PDA

View Full Version : Poor Edward

LieutenantRex
09-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Geeze, it hasn't even been a year yet and Edward's already been forgotten. Seriously, how many threads about Edward have you seen since this spring? Not many, right? Now, let's see how many threads the combined annihilator tag team of Connor and Haytham has generated. More than you can count. Heck, even Ezio Auditore da Firenze and Altair have threads about them here and there. And this is amid the female character, Arno, multiplayer, ACU storm. Yet there's no love for Edward Kenway. Why?

By all accounts, AC4 was a very good game. It was more than a reskin of AC3. It was an excellent pirate game. One of the best the gaming industry has ever seen. So where did it fall for the main character? The lack of a strong center story? Or was it the sub par modern day section that forced you to play as a mute who was being held hostage by a bunch of hipsters in their hipster headquarters? Was Edward simply not interesting enough? I mean, I think it's pretty impossible to be as uninteresting as Connor, but it seems to these forums that Edward's snatched that title away.

This is for Edward, and all those closeted Edward lovers out there. Show your affection for our lost assassin.

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/84085257/thumb.jpg

Shahkulu101
09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Edward is joint favourite with Connor for me. I love his story and thought it was the best AC story so far, the only one were I was really invested in the main character.

I loved how I was still able to sympathise with him even though he destroyed his and other peoples life in the process, because to me he was just characterised so well. I thought it was brilliant that he came to embrace the Assassin's despite being neutral rather than being born into it or killing Templar's for revenge at first.

And the ending of ACIV was just serene. One of the most emotional gaming moments last year for me. I love Edward and I approve this message.

Farlander1991
09-25-2014, 03:43 PM
I was never closeted. :p

AC4 has hands down the best crafted story and character progression out of the whole series. It might not tackle philosophical issues as deeply as AC1 and the ambiguity isn't as big as in AC3, but AC4 is pretty much perfectly paced, very strongly written, with the only real gripe that I can point out is that some of the smaller details get lost if you don't follow AC4 story in a straight linear fashion but in an open-world manner (so there should've been more things in the open-world to keep it connected to the narrative, let's say talks with Blackbeard in a tavern like we were able to do in AC3, or stuff like that).

But as it concerns Edward, not only is his arc beautifully told, and is just a really strong character arc with a great theme of finding one's own place in the world, it has resonated strongly with me for a variety of personal reasons.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Edward and Ezio are my favorites. I loved AC4! It was fantastic.

Assassin_M
09-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I loved Edward. He's awesome and I defend him a lot from people who are like "waa waaaa Edward iz not a troo azzazzin"
Agreed with everything Farlander and Shahk said.

Megas_Doux
09-25-2014, 04:02 PM
I like Edward and AC IV is my favorite gameplay wise!

He is just not that polarizing, not here, at least.

pacmanate
09-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I love Edward too, hes my favourite AC character joint with Altair.

I think the reason he hasnt been talked about for a while is because there is no need. His story is pretty much done, there isn't much more he can do than a London game (which I would rather be Victorian London).

His story was self contained in AC4, it was great to have a story about a character and have the Assassin/Templar war as a backdrop. Very interesting dynamic and a nice change up.

Pandassin
09-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Edward is currently my favourite Assassin, his story was the best in the series and he had the strongest character development. I love that Edward joined the Assassins because he believed they would do right, not because he was born into it/wanted revenge/because he was told to. Plus the ending of AC4 was the most beautiful ending I've ever seen to any game.

So yeah, AC4 is my favourite AC, and Edward is my favourite Assassin. He's a character who will always be dear to me.

lothario-da-be
09-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Nice thread OP! I realy love Edward as a character, maybe even as much as Connor, finaly he gets some attention. I also think his VA was fantastic,

DumbGamerTag94
09-25-2014, 05:25 PM
I think Edward is awesome. I just think that he's so decidedly awesome that there is nothing to debate. Pretty much everyone likes him. That's why he isn't discussed much.

While Ezio and Connor by comparison are often disagreed upon about the quality of their characters.

I feel like Arno will be the same way. If he is in fact as universally likable as they keep describing him.

Kaschra
09-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Edward is my favourite AC protagonist, and AC4 my fave AC game.

Edward was a character of great ambition; he wasn't satisfied with his old life as an unimportant, poor peasant. He wanted more. He wanted to prove the world that he was worth something, that he was a man of quality.
But he was a man on the path to self-destruction, his greed and selfishness lead him astray. He became his own greatest enemy.
So many people told him to change his course, but he wouldn't listen. Mary's loss finally opened his eyes and he realized that he needed to find a new path, or else he would ruin everything.
He finally changed - it was late, but some people need to learn it the hard way.

pacmanate
09-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Edward is my favourite AC protagonist, and AC4 my fave AC game.

Edward was a character of great ambition; he wasn't satisfied with his old life as an unimportant, poor peasant. He wanted more. He wanted to prove the world that he was worth something, that he was a man of quality.

I found this very interesting. Because he really did love Caroline and wanted to provide a better life for them both. However, the means that he went about it, being selfish, self centered made an interest contrast.

His goal was noble but his actions not so much.

He was a very conflicted character and Darby did a great job with the story.

Namikaze_17
09-25-2014, 06:24 PM
I loved Edward!!!

He's my third only behind Altair & Connor. :)
( And I really consider him equal with Connor, just I prefer Connor over him really.)

But Edward is cool considering how I hated him at first, but him and his story really taught me about what the Creed is all about, something that hasn't been represented much since AC1.

But going by what you're saying OP, what practically is there to talk about with Edward? Many liked him, others didn't just like Altair.

He doesn't gather a sufficient amount of Love/Hate from fans as much as Ezio or Connor do...he was just another character people came to like, love and understand. And for that, I can never forget him.

Kakuzu745
09-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I guess it is mainly because the guy is not that polarizing. After hating him a lot I actually like the guy a lot now.

Sequel for Edward a la Sims where you have to raise Haytham!

SixKeys
09-25-2014, 07:39 PM
I like Edward and AC IV is my favorite gameplay wise!

He is just not that polarizing, not here, at least.

Yeah, I think the reason why we don't see many Edward threads is because most people agree that he's a solid character.

Mr.Black24
09-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I think the reason why we don't see many Edward threads is because most people agree that he's a solid character.
YES! AGREE! Everyone knows his story, his personality, his values, practically everything. It was all well done. That is why no one brings him up at all, like Altair, he is a solid character. People only bring up Ezio and Connor is because apparently he is a debatable character that must be used at one another for "debates" (Lol ***in Youtube! Have you seen that sea of stupidity? I hate Angry Joe so much!) for some strange reason, despite the fact that they are totally well written characters who had their own trials and tribulations. Mostly what we get from the "casuals" is "UGh Cunnorz so boringz, my Enzios, mmmmmmhhhh....."

Opinion or no, if one is to debate, one must bring facts, opinions have no substance unless they are reinforced with facts and information, period. This was pretty much taught in ENG101, (Well at least in my college) but something tells me that no one but a few of us actually paid attention in class. As well as from life experiences of course!

JustPlainQuirky
09-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeah I take back what I said about Shay being the first come-and-go character.

Edward was most def a come-and-go character.

Poor guy.

Namikaze_17
09-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Well at least Edward made his impact... :)

Xstantin
09-25-2014, 11:21 PM
He was a solid guy with clear motivation and had his glorious time being at the center of the character group wallpapers. Time to move on.

JustPlainQuirky
09-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Edward was a funny guy, but lacked depth IMO.

You pretty much got the gist of his character just by glancing at the guy.

That's not to say that logic doesn't apply to other AC characters.

I wasn't invested in his story.

But I do like him as a character. I'd invite him to a party.

Namikaze_17
09-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Edward was a funny guy, but lacked depth IMO.

You pretty much got the gist of his character just by glancing at the guy.

That's not to say that logic doesn't apply to other AC characters.

I wasn't invested in his story.

But I do like him as a character. I'd invite him to a party.

Which AC Character wouldn't you invite to a party, Mayrice? :)

JustPlainQuirky
09-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Aveline.

Adewale.

But I'd be called racist if I left it at that.

So Arno too so it's all the "A" characters :rolleyes:

Aside from Altair ofc cuz hes awesome

Xstantin
09-25-2014, 11:47 PM
I think you forgot Dobby

rprkjj
09-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Edward is my favorite protagonist, for sure for AC, and maybe for any game. He earns points along with Altair for not having to go through a generic family tragedy, at least Altair was like that before they dug deeper into his backstory in ACR. He's also the most relatable imo, he has some great emotional moments, and his problems stem from himself for the most part, but he redeems himself. The ending ties with ACR for me. ACR's ending gave me goosebumps, and AC4's almost made me tear up.

Fatal-Feit
09-25-2014, 11:52 PM
I compliment AC:IV all the time. It's the best game in the franchise.

Okay, maybe not Edward, specifically, but AC:IV, as a whole.

killzab
09-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Aveline.

Adewale.

But I'd be called racist if I left it at that.

So Arno too so it's all the "A" characters :rolleyes:

Aside from Altair ofc cuz hes awesome

You haven't even played Unity and you don't what Arno is like. :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
09-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Don't forget Patience... ;)

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 12:01 AM
You haven't even played Unity and you don't what Arno is like. :rolleyes:

I was gonna leave him out.

But den I'd be rassis :rolleyes:

GoldenBoy9999
09-26-2014, 12:11 AM
I liked Edward pretty good. I could relate to him more than Altair and Ezio. He was a pirate but had human qualities and cared about his daughter and family. The ending was marvelous as well and almost brought me to tears. I really liked his progression through the story and his way of talking to people and caring for them.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-26-2014, 12:56 AM
I like each AC character. I don't like any of the more then the others. I like them all for different reasons

1. Altiar- this guy is like the definition of assassin. he is really confident in his abilities and seems arrogant towards the beginning. but as he grows through the ranks he learns what the assassins are really about.

2. I like Ezio because unlike Altair he didn't question the creed at first. he was too focused on revenge to question them through both brotherhood and 2. and after killing so many he begins to ask himself if he was and is doing the right thing. and whether or not going on is worth it and for the first time he is unsure. really liked this side of him.

3.Connor- I always loved Connor. his development from a clumsy teen to an honorable assassin was awesome to see. he admitlly had more character progression than ezio had through 2/ brotherhood. his determination to protect his people is a quality that sticks with him and it makes him even more likeable.

4. Edward- Edward seems like an average selfish sailor at first but as you get to know him you realize his final goal is to make it back to his wife a better man. and as he does this he is slowly mixed up in the eternal conflict of the assassins and Templars. keeping his interesting personality throughout. and after all his experiences with both sides he makes his decision on the side too take.

Farlander1991
09-26-2014, 07:35 AM
I would like to note though that there are still conflicts about Edward. They're not direct as with Ezio/Connor, they're related to the discussion how 'assassiny' AC4 is, a discussion that still crops out today.

X_xWolverinEx_X
09-26-2014, 09:03 AM
I to think ac4 had the best story and Edward is my favourite assassin out of all of them but its not the best story I've ever played in my life telltale holds that title

LieutenantRex
09-26-2014, 03:00 PM
I to think ac4 had the best story and Edward is my favourite assassin out of all of them but its not the best story I've ever played in my life telltale holds that title

65% of players killed Kenny.

RinoTheBouncer
09-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Ezio is my No.1, but Connor and Eddy keep fighting on the No.1 spot. They’re both amazing and Edward, man, I wish we could get a DLC about him rather than Adewale. I mean don’t get me wrong, Freedom Cry was probably more fun than ACIV itself but Adewale wasn’t that relevant in the main game and neither did Aveline whom they just shoved into ACIV.

Loki Will Rule
09-27-2014, 10:51 PM
I always thought a lot of people liked Edward. He's definitely one of my favourite characters in the franchise along with Altair, Connor and Haytham.

Juandules
09-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Edward is definitely my favorite assassin after Ezio. AC4 was probably the game with the best gameplay so far for me, in terms of assassinations, story, and overall gameplay. The ending, as mentioned above, is very emotional. I think my favorite part (And saddest) was when Edward sees all his friends who've died all sitting together and laughing. Some would probably call me a baby or something, but my eyes watered up at that part. Rest in Peace, Edward.