PDA

View Full Version : TV shows that contain the feel of Unity

topeira1980
09-27-2014, 09:25 AM
as before any game im really eager to play i like watching movies and TV shows that share the atmosphere and\or settings of the game.

What movies and TV shows do you think are related to AC:U?

i guess "the musketeers" (2014) TV show and "the three musketeers" (2011) are a good match. i havent seen the TV show but i intent to soon.
maybe even the da vinci demons since it shares the time settings, action and it's still in Europe...

i remember trying to watch the latest version of "les miserables" but i couldnt stand the awful forced singing and i stopped half way through...

can YOU think of TV shows or movies? im sure there are more than what I can think of...

rrebe
09-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Well there's the Marie Antoinette film from few years ago that takes place arount the time of the revolution I think (haven't actually seen it so can't say if it fits the atmosphere you're looking for).

D.I.D.
09-27-2014, 11:37 AM
"Sade", directed by Benoît Jacquot, is set during the Reign of Terror. It's about the Marquis de Sade's incarceration, so as you'd expect there's a lot about him and his ideas about sex and conceptual freedom but not so much about the French Revolution or the wider conflict. It will tell you a certain amount about the times, but you are going to see an awful lot of the inside of single rooms. Good film, though.

There's a film that's set a good few decades before the Revolution, but as far as "feel" goes it might interest you: "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer". It's based on the Patrick Süskind novel "Das Parfum", which was deemed unfilmable, and I should warn you that this film really divided people: a "love it or hate it" thing. Although it's very strong on its depiction of Paris in that period, it's trying to make a point about obsession, damnation, and the search for redemption.

You might just prefer to switch off your brain and watch a deliberately silly popcorn flick, in which case "Brotherhood of the Wolf" is good fun. If you're thinking, "That sounds like werewolves", you got it in one. There's also martial arts. And an Iroquois Native American hunter. It's based on the legends of the Beast of Gévaudan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan). While the premise is obviously silly, it's not a spoof, and they clearly cared about what they were doing when they made this film. There are brief sections set in the Revolution itself, but it's mostly set in the years leading up to it.

VestigialLlama4
09-27-2014, 01:51 PM
In terms of films about the Revolution:

- ''La Marseillaise'' (1938) directed by Jean Renoir, France's greatest film-maker.
It's out on DVD with an introduction by Martin Scorsese, who called it "one of the greatest historical films". It's actually pretty awesome in terms of battle scenes, it also shows how France's national anthem became the national anthem. It's pretty accurate historically, 70% of the dialogue comes from actual records and minutes from the 1790s and it has costumes by Coco Chanel.

- Then ''Marat/Sade'' by Peter Brook
Not really accurate or really historical but in terms of what the revolution is ''about'' and where it succeeded and failed its pretty informative. Also the songs are awesome.

- "Danton" by Andrej Wajda
This film is actually pretty inaccurate as history and features a portrayal of Robespierre as a kind of proto-Stalin (removing people from paintings and portraits-That Never Happened) and removes all of Danton's negative traits (he really was corrupt and lined his pockets during the revolution), it has more do with 80s era Cold War malaise than the actual Revolution. It does however capture some of the tensions and tragedy of the relationships and compromises and the whole thing slowly going out of control.

- ''The Lady and the Duke'' by Eric Rohmer.
Made in 2001-2002, slightly obscure but really beautiful. It uses digital paintings instead of sets and shows you how Paris in the 1790s really was like. It doesn't show too many historical events but it does offer a behind the scenes look and shows you what it was like to live in France at the time, the sudden changes in everything. Also historically accurate, most of the dialogue comes from memoirs.

- "Farewell, My Queen" by Benoit Jacquot.
The previous poster mentioned Sade, but this film actually shows you the Revolution totally changing the Royal Family in the first three days after the Bastille felt. Diane Kruger is gorgeous as Marie Antoinette and the film is better than Sofia Coppola's in that it makes the Queen sympathetic without dialing down her immense flaws.

I-Like-Pie45
09-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom

VestigialLlama4
09-27-2014, 03:51 PM
That movie is about Fascism and the Holocaust, and the 20th Century.

Besides the book by DeSade was written in the Bastille in the 1780s before the Revolution.

D.I.D.
09-27-2014, 03:52 PM
There's a thing you need to learn about Pie.

The Pie is a lie.

HDinHB
09-28-2014, 02:14 AM
There are rumors that Pie doesn't even like Pie.

The musketeers takes place about 100 years before Unity. The BBC series will give you practice listening to the same authentic French accents as Unity, and it wasn't horrible. I'm not sure how much of a "feel" for revolutionary Paris it will give you, but there are swords and firearms and conspiracies. I can't recommend the 2011 movie. I do think the musketeer era would be a good one for AC (I'm certain Richeliu is a Templar Grand Master). The author's father, Alexandre Dumas, may make an appearance in Unity.

Da Vinci's Demons takes place 300 years before Unity; it would be more suited to AC2. The first episode was all I could watch. You'd be better off watchingTthe Borgias, but it might spoil some of AC2/B. I don't think it would really "set the mood" for Unity.

If you're up for some light reading, a Tale of Two Cities takes place around the French Revolution. You can get a kindle edition for free. There have been TV and movie adaptations, but none recently. Wikipedia says:

The novel depicts the plight of the French peasantry demoralised by the French aristocracy in the years leading up to the revolution, the corresponding brutality demonstrated by the revolutionaries toward the former aristocrats in the early years of the revolution, and many unflattering social parallels with life in London during the same time period. It follows the lives of several characters through these events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pO2DnAMzos

If that's a bit too long, there is a fine précis in this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uvLXCUhVg

ze_topazio
09-28-2014, 02:54 AM
I do think the musketeer era would be a good one for AC (I'm certain Richeliu is a Templar Grand Master).

I have suggested this countless times.

I-Like-Pie45
09-28-2014, 04:55 AM
The Pink Panther