PDA

View Full Version : Does Unity have a shot at GOTY?

LoyalACFan
09-20-2014, 09:14 AM
I honestly think it does. The critics aren't usually extremely receptive of AC games, especially after they went annual, but TBH I'm expecting 8's and 9's for Unity (even the relatively poorly-received AC3 got mostly 8's) and this has actually been a pretty crappy year for AAA gaming. Rereleases and remasters galore. InFamous and Titanfall are the only other real contenders IMO (MGS5GZ had a shot but most people took issue with its length) so I think if Unity delivers it could easily take the crown this year.

poptartz20
09-20-2014, 09:45 AM
well.. on game informer AC3 received a 9.25/10 also not to mention on PSN it was awarded Game of the year. So it really depends on what you read or saw on the reception of AC3. Someone on Kotaku gave is a 9/10 while another person gave it a 6 or 7. ( Come to think of it.. just about all AC games get an 8) Also the year AC3 came out it competed with TLoU and Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite. Which were all pretty heavy hitters.

Now.. having said all this, I feel like Unity will have a chance because what is really out that will compete with it? I:SS? Watchdogs? Drive club? LB3? I just feel the odds are higher for it to win vs. other games. I still don't know if it will but it has a good shot at this point!

AherasSTRG
09-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Of all the games released this year, the only one that may (maybe, might, perhaps, mayhaps, if) come close to touching Unity is Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor. All the rest were mediocre.

EDIT: Plot twist: Rogue ends up winning the GOTY award... >.>

Megas_Doux
09-20-2014, 11:33 AM
well.. on game informer AC3 received a 9.25/10 also not to mention on PSN it was awarded Game of the year. So it really depends on what you read or saw on the reception of AC3. Someone on Kotaku gave is a 9/10 while another person gave it a 6 or 7. ( Come to think of it.. just about all AC games get an 8) Also the year AC3 came out it competed with TLoU and Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite. Which were all pretty heavy hitters.

Now.. having said all this, I feel like Unity will have a chance because what is really out that will compete with it? I:SS? Watchdogs? Drive club? LB3? I just feel the odds are higher for it to win vs. other games. I still don't know if it will but it has a good shot at this point!

Bioshock and TLoU came in 2013, and no way in sheol AC III had ANY chance of winning GOTY, those guys at gamepro were definitely high, AC III LOL!!!!!!!

The walking dead, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, and even Mass effect 3 with its trainwreck of an ending deserved it.

In fact, as a hardcore fan, I would NOT rank any AC so far above 9, may be AC IV, MAY BE.

pacmanate
09-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Unity does, AC3 DID.

We can't know until we play it. If Unity:

Has bad pace, shoves Arno everywhere, not enough side content, bunch of glitches, too much open land, bad story, bad character development, too short.

Then we're screwed! Point again being we can't know :p

LoyalACFan
09-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Unity does, AC3 DID.

We can't know until we play it. If Unity:

Has bad pace, shoves Arno everywhere, not enough side content, bunch of glitches, too much open land, bad story, bad character development, too short.

Then we're screwed! Point again being we can't know :p

True enough, but even if its reception is similar to AC3's (bit of a mixed bag ranging from 7s to 9s) I feel like it has a shot. It really has lame competition IMO, all the other good games slated for this fall got pushed back to 2015.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 01:53 PM
It has a high shot.

If Shadow of Mordor gets a 7 like I predict,then Unity might get GOTY.

Because other than Unity, what is there?

Destiny- meh
infamous SS- meh
Infamous fl- more meh
lightning returns- gross
the walking dead- episodic so not sure counts
metal gear gz- haha no
titanfall-meh
watch dogs- Meeeeeeeeh
wolf among us- same with twd
mario kart- too annual
smash bros- maybe. we'll see
murderd ss- pfft no
sims4- haahha nooooooo
shovel knight- maybe
naruto- doubt it
hyrule warriors- no

the only competition Unity has is

dragon age inquisition, far cry 4, smash bros, and maaaaaybe bayonetta 2 IMO

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-20-2014, 02:09 PM
I think it has a high chance. It looks promising.

All games technically do have a chance at being GOTY. It just depends on the critics and other criteria.

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Titanfall, Watch Dogs and Destiny will not get a game of the year award IMO. Unity will have competition with Far Cry 4, CoD Advanced Warfare, Shadow of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen, Alien Isolation, Fifa 15, AC Rogue (lol competition with itself), Driveclub, Forza Horizon, Borderlands Pre Sequel, Evil Within, Sunset Overdrive, The Crew, GTA Remaster, LBP 3, Dragon Age.... There are so many games coming out, it will be hard for Unity.

I hope it does though, its definitely my most anticipated title this year.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 02:11 PM
out of all those games, how many are multiplatform next gen only? (and not remasters)

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Also, if its possible for remasters to get GOTY, Last of Us will probably get it. I think Infamous Second Son was pretty well recieved as well which could have a chance.

out of all those games, how many are multiplatform next gen only? (and not remasters)

Just because some aren't next-gen only it doesn't mean they cant get the GOTY award. I think quite a lot of them are next-gen only, apart from Fifa, CoD, Far Cry, Dragon age and Mordor

king-hailz
09-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Well every game has a shot at being GOTY! However I don't think it will... I am sure far cry 4 will be better. Even though AC is my fav I have a really bad feeling for ACU!

However this is how I thinks the reviews will go!
IGN 8.5/10 Obviously
GS 8/10
and a couple more 8s with some 7s and 7.5s but it will rarely get a 9 maybe just one 9! No way will it get a 10!

Rogue will be exactly the same!

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm just saying since Unity is taking advantage of next gen only hardware, it will offer a new experience the other games can't compete with in a way.

So its chances are even higher for GOTY

@king

rogue will get a 7-7.8

mark my words.

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm just saying since Unity is taking advantage of next gen only hardware, it will offer a new experience the other games can't compete with in a way..

True, but it just depends on how well Ubisoft execute the game in terms of using the next-gen capabilities. For example, we know it will be graphically stunning, but that doesn't change the review score too much. We know Ubisoft are making massive crowds now as they are able to, but if these crowds act stupid and unintelligent, and start morphing every minute, reviews will penalise it. So really it just depends on how well Ubisoft use the capabilities, rather than them using them just for the sake of it.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 02:21 PM
but but but but SEAMLESSNESS

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Thou shall not speak of The Seamless One!

king-hailz
09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Naah it won't get a 9 or higher... It will get mostly 8.9s and below... rogue will be the same... since its being released on the same day.

It won't wing game of the year!

LoyalACFan
09-20-2014, 02:57 PM
I think it has a high chance. It looks promising.

All games technically do have a chance at being GOTY. It just depends on the critics and other criteria.

Well, not ALL games...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Rambo_The_Video_Game_cover_art.jpg

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 02:58 PM
yeah I see Unity gettin an 8.7

Fatal-Feit
09-20-2014, 03:00 PM
In fact, as a hardcore fan, I would NOT rank any AC so far above 9, may be AC IV, MAY BE.

Ditto.

-----------

Personally, with both Alex Amancio and the success of AC:IV in mind, I think Unity can pull it off.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Thinking it over, I wouldn't give any AC game a 9 or higher unless it had impressive/plot-progressive modern day, a highly investing ancestor story/world/cast of characters, and freakishly fun gameplay.

I have yet to play that AC.

Story+Presentation+Gameplay

the three pillars.

RinoTheBouncer
09-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Thinking it over, I wouldn't give any AC game a 9 or higher unless it had impressive/plot-progressive modern day, a highly investing ancestor story/world/cast of characters, and freakishly fun gameplay.

I have yet to play that AC.

Story+Presentation+Gameplay

the three pillars.

I agree, completely.
To me, Ezio’s trilogy is definitely a 10/10 material, and ACIII would’ve easily gotten 10/10 from me had the ending been done in a better way. I could even forget about all the shoehorning of historical events and mission design, as I ADORE the game, but the ending was beyond disappointing.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't give the Ezio trilogy a 10/10

even if they did the 3 pillars, I might not even give a ten.

because to me you have to go a step beyond to earn the final point of perfection to be considered a masterpiece.

It has to be EXTREMELY memorable for me.

I've only ever given 3 games a 10. Journey, SotC, and Portal 2.

dxsxhxcx
09-20-2014, 03:41 PM
IMO after AC went annual they gave up any chance they could've had to win the GOTY with it...

RinoTheBouncer
09-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't give the Ezio trilogy a 10/10

even if they did the 3 pillars, I might not even give a ten.

because to me you have to go a step beyond to earn the final point of perfection to be considered a masterpiece.

It has to be EXTREMELY memorable for me.

I've only ever given 3 games a 10. Journey, SotC, and Portal 2.

I gave a 10 to the Ezio Trilogy, Mass Effect Trilogy, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Shadow of Memories, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 03:51 PM
I personally wouldn't give TLoU a 10.

I know the entire world disagrees with me but...

Even though the presenation was phenominal, the gameplay is very 'safe' and standard. Nothing really innovative or unique about it IMO.

And to me, it was very predictable and unoriginal.

Not a masterpiece in my eyes, but I'm the minority in that debate.

Sushiglutton
09-20-2014, 04:11 PM
IMO after AC went annual they gave up any chance they could've had to win the GOTY with it...

This is my thinking as well. Don't think a yearly franchise has ever won (the majority of) GOTY. But ofc there's a first time for everything, nothing is impossible. There are a few upcoming competitors like FarCry 4, Alien Isolation, Evil Within, Shadow of Mordor. There's also a chance some sites will award indie games like Shovel Knight.

I dunno, I have a feeling Alien Isolation may do well because it has fantastic atmosphere/artstyle and it seems a bit different.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Evil Within is going to have poor reviews.

Shadow of Mordor will be meh.

Alien Isolation will be somewhere in between.

Callin' it now.

Far Cry 4, Smash Bros, and Dragon Age Inquisition are the only true competitiors IMO

And I think it'll really be a choice between this and Far Cry 4.

Since Dragon Age is more of a cult following thing and Smash Bros is a fighter.

Either way Ubi wins, lol.

Sushiglutton
09-20-2014, 04:16 PM
FarCry 4 will be meh, Smash Bros will be more of the same, Dragon Age will be crap.

Evil Within will be a cool. Shadow Of Mordor will be fantastic. Alien Isolation will be an artpiece.

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 04:18 PM
And to me, it was very predictable and unoriginal..

I don't think TLOU was predictable at all. The ending was absolutely not predictable and one which I will remember. I would give it a 10 for its execution. Whilst it might be an unoriginal story, the polish the game had, the emotional story telling and the level design and environments makes it a title worthy of a masterpiece. I do respect your opinion though.

The only games I would give a 10 (from the last generation) is Dishonored, Last of Us, Read Dead Redemption, and Batman: Arkham City

Fatal-Feit
09-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Sadly, I partially agree. AC is more keen on being a great franchise as a whole, than making individual masterpieces. Sometimes I feel like they're wasting good potential settings by rehashing old engine and game-play on them. It starts to come off as a re-skin than an actual change. And with all the unwanted exclusive ULC/DLCs nowadays, they don't have a chance at 10/10.

But with that said, these games don't have to be a masterpiece to be GOTY.

RafaelAuditore.
09-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I think of all the games this year, Unity has the best chances of winning the GOTY!
Destiny was a disappointment, Watch Dogs was another disappointment, Batman and The Witcher 3 will only release in 2015, Shadow of Mordor does not seem to be anything grandiose.

In my opinion the nominees the best game of the year are:
Assassin's Creed Unity
Far Cry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
and some other ...

Sushiglutton
09-20-2014, 04:21 PM
For the record I'm very excited for FarCry 4 :)

RinoTheBouncer
09-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Even though the presenation was phenominal, the gameplay is very 'safe' and standard. Nothing really innovative or unique about it IMO.

I agree that TLOU is not the best game in the world. But it’s probably the most worthy of getting a 10 among tons of crappy games released around that time, until this very moment. TLOU reminds me of Avatar movie. It’s story may not be the most original, yet the way it was presented was perfect. I found TLOU to be very character driven. The story was just there as a context, but it was all about how these characters change and adapt to this new post-apocalyptic world. It’s more of a historical tour in a post-apocalyptic world, than anything. I didn’t find the whole infection thing to be very original and new, but I did realize that it’s not the focus of the story.

We followed a man deal with the murder of his daughter, a new world, different people and adopting a survival lifestyle and if you think of it closely, there are no good guys and bad guys. We will all kill one another for survival. We just happened to see it from that person’s perspective. We also saw the story from the perspective of a child growing to be a teenager, hell even a woman in a matter of months, because of the world she lives in. She ridicules girl’s obsession with clothing, make up and dating because she doesn’t understand the world they lived in. That’s something I liked so much. It pictured characters up close more than many other games did.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 04:22 PM
@m4r

it was predictable to me. I totally called all of it.

I would give Dishonored a 8-9 maybe but I need to finish it first.

Haven't played RDR cuz no last gen console.

@sushi

IGN peeps said Evil Within was terrible from what they've seen/played.

@rino

i think Avatar is overrated. Unoriginal generic story with pretty visuals to carry it.

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 04:24 PM
@m4r

it was predictable to me. I totally called all of it.

I would give Dishonore a 8-9 maybe but I need to finish it first.

Haven't played RDR cuz no last gen console.

The ending was so thought provoking though. It was definitely not a generic ending. Read Dead Redemption is the other game that has a really thought provoking ending. And Dishonored is such a masterpiece on so many levels. Assassins Creed can learn ALOT from it. Despite saying this, AC is still my favourite series and I would probably rather it continue than getting sequels to the games that I consider a masterpiece lol

dxsxhxcx
09-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Sadly, I partially agree. AC is more keen on being a great franchise as a whole, than making individual masterpieces. Sometimes I feel like they're wasting good potential settings by rehashing old engine and game-play on them. It starts to come off as a re-skin than an actual change. And with all the unwanted exclusive ULC/DLCs nowadays, they don't have a chance at 10/10.

But with that said, these games don't have to be a masterpiece to be GOTY.

that's exactly what I think, if they ever win a GOTY award it'll certainly happen because of what it represents as a franchise as a whole than an individual case..

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 04:26 PM
@m4r

RDR had a great ending, yes. (i watched a walkthrough of it)

I didn't say TLoU had a generic ending, but a predictable one.

And yes masterpieces don't need annual releases.

AC is great for its overarching narrative IMO. Not for the individual games alone.

Megas_Doux
09-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Ezio's trilogy 10/10 as a whole?????? No.............

My 10/10 games have been:

Metal gear solid III : Snake Eater.
Final Fantasy VII.
Red dead Redemption.

9.5/10

Final Fantasy VIII.
The Last of Us.
Metal Gear Solid.
Silent Hill 2.
Shadow of the Colossus.

No AC has ever been close to any of those.... However if Unity deliverss it has the potential of being the first solid 9/10.

RinoTheBouncer
Regarding The Evil Within, Mayrice, I do agree that it’s not gonna be a hit. It might sell well the first week, but it will eventually end up being forgettable. I was really excited for it from the early trailers and all, but then when more got revealed, it felt like a mix and match of horror stories, one moment you have a psychopath butcher, then you have zombies, then you have a Silent Hill-like ravaged city, and then a monster emerging from blood and then we’re traversing through mirrors to run away from ghosts. So it feels like it lacks a certain theme.

DynastyEmpire
I hope a lot of you realize that Assassin's creed 3 was a 1st phase prototype, along with assassin's creed 4 black flag was a 2nd phase which was a great game and has excellent story and was worth playing too & now unity will be it's final phase as a beta since there are rift missions as a testing ground for future games.

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 04:29 PM
No AC has ever been close to any of those.... However if Unity deliverss it has the potential of being the first solid 9/10.

Lol how can you say that if it delivers it could be a 9? For all you know, it could be the perfect AC with great level design, a powerful story and it could be the first 9.5 AC game?
We really can't make assumptions as the game isn't out yet.

poptartz20
09-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Bioshock and TLoU came in 2013, and no way in sheol AC III had ANY chance of winning GOTY, those guys at gamepro were definitely high, AC III LOL!!!!!!.

HAHAH! OMG... that's totally right. I saw AC3 but was thinking about the year AC4 came out. gahh.. #fail.

while this is true to some sense. Imo I don't see the problem with being safe occasionally. TLoU was a large story and character driven game, I think may have been driving point. I personally have not come across a story such as that for gaming. and Loved it. Also when you think about it, not too many platformer games are "Innovative" anymore outside of indies. So I'm not sure what you would be looking for.I guess people could argue titanfall? haha but I couldn't take it seriously.

Avatar was FERNGULLY. For Grown ups. :|

dxsxhxcx
09-20-2014, 04:35 PM
AC is great for its overarching narrative IMO. Not for the individual games alone.

and now with a proper (modern day) protagonist gone IMO even this is questionable...

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 04:37 PM
@poptartz

it doesnt necessarily NEED to be innovative.

Just don't expect high praise from me if you don't put the extra effort to make the gameplay feel unique.

@dxs

ikr?

poptartz20
09-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Umm... okay! I can understand that!

Megas_Doux
09-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Lol how can you say that if it delivers it could be a 9? For all you know, it could be the perfect AC with great level design, a powerful story and it could be the first 9.5 AC game?
We really can't make assumptions as the game isn't out yet.

Two "reasons":

1 Ubisoft has NEVER excelled in terms of story telling and writing.
2 Although Paris has the potential to be the best city so far, I doubt I can have within one single map the same feeling of "freedom" and adventure I experienced in AC IV. In which the mere act of traveling meant having the possibility of plundering ships, forts and plantations, and many other activities. One of the best "worlds" to date.

m4r-k7
09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Two "reasons":

1 Ubisoft has NEVER excelled in terms of story telling and writing.
2 Although Paris has the potential to be the best city so far, I doubt I can have within one single map the same feeling of "freedom" and adventure I experienced in AC IV. In which the mere act of traveling meant having the possibility of plundering ships, forts and plantations, and many other activities. One of the best "worlds" to date.

1. Kind of true, although this might be an exception. Just because they never excel in it doesn't mean they will never excel in the future. This is their first pure next-gen open world game remember, giving them opportunities to get better at story telling.

2. Just because there may be less "freedom" doesn't make a game better or worse. Unity could have phenomenal side content for all we know.

I either think the game will flop or it will be a massive success. I don't think it will be in the middle. Of course the game isn't out yet so anything is possible.

GoldenBoy9999
09-20-2014, 06:43 PM
I think Unity will get a 8.75 at the least from GI but I think it'll get a 9. They gave AC4 a low score so this one will probably be higher.

Far Cry 4's vertical slice didn't show enough new things for me and didn't interest me as much although I was hoping to be more greatly impressed. I think with this said, ACU has a pretty good chance to get GOTY from at least one or more game journalist sites.

marvelfannumber
09-20-2014, 06:55 PM
2 Although Paris has the potential to be the best city so far, I doubt I can have within one single map the same feeling of "freedom" and adventure I experienced in AC IV.

Well there are actually 3 maps in Unity and not 1, but I am not allowed to tell you where I got that from *shify eyes*.

Hans684
09-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Well there are actually 3 maps in Unity and not 1, but I am not allowed to tell you where I got that from *shify eyes*.

We've been talking about legacy outfits, disguise ability(it even has an unlocked thread) and other stuff from that video for weeks now without them loosing their minds, it's only when we say leak or hits about any leaks we get a reaction.

DumbGamerTag94
09-20-2014, 07:13 PM
I just have this strong gut feeling that Unity will feature:
Paris
Versailles
And Vendee

Idk why.....it just makes sense somehow historically ya know ;) :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 07:15 PM
well Versailles was already confirmed a while ago...

GoldenBoy9999
09-20-2014, 07:16 PM
We've been talking about legacy outfits, disguise ability(it even has an unlocked thread) and other stuff from that video for weeks now without them loosing their minds, it's only when we say leak or hits about any leaks we get a reaction.

Whaaaat? The disguise ability was from a video? I thought people just assumed that's what it was. If you look back at the first page of the disguise thread, you'll see the comment I made regarding the skill and to this day I haven't seen the video. I was just speculating that but I guess I was right.

You mods are doing a pretty good job hiding leaks because I haven't been able to see it :(. I really want to see it now. *googles*

HiddenKiller612
09-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Yep... the game starts in Versailles

rprkjj
09-20-2014, 07:20 PM
It has a high shot.

If Shadow of Mordor gets a 7 like I predict,then Unity might get GOTY.

Because other than Unity, what is there?

Destiny- meh
infamous SS- meh
Infamous fl- more meh
lightning returns- gross
the walking dead- episodic so not sure counts
metal gear gz- haha no
titanfall-meh
watch dogs- Meeeeeeeeh
wolf among us- same with twd
mario kart- too annual
smash bros- maybe. we'll see
murderd ss- pfft no
sims4- haahha nooooooo
shovel knight- maybe
naruto- doubt it
hyrule warriors- no

the only competition Unity has is

dragon age inquisition, far cry 4, smash bros, and maaaaaybe bayonetta 2 IMO

... So I take it you haven't played any of those games?

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 07:24 PM
... So I take it you haven't played any of those games?

I have played every single one of them.

With exception of TWD (I watched those) and the unreleased games ofc.

DumbGamerTag94
09-20-2014, 07:24 PM

I know this but they never were clear as to if it's a full thing. Or if it's just for a sequence like Monterrigioni in ACB.

I'm saying they will all be fully explorable and playable whenever you want cities. And the third isn't official ATM.

I was being sarcastic about it because I'm fairly confident of these claims........on account of.........how up to date I keep myself on info lol ;)

Xstantin
09-20-2014, 07:26 PM
This year is weird. 2015 will be more interesting.
But I think Unity has a chance if the game delivers.

marvelfannumber
09-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Versailles is also split in two (one map being the town, one being the palace) for some reason. I assume the reason is to give the palace a full interior while not affecting the performance?

I dunno.

Hans684
09-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Whaaaat? The disguise ability was from a video? I thought people just assumed that's what it was. If you look back at the first page of the disguise thread, you'll see the comment I made regarding the skill and to this day I haven't seen the video. I was just speculating that but I guess I was right.

You mods are doing a pretty good job hiding leaks because I haven't been able to see it :(. I really want to see it now. *googles*

Indeed it was, it showed Arno morphing. That's how the skill worked but since I've directly told them it is from a leak by making that post, I suspect it will be closed(sorry). They seem to take some liberties from their own rule until someone says leak.

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 07:36 PM
C'mon guys don't bring up the l-word.

Don't want to anger big brother.

Hans684
09-20-2014, 07:40 PM
C'mon guys don't bring up the l-word.

Don't want to anger big brother.

I have it in my signature.
http://cuteprogramming.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/meme-i-also-like-to-live-dangerously.png

sem1rek
09-20-2014, 08:25 PM
South Park: The Stick of Truth for the win! :rolleyes:

pacmanate
09-20-2014, 08:44 PM
South Park: The Stick of Truth for the win! :rolleyes:
Haven't seen you around before! Welcome!

Shahkulu101
09-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Possible candidate this year due to a pretty barren year in terms of really good games. I'd put my money on Far Cry 4, Unity and Mordor.

Also don't be surprised if Mario Kart ends up taking the award home. I don't think Infamous was good enough personally, not a particularly strong narrative and fun but repetitive gameplay. TWD S2 just paled in comparison to 2012's rightful game of the year, TWD S1. So that's definitely not in with a shot.

Man compared to 2013 this year hasn't been great...

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Yeah 2013 was a great year.

2014 is eh because of transfer to new console gen I reckon

Sushiglutton
09-20-2014, 08:52 PM
2015 is looking like another great year (Arkham, Witcher, GTA V PC, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Dying Light, Bloodborne, MGS V etc)

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 08:54 PM
A lot of those games will get delayed to 2016 I bet.

But great year nevertheless

Sushiglutton
09-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Maybe, many of them have allready been delayed though. But yeah it will perhaps feel like the first real next-gen year?

JustPlainQuirky
09-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah it will be the start of next gen.

Wont be full transfer until 2016 me thinks

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Honestly? Yeah. Even if there had been better games this year this game looks pretty great. As long as they deliver on everything OR even just most of the promises... that'll do the trick.

Journey93
09-21-2014, 12:21 AM
it looks good but not GOTY material for that Ubi really needs to take a few years break and surprise everyone with someting new and unqiue
no doubt Unity will be a good game (like all the Ac titles minus Liberation) though

for me it definitely won't be GOTY there are much more interesting games coming (Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition, both day one buy)
games that actually evolve the series (like DA:I and TW3 and last year GTA V) and take their time instead of every year the same
the AC's games are still fun but hardly something to get too excited about

zkorejo
09-21-2014, 10:35 AM
If we dont count the remastered versions and I hope they are not contenders (GTA V and TLOUR), then yea I guess it does have a shot.

ACU needs to deliver, if it does deliver all the things that have been promised so far, it definitely is a contender. It can beat Infamous SS, Titanfall, Destiny. Upcoming game Shadow of Mordor doesnt have enough content other than nemesis system, it seems like the only thing going around for it is that.

The only games that could challenge Unity in 2014 are Dragon Age Inquisition and maybe Farcry 4.

DynastyEmpire
09-21-2014, 05:50 PM
it looks good but not GOTY material for that Ubi really needs to take a few years break and surprise everyone with someting new and unqiue
no doubt Unity will be a good game (like all the Ac titles minus Liberation) though

for me it definitely won't be GOTY there are much more interesting games coming (Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition, both day one buy)
games that actually evolve the series (like DA:I and TW3 and last year GTA V) and take their time instead of every year the same
the AC's games are still fun but hardly something to get too excited about

I don't see how it is not game of the year material, it can be, we can't say anything negative just because of graphics, we don't even know how the story and the locations & design will be at this point until launch & it's kind a silly to acompare to grand theft auto when they don't even have other locations to explore other than same locations over and over and as for dragon age i can't say anything about it.

so let's be fair by not judging this game without any info, it's good that this game is current gen only because it's time for games to start using the current gen: ps4 & xb1 hardware.

by the way multiple form sales of games don't make game of the year, having great stories due and shadow of mordor has potiental as well.

If we dont count the remastered versions and I hope they are not contenders (GTA V and TLOUR), then yea I guess it does have a shot.

ACU needs to deliver, if it does deliver all the things that have been promised so far, it definitely is a contender. It can beat Infamous SS, Titanfall, Destiny. Upcoming game Shadow of Mordor doesnt have enough content other than nemesis system, it seems like the only thing going around for it is that.

The only games that could challenge Unity in 2014 are Dragon Age Inquisition and maybe Farcry 4.

Remastered verisons of gtav & lourd don't count, they already got one, new games will get them.

wolfenstein the new order will probably get one, middle earth shadow of mordor will defiantly get one & acu will defiantly get one & possibly farcry 4 & dragon age.

Acu & Shadow of mordor will be equal due to the fact they are both exclusive to current gen only systems like ps4 & xb1, even though shadow of mordor is o ps3 & 360, but those ports won't have anything, if you saw the livestream of shadow of mordor yesterday, there's this one player made it look so easy to play, so acu & shadow of mordor will be great games and excellent story too(hopefully).

as for titanfall, watch dogs & destiny they will probably not, but they will make it to list, but i'm sure they won't get much rewards due to the overhypeness of it.

So really they will be equal and possibly farcry 4 will to. as for cod, no. it went downhill since mw2 to let you know that.

i do hope myself that acu will deliver and same for shadow of mordor, they will both be a chore to play, plus unity is like a testing ground beta type thing due to the rift missions and such.

andreycvetov
09-21-2014, 06:29 PM
I just want one ac to be praised as the best game of the year,like when someone says you remember year xxxx and he says ,yeah ac was the best, had no competition .

pacmanate
09-21-2014, 09:24 PM
I just want one ac to be praised as the best game of the year,like when someone says you remember year xxxx and he says ,yeah ac was the best, had no competition .

That could very well be this year unless Shadow of Mordor ends up being a "Sleeping Dog".

Helforsite
09-21-2014, 10:38 PM
That could very well be this year unless Shadow of Mordor ends up being a "Sleeping Dog".

http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/13/df/13df21_3401177.jpg

pacmanate
09-21-2014, 10:42 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/13/df/13df21_3401177.jpg

I don't see what that has to do with my post...

I think you just wanted to post that picture.

Helforsite
09-21-2014, 10:52 PM
I don't see what that has to do with my post...

I think you just wanted to post that picture.

RETREAT! They know our tactics... sorry my flair for the dramatic couldnt be cotained.

In my opinion it's a battle between ACU and Shadow of Mordor where the outcome depends on how close to the expectations the games come. I mean the gameplay I have seen from both games look really great and the Nemesis, but I think the most deciding factor will be how good the story will be in the games especially because in both the Assassin's Creed franchise and the Middleearth franchise the story is key to everthing!

STDlyMcStudpants
09-22-2014, 12:22 AM
I honestly think it does. The critics aren't usually extremely receptive of AC games, especially after they went annual, but TBH I'm expecting 8's and 9's for Unity (even the relatively poorly-received AC3 got mostly 8's) and this has actually been a pretty crappy year for AAA gaming. Rereleases and remasters galore. InFamous and Titanfall are the only other real contenders IMO (MGS5GZ had a shot but most people took issue with its length) so I think if Unity delivers it could easily take the crown this year.
No..because it has a stigma around it and there is no hype around Unity.... AC3 was their last chance.. AC V will be their next chance
Unity will do well, but everyone will brush over it like they always do

Dark Souls 2
Shovel Knight
Child of Light
South Park Stick of Truth
Far Cry 4
Shadow of Mordor
The Crew
Unity
Dragonage Inquisition

Shovel Knight and Child of Light will sweep

Shahkulu101
09-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Child of Pretentious ****e

STDlyMcStudpants
09-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Child of Pretentious ****e

lmao. I always root for AC
But I think they made a mistake by not calling Unity AC V
idc about it being a new everything... AC V will sell more than AC Unity on name alone
ACRo is just lazy.
I'll be reviewing both.. I'm already prepared to just rip Rogue apart lmfao

Shahkulu101
09-22-2014, 12:33 AM
They've dropped numbers I think, otherwise Unity would be called ACV. It has all the ingredients of a numbered game - new setting and MC - yet it's not numbered. That leads me to believe they are just going to go with subtitles from now on.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-22-2014, 12:35 AM
They've dropped numbers I think, otherwise Unity would be called ACV. It has all the ingredients of a numbered game - new setting and MC - yet it's not numbered. That leads me to believe they are just going to go with subtitles from now on.

Kind of Like POP
But its going to just lead to confusion lol

roostersrule2
09-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if it went to GTA V Remastered or TLOU Remastered, they're probably the two best games that have or are being released this year.

Unity, like AC2 will probably be nominated a lot but wont win much.

AC never does.

Shahkulu101
09-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Kind of Like POP
But its going to just lead to confusion lol

Better that than 'Oh that game with like a gazillion sequels lel."

I think they are just trying to make every new game a viable starting point anyway, so it won't matter much if most people haven't played the previous games.

Wouldn't surprise me if it went to GTA V Remastered or TLOU Remastered, they're probably the two best games that have or are being released this year.

Unity, like AC2 will probably be nominated a lot but wont win much.

AC never does.

IMO remastered games should be exempt. How can the same game win an award twice?

roostersrule2
09-22-2014, 12:45 AM
They probably should be, but it'd be kinda funny.

However if a remastered game is the best that year, technically it should get the award.

Kakuzu745
09-22-2014, 01:35 AM
Unity will probably get a nomination at least...I mean we already got some contenders that disappointed big time.

Tbh if a remastered game gets GOTY...we are doomed (although I know both are great game) haha.

Landruner
09-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Honestly, I do not want to sound like a sardonic but thole, who really cares if ACU is going to be GOTY or not ?

My point is like AC4 that games (ACU) won't be any longer supported or endorsed by Ubisoft 3 months post its release, and you guys, no offense, but you all will be focused about ACU2 or whatever the sequel can be or would be. - Even if the game could be bad your guys are waiting for the next one no matter what like it seems to be every year.

Consequently and honestly, who really cares if ACU is going to be good enough for a GOTY appellation or not? ACU is going to be a generically franchised AC game like the past one. Forgiven but not forgotten like it was for the previous ones, and Ubisoft will tell us then, that the next AC is going to be better, like usual.

After all, no matter what some may say or think, Ubisoft is very lucky to have such a faithful fan base for that franchise - Factor 5 did not get that for its Lair

STDlyMcStudpants
09-22-2014, 06:32 AM
Honestly, I do not want to sound like a sardonic but thole, who really cares if ACU is going to be GOTY or not ?

My point is like AC4 that games (ACU) won't be any longer supported or endorsed by Ubisoft 3 months post its release, and you guys, no offense, but you all will be focused about ACU2 or whatever the sequel can be or would be. - Even if the game could be bad your guys are waiting for the next one no matter what like it seems to be every year.

Consequently and honestly, who really cares if ACU is going to be good enough for a GOTY appellation or not? ACU is going to be a generically franchised AC game like the past one. Forgiven but not forgotten like it was for the previous ones, and Ubisoft will tell us then, that the next AC is going to be better, like usual.

After all, no matter what some may say or think, Ubisoft is very lucky to have such a faithful fan base for that franchise - Factor 5 did not get that for its Lair

DLC on a disc.. thats why... id kill for AC3 and TOKW on one disc lol

LoyalACFan
09-22-2014, 07:00 AM

Usually I don't care about GOTY awards, but I think a few glowing reviews and GOTY wins could erase the stigma of annualization that's been dogging the franchise since Revelations. That is, if Unity really deserves them. Looks great so far, but I've been duped before.

lmao. I always root for AC
But I think they made a mistake by not calling Unity AC V
idc about it being a new everything... AC V will sell more than AC Unity on name alone
ACRo is just lazy.
I'll be reviewing both.. I'm already prepared to just rip Rogue apart lmfao

There will never be an AC5, and it's better that way. Ubi dropped the numbers for the same reason COD did, after a while it's basically like advertising the fact that your franchise is milked. Just look at all the sneers Final Fantasy gets for having a grab bag of Roman numerals after its title (let alone XIII-2). Hell, we'd already be on Assassin's Creed 8 if they kept the numbers and counted Rogue.

I remain convinced that the only reason Black Flag got a numeral was because they wanted to distance themselves from AC3, and not have fans thinking it was a Brotherhood-style spinoff (which it kinda was, but I digress).

Farlander1991
09-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Subtitles are just better for human perception as well.
When there will be 15 AC games, if you ask "Have you played Assassin's Creed 9?" the general response of a non-die hard fan (i.e. most people that are not on these forums) would be "Which one was it again?", while if you ask "Have you played Assassin's Creed: Shogun?" people will be like, "Oh the Feudal Japan one, I've been meaning to buy it".

LoyalACFan
09-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Subtitles are just better for human perception as well.
When there will be 15 AC games, if you ask "Have you played Assassin's Creed 9?" the general response of a non-die hard fan (i.e. most people that are not on these forums) would be "Which one was it again?", while if you ask "Have you played Assassin's Creed: Shogun?" people will be like, "Oh the Feudal Japan one, I've been meaning to buy it".

To be fair, I don't think generic titles like Brotherhood, Revelations, Unity, and Rogue will be helping their case in that respect. Black Flag was the only one that really evoked its uniqueness from other titles, even though I didn't really care for it as a title.

SlyTrooper
09-22-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm hoping Shadow of Mordor will get game of the year so Monolith make it into a series, so I hope not.

Kakuzu745
09-22-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm hoping Shadow of Mordor will get game of the year so Monolith make it into a series, so I hope not.

What if SoM sucks? As I think ti will :S

Fatal-Feit
09-22-2014, 04:54 PM
SoM looks great, but not GOTY. It doesn't seem to have an identity.

But I would laugh if it did.

SlyTrooper
09-22-2014, 10:08 PM

You are kidding me? It looks great. Everything I've seen just looks brilliant.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-22-2014, 10:13 PM
You are kidding me? It looks great. Everything I've soon just looks brilliant.

Gotta agree with you. It's one of the few games attempting a somewhat next gen idea (since consoles now have the power) -- ACU looks amazing and the best refinement of what the series was originally supposed to be while including numerous aspects from the subsequent installments. I'm not convinced they're doing anything NEW.

SoM's nemesis system is trying. And while I highly doubt it will be truly AMAZING, the idea of it is solid and could only get better. A similar idea is being worked on by Ken Levine with his new project as well so it's cool to see devs looking at new ideas that are interesting and dynamic and provide more player agency. I doubt it will do exactly what it set out to do but it's neat regardless and the gameplay looks great. The protagonist is rather generic-y and doesn't look the best but regardless, it looks nice.

pacmanate
09-22-2014, 10:15 PM

I doubt Nolan North and Troy Baker would even audition if they thought it sucked

SlyTrooper
09-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Gotta agree with you. It's one of the few games attempting a somewhat next gen idea (since consoles now have the power) -- ACU looks amazing and the best refinement of what the series was originally supposed to be while including numerous aspects from the subsequent installments. I'm not convinced they're doing anything NEW.

SoM's nemesis system is trying. And while I highly doubt it will be truly AMAZING, the idea of it is solid and could only get better. A similar idea is being worked on by Ken Levine with his new project as well so it's cool to see devs looking at new ideas that are interesting and dynamic and provide more player agency. I doubt it will do exactly what it set out to do but it's neat regardless and the gameplay looks great. The protagonist is rather generic-y and doesn't look the best but regardless, it looks nice.

Unity doesn't need to innovate. AC needs to get the core mechanics working & then they can do that.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Usually I don't care about GOTY awards, but I think a few glowing reviews and GOTY wins could erase the stigma of annualization that's been dogging the franchise since Revelations. That is, if Unity really deserves them. Looks great so far, but I've been duped before.

There will never be an AC5, and it's better that way. Ubi dropped the numbers for the same reason COD did, after a while it's basically like advertising the fact that your franchise is milked. Just look at all the sneers Final Fantasy gets for having a grab bag of Roman numerals after its title (let alone XIII-2). Hell, we'd already be on Assassin's Creed 8 if they kept the numbers and counted Rogue.

I remain convinced that the only reason Black Flag got a numeral was because they wanted to distance themselves from AC3, and not have fans thinking it was a Brotherhood-style spinoff (which it kinda was, but I digress).

I disagree.
I believe unity is called unity for the same reason brotherhood was called brotherhood.
It's a sort of spin off game.
We've never had a co op AC before just like we never had a MP ac before...
They didn't place the number so it seems skippable down the line JUST INCASE everyone hates it hahahaha
AC V will happen.. next year ;D
If it doesnt happen then AC V will happen in x ammount of years and will be the finale
Perhaps the 10 year anniversary?
Watch_Dogs didnt get the round of applause expected.. but neither did the original AC....
Sadly I think Watch_Dogs is here to replace AC just like AC was here to replace POP

pacmanate
09-22-2014, 10:56 PM
I disagree.
I believe unity is called unity for the same reason brotherhood was called brotherhood.
It's a sort of spin off game.
We've never had a co op AC before just like we never had a MP ac before...
They didn't place the number so it seems skippable down the line JUST INCASE everyone hates it hahahaha

Actually, other peoples reasonings make more sense. AC4 has a number because it closed Desmond's saga.

Now we have moved on from Desmond so no numbers.

dimbismp
09-22-2014, 11:01 PM
I wish there was only ONE GOTY award....This way,it would be more important and fun.
Much like the Balon D'Or in football.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Actually, other peoples reasonings make more sense. AC4 has a number because it closed Desmond's saga.

Now we have moved on from Desmond so no numbers.

it doesnt need to make sense lol

SolidSage
09-23-2014, 03:41 AM
Shouldn't this thread be asking if Unity has GOTY locked up? "A chance"? Seriously?

DynastyEmpire
09-28-2014, 12:47 AM
It's battle of Middle earth shadow of mordor vs assassin's creed unity.

So it begins.

i been seeing alot of shadow of mordor footage and i am impressed and i am impressed with the livestream that was shown the other day and that one guy made it look so easy, lol. they played it for close to one & half hour.

i already seen enough footage for assassin's creed unity and it's surprises that is has like: rift missions, season pass,heists & brotherhood missions which you can play alone or should i say as a lonewolf, lol.

So what you think who wins game of the year 2014?

JustPlainQuirky
09-28-2014, 12:56 AM
already a thread on this.

I-Like-Pie45
09-28-2014, 12:57 AM
GTAV Remastered

cause its Rockstar

ze_topazio
09-28-2014, 12:57 AM
Rogue

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 12:59 AM
Had you asked me a week ago, I'd have completely written off Mordor, but that game is getting MUCH better reviews than I predicted.

I-Like-Pie45
09-28-2014, 01:03 AM
I smell collusion on that one.