PDA

View Full Version : Should a main, 3D/Standard-style, AC game be set in China?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-22-2014, 10:02 PM
My actual question is -- do you think it would benefit the series for a main, 3D/standard-style, AC game to be set in China?*

So, we now know we're getting an AC game set in China!!!! But it's not what any of us were hoping for. While the game could be fun on its own and the art style is undoubtedly gorgeous -- it's a bit underwhelming, at least for me personally.

I've grown tired of 18th Century European AC games and while I love that part of history, I would like to visit something new, something we haven't seen or done before. People have been clamoring for an Asian game since the original AC especially because of the markings of Subject 16. Originally, it seems as though the most wanted Asian setting was Feudal Japan because of ninjas. Since then, there have been numerous arguments for and against an AC set then but in more recent times, China seems to have surpassed Feudal Japan as the most requested Asian setting (at least on the forums) and not for lack of compelling reasons -- Japan was typically smaller and more sparse than China while China was significantly larger and more dense meaning classic AC gameplay would fit better with China.

So now a 2.5D game has been announced and that seems to lessen the likelihood of visiting China in a main console title, at least for the foreseeable future. It doesn't rule anything out. It could mean we won't be getting one and this was done instead OR it could be a hint/prelude at what is to come. It's impossible to know.

So what do you think? Feel free to state why or why not in your responses.

For me, I believe it would. I'm growing tired of 18th century Europe. We've had it now for AC3, AC4, ACRo, ACU. ACL if you want to count that one as well. Even Ezio only had 3 games set during the same time period and even THAT was tiresome by the third outing. This wouldn't be so disappointing if the series hadn't begun with the Crusades then moved to Italy, and hinted at other places or even featured other places in expanded material. They have the whole of history, more or less, to use as their playground. I think it's time to move on to a different culture/time. We can always return and revisit 18th century Europe at a later time.

It's a setting with a LOT of story-telling potential. It's history is expansive and there are plenty of points which would be RIPE for the AC treatment. Plenty of chances to fit in Assassins and Templars into the history, plenty of chances to include Pieces of Eden or other First Civ. stuff, etc.

The setting would also feature brand new architecture, never before seen or explored in the franchise. As a game with a huge and primary draw of parkour (and especially now with it's radically updated parkour mechanics for ACU), I believe this setting would be absolutely wonderful from a gameplay perspective -- graphically too with all of the rich colors and power of next gen consoles/PC.

http://arts.cultural-china.com/chinaWH/upload/upfiles/2009-09/07/the_mythic_elements_in_chinese_architecture1fb5d69 a1eebc2415b1e.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MKapipwOuJY/TAUffp8VvjI/AAAAAAAAAAs/8gvlZ4Gg7Y0/s1600/yuyuan_gardens1.jpg

Dat Viewpoint:
http://images.chinahighlights.com/travelguide1/culture/architecture/features-of-ancient-chinese-architecture.jpg

Perfect idea of what a street might look like in a Chinese AC. There's even a perpendicular bar jutting off of the right side to either swing from or aid in jumping from one side to the other:
http://www.photoeverywhere.co.uk/east/china/chinastreet01491.jpg

*couldn't fit this into the poll question or thread title. The "should" implies that I think Ubisoft HAS to do it. Obviously, they don't have to. Any number of options are available for them throughout history but I do think it'd benefit the series.

ShoryukenMan
09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
I would like it to see a proper AC set in China, but I don't feel too strongly about it one way or another. If we get one, the awesome. If not, then I'm not too bothered. If we do get one, though, they've got to get the combat just right. I don't want to see stealth take precedence in an AC game in China. I want to see that awesome combat/martial arts really shine.

pacmanate
09-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Should? Probably not.

Do I want it? Yes.

I honestly don't think they shoved China into this for fan service. I think they shoved Shao in as fan service.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-22-2014, 10:20 PM
I would like it to see a proper AC set in China, but I don't feel too strongly about it one way or another. If we get one, the awesome. If not, then I'm not too bothered. If we do get one, though, they've got to get the combat just right. I don't want to see stealth take precedence in an AC game in China. I want to see that awesome combat/martial arts really shine.

I do think stealth should take precedence... or at least in the same way ACU's doing it. But I DO want the martial arts to look cool but I also don't want it to be over the top and cheesy either. Gotta find the right balance.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Should? Probably not.

Do I want it? Yes.

I honestly don't think they shoved China into this for fan service. I think they shoved Shao in as fan service.

I knew the wording of the post/question on the poll would be upsetting. I'll bold the question and enlarge the font that's typed out in the post as it's different. It's simply asking if you think it'd benefit the series. I couldn't fit it into the poll or title for the thread.

pacmanate
09-22-2014, 10:29 PM
I knew the wording of the post/question on the poll would be upsetting. I'll bold the question and enlarge the font that's typed out in the post as it's different. It's simply asking if you think it'd benefit the series. I couldn't fit it into the poll or title for the thread.

Maybeeee? I'm not sure what you mean by benefit. Every AC game sells a stupid amount each year. I would find an Asia setting really refreshing. Time we moved to the East I say.

GunnerGalactico
09-22-2014, 10:38 PM
One of my biggest dreams right now is to have an AC game in an Asian setting, especially as a main game.

Namikaze_17
09-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Depends on how they write/ execute it really...

Last thing I want is some corrupted dynasty ruling China with an Iron fist until a random man with extraordinary skills so happens to take it all down.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a hater for the setting...I would support and actually buy the game if it came out.

My main issue is people constantly wanting it into AC expecting it to be the "Revolution" ( No pun intended) that this series so happens to desperately need. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but I'm just saying that I would'nt try to give China too much hype that it most likely won't live up to.

THIS IS! If China is the next setting...so disregard all I said. ^.^

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Maybeeee? I'm not sure what you mean by benefit. Every AC game sells a stupid amount each year. I would find an Asia setting really refreshing. Time we moved to the East I say.

Just in any way. Refreshing is a benefit IMO. It keeps it from getting same-y and stale. ACU looks fantastic gameplay wise and even the city is great. Another game like it with the same engine in a similar European city/nation wouldn't be as exciting as a new place with the exact same gameplay.

So yeah, just however you think it would benefit the series or even if you don't think it necessarily would benefit the series, do you want to visit.

Depends on how they write/ execute it really...

Last thing I want is some corrupted dynasty ruling China with an Iron fist until a random man with extraordinary skills so happens to take it all down.

Or the usual:

Assassins Vs. Samurai BS.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a hater for the setting...I would support and actually buy the game if it came out.

My main issue is people constantly wanting it into AC expecting it to be the "Revolution" ( No pun intended) that this series so happens to desperately need. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but I'm just saying that I would'nt try to give China too much hype that it most likely won't live up to.

THIS IS! If China is the next setting...so disregard all I said. ^.^

But...uh... Samurai are from Japan...

Megas_Doux
09-22-2014, 10:52 PM
It is my dream setting along with ancient mesopotamia.... It does NOT have to be Shao Jun, but please something.....

Namikaze_17
09-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Just in any way. Refreshing is a benefit IMO. It keeps it from getting same-y and stale. ACU looks fantastic gameplay wise and even the city is great. Another game like it with the same engine in a similar European city/nation wouldn't be as exciting as a new place with the exact same gameplay.

So yeah, just however you think it would benefit the series or even if you don't think it necessarily would benefit the series, do you want to visit.

But...uh... Samurai are from Japan...

^ Just realized that... ^.^

Editing right now...

pacmanate
09-22-2014, 10:54 PM
It is my dream setting along with ancient mesopotamia.... It does NOT have to be Shao Jun, but please something.....

Yeah, I don't get why people love Shao, she didn't really do much except for putting Ezios entire family in danger.

Bastiaen
09-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Yes, but I'm grateful for what we are getting.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-22-2014, 11:06 PM

Agreed. Actually, I've never wanted a Shao Jun game. I'd be fine with it but if they did, that means they'd be confined to the one time period she lives in which is perfectly acceptable but there are plenty of possible time periods.

That said, I still would want it to be a female Chinese Assassin. Just not Shao Jun necessarily hahaha

^ Just realized that... ^.^

Editing right now...

Just making sure haha

No worries. That's why I like China.. because the people who have been wanting Feudal Japan would more than likely be satisfied and it's just better than Japan for the type of gameplay AC has I think.

SixKeys
09-22-2014, 11:06 PM
China would have been a great change of pace for the main series, but now I'm doubtful it'll ever happen. I'm so pissed off about such potential being wasted on a "side dish" Season Pass thing that will probably last an hour or so. It feels like a slap in the face that it features Shao Jun, one of the fandom's most requested characters, arriving at the heels of the whole "no female assassins" debacle people have been talking about since E3. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am), but it almost feels like Ubi panicked after the huge backlash and went:

"Oh crap, we need a female assassin, quick! Do we have any ideas? Any at all?
-Well, there is this chick from Embers. She's pretty popular even though she only had a few minutes of screen-time.
-Perfect! Make an iOS game and put her in it! We can slap it on the Season Pass. See you in 2 weeks."

aznassassin159
09-22-2014, 11:11 PM
I'd buy a Japan/China Assassin's Creed in a heartbeat.

Journey93
09-22-2014, 11:14 PM
I agree completely OP
I'm sick of the 18th century and Europe& America as settings
China would be unique and refreshing !

Kakuzu745
09-22-2014, 11:15 PM
It will definitely benefit the series...from this point on AC China can only get better. You will see, this will be the introduction to a 3D China game if this gets popular enough :)

Namikaze_17
09-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Agreed. Actually, I've never wanted a Shao Jun game. I'd be fine with it but if they did, that means they'd be confined to the one time period she lives in which is perfectly acceptable but there are plenty of possible time periods.

That said, I still would want it to be a female Chinese Assassin. Just not Shao Jun necessarily hahaha

Just making sure haha

No worries. That's why I like China.. because the people who have been wanting Feudal Japan would more than likely be satisfied and it's just better than Japan for the type of gameplay AC has I think.

Agreed!

Plus I REALLY like the art that this guy does: http://chaoyuanxu.deviantart.com/art/Agent-of-Tang-Sect-481868597

LoyalACFan
09-22-2014, 11:47 PM
I've always thought AC would go to China at some point, and this DLC is not evidence of the contrary. Everybody chill.

China would have been a great change of pace for the main series, but now I'm doubtful it'll ever happen. I'm so pissed off about such potential being wasted on a "side dish" Season Pass thing that will probably last an hour or so. It feels like a slap in the face that it features Shao Jun, one of the fandom's most requested characters, arriving at the heels of the whole "no female assassins" debacle people have been talking about since E3. Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am), but it almost feels like Ubi panicked after the huge backlash and went:

"Oh crap, we need a female assassin, quick! Do we have any ideas? Any at all?
-Well, there is this chick from Embers. She's pretty popular even though she only had a few minutes of screen-time.
-Perfect! Make an iOS game and put her in it! We can slap it on the Season Pass. See you in 2 weeks."

Oh, I have no doubt it's partly damage control, but if it was really being done exclusively in response to the "no females" thing I feel like it would have been more connected to Unity. Why make a ton of new assets for a completely unconnected setting? Hell, it could have been an Elise DLC (I have to admit I was wrong on that front, I thought an Elise DLC was a no-brainer). I can't help but think that this is hinting at a future China game, not confirming its nonexistence. It probably won't star Shao, but she'll most likely be involved somehow (perhaps as the star's mentor or as the sort of legendary figure Altair was in AC2).

Sesheenku
09-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I'll be bitter if they let the series end without one quality China game in the regular 3D open worldish action game style of previous AC's.

ze_topazio
09-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Old Beijing

http://arthistorypi.org/media/uw/images/_span10/Yu-fig-1.09.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1264/1334758194_4eebf68064_z.jpg?zz=1
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7232/7211520984_6c8673c10a_o.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5119/7211579128_a991d7c253_o.jpg
http://oi60.tinypic.com/2drcbkg.jpg
http://oi60.tinypic.com/21aef0p.jpg

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-24-2014, 05:04 AM
Also how long have they teased (intentionally or otherwise) an Asian, or specifically China, setting?

The first game had a reference to Japan from 16's scribblings on the ground. It also had Chinese written on the walls.

Not sure if tere were any references in AC2/ACB but ACR mentions that the bombs came from China, no?

Embers featured a Chinese Assassin named Shao Jun

AC3 references China with the rope dart.

AC4 referenced China through the rope dart again as well as using fireworks or firecrackers (not sure which) as Adewale, if I'm not mistaken.

They've constantly referred to the Chinese Assassins and yet, nothing! I mean, no major release.

Syler99
09-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Yes it would be great if they did this with Jun starring or if not her then one of her top female agents. AC is known moreso for making the past alive via its high detailed recreations it makes the series unique in this regard a side scroller simply can't capture that appeal or effect. I'd reccommend we go to several towns, out into the mountains and country, and utilize this areas unique locals, river ways, and fighting styles maybe the player can choose adventurous styles to specialize in to gain moves and kills that would also incentive multiple playthroughs.

andreycvetov
09-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Imagine if in the end of this game they tease a new character ,that we will play with in the next big AC game (for example , we find out that Shao- jun has a sister and we play as her in the next game)

Xstantin
09-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Also how long have they teased (intentionally or otherwise) an Asian, or specifically China, setting?

The first game had a reference to Japan from 16's scribblings on the ground. It also had Chinese written on the walls.

Not sure if tere were any references in AC2/ACB but ACR mentions that the bombs came from China, no?

Embers featured a Chinese Assassin named Shao Jun

AC3 references China with the rope dart.

AC4 referenced China through the rope dart again as well as using fireworks or firecrackers (not sure which) as Adewale, if I'm not mistaken.

They've constantly referred to the Chinese Assassins and yet, nothing! I mean, no major release.

At this point AC games teased so many settings I wouldn't count on it.

JamesFaith007
09-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Honestly I'm little skeptical about Chinese setting.

Yes, Chinese architecture, culture and martial arts looks great. There is big potential for game play. But I'm missing here some historical event with strong freedom/liberty message typical for story of AC games.

AC2 had freedom of thinking in renaissance Florence.
AC3 had American colonies fighting for independence.
ACL and ACFC had fight against slavery.
AC4 had pirate republic in Nassau.
AC5 will have French revolution.

But history of feudal China wasn't about liberty and freedom, in fact it was mostly about concentration of power in hand of Emperor, rise of bureaucracy and unification of shattered region. This more looks like fulfilled dreams of Templars, similar to Rodrigo (Cesare) Borgia dream about united Italy, then some success of Assassins.

Sure, I would most probably buy this AC games but I'm afraid that such game would end up like nice looking, but empty shell.

SixKeys
09-25-2014, 12:04 AM

Yes, Chinese architecture, culture and martial arts looks great. There is big potential for game play. But I'm missing here some historical event with strong freedom/liberty message typical for story of AC games.

But history of feudal China wasn't about liberty and freedom, in fact it was mostly about concentration of power in hand of Emperor, rise of bureaucracy and unification of shattered region. This more looks like fulfilled dreams of Templars, similar to Rodrigo (Cesare) Borgia dream about united Italy, then some success of Assassins.

Sure, I would most probably buy this AC games but I'm afraid that such game would end up like nice looking, but empty shell.

Well, it could be a story with a dark ending. Shao Jun (or whoever) tries to create an uprising among the people against those with power, but ultimately fails due to Templar schemes. Achilles lived during a time when Templars wiped out almost the entire assassin order in North America and ACRO aims to show how that happened, supposedly.

JamesFaith007
09-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Well, it could be a story with a dark ending. Shao Jun (or whoever) tries to create an uprising among the people against those with power, but ultimately fails due to Templar schemes. Achilles lived during a time when Templars wiped out almost the entire assassin order in North America and ACRO aims to show how that happened, supposedly.

Well, we can hardly call eradication of Assassins in NA dark ending when our new hero is Templar. From his perspective it would another success. ;)

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-25-2014, 06:17 AM

And AC1's was...? A war for the Holy Land. No freedom involved aside from freeing your mind and transcending your knowledge. But that's not even remotely close to the other things. If the FIRST GAME didn't exactly have that theme, it's not like it's absolutely necessary to have that. Why does every story need some type of angle like that? You severely limit yourself in that case. Besides, Assassins always fight for freedom so they would be fighting the tyranny in China. Whether or not they win is decided by the real world events of China. And it's okay if not every game has a happy "we did it!" ending. In fact, even though AC3 ends with America gaining its independence... I wouldn't call it happy for Connor. We all know what the colonists did to his people and tribes like them. Everything he fought so hard for was twisted and abused. You can hear those exact sentiments in his cut monologue as well.

Why do you feel that the series HAS to have some sort of event that is in some way about freedom? Just because some of the others have? The fact that AC1 is about a war in the holy land is evidence to the contrary. Yes, you fight for freedom as you find out that the Templars want to establish a "New World Order" where they control the populace using the Piece of Eden but again... not the same thing. It could simply be set during a time of war. Or a time of corruption -- where things were relatively peaceful but behind closed doors were quite corrupt. Or... there's so many options they have. Saying they should follow some rigid example of having to have freedom is silly and limits what they can do with the franchise.

JamesFaith007
09-25-2014, 05:02 PM
And AC1's was...? A war for the Holy Land. No freedom involved aside from freeing your mind and transcending your knowledge. But that's not even remotely close to the other things. If the FIRST GAME didn't exactly have that theme, it's not like it's absolutely necessary to have that. Why does every story need some type of angle like that? You severely limit yourself in that case. Besides, Assassins always fight for freedom so they would be fighting the tyranny in China. Whether or not they win is decided by the real world events of China. And it's okay if not every game has a happy "we did it!" ending. In fact, even though AC3 ends with America gaining its independence... I wouldn't call it happy for Connor. We all know what the colonists did to his people and tribes like them. Everything he fought so hard for was twisted and abused. You can hear those exact sentiments in his cut monologue as well.

Why do you feel that the series HAS to have some sort of event that is in some way about freedom? Just because some of the others have? The fact that AC1 is about a war in the holy land is evidence to the contrary. Yes, you fight for freedom as you find out that the Templars want to establish a "New World Order" where they control the populace using the Piece of Eden but again... not the same thing. It could simply be set during a time of war. Or a time of corruption -- where things were relatively peaceful but behind closed doors were quite corrupt. Or... there's so many options they have. Saying they should follow some rigid example of having to have freedom is silly and limits what they can do with the franchise.

If first game didn't have such theme (or more accurately historically based theme, it was here in form of Apple), but ALL next main game to this date had it, it just mean that standards were set later. And AC1 was testing ground in more then one way, it was AC2 what set course for series with tighter attachment with real history and events. And because AC:Unity setting is obviously and undoubtedly chosen for its liberty theme again, I don't see assumption that they will stick to core story element of franchise in future too, silly at all.

And to your objection about happy endings... Yes, characters in previous game got their portion of bad thing but it was on personal level. Their bigger goal was always success.

Altair lost his wife and son and was exiled, yet he saved order in the end.
Ezio lost Christine, yet saved Florence against Savonarola.
Ezio killed innocent captain of yanizaries, yet his info helped him stop Templar plot.
Connor was forced to kill his friend and lost his tribe, yet prevented Templar from stealing US revolution.

If Ubisoft want AC games with bad ending then main character of AC:Rogue would be young Achilles Davenport, not Templar Shaye, because this change of perspective turns eradication of assassin order in Colonies to another players success.

king-hailz
09-25-2014, 05:33 PM
I've always wanted a china game, however they would have to spent at leat the amount of time the spent on acu since it will be one tough challenge... acu2 will be England since they can reuse a lot of things from acu...

DragonAddicted
09-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Definitely yes, I hope that Ubisoft will come with a 3D game with Shao Jun in it. Hopefully also for next gen.

Kakuzu745
09-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I think most people are willing to let Shao Jun go as long as they get a China game ;)

In my opinion Shao Jun's fanbase is not that strong (actually why would it be), but the China fanbase is probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest of the setups.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 04:56 PM
I think most people are willing to let Shao Jun go as long as they get a China game ;)

In my opinion Shao Jun's fanbase is not that strong (actually why would it be), but the China fanbase is probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest of the setups.

True, but most people expect Shao Jun because she was our first introduction into the Chinese assassin brotherhood. Teasing her as this revolutionary who met the legendary mentor Ezio in Embers and then having a China game without her would just be weird.

JustPlainQuirky
09-26-2014, 05:01 PM
I don't agree with OP's ideals.

but i could go for a standard AC China game.

Kakuzu745
09-26-2014, 09:25 PM
True, but most people expect Shao Jun because she was our first introduction into the Chinese assassin brotherhood. Teasing her as this revolutionary who met the legendary mentor Ezio in Embers and then having a China game without her would just be weird.

True, in the end it is easier to leverage the game with a "established" asset than you gambling with a new character. With this new look I actually would not mind her as the protagonist of a 3D game (hopefully set in China of course).

By the way, how old is she in Chronicles and how old was she in Embers? Does anyone know?

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 09:36 PM
She was 19 in Embers (born in 1505). I don't think it's known yet when Chronicles takes place.

Megas_Doux
09-26-2014, 09:51 PM
She was 19 in Embers (born in 1505). I don't think it's known yet when Chronicles takes place.

It is after Embers, but that is the only information as of now.

Kakuzu745
09-26-2014, 11:09 PM

Cool...that probably means we might see a lot more from her...especially if they ever decide to go 3d with the China setup.

SixKeys
09-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Cool...that probably means we might see a lot more from her...especially if they ever decide to go 3d with the China setup.

Unless she dies young.

GoldenBoy9999
09-26-2014, 11:41 PM
It is after Embers, but that is the only information as of now.

Actually, it's official that she's 21 now. Chronicles is set in 1526. Source: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/dlc/assassins-creed-unity-seasonpass.aspx?utm_source=ncsa_crm&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CTA2Pre-OrderNow&utm_campaign=PI-ASSU-NCSA-E-BC-140922#china

Megas_Doux
09-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Actually, it's official that she's 21 now. Chronicles is set in 1526. Source: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/dlc/assassins-creed-unity-seasonpass.aspx?utm_source=ncsa_crm&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CTA2Pre-OrderNow&utm_campaign=PI-ASSU-NCSA-E-BC-140922#china

Thanks bro!

GoldenBoy9999
09-27-2014, 12:03 AM
You're welcome! :D

Megas_Doux
09-27-2014, 12:05 AM
By the way, If we ever get to play Shao jun is a plus, I just want a game set in China.....

Kakuzu745
09-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Unless she dies young.

Now you are just being a party pooper ;)

Thx for the info!

By the way, If we ever get to play Shao jun is a plus, I just want a game set in China.....

Same here...Shao Jun was just an "obvious choice" but I do not see that many people overly enthusiastic because Shao is starring the game.