PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys prefer having one city to explore, or several?

pacmanate
09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Just a random thought.

Personally, I don't really mind. I liked Rome in AC:B and In AC:Revelations I was actually content with just Constantinople (That was before I found out Capadoccia existed). I don't really know why people don't like single cities, I think if the districts vary enough then it seems like more than one map?

I have seen people post around various places on the interwebs that they don't like having one city, so blame them for the spawn of this thread.

So do you like multiple cities, are you content with one, do you impartial? Also say why :D

Hans684
09-25-2014, 08:40 PM
1 - Not really but content matters the most.

2 - I prefer this, it makes the world feel more alive(bad word, couldn't find a fitting word). It's just the feeling of endless exploring and the unique locations.

3 - While I prefer 2, I'm voting this. It's the most reasonable, the game should be the focus. I'd rather have a small quality game than a big buggy mess.

Sushiglutton
09-25-2014, 08:46 PM
I prefer multiple cities all other things equal.

But If the option for Unity would be between one city OR the scale/interiors I would def choose the latter.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I don't mind both. It's the content that makes the difference.

JustPlainQuirky
09-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Several.

I like seeing distinctly different places.

Not just within districts.

Because they inevitably all share an inherent theme that ties them together in some form.

Even if it's very subtle.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-25-2014, 09:03 PM
I don't mind both. It's the content that makes the difference.

I agree.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Several.

I like seeing distinctly different places.

Not just within districts.

Because they inevitably all share an inherent theme that ties them together in some form.

Even if it's very subtle.

Very true.

dxsxhxcx
09-25-2014, 09:08 PM
multiple cities, IMO go from one city to another as we advance in the game also helps the pace of the story, it creates the illusion that things are moving forward instead of being confined into one single place (no matter how diverse or big a single city might be), even if the architecture of these cities are similar, the atmosphere (and its events/people) usually are different what also helps a lot, this is a feeling I can't get from single cities

SixKeys
09-25-2014, 09:15 PM
More than one, definitely. And they should be sufficiently different in atmosphere, color schemes etc. I don't mind if the cities aren't 1:1 scale if I can have multiple smaller ones to explore.

GunnerGalactico
09-25-2014, 09:18 PM
I prefer more than one city, not that I have a problem with having just one single city. I simply like the feeling of being in a completely different place and not just being in a different area of the same city.

multiple cities, IMO go from one city to another as we advance in the game also helps the pace of the story, it creates the illusion that things are moving forward instead of being confined into one single place (no matter how diverse or big a single city might be), even if the architecture of these cities are similar, the atmosphere (and its events/people) usually are different what also helps a lot, this is a feeling I can't get from single cities

I agree. Very nicely put.

Bastiaen
09-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Anyone who pays attention to my posts will realize, I just like Assassin's Creed. I'm happy with all the games they've made, even if they weren' perfect.

guardian_titan
09-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Prefer multiple cities myself. I found Rome got boring rather quickly as did Constantinople. Similarly, I found Chicago boring in Watch_Dogs ... and I used to live near Chicago and had been in the city a few times. I prefer variety to each location so having two cities that are similar is just as bad as one big city. I also like exploration and seeing different things. Wandering around the same city, the architecture eventually just blends together and it becomes a repetitive game of where collectibles or targets are, where hiding spots and perches are, etc. Then again, the mapping system's different so maybe there won't be as much repetition now.

While it's not unlikely many things can occur in one location, realistically, events occur across a wide area. I would have preferred to see other French cities in Unity and not just Paris because the Revolution wasn't in just Paris. That'd be like having the entirety of AC3 being in New York. There was so much more to the American Revolution than what occurred in one location so it was good to see the frontier and Boston. Imagine a WWII game where the entire thing is set in Berlin or Tokyo. You never see what's going on in Moscow, Paris, London, etc. Or maybe a War of the Roses game set entirely in London. Or a game in China that's entirely in Beijing. With Unity ... having the entire game set in Paris concerns me just because there was more going on outside Paris. Throwing in Troyes (link it back to Reginald Birch), Versailles, and even London (older Jenny cameo?) would have added variety. Tale of Two Cities references be damned. They're already pulling Romeo and Juliet.

Maybe there's more to the main game than just Paris much like there was more to Revelations than Constantinople. Not really holding my breath on it. The story seems to be centered around Arno and not so much the French Revolution so perhaps a single city might work. Makes me curious if you can pluck Arno out and throw him into another setting and the story will still be largely the same. How much will the Revolution truly play into his story?

JamesFaith007
09-25-2014, 09:48 PM
One main city plus smaller supportive ones like Forli in AC2.

But on other hand it would depend on which city they choose for main because not every city have potential for central hub like Florence or Paris.

ze_topazio
09-25-2014, 10:44 PM
The more the merrier.

Megas_Doux
09-25-2014, 10:47 PM
More than one city/map.

D.I.D.
09-25-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't mind, but it is nice to get a little vacation from the main place sometimes.

Something I really liked in Brotherhood was the art heist at Lucrezia's country mansion, and the locations of the war machines. We don't necessarily need a whole other city to spend a little time in a different place.

Wolfmeister1010
09-25-2014, 10:59 PM
I would normally prefer multiple cities. Cities like Rome and Istanbul were basically the same throughout and it got boring pretty fast.

But Paris seems to be incredibly vast and also different. All the districts apparently have a different feel, and the fact that the whole color scheme and feel of the location changes with the time of day keeps it fresh. Not to mention how there are multiple layers and interiors, and the architecture is just fantastic.

Plus we have Versailles, which from the leaks beta looks to be a bit bigger than Havana, plus the palace itself.

^The Lucrezia Art Heist mission was my favorite mission in the Ezio saga. I loved how it took you gradually through all the parts of the manor, first the barn, and then the common quarters and the garden and more. I also loved how dark it was. Brilliant mission.

Assassin_M
09-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Don't care. As long as it's alive, atmospheric and filled with content, then I don't mind one city or several.

Xstantin
09-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Either way. As long as cities - or districts feel different enough.

Alphacos007
09-25-2014, 11:08 PM
I would normally prefer multiple cities. Cities like Rome and Istanbul were basically the same throughout and it got boring pretty fast.

But Paris seems to be incredibly vast and also different. All the districts apparently have a different feel, and the fact that the whole color scheme and feel of the location changes with the time of day keeps it fresh. Not to mention how there are multiple layers and interiors, and the architecture is just fantastic.

Plus we have Versailles, which from the leaks beta looks to be a bit bigger than Havana, plus the palace itself.

^The Lucrezia Art Heist mission was my favorite mission in the Ezio saga. I loved how it took you gradually through all the parts of the manor, first the barn, and then the common quarters and the garden and more. I also loved how dark it was. Brilliant mission.

You just said everything I had to say. Thank you.

Namikaze_17
09-25-2014, 11:09 PM
I like both...but them at least adding in a rural or urban city that circles around Paris would be nice. :)

Xstantin
09-25-2014, 11:12 PM
I like both...but them at least adding in a rural or urban city that circles around Paris would be nice. :)

That'll be Saint-Denis from the DLC I guess :) different darker feel yada yada

RinoTheBouncer
09-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I usually prefer more than one city, as long as they’re all equally interesting and very diverse, not just the same city, retextured and slightly modified, nor all of them are equally bad. I love traveling from one location to another. I even wish they let us travel to other countries. Perhaps a game divided into two segments, each set in a different country and after we finish the game, we get to travel between both sides or something like that.

Namikaze_17
09-25-2014, 11:51 PM
That'll be Saint-Denis from the DLC I guess :) different darker feel yada yada

Will it be apart of the game or just DLC?

Xstantin
09-26-2014, 12:00 AM

I have no idea :) looks different enough though imo

GoldenBoy9999
09-26-2014, 01:01 AM

Should just be DLC. I want rural as well.

I don't mind either way. I like the way Ubisoft is doing it, some one city, others multiple cities. In AC2 I would've preferred that they focus on fewer cities because I would play in a city and not go to one because I had no reason to. AC3 did pretty good but New York and Boston were similar. AC4 has been my favorite, dividing my time equally between Havana and Kingston. I hardly touched foot in Nassau though. The others appealed to me and had great architectural difference.

Shahkulu101
09-26-2014, 01:13 AM
Don't mind either or.

On one hand I love the feeling of progression you get when you unlock a new city, and the excitement that comes with exploring a city for the first time. However, having one city in the form of Paris; a dense, immensely populated city with 1:1 scale buildings and seamless interiors, is not bad at all - it's brilliant! I'm sure that if we had multiple cities they wouldn't have been able to accomplish all that, so it's a more than acceptable compromise.

Also in a Unity we do technically have two cities, Versailles probably will be small though. In fact I won't be surprised if Versailles is sort of like Monterrigioni in the sense that there's one big building (like the Auditore villa) and a small town in front of it.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 01:24 AM
Are we allowed to talk about Versailles? :confused:

Shahkulu101
09-26-2014, 01:28 AM
Versailles was http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/robinweatherall/veggers/128/Leek-icon.png'd?

I thought it was just a given because we knew Arno grew up there and the palace has been featured in trailers and screenshots.

Namikaze_17
09-26-2014, 01:53 AM
Don't mind either or.

On one hand I love the feeling of progression you get when you unlock a new city, and the excitement that comes with exploring a city for the first time. However, having one city in the form of Paris; a dense, immensely populated city with 1:1 scale buildings and seamless interiors, is not bad at all - it's brilliant! I'm sure that if we had multiple cities they wouldn't have been able to accomplish all that, so it's a more than acceptable compromise.

Also in a Unity we do technically have two cities, Versailles probably will be small though. In fact I won't be surprised if Versailles is sort of like Monterrigioni in the sense that there's one big building (like the Auditore villa) and a small town in front of it.

I could dig that... :)

Kakuzu745
09-26-2014, 02:02 AM
As long as it has a lot of content I would be fine with either. Still, if I would have to choose one, I would go with many cities.

Farlander1991
09-26-2014, 07:16 AM
While it's undeniably cool to have more cities, and it gives a sense of epicness, it also dilutes the content a lot, because it has to be spread out across the cities.

Let's take at the content of AC2 cities.
FLORENCE
Main missions - 37 (including main story DLC), note that I don't remove cutscene missions from the list
Side missions - 14 (interior tomb missions included)
Total - 51

VENICE
Main missions - 29
Side missions - 15
Total - 44

SAN GIMIGNANO
Main missions - 6
Side missions - 12
Total - 18

FORLI
Main missions - 8
Side missions - 13
Total - 21

AC2 cities total - 134 missions (yes, I didn't count Monterrigioni, but it's not a main city per se, more like home base)

Now let's take a look at ACB's ROME.
Main missions - 43
Side missions - 58 (Borgia towers count as they're essentially missions, but Cristina memories and Da Vinci machines that happen outside of Rome don't count, even though we get them in Rome)
DLC missions - 8/16 (depending if you've got a PS3 or not)
Total - 109/117

Rome alone has got more content than two of the biggest AC2 cities has got combined. And Forli/San Gimignano? Those locations were VERY interesting to me, and yet we spend so little time in them. Yes, they're smaller, but they're not packed with content. I never felt like didn't spend enough time in Rome or didn't have much to do, but I did feel that way with Forli/San Gimignano.

Basically, my point is, I would prefer less cities with more content packed in them, especially when the scale of the cities is as big as Paris of ACU.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 07:57 AM
While it's undeniably cool to have more cities, and it gives a sense of epicness, it also dilutes the content a lot, because it has to be spread out across the cities.

Let's take at the content of AC2 cities.
FLORENCE
Main missions - 37 (including main story DLC), note that I don't remove cutscene missions from the list
Side missions - 14 (interior tomb missions included)
Total - 51

VENICE
Main missions - 29
Side missions - 15
Total - 44

SAN GIMIGNANO
Main missions - 6
Side missions - 12
Total - 18

FORLI
Main missions - 8
Side missions - 13
Total - 21

AC2 cities total - 134 missions (yes, I didn't count Monterrigioni, but it's not a main city per se, more like home base)

Now let's take a look at ACB's ROME.
Main missions - 43
Side missions - 58 (Borgia towers count as they're essentially missions, but Cristina memories and Da Vinci machines that happen outside of Rome don't count, even though we get them in Rome)
DLC missions - 8/16 (depending if you've got a PS3 or not)
Total - 109/117

Rome alone has got more content than two of the biggest AC2 cities has got combined. And Forli/San Gimignano? Those locations were VERY interesting to me, and yet we spend so little time in them. Yes, they're smaller, but they're not packed with content. I never felt like didn't spend enough time in Rome or didn't have much to do, but I did feel that way with Forli/San Gimignano.

Basically, my point is, I would prefer less cities with more content packed in them, especially when the scale of the cities is as big as Paris of ACU.

IMO San Gimignano had enough content for its size. Forlí felt a bit under-utilized, maybe because no main assassinations took place there (until the DLC). It was basically just a place for Ezio to pass through while he searched for Leonardo and there was no real reason to go back there once you reached Venice.

AC2 is still the best when it comes to city variety, I think. Because it had so much side content spread throughout multiple locations, there was enough incentive to visit those places throughout the game. Whenever I got bored of one city, I would head somewhere different. Florence was cultured and inviting, Venice cold and majestic, Forlí damp and shabby, San Gimignano warm and cozy. I really think 3 main cities with some smaller ones is the best approach. AC4 was okay for this, but the fishing villages didn't quite cut it for exciting urban locations.

Farlander1991
09-26-2014, 08:09 AM
IMO San Gimignano had enough content for its size.

Would I have the ability to mod AC games (UBI!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WANT TO MOD THE AC GAMES SO MUCH IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME WHY CAN'T WE MOD THEM OR AT LEAST ME BECAUSE I'M GONNA MAKE AWESOME STUFF!!!!!!!), first thing I'd do was to add more side missions to San Gimignano :p

Actually, one of the things I want to do, but would require a lot of time, is to make a heatmap of sorts to see how much space is utilized in each city in missions and side-content (though not for collectibles like chests and flags as they're spread out pretty evenly everywhere). Ideal situation, IMO, would be to have like 75% of an area covered at the least.

LoyalACFan
09-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's done well. I LOVED having multiple cities in AC2 and AC4, but hated it in AC3 (felt like I did nothing but travel in that game). I LOVED Constantinople, but hated Rome (too big, bland, and samey). So yeah, it just depends on how it's executed. Paris looks WONDERFUL so far, and combined with the seamless(!) interiors and catacombs I'm sure it will feel plenty big enough.

Farlander1991
09-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Here is Tuscany heat map.
Basic legend:
Red - Main mission
Green - Assassination contract
Blue - Other side missions (races, courier assignments, beat-ups, secret entrances).

For the purposes of this heatmap, I didn't put the paths from receiving the mission to where the mission actually is (i.e., we take assassination contract inside the city and it's in the country-side).
However, when inside a mission we have to get from point A to point B (for example in the Vieri assassination mission we have to get from the Torre Grossa courtyard to the gates where we find Vieri, or in a courier mission) I've put the shortest/most comfortable path to the goal. Also, if we're following ally/target then I've put the path of the ally/target in the heatmap.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/698x898q90/537/JtRRZJ.jpg

There are a bunch of buildings on the countryside that we don't have to visit even during courier missions, they're there just for collectibles.
A big concentration of things is going on in a courtyard on the eastern side, where there's a well where one of our main assassination targets (Bernardo I think his name is, the fat guy in red clothes). Not only that area has got a main assassination, it also has got a side assassination, it's the place where a beat-up husband is located, it's a part of a race course.
Torre Grossa is also a big centerpoint as you can see.

And despite this being a small city, there's surprisingly a lot of stuff not used. The small fortress on the west is not used in any side-mission (one side assassination could be moved there instead of the already used Roman Ruins or Bernard's Well Courtyard). Below that fortress is a public courtyard that wasn't used for anything. And above it as well. And some other neat little places too.

So yeah, I think San Gimignano could either use some additional content, or at least have it placed differently (I'm sure the fact that a lot of things happen in the same spots have subconsciously played a part in me thinking the city is underutilized).

Sushiglutton
09-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Would I have the ability to mod AC games (UBI!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WANT TO MOD THE AC GAMES SO MUCH IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME WHY CAN'T WE MOD THEM OR AT LEAST ME BECAUSE I'M GONNA MAKE AWESOME STUFF!!!!!!!), first thing I'd do was to add more side missions to San Gimignano :p

Actually, one of the things I want to do, but would require a lot of time, is to make a heatmap of sorts to see how much space is utilized in each city in missions and side-content (though not for collectibles like chests and flags as they're spread out pretty evenly everywhere). Ideal situation, IMO, would be to have like 75% of an area covered at the least.

^^^^
Ubisoft give this man his modding tools because by Arno's DLC-beard I want to play his work!

rrebe
09-26-2014, 10:30 AM
More cities, more things to see. But in the end I don't really care how many cities there is, I'm happy as long as there's missions and stuff to do in them (and fast travel between cities isn't a pain)

m4r-k7
09-26-2014, 12:44 PM
More cities as there is more variety in the game. I am scared that even though there are different districts of Paris, I am scared they will look similar.

I still believe they are hiding another area (not talking about Versaille). I mean its a next-gen game, most other AC games have had a lot of variety

king-hailz
09-26-2014, 04:39 PM
I like multiple cities because if the new feels and different architecture... but paris' districts look like they will handle that fine... However knowing your in a different city just makes the game feel bigger... and bigger is always better right ;)

zkorejo
09-26-2014, 05:55 PM
I dont mind one city if its done right, but ofcourse I prefer more cities. Travelling from Florence to Venice in ACII, or from Las Venturas to LS in GTA SA has its own fun. More cities means more diversity, but if one big city has enough diversity then its all good.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I don't mind it too much either way. As long as a single city is large enough.

To me, Rome fell a little short. A good portion of it was wide open hills on the outskirts which I rarely want to visit and the city itself, while maybe bigger than Florence or Venice (not sure), it was still only one city. Comparing it to AC2 which had Florence AND Venice in addition to smaller cities like Forli and stuff... yeah. It feels small. ACR on the other hand features Constantinople which is almost entirely urban. While it's somewhat homogenous compared to the cities of AC1 and 2, it was still a huge step up from ACB IMO. The city was much larger. Plus, it also had Cappodocia which was a cave-city -- a very small thing but you could consider it a small district in the game that is aesthetically very different from the rest.

AC3 had Boston and New York and neither were very different IMO. They didn't have different filters a la AC1/2 which helped differentiate atmosphere nor didthe architecture itself keep me entertained like ACR.

Haven't played AC4 but Havana looked fun and Kingston looked like a better version of Boston/NY but still didn't interest me as much as Havana. Havana looked....decently sized. Not sure how big in comparison to say, Venice or Florence. But at least decent. Also, I haven't seen any videos that show off Kingston at all so I know even less about that one. I heard the cities were underutilized in AC4 in favor of the islands and naval stuff. Meh.

Unity's Paris looks great. I wish we could get a video showing off the different districts to get a feel of what they look and, well, feel like lol

The setting of Dead Kings looks pretty different from the rest of Unity and seems to almost have a filter over it like Acre. not sure though.

pacmanate
09-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Everything has filters on it.

AC Brotherhoods is the worst. Theres a green one near the hideout, a really warm one near the Pantheon and I'm pretty sure there is a cool filter over the open space near the colleseum.

The only place that had the best filter in ACB was the Vatican district.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-27-2014, 12:47 AM

thought AC 2 was good with this. the tone for each city was different and cool

Edit AC 1 did a good job too. Acre was my fav AC city

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Everything has filters on it.

AC Brotherhoods is the worst. Theres a green one near the hideout, a really warm one near the Pantheon and I'm pretty sure there is a cool filter over the open space near the colleseum.

The only place that had the best filter in ACB was the Vatican district.

I agree. Sometimes it gets too obvious. But yes, the best was near the Vatican City.

pacmanate
09-27-2014, 09:27 PM
The problem with the obviousness of filters in ACB was definitely due to it being one map cause you could see the transition. Going from Acre to Jerusalem you don't notice it as much as you have a loading screen.

HDinHB
09-28-2014, 02:31 AM
Doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's done well. I LOVED having multiple cities in AC2 and AC4, but hated it in AC3 (felt like I did nothing but travel in that game). I LOVED Constantinople, but hated Rome (too big, bland, and samey). So yeah, it just depends on how it's executed. Paris looks WONDERFUL so far, and combined with the seamless(!) interiors and catacombs I'm sure it will feel plenty big enough.

Have you been reading my mind again?

I never felt like didn't spend enough time in Rome or didn't have much to do, but I did feel that way with Forli/San Gimignano.

The problem i had with Rome was I felt like I spent more than enough time there. I hope I don't get that "Oh, I've got to go over to that side of town again" feeling. Sometimes I felt like a commuter stuck in traffic, spending half the day travelling.