PDA

View Full Version : Lorenz attractor?

GeorgeLazu
09-26-2014, 11:33 PM
As many of you might have noticed, you will find on the latest Unity trailer, in the background, one of subject 16's glypths: the Lorenz attractor.

The Lorenz attractor is an equation system that has chaotic solutions [wiki] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_system) and is part of the chaos theory [doesn't really have anything to do with the storyline].

What does this mean? 16 coming back? Just a coincidence? More animus mystery? [i love those, clay kaczmarek was my favorite character]

Edit: What's really weird is the fact that the glypth does not seem to be part of the scene textures, nor a light or somthing like that. It looks like white marker.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10629806_556219157812750_8849848484780929778_n.jpg ?oh=7b03c154447783627d019b191335fb49&oe=54C23834&__gda__=1421762280_e6313bbffe6a48680068efa9ce8f409 4

PedroAntonio2
09-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Glyphs were one of the best things in the franchise, I don't understand why they cut this off in the next games after AC Brotherhood. I remember Alex Hutchinson saying back before AC3 release that the game would feature Glyphs, but it was cut from the final version perphaps. If they bring this back in Unity, I would be satisfied, the Glyphs made me love ACII even more.

Megas_Doux
09-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Glyphs were one of the best things in the franchise, I don't understand why they cut this off in the next games after AC Brotherhood. I remember Alex Hutchinson saying back before AC3 release that the game would feature Glyphs, but it was cut from the final version perphaps. If they bring this back in Unity, I would be satisfied, the Glyphs made me love ACII even more.

They most likely ran out of ideas.......

Alphacos007
09-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Wow how come I did not notice that when watching the trailer.
Honestly, what got the hooked in the series was all the mistery on the narrative, back in AC1, not the gameplay itself. I still loved the last games, with a special tone on AC4 because of the pirate theme, but holy mother of God, if they bring back all the mistery, gliphs and conspiracy-like story like we had untill AC Revelations, Unity might become my new favorite game, over AC2. This last trailer really got me hyped for the game release. I just hope it's not a disappointment like AC3 was for me.

SixKeys
09-27-2014, 12:16 AM
They most likely ran out of ideas.......

Doubt it. The real reason (as confirmed by devs) is that not enough players bothered with the glyphs, so devs decided to direct resources to other content. Which is kind of understandable, but also a crying shame. I still think the glyphs were some of the best side content AC ever produced.

Megas_Doux
09-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Doubt it. The real reason (as confirmed by devs) is that not enough players bothered with the glyphs, so devs decided to direct resources to other content. Which is kind of understandable, but also a crying shame. I still think the glyphs were some of the best side content AC ever produced.

I did not know that, a shame indeed.

HDinHB
09-27-2014, 12:48 AM

Content like tower defense, the homestead crafting and trading missions I suppose.

Bsck to the glyph, there was a symbol of Mercury in an earlier trailer (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/909785-Assassin%E2%80%99s-Creed-Unity-GamesCom-2014-Commented-Solo-Demo?p=10168159&viewfull=1#post10168159). It had some interesting properties--you could see it through pillars, but even eagle vision couldn't see through it. I wonder if this symbol is related to that one.

hakanorhan
09-27-2014, 01:06 AM
So, I just saw the new trailer for ACU today and I noticed that at the 0:37 second mark of the video, when Arno turns his head you can see subject 16's wall scribbling out of focus that you will probably recognize if you've played the first two AC games. Two glowing interconnected ovals. Definitely the same imagery.

Does this mean the character of subject 16 will make some sort of return? Or maybe we will be seeing some form of hallucinations again like Desmond did from the bleeding effect. Post theories below.

Link to new trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQEocdLSgZ8

Subject 16's wall scribbling from AC1 in case you forgot
http://nikkipruitt182.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/abs_room1.png

Xstantin
09-27-2014, 01:29 AM
You can also spot the Venus mirror in the Sivert demo.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 01:30 AM
it's there to remind us of neglected subplots.

PedroAntonio2
09-27-2014, 01:39 AM
That's the problem with Ubisoft, they bother too much with people who don't even pay attention to the storyline or are too lazy to even solve those puzzles themselves. Instead of making a better game, with great content, they focus in satysfing these people...this is why we don't have Glyphs, we have a almost non-existant modern-day storylne, easy combat and so go on.

Glyhps were so fantastic, I remember I called my friend to help me with some of them and it was mindblowing to see how the Templars spread their control around the globe.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 01:41 AM
we have an almost non-existent modern-day

sad truth.

friggin cyberspace replacin' modern day

SixKeys
09-27-2014, 01:44 AM
That's the problem with Ubisoft, they bother too much with people who don't even pay attention to the storyline or are too lazy to even solve those puzzles themselves. Instead of making a better game, with great content, they focus in satysfing these people...this is why we don't have Glyphs, we have a almost non-existant modern-day storylne, easy combat and so go on.

Glyhps were so fantastic, I remember I called my friend to help me with some of them and it was mindblowing to see how the Templars spread their control around the globe.

It makes perfect sense to remove unpopular features. The really invested fans loved the glyphs, but those who only played AC for the main campaign and didn't care about solving Fibonacci codes skipped them. Why would you keep something in the games if you had data proving that only 10% (or whatever the numbers are) of players bothered with it?

I personally hope the glyphs will return someday, but I will understand if they don't.

PedroAntonio2
09-27-2014, 02:01 AM
Well, at least give us some form of puzzle to work with. They talked some months ago about puzzles inside our Database, somethinh like giving clues about a certain location part of a Nostradamus puzzle.

I think those Glyphs symbols appearing around Unity are underground tunnels. I remember seeing one in Gamescom Demo where Arno activate a tunnel inside Notre Dame so he can escape. Probably this Lorenz attractor symbol inside the prison indicates a underground tunnel where Arno and this other guy will escape.

RA503
09-27-2014, 02:54 AM
this simbol is chaos,I think that in the series its simbolize the various alternate timelines that can bee seen by first civilization.

is a hint that the Antikythera mechanism is in the game ? the machine that first civilization used to see the future and is what make clay become mad ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Simon_Laplace

Laplace is a cientist that lives in unity's time, he had the theories of probability, that says that the universe had a numeral pattern that can be used to see the future,if he receives that knowledge from first civilization ?

naumaan
09-27-2014, 06:38 AM
So, I just saw the new trailer for ACU today and I noticed that at the 0:37 second mark of the video, when Arno turns his head you can see subject 16's wall scribbling out of focus that you will probably recognize if you've played the first two AC games. Two glowing interconnected ovals. Definitely the same imagery.

Does this mean the character of subject 16 will make some sort of return? Or maybe we will be seeing some form of hallucinations again like Desmond did from the bleeding effect. Post theories below.

Link to new trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQEocdLSgZ8

Subject 16's wall scribbling from AC1 in case you forgot
http://nikkipruitt182.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/abs_room1.png

i saw that too ..

naumaan
09-27-2014, 07:28 AM
glyphs were the most hardest part of the game, i had to take a lot of help to solve them tho but they were interesting .. if they are introducing them .. i m totally in ..

i think its about rifts .. arno can check out the memories of his ancestors .. like desmond could ..

GeorgeLazu
09-27-2014, 10:47 AM
this simbol is chaos,I think that in the series its simbolize the various alternate timelines that can bee seen by first civilization.

is a hint that the Antikythera mechanism is in the game ? the machine that first civilization used to see the future and is what make clay become mad ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Simon_Laplace

Laplace is a cientist that lives in unity's time, he had the theories of probability, that says that the universe had a numeral pattern that can be used to see the future,if he receives that knowledge from first civilization ?

That is not excluded, but that's not the reason clay became mad. Vidic forced him to stay too many days in a row, and back then the animus was not optimized for this kind of cognitive stress [you will see that in AC3 rebecca says she did something to the animus, and desmond can stay in even longer with no consequences]. Clay's ancestors [far more than desmond's. Remember, Clay visited a ****load of people, including Adam [as in Adam and Eve]. And all those personalities mashed togheter, as he tells Desmond in the beggining of ACR

Reptilis91
09-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Content like tower defense, the homestead crafting and trading missions I suppose.

Bsck to the glyph, there was a symbol of Mars in an earlier trailer (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/909785-Assassin%E2%80%99s-Creed-Unity-GamesCom-2014-Commented-Solo-Demo?p=10168159&viewfull=1#post10168159). It had some interesting properties--you could see it through pillars, but even eagle vision couldn't see through it. I wonder if this symbol is related to that one.

Actually it's the symbol of Mercury.

Sushiglutton
09-27-2014, 11:43 AM
One thing I thought is interesting is that Arno appears to be on some sort of cell. In AC1 the symbol also appeared in a cell, namely Desmond's.

Seems like Arno has angered someone (his scar looks fresh) and so they have imprisoned him. And then he is recruited to the assassin cause?

dxsxhxcx
09-27-2014, 01:38 PM
there isn't really a point for them to return with the modern days becoming as meaningless as it is..

their objective was give an insight to the player about the Assassin vs Templar war on a global scale (something that IMO we don't need anymore) and hid S16 messages that in the end didn't serve any bigger purpose...

Reptilis91
09-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah, it follows the same pattern as AC4, but don't worry there will be one or two good surprises, in the gameplay/content. Those who didn't like the modern day in AC4 will prefer ACU's, but still, don't expect too much.

Now, ACInitiates is the modern day, deal with it.:(

Nihilog
09-27-2014, 02:17 PM
I heard that it was the work of Jeffrey Yohalem (AC2 & ACB). Then he worked on Far Cry 3 and Child of Light.
And I really doubt that's a lot of time developing.

dxsxhxcx
09-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Now, ACInitiates is the modern day, deal with it.:(

I'll deal with it when they completely remove it from the game because I prefer to have nothing at all than this half assed attempt they've been calling modern days since AC4.

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 03:50 PM
I believe this is what will be the modern day of AC:U. We find glyphs like these and then we check em out and enter an Animus partition and perform some tasks.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Now, ACInitiates is the modern day, deal with it :(

Dont speak such cruel words in this household!

believe this is what will be the modern day of AC:U. We find glyphs like these and then we check em out and enter an Animus partition and perform some tasks.

I say the modern day has been dropped in favor of cyberspace

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Dont speak such cruel words in this household!

I say the modern day has been dropped in favor of cyberspace

I’m almost certain that there won’t be snooping around, out of the Animus, but and I agree. What I’m saying is that all modern day-like missions could be something inside the Animus, like puzzles or emails or hacks like these.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 04:00 PM
I’m almost certain that there won’t be snooping around, out of the Animus, but and I agree. What I’m saying is that all modern day-like missions could be something inside the Animus, like puzzles or emails or hacks like these.

I'm almost certain we won't leave the animus.

and if it's in the animus, it may be modern day-esque, but it ain't modern day. not to me. it's cyberspace.

it may give the same 'feel' but it's not the same to me. I wanna see the outside world

Reptilis91
09-27-2014, 04:33 PM
No no, don't worry we gonna leave the Animus. In terms of missions, it will be a bit like AC3. The thing is, now it seems that the main interest of the modern day is to offer side content.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 04:43 PM
No no, don't worry we gonna leave the Animus.

rumors suggested the animus is our console and the 'modern day' is our living room.

how would we "leave the animus" if that was the case?

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm almost certain we won't leave the animus.

and if it's in the animus, it may be modern day-esque, but it ain't modern day. not to me. it's cyberspace.

it may give the same 'feel' but it's not the same to me. I wanna see the outside world

I agree, totally. No matter how modern it looks, it ain’t modern day unless we’re out of the Animus. I adore AC:R and The Lost Archive, but those were much more well done than what we have now.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I agree, totally. No matter how modern it looks, it ain’t modern day unless we’re out of the Animus.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/high%20five/grand/high-five-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-692.gif

Darbs said for us two to "keep an open mind" on the modern day.

I totally am.

But I don't see it anywhere. All I see so far is cyberspace. No gameplay shown whatsoever of us being outside the animus.

And if the Modern Day IS my living room...well... that's a **** modern day.

Kakuzu745
09-27-2014, 04:49 PM
rumors suggested the animus is our console and the 'modern day' is our living room.

Turn off your console, go buy yourself a Red Bull and enjoy what the world has to offer!

Reptilis91
09-27-2014, 04:55 PM

And other rumors, much less known, suggest we still have an avatar so we can leave the animus. How should I say... below Paris the catacombs are still there. But today, there is another thing... you know, to get from one point to another... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 04:57 PM
And other rumors, much less known, suggest we still have an avatar so we can leave the animus. How should I say... below Paris the catacombs are still there. But today, there is another thing... you know, to get from one point to another... :rolleyes:

can you PM me source on these rumors? and what you mean by avatar? I don't understand.

but if that's the case, that is GREAT news.

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 04:58 PM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/high five/grand/high-five-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-692.gif

Darbs said for us two to "keep an open mind" on the modern day.

I totally am.

But I don't see it anywhere. All I see so far is cyberspace. No gameplay shown whatsoever of us being outside the animus.

And if the Modern Day IS my living room...well... that's a **** modern day.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/high five/grand/high-five-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-692.gif

If it’s just my living room, then I really hope the game gets bad reviews for that so that the next one will have a proper in-game modern day. My house isn’t an interesting place like Abstergo Industries or Abstergo Entertainment, and neither is the “rift” leaked gameplay that looked like terrible.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 05:00 PM

If it’s just my living room, then I really hope the game gets bad reviews for that so that the next one will have a proper in-game modern day. My house isn’t an interesting place like Abstergo Industries or Abstergo Entertainment, and neither is the “rift” leaked gameplay that looked like terrible.

Word.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/Hotsause9999/Random%20Gifs/ColbertGangsta.gif

Shahkulu101
09-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I smell entitlement.

Lots and lots of entitlement.

Coming from Mayrice.

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 05:12 PM
I smell entitlement.

Lots and lots of entitlement.

Coming from Mayrice.

Wanting Modern Day to not be dropped is entitlement.

Okay.

Shahkulu101
09-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Wanting Modern Day to not be dropped is entitlement.

Okay.

You expect a Desmond 2.0.

Nein Nein Nein!

Oh and I'm being a jerk because I haven't slept in 24 hours so deal with it. :cool:

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Word.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/Hotsause9999/Random Gifs/ColbertGangsta.gif

Thanks!
I’m just hoping that the next game will definitely bring a better modern day experience. I don’t think a website and some cyberspace adventures can replace an actual third person gameplay, or even the FPS we got in ACIV.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/d1680a89e20fe5c7ad3bd8fd5c44fc14/tumblr_n9bumqeEwq1stijiuo1_500.gif

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 05:17 PM
You expect a Desmond 2.0.

Nein Nein Nein!

Oh and I'm being a jerk because I haven't slept in 24 hours so deal with it. :cool:

No, not a desmond 2.0

I never said i have the right to a 3rd person action/adventure modern day. Or a right to anything.

Simply stating I would not like the Modern day replaced by cyberspace or have 'our living room' be a poor excuse of a "modern day"

and yeah I can tell.

Thanks!
I’m just hoping that the next game will definitely bring a better modern day experience. I don’t think a website and some cyberspace adventures can replace an actual third person gameplay, or even the FPS we got in ACIV.

IDC what the modern day is at this point.

just let it exist by letting us leave the animus

I swear Ubi's scheme is to make the modern day worse and worse in each installment to make previous instances of MD look good in retrospect.

Shahkulu101
09-27-2014, 05:20 PM
It only makes sense to drop it. Like 1% of people who play the games like it - not even exaggerating. And it's dying slowly, getting even worse than it was. A feat that looked impossible after ACR.

Axe MD and axe cheesy TWCB.

HECK AXE THE ENTIRE LORE AND REBOOT THE SERIES AS SELF-CONTAINED HISTORICAL STORIES!

JustPlainQuirky
09-27-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm fine with them dropping it as long as they finish the Juno saga first.

And if they want to drop it, outright say it instead of making a "living room" MD or having cyberspace and pretend it's MD when it's not.

TheHumanTowel
09-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Honestly the modern day is irreparably ****ed at this stage and it's in the series' interest to limit it's scope. The glyphs from AC2 were great so hopefully they come back but focusing on the historical and just having MD elements within that is better for the game. The modern day died when Abstergo's best defence against Desmond's assault on their headquarters were men with sticks.

Shahkulu101
09-27-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm fine with them dropping it as long as they finish the Juno saga first.

And if they want to drop it, outright say it instead of making a "living room" MD or having cyberspace and pretend it's MD when it's not.

Yes -- YES.

EUTHANIZE IT. LET IT DIE IN PEACE LIKE A SWISS GRANNY WITH CHRONIC BACK PAIN!

Reptilis91
09-27-2014, 05:26 PM
I just remembered a strange thing in the making-of. I don't now why. :rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/F8cWHGf.jpg

dxsxhxcx
09-27-2014, 05:27 PM
and neither is the “rift” leaked gameplay that looked like terrible.

Just watch it and... ugh, it's awful, it even makes den defense looks slightly better... :p

Kakuzu745
09-27-2014, 05:27 PM

If the game get bad reviews it will not be because of the MD...and seriously, if the game gets bad reviews I would prefer them to focus on improving the actual game than to invest that much time in MD.

dxsxhxcx
09-27-2014, 05:45 PM
HECK AXE THE ENTIRE LORE AND REBOOT THE SERIES AS SELF-CONTAINED HISTORICAL STORIES!

with the direction this is going IMO this seems to be the most reasonable course of action to take, reboot the franchise and remove the modern day sequences, they can keep the POEs and TWCB as long as they (TWCB: Minerva, Juno, etc) don't (directly) interfere in the story leaving messages to the ancestors. We don't need to interact with TWCB to know more about them, the POEs and the ruins of their temples are more than enough for that.

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 05:45 PM
To those saying the should "euthanize it”, I wonder what you’d do when your eyes hurt. Gouge them out? or treat them?

If the game get bad reviews it will not be because of the MD...and seriously, if the game gets bad reviews I would prefer them to focus on improving the actual game than to invest that much time in MD.

To me, Modern Day is a part of the games so not investing enough in it is the same as half-a*sing any other aspect of the games. I wouldn’t worry about the historical period, cause they’re always improving it and now Co-op is the way to go. I wonder what will happen with the next game.

Just watch it and... ugh, it's awful, it even makes den defense looks slightly better... :p

Definitely, my friend :P

IDC what the modern day is at this point.

just let it exist by letting us leave the animus

I swear Ubi's scheme is to make the modern day worse and worse in each installment to make previous instances of MD look good in retrospect.

I agree, totally. To be perfectly honest, everything we got so far is better than what we’re getting now.

Shahkulu101
09-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Oh the modern eye doesn't just have an eye infection mein Freund...

It is Hilary Swank with a broken neck.

Kakuzu745
09-27-2014, 06:05 PM
To those saying the should "euthanize it”, I wonder what you’d do when your eyes hurt. Gouge them out? or treat them?

Well, for most people that prefer to euthanize it MD is not like their eyes, it is more like their appendix...so if it not working, remove it, nothing will happen (I am not necessarily saying that is what I believe).

To me, Modern Day is a part of the games so not investing enough in it is the same as half-a*sing any other aspect of the games. I wouldn’t worry about the historical period, cause they’re always improving it and now Co-op is the way to go. I wonder what will happen with the next game.

I guess that is the difference. For me it is like a fun extra and I really would not give a bad review because of a fun extra nor would I invest that much time fixing it.

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Oh the modern eye doesn't just have an eye infection mein Freund...

It is Hilary Swank with a broken neck.

Let’s fix the spinal cord, mon ami. We can do it in the world of video games.

Well, for most people that prefer to euthanize it MD is not like their eyes, it is more like their appendix...so if it not working, remove it, nothing will happen (I am not necessarily saying that is what I believe).

I guess that is the difference. For me it is like a fun extra and I really would not give a bad review because of a fun extra nor would I invest that much time fixing it.

I know that each of us has their own reasons for liking MD, for me, I loved AC because it had MD and TWCB. I don’t really like historical settings much, but the reasons why we’re going to historical times and how things are connected with the present and TWCB are what made me dig AC in the first place, so it me it’s more like a kidney, an eye, one side of the brain, a lung..etc.

I care about the story of AC more than anything else in AC, that’s why every part of the story telling process is important to me. Ubisoft are trying to make it simpler in each game to ditch it when in reality, they can just make a better version of it. They’re trying to make it sound like an extra even when it wasn’t an extra.

GeorgeLazu
09-27-2014, 09:25 PM
If the game would be a console [just like in liberation], it would suck very much. Juno is still "adrift", and her plan to enslave human kind gone to ****, if they could at least wrap that up, that would be great. Also, it would be a huge thing [which will not happen just because] if we were to bring abstergo down, or at least try. Remember, Vidic was not the CEO of abstergo or something like that, he was in charge with the animus project. There are people higher in rank that rule Abstergo. Remember in ACIV when Olivier was talking with someone that pressured him to get info about that blood vial and the observator. That would be an interesting story. After all, the whole purpose of this game was modern day. If they didn't want any modern day, they should've placed the game in the assassin era with no animus at all. Since modern day exists and is a very important piece of the game, they cannot drop it.

Kakuzu745
09-28-2014, 04:35 AM
I know that each of us has their own reasons for liking MD, for me, I loved AC because it had MD and TWCB. I don’t really like historical settings much, but the reasons why we’re going to historical times and how things are connected with the present and TWCB are what made me dig AC in the first place, so it me it’s more like a kidney, an eye, one side of the brain, a lung..etc.

I care about the story of AC more than anything else in AC, that’s why every part of the story telling process is important to me. Ubisoft are trying to make it simpler in each game to ditch it when in reality, they can just make a better version of it. They’re trying to make it sound like an extra even when it wasn’t an extra.

Well to be completely honest in the end the MD content is no more than 10% of the game. I do also enjoy how it ties up everything but like most people I bought the game mostly because of the historical setup and truth is they could tie everything with the present with much simpler stuff than they have been doing. In my opinion Ubi tried to do too much with the MD and ended up destroying it.

I do not necessarily think they need to remove it but they definitely need to revamp it. In the end, however, I would think it is ridiculous if the game gets bad reviews because of it...reality is you cant have an AC game without the ancestor but you can easily have one without MD.

SixKeys
09-28-2014, 05:14 AM
It only makes sense to drop it. Like 1% of people who play the games like it - not even exaggerating. And it's dying slowly, getting even worse than it was. A feat that looked impossible after ACR.

Axe MD and axe cheesy TWCB.

And take out the Pieces of Eden? What would be the point then?

If the mystical stuff disappeared completely, I would immediately quit the series. Other studios could probably do better purely historical games, Ubi's unique narrative is what keeps me coming back.

RA503
09-28-2014, 05:29 AM
I think that the modern day, TWCB and the misteries is what make the series being unique, without those things what only left is a yearly cashgrab game with half interactivity of a GTA.

the modern day of black flag had more replay vallue tham the ones before them,even after hacking everything,walking through abstergo only to find some secrets in arctecture or dialogues that maybe reveal something is a good breath when I want some rest of edward's life,I think that the games don't need exactily a modern day like the past, but something that connects to the future,or present day,try to imagine a AC without that, how weak the premise will sound after everything we have...

Shahkulu101
09-28-2014, 05:30 AM
And take out the Pieces of Eden? What would be the point then?

If the mystical stuff disappeared completely, I would immediately quit the series. Other studios could probably do better purely historical games, Ubi's unique narrative is what keeps me coming back.

While it's cool in concept, the PoE and the TWCB just come off as pretentious and dilute the philosophical and character focused stories. Of course, the Templars and Assassin'n would still remain - they just wouldn't be hunting magical objects. ACIV would have been perfectly fine if Edward was just looking for the ultimate treasure rather than the observatory.

The only thing I like about the TWCB and PoE is the art. The Apple is really cool looking and the TWCB temples are wonderful to look at. And I personally come back for the historical cities, great characters and the best navigation system in gaming (IMO of course).

SixKeys
09-28-2014, 05:43 AM
While it's cool in concept, the PoE and the TWCB just come off as pretentious and dilute the philosophical and character focused stories. Of course, the Templars and Assassin'n would still remain - they just wouldn't be hunting magical objects. ACIV would have been perfectly fine if Edward was just looking for the ultimate treasure rather than the observatory.

I disagree. Some of the most philosophical discussions in AC1 came directly from discussing the Apple and its powers:

Al Mualim: You saw through the illusion.
Altaïr: Illusion?
Al Mualim: That's all it's ever done, this Templar treasure, this Piece of Eden, this word of God. Do you understand now? The Red Sea was never parted, water never turned to wine. It was not the machinations of Eris that spawned the Trojan War, but this! Illusions, all of them!
Altaïr: What you plan is no less an illusion. To force men to follow you against their will!
Al Mualim: Is it any less real than the phantoms the Saracens and Crusaders follow now? Those craven Gods, who retreat from this world that men might slaughter one another in their names? They live amongst an illusion already. I'm simply giving them another, one that demands less blood.

Altaïr: You held fire in your hand, old man. It should have been destroyed.
Al Mualim: Destroy the only thing capable of ending the Crusades and creating true peace? Never.
Altaïr: Then I will.
Al Mualim: We'll see about that.

Al Mualim: Destroy it! Destroy it as you said you would!
Altaïr: I... I can't...
Al Mualim: Yes, you can, Altaïr. But you won't.

Without the Apple, what would AC1's plot have been? Sure, the Templars vs. assassins feud would still have been there, but we would have missed out on Altaïr's final failing. After growing so much as a character, he still failed to resist the Apple's temptation. We also wouldn't have gotten all the interesting ideas about how the Crusades were based entirely on lies, on false gods that were merely illusions created by the Apple. The futility of war couldn't have been made clearer. Altaïr claimed the Crusaders "chose" these phantoms, but it was the Apple that created the phantoms they fought for in the first place.

Shahkulu101
09-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Ah that is a good point. It's just to me the supernatural elements just aren't my thing, I hated using the apple in ACB and I don't like how the rest of the series is grounded in reality yet here we have a magical golden apple capable of mind control and these Gods appearing like stories of visions from the bible.

Maybe it is a bit of a stretch to say they should remove the lore completely though, yeah. :rolleyes:

SixKeys
09-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Ah that is a good point. It's just to me the supernatural elements just aren't my thing, I hated using the apple in ACB and I don't like how the rest of the series is grounded in reality yet here we have a magical golden apple capable of mind control and these Gods appearing and like stories of visions from the bible.

Maybe it is a bit of a stretch to say they should remove the lore completely though, yeah. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Apple became too overpowered and kind of a deus ex machina later. In AC1 it was only capable of creating strong illusions (which frightened or persuaded people into obeying the wielder). Then later games turned it into a literal mind control device (security guard killing Vidic despite seeing no illusion), insta-kill weapon (guards' heads exploding), crystal ball capable of predicting the future and in ToKW, somehow capable of showing alternate realities that may or may not be possible. I liked it better when it had only one specific purpose, a rather innocent-sounding one but dangerous in the wrong hands. Kind of like the One Ring in LotR.

I also liked the hints in AC2 glyphs and paintings that we collected that coincidentally showed all these ancient gods with apples. Just a hint of sci-fi would have been better than that huge revelation at the end with Minerva. But back then AC was still assumed to be a trilogy and for a trilogy it would have been okay IMO. It's just that they then went overboard with the TWCB nonsense to justify stretching the story.

Shahkulu101
09-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Yep. And now we have Juno trying to find a 'host' and all manner of other nonsense.

RA503
09-28-2014, 06:12 AM
aaaah how I Iove the dialogues with al mualin in AC 1...

Those who came before is what make me became fan of the series in the first place, don't sounds so absurd compare to the fact that assassins and templar still active after the crusades...

Kakuzu745
09-28-2014, 03:12 PM
It's just that they then went overboard with the TWCB nonsense to justify stretching the story.

Exactly the reason why I am not a big fan of all the TWCB shenaningans right now.

pacmanate
09-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Yep. And now we have Juno trying to find a 'host' and all manner of other nonsense.

I still don't know how this makes sense. The Sage thing I can deal with but "hosting" one's body is a bit far fetched to me.

Shahkulu101
09-28-2014, 04:08 PM
I still don't know how this makes sense. The Sage thing I can deal with but "hosting" one's body is a bit far fetched to me.

I stopped trying to figure out how half the mystical stuff works a long time ago - I just roll my eyes at the convolution...

Altair1789
09-29-2014, 01:01 AM
This might not be that relevant but I think Arno's mentor is one of Desmond's ancestors and Altaïr's descendants

HDinHB
09-29-2014, 01:14 AM

No more far-fetched than demon possession or thought control.

This might not be that relevant but I think Arno's mentor is one of Desmond's ancestors and Altaïr's descendants

Depending on why you think that, it could be quite relevant.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-29-2014, 03:18 AM
Glyphs were some of the best things. Challenging, a nice departure from the rest of the game (as in puzzles as opposed to running and killing), immersed me more in the modern day segment without necessarily having to pull you from the Animus (though I enjoyed that as well)

If glyphs return in ACU... I'd be excited. That said... I have a feeling that the rift missions will be the replacement for them. They sound as though they fulfill a similar purpose with data and stuff but they don't seem as compelling. That said, I haven't played it so who knows?

Maybe there will be glyphs AND rifts. But I'm not expecting glyphs despite them being some of the coolest things in AC2 and ACB.