PDA

View Full Version : Shao Jun's Chinese edition translation

sleeplust
09-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Just want those story or character writers or designers to be informed:
The name Shao Jun is now spelled in modern Chinese Pinyin rules of system,so it should pronounced "shao joon",as the English spelling is.The correct Chinese characters should be "邵君".
While I see that in the Chinese version of the trailer movie for Unity displacing the wrongly chosen word "邵芸",which should be pronounced "shaoyoon" in the wrongly chosen Italian rule in Embers and seems not serious enough.Maybe that's from some Chinese cyber communities.You should know,most Chinese fans are not good at spelling languages and pronounciation systems and the wrong translation "邵芸" or "邵云" itself is incorrect.
As a Chinse speaker,I really think this issue is important and there should be less misunderstanding in trans-cultral details.
Shao Joon is the right pronounciation,don't get confused.
No more Connor discussion needed here,please.

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Some devs pronounce it Shao Yoon. That's how I pronounce it too.

But others pronounce it Shao Joon. Includin the creator Darbs.

Very confusing.

trainkun0908
09-26-2014, 07:02 PM
I think I am going to have to agree with OP on this.

Mayrice, initially it was Shao Yoon in Embers, but later in AC and in the ACU Season Pass trailer, it is Shao Joon.

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Why would they change it?

That's like Changing Al-tie-air to Al-tear

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 07:22 PM

Thats like asking why is "Ratonhnhaké ton" pronounced differently about 4 times in AC3.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Al-tear is actually closer to the proper pronunciation.

They also incorrectly spelled Ziio's name as Kaniehtí:io in AC3 subtitles because the actress used a different name than planned (pronounced "God-zeed-zio" - no idea about the proper spelling). So her name is canonically Kaniehtí:io even though in the game she gives a completely different name.

Ratohnhaké:ton also mispronounces his own name a few times, which I find amusing.

GunnerGalactico
09-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Well, I've always pronounced her name as "Shao Joon". I always thought that Sofia pronounced her name wrong in Embers.

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Ratohnhaké:ton also mispronounces his own name a few times, which I find amusing.

And in ToKW. There are too many mispronounciations of his name throughout AC3 and ToKW.

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Thats like asking why is "Ratonhnhaké ton" pronounced differently about 4 times in AC3.

Omigosh yeah that was super annoying in AC3

I just say rah-doon-ha-gay-doon

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Omigosh yeah that was super annoying in AC3

I just say rah-doon-ha-gay-doon

Rah-ton-ha-gay-doon
Rat-on-ha-gay-don
Rat-on-ha-gay-doon
Rah-doon-ha-gay-doon
Rah-toon-ha-gay-don
Rah-ton-han-ga-don (my personal favourite)

Okay I'm going crazy with these so I'm going to stop there. My brain just died.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 07:40 PM

That one bugs me so much. :nonchalance:

GunnerGalactico
09-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Rah-ton-ha-gay-doon
Rat-on-ha-gay-don
Rat-on-ha-gay-doon
Rah-doon-ha-gay-doon
Rah-toon-ha-gay-don

Okay I'm going crazy with these so I'm going to stop there. My brain just died.

I liked Haytham's mispronunciations, though :p

It was funny.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 07:44 PM
My personal favorite will always be the Abstergo voice-over (Roger Craig Smith) in AC4 files: "Rat-on-a-Tank-on. :cool:

guardian_titan
09-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Altair is pronounced wrong. If I recall, the "L" isn't actually pronounced (ah-tie-ear). Haytham is also pronounced wrong (hi-them). Not surprising Shao Jun is wrong. I had a Chinese friend back in middle school and she was often good about telling us how things were said in Mandarin. I've never said Shao Jun as anything but Joon ... and I live in a heavily hispanic environment where the "J" is often "Y" instead. Mispronunciation is either due to lack of research, different cultures, or different accents. Given what Ubisoft did with the lack of French accents in a French environment, to say that Shao Jun is wrong doesn't surprise me any. I don't see Ubisoft changing it at this point unfortunately. Game's almost released. Only thing you can hope for is the Chinese version corrects it, but that's like saying if you want to hear French in a game set in France, play with the French audio ... oh wait. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't count on it being fixed. Even doing a petition to get it fixed the next time around (if Shao Jun gets another shot at a game or movie) will likely net in nothing but a pat on the head by Ubisoft.

Adventurewoman already stated that Ratonhnhaké:ton can be pronounced any of the ways it's said in the game and the differences are subtle anyway. I once knew a hispanic girl who's name was Alicia. Everyone called her ah-lees-sha. Her name was actually ay-ee-sha. We finally started to pronounce her name right later in the school year after she spent months telling us to change it and she hated it so we went back to the other way. Jesus is another one. Hey-soos vs jee-sus. Robert (Ro-bear vs Rob-ert). Gilliam (gee-um vs gill-ee-um). Gawain (gah-wain vs gow-in). Illinois is a good one even if it's not a name per se (L-in-oy vs L-in-oise). Arkansas and Kansas can really screw people up. Why is Kansas kan-sis while Arkansas is ar-kan-saw? Why don't both end the same since they both end with "sas"? Technically Arkansas does include Kansas in it so shouldn't Arkansas be ar-kan-sis? Oregon (or-gon vs or-gan). Uranus is another one (u-ran-us vs ur-nas). Caught vs cot. Some don't pronounce those different while others do (cawt vs cot). There's also Weyer and Meyer. Weyer is like wire much like Meyer is like mire. Know how many say way-er? Hearth (hearth vs hearth). My friend likes to say idea as i-dear. I can clearly hear the "r" when she says it and I commented on it many times. It's a southern thing in her speech. Think I have enough examples listed. There are a lot more, especially if you listen to enough people. If you travel around the US especially, you can have a field day just listening to how people talk from coast to coast.

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 07:46 PM
I like how Haytham says "Connah"

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I like how Haytham says "Connah"

How does Haytham know he's called Connor, actually?

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
In forsaken, it's implied Hickey and Charles told him IIRC

and they found out by word of mouth presumably.

GoldenBoy9999
09-26-2014, 10:57 PM
I pronounced Connor's name, Rah-doon-ha-gay-don, like Mayrice does. I always heard Altair was Al-ti-air. But I guess it's been changed to Al-Tear. What is the official way to pronounce Shao Jun? Is it Yoon or Joon? It was with a Y in Embers.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 11:02 PM
I pronounced Connor's name, Rah-doon-ha-gay-don, like Mayrice does. I always heard Altair was Al-ti-air. But I guess it's been changed to Al-Tear. What is the official way to pronounce Shao Jun? Is it Yoon or Joon? It was with a Y in Embers.

Altaďr's name pronunciation hasn't been changed in the games, it's just that we have some Arabic members here who know how it's actually supposed to be said. It's more like Alt-air.

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I pronounce Connors = Rah-Doon-Hay-Gay-Don (I think cause thats how Alex first said it, not too sure)
I pronounce Altair = Al-Tai-Er

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-26-2014, 11:09 PM
^ This article may help:

http://kotaku.com/5890608/heres-how-to-pronounce-the-name-of-assassins-creed-iiis-protagonist

Today we found out that the hero of Assassin's Creed III, who calls himself Connor, was born Ratohnhaké:ton.

His name is Ratohnhaké:ton, but you can call him Connor. The latest Assassin's Creed hero…

Here at Kotaku, we consider it our duty to answer important questions like "How the hell do I pronounce Ratohnhaké:ton?" So I asked Assassin's Creed publisher Ubisoft for an official guide. Their response:

Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo'

So there you go.

Looks like I've been pronouncing it right this whole time :)

I-Like-Pie45
09-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Humble thats homophobic

GoldenBoy9999
09-26-2014, 11:36 PM
@ Humble That's exactly how I pronounced it actually. I based it off the time I first heard it and recently I thought I must've been just a little off so I put Don instead of doo. I'm not lying I promise. :o

Xstantin
09-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Haymitch is still the best.

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 11:41 PM
I swear to god next time Adrian Hough is at a panel I will ask him all about Haitan Kanye.

Locopells
09-27-2014, 12:53 AM
How did this end up being about Connor again?!

Kakuzu745
09-27-2014, 07:34 AM
How did this end up being about Connor again?!

Sadly, it always does no matter what :S

sleeplust
10-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I really think ubi should reconsider this issue.I'm a Chinese user and I'm confident in pinyin recognizing,spelling and pronouncing.If Shao is a surname,she should be called Shao Joon,which is 邵君 in Chinese.
Sofia Sartor was right.

Joon is the right one,for short.

sleeplust
10-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Sofia's pronounciation "Joon" was literally right.

pacmanate
10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I really think ubi should reconsider this issue.I'm a Chinese user and I'm confident in pinyin recognizing,spelling and pronouncing.If Shao is a surname,she should be called Shao Joon,which is 邵君 in Chinese.
Sofia Sartor was right.

Joon is the right one,for short.