PDA

View Full Version : Would you like a 'Nemesis System' in AC?

ACRules2
09-27-2014, 03:17 AM
After watching some Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Gameplay, I was just thinking how that could transition into Assassin's Creed, just with different mechanics (not branding Orcs).Maybe bribes, threats or something along those lines to effect the guards.
The only problem was 'death'... would you be resurrected by the Animus for the soldier's promotions to take effect?

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 03:19 AM
Yes and no.

It's a cool concept, but messes with the canon.

Animus is all about relieving accurate memories, and that completely goes against what the nemesis system is about.

Shahkulu101
09-27-2014, 03:22 AM
All the issues of the animus and the fact it messes up canon aside, I wouldn't like them to just rip off SoM. I have no doubt that the success of SoM will give Ubisoft a kick up the backside that they need. Well...they might not need it if Unity lives up to expectations. But yeah, would be bit cheap if they just had a carbon copy of the nemesis system. Although SoM is apparently not only similar in terms of parkour to Assassin's Creed, but the way you uncover the world is like AC as well.

D.I.D.
09-27-2014, 03:25 AM
It could work as long as it was only about fictional figures, such as the guards. The trouble is that the game would run the risk of you becoming more invested in your rivalry with the characters in the Nemesis system than with the historical targets, and thereby overshadowing the written portion of the game.

By the sound of the reviews, the strength of the Nemesis system is that the tougher enemies crop up again and again until you finally beat them, and that you're in something of a race to upgrade your stats as they upgrade theirs. It sounds great, but I don't think AC can take that!

Farlander1991
09-27-2014, 10:58 PM
What's with the 'messes with the canon' thing? Quite a lot of times systemic gameplay ideas get shut down here because 'Animus is about recreating exact memories'.

Yes, there are some things that are out of bounds for an Animus (like choosing your own widely different endings, for example), but Animus was never about exact representation of things. We wiggle our way from synchronization point to synchronization point (cutscenes) trying to fill in the blanks between them as we see fit (gameplay) to create an approximate total representation of chained events that's got both factual and uncertain information.

This is why when you approach the target you can either hidden blade it, start a direct fight, throw a bomb, poison, knives, whatever you see fit.
This is why we can complete missions out of order (related to side missions mostly).
This is why we can kill 1000s of guards in cold blood yet characters themselves can be more reserved regarding killing.
This is why Unity has its mod missions that changes the structure of the game and the adaptive mission mechanics that changes things depending on actions.

Because Animus is not 100% truth.

Sushiglutton
09-27-2014, 11:06 PM
It sounds very interesting, but I need to try it first. Perhaps AC can adopt some parts of the concept. Will play SoM at the end of October, then I'll know better ;)!

Fatal-Feit
09-27-2014, 11:14 PM
I agree with Farlander. This whole ''canon thing'' doesn't mean much, especially when it comes to outside of the story.

The whole nemesis system isn't too far off from what we've already had with the Brotherhood system pre-AC:IV and somewhat AC:3 when it comes to messing with memories/history. We can recruit randomly generated Assassins with their own names, faces, and gender, upgrade them, level them, and send them off on missions that can possibly fail.

ze_topazio
09-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Just because something is good in one game doesn't mean all games should have it too.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-28-2014, 12:37 AM
assassination missions are my favorite part in an AC game. I wouldn't mind if AC adopted it and made a Templar hierarchy with randomized assassination missions! OH YES

rickprog
09-28-2014, 03:27 AM
It's technically one of the Apple's abilities, isn't it? It controls people's minds through neurotransmitters. It could be developed further, but the thing already exists, pretty much.

LieutenantRex
09-28-2014, 03:32 AM
Would you like a first-person mode in AC?

Oh wait.

JustPlainQuirky
09-28-2014, 03:45 AM
I swear to god Lieutenant we need to get married STAT.

Kakuzu745
09-28-2014, 03:57 AM
Actually it could be incorporated well in the assassination mission when you send your brotherhood. However, I do not want AC to instantly copy everything that seems cool and become a big collage of stuff from different games.

Fatal-Feit
09-28-2014, 07:13 AM
assassination missions are my favorite part in an AC game. I wouldn't mind if AC adopted it and made a Templar hierarchy with randomized assassination missions! OH YES

I'm too stupid to understand what you're saying, truth be told, but you said Templar. A Templar game with the Nemesis System? Brilliant.

It's technically one of the Apple's abilities, isn't it? It controls people's minds through neurotransmitters. It could be developed further, but the thing already exists, pretty much.

The Apple or another First Civ artifact is a perfect excuse to incorporate this system.

--------------------------------------

Templar Game = Rogue

Nemesis System = Apple

Rogue + Apple = TTOKW

TTOKW = DLC

A TTOKW-like DLC with the Nemesis Sytem for Rogue(?) ;.;

Make it happen, Ubisoft.

cawatrooper9
10-05-2014, 12:54 AM
I think that for the most part a "Nemesis System" in AC wouldn't be very effective. Our hero would look like a bumbling idiot if his targets kept getting away time and time again. Also, after having spent some time playing LOTR: Shadow Of Mordor, (which I really like, by the way), I have one huge complaint with the nemesis idea: it lacks real concrete closure. When your enemy might survive each encounter, it's kind of anti-climactic when they actually do die- to the point in which you actually kind of mourn their death a little, like an old friend.

That being said, I think Ubisoft missed the train a bit by not including a nemesis-style system just this one time in Rogue. I feel that it would have fit well with the idea that the Assassins are kind of like the apex predator, yet are being hunted by Shay. Also, as many have pointed out, it's may be a bit emotional having to kill members of a brotherhood that we've been fighting alongside for the better part of 7 games now (8 with Unity). So, having a nemesis-like system give the Assassins even more personality and intimacy to the player may have been a good move and a missed opportunity.

JustPlainQuirky
10-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Thinking it over,

if there's a way to include it without making it go against the concept of the animus, then by all means include it.

AI needs work anyway.

TheArcaneEagle
10-05-2014, 04:41 PM
I think that for the most part a "Nemesis System" in AC wouldn't be very effective. Our hero would look like a bumbling idiot if his targets kept getting away time and time again. Also, after having spent some time playing LOTR: Shadow Of Mordor, (which I really like, by the way), I have one huge complaint with the nemesis idea: it lacks real concrete closure. When your enemy might survive each encounter, it's kind of anti-climactic when they actually do die- to the point in which you actually kind of mourn their death a little, like an old friend.

That being said, I think Ubisoft missed the train a bit by not including a nemesis-style system just this one time in Rogue. I feel that it would have fit well with the idea that the Assassins are kind of like the apex predator, yet are being hunted by Shay. Also, as many have pointed out, it's may be a bit emotional having to kill members of a brotherhood that we've been fighting alongside for the better part of 7 games now (8 with Unity). So, having a nemesis-like system give the Assassins even more personality and intimacy to the player may have been a good move and a missed opportunity.

This, I agree with.