PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to Ubisoft

DavTho75
09-19-2014, 03:43 AM
I must say that I am rather disappointed in the Mature rating for Unity. I have enjoyed your games and have been a huge fan since your first Tom Clancy game. I feel the content you have put in the game to earn the mature rating is unnecessary to the game. What does a conversation about bestiality have to do with the story? I know you guys could care less and my venting here will not change anything. I will not be shelling out my money on games that include such content just for the heck of it. I expect this from rockstar but not from you. I have canceled my preorders for both assassins games coming out.

thanks for listening.

JustPlainQuirky
09-19-2014, 04:02 AM
pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttt

lolololol

D.I.D.
09-19-2014, 04:13 AM
I was prepared to forgive the twerking and oil painted selfies, but I can't be the only person who found the fleshlights incongruous with the setting of the French Revolution. Disgusted.

locketcoket
09-19-2014, 04:30 AM
I must say that I am rather disappointed in the Mature rating for Unity. I have enjoyed your games and have been a huge fan since your first Tom Clancy game. I feel the content you have put in the game to earn the mature rating is unnecessary to the game. What does a conversation about bestiality have to do with the story? I know you guys could care less and my venting here will not change anything. I will not be shelling out my money on games that include such content just for the heck of it. I expect this from rockstar but not from you. I have canceled my preorders for both assassins games coming out.

thanks for listening.

I think your freaking out over nothing. It dialogue, and more than likely an antagonist's dialogue before we kill him.

MnemonicSyntax
09-19-2014, 04:32 AM

thanks for listening.

Oh goodness. Murdering in cold blood is fine but discussion of bestiality is where the line is drawn?

All Assassin's Creed games that haven't been on a cell phone are rated M.

Aphex_Tim
09-19-2014, 07:07 AM
could care less

Why does nobody ever get this right?

Farlander1991
09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Why does nobody ever get this right?

Because they couldn't care less? :p

LoyalACFan
09-19-2014, 07:26 AM

heh

I don't understand why a passing mention of bestiality is off-limits while gruesome, graphic murders are pretty much the entire point of the game, but... OK

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-19-2014, 08:40 AM
What conversation about bestiality are they even referring to?

But yeah -- stupid. It's like everyone who complains about cussing or nudity cause now they can't let their kid watch. If you were going to let them watch you gun down and run through people whil hacking PERSONAL INFO about them... you have your priorities organized incorrectly.

MickyDaLips
09-19-2014, 10:48 AM
I like games to handle mature themes, I wish they did more of it. However, the OP is certainly entitled to express his opinion without ridicule.

An interesting point for me tho, is what is termed the moral zeigeist, looking into how morals and standards of what is acceptable shift over time. Some people invariably assume that standards are constantly dropping, whereas in actuality they're merely changing, and often for the better.

An example may be in swearing, there has been almost a complete reversal over a few generations over what language is considered acceptable. The F word is now acceptable in TV programs, highbrow daily newspapers etc, whilst racist terms like the N word are unacceptable. (and righly so) A few decades ago you would never hear or read the F word in mainstream media, but what you would see liberally thrown around were derogatory terms for people of non-caucasian origin or culture, or people of non-mainstream sexuality.

As to bestiality fitting into the AC Unity story, pamphlets were produced and disseminated accusing Marie Antionette of this and incest, I haven't seen the actual news about this story beyond the OP's post here, but maybe it ties into that?

It will be interesting to see how the theme is handled, I'm pretty sure it won't adversly effect me to the point where my dog needs to be worried, but then again I have an ugly dog.

ze_topazio
09-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Bestiality? wtf? does Arno relief his stress with sheep or something?

AherasSTRG
09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
The game got an M rating because the game depicts extreme scenes of violence, eg heads on pikes and a guy drowning in his own blood. The talk about beastiality was simply an added point to strengthen the belief of the ESRB members, that the game had to be characterised M for Mature.

In fact, all the other AC games were violent enough to be characterised M for Mature and Unity is even more violent than that. How one is disappointed that ESRB are doing their jobs is beyond my understanding.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-19-2014, 11:34 AM
I know you guys think this may sound silly but it really sucks when you are younger and you cant purchase or play a game because of that random nudity scene. violence is much more acceptable in todays world when it come to media and culture in general. I mean games like far cry and red dead redemption are freaking awesome but I have sadly yet to play any of them because of that random nudity scene. I understand games like gta having them because it is throughout the whole thing................... but why does there have to be that scene!

I assume it stinks for women as well. I mean can you imagine having to look at a mans no-no area out of nowhere?

Aphex_Tim
09-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Oh you clever bastard you :p

MickyDaLips
09-19-2014, 11:59 AM
I know you guys think this may sound silly but it really sucks when you are younger and you cant purchase or play a game because of that random nudity scene.

It doesn't sound silly, but I think you haven't thought it through :)

If games/films were changed to a level where you could buy them, what about people who're younger than you and are in the position you are in now? Ratings would have to be continually lowered so everything was rated for three year olds.

There's also a perception that M ratings are sought for commercial purposes, often even U rated films will have a slight cuss thrown in to get a PG rating rather than a U, which believe it or not often has a negative impact on views.

So yeah, there's probably some gratuitious nudity/swearing/violence across all media in an attempt to boost popularity, but the flip side would be all media being forced into no violence, no swearing and no nudity. Not what I'd want as an adult, and when you are, you'll probably feel the same.

And adulthood will come around quick enough even tho it doesn't seem like it now, you too can end up sounding like your dad!

D.I.D.
09-19-2014, 12:20 PM
I assume it stinks for women as well. I mean can you imagine having to look at a mans no-no area out of nowhere?

This is the best thing I've ever heard on here.

Seriously though, the violence ensures the M rating. You might think you've seen worse things in a teen-rated film but 1) you probably haven't, or haven't seen the violence at this frequency, and 2) even if you think you have, the dividing line is player action. It's one thing to passively watch violence, but the ratings for games have to take into account that you are "doing" these things.

Once the game has the M rating, it might as well explore other things that it couldn't with a lower rated game. They're pretty subtle with it, all things considered. They've never gone nuts and been luridly exploitative. There are the occasional flashes of things that some people find objectionable.

HiddenKiller612
09-19-2014, 02:07 PM
After years of killing people, simple talk of bestiality is where you draw the line? LMFAO. This is like people who posted about sex scenes in Black Flag because they didn't want their little brother to see it... but the violence was perfectly ok. People need to get their priorities straight.

UbiJustin
09-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Hey DavTho75,

Thanks a lot for your opinion. Unfortunately, due to the creative process and in order to accurately depict the historic brutality of the time of the French Revolution, there are some scenes and actions that may not be suitable for younger gamers as determined by the ESRB.

Now, I'm not sure about your "conversation about beastiality" line. While I have not played the game, I don't believe Arno is into goats. He's more into redheads. ;)

I'm going to close this thread to prevent further trolling. Please be respectful of others' opinions, including those opinions of users who may be new to the forums/game.

Cheers!

Johkr