actually agree, get the marketing team(s) and Gabe to look at viral AC videos and parody's with millions of views.

Kakuzu745
09-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes, I would also prefer the yearly releases to stop in order to have more quality and to be honest to "leave you wanting more" for more time.

It won't happen anyway.