PDA

View Full Version : Watch_Dogs now has Optional Objectives but it does them right

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 11:17 AM
This is related to AC, so this best not be randomly closed like this thread I made yesterday - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/924694-Do-you-guys-prefer-having-one-city-to-explore-or-several/page4

Anyway, managed to download the new DLC "Bad Blood" yesterday and noticed that the side missions have optional objectives. Bare in mind that no storyline missions have these.

The side missions now come up with optional objectives on the left hand side such as "Don't use guns", "Don't kill anyone" and I think one goes along the line of "Knock down target only". My first thought was "crap" and I literally stared at my TV for a good 5 seconds contemplating what I was seeing.

But then I played the side mission, what happened when I failed my optional objective? Nothing! *Dances in circles". The optional objectives in the side missions are basically "bonuses", they give you a boost to your end mission score as you are ranked per side mission for a few hours on leaderboards.

This is what optional objectives should be, OPTIONAL OBJECTIVES. Not "Optional Constraints" like in AC games. Watch_Dogs has done this right in my opinion, you are not penalized for failing, you just miss out on a little score boost and I really hope that AC games do this in future. Instead of it counting towards "Sync", we should just get a money bonus or something.

marvelfannumber
09-26-2014, 12:40 PM
I honestly think the Abstergo Challenges in AC4 was a step in the right direction. Because to see them you have to access a menu and you only get notified of them when you complete one (basically like in-game achivements/trophies). If they just removed the Optional Objectives and kept the Abstergo Challenges I would be perfectly content.

shobhit7777777
09-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Speaking of WD

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/924316-Watch-Dogs-Gameplay-Feedback-amp-Suggestions?p=10239319#post10239319

Do join in there. WD2 is probably underway, best to start early and unload as much as we can. Anyone remotely interested in WD...share your opinions there. I don't care whether you agree or disagree, just discuss WD gameplay.

On Topic:

I think its time we realize that "Optional Objectives" are a misnomer

These are not objectives, they are specific conditions that need to be met and as such IDGAF about them.

You know what are optional objectives? Actual goals the player has to achieve that make narrative sense

Main Objective - Assassinate that Dude
Optional Objective - Steal his car

D.I.D.
09-26-2014, 01:43 PM
The Watch Dogs "Bad Blood" DLC improves this even further, and it is great all round - in many ways tighter and more fun than the main game. If people want a taste of how Unity will work, some of it is alive in WD already.

There are icons on screen which allow you to elect to play any of the hideout infiltration missions with a co-op partner. Within a minute, you'll be matched with someone. Rather than a mission just starting, the player who initialised the co-op gets to choose which of the many hideouts on the map you're both going to hit, and then you actively travel there (on foot or in a vehicle). When the mission is over, you'll still be connected and can continue going to more of these missions, or you can end it.

As you say, the optional objectives are great here (usually something to do with not killing anyone, or not being detected, or not using a gun or grenades). There's no obvious failure - you'll still win, but you'll score one point for passing and two points for achieving the objectives too. (For anyone who doesn't know, these points only count towards unlocking outfits, and are the only "currency" at the clothes shops this time.) I found that the optional objectives could make the game even more fun, but if I was constantly losing the really tough ones then I always had the option of just shooting everyone and taking my single point.

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 02:17 PM
^ And thats why they are good. You can never "fail" a mission, just lose out on a little bonus.

D.I.D.
09-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Yeah. The great thing there is that you get congratulated by the police contact, which has the complete opposite effect of a red text alert on screen telling you that you failed something. That's obviously a lot easier to do in WD, because the contact simply calls your cellphone after the mission is complete, so all the game has to do is show you the character's caller ID photo and play the audio file. I'm not sure what you'd do in AC to get the same effect, unless your contractor suddenly wandered on screen to commend you on a job well done (which could get a bit weird).

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 02:53 PM
I don't think we need a contact, but it would be cool if Unity had a system where instead of optional objectives counting towards sync, it unlocks stuff, similar to W_D.

For example, complete an optional objective you get $1000. Complete 20 optional objectives and get this new hood. Complete all and get an outfit.

marvelfannumber
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't think we need a contact, but it would be cool if Unity had a system where instead of optional objectives counting towards sync, it unlocks stuff, similar to W_D.

For example, complete an optional objective you get $1000. Complete 20 optional objectives and get this new hood. Complete all and get an outfit.

But then they can't make them into DLC, so that won't happen :rolleyes:

Bastiaen
09-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Only problem: You have to do 60 missions with the same three constraints.
Still love Watch_Dogs, still love AC, and I've never complained about optional objectives as I see them as providing opportunities for extra challenge and replay. If I want to complete a mission one way, guess what, a little red X isn't holding me back, and never will.

Kakuzu745
09-26-2014, 05:01 PM
To be honest constraints are OK for me, however I do prefer Abstergo Challenges...it was more rewarding and actually more fun than some constraints. Not to mention that it actually pushed you to try some things in the game that otherwise you would probably not even bother (without forcing you) like for example, the minigames.

Hans684
09-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Either they should stay as they are, it's things the protagonist did, so it has to be the red X of doom when failed to fully synchronize. Or remove them entirely.

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes. Perfectly said. I have the DLC too and I did notice that. It’s much better this way. If they’re “optional”, “extra”, “bonuses”, then they should be more like a 120% completion, rather than not completing them prevents you from a 100% completion.