PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag on high settings

GeorgeLazu
09-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Hey, what PC should i get to run AC black flag on ultra settings with at least 40 fps?

I'm thinking of getting a AMD FX 8350, 8GB RAM @ 1600MHz, but i do not know what video card to get.
I want to play at 1600x900 resolution.

What card do you recommend? Not too expensive please. [something around $180]

Also, i'd like to run Unity on medium settings [with at least 30 fps].

Remember that 1600x900 is my max resolution. My display won't go further.

UbiVolfbane
09-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Due to the many different computers, builds and components when building a computer I'd suggest checking the system requirements here: https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ.aspx?platformid=9&brandid=22&productid=4186&faqid=kA030000000eakpCAA . I would also suggest contacting a local computer store to see if they can help you get good deals on any parts. To ensure higher quality, you'd want a stronger processor and graphics card among others. See the list of support cards in the system requirements.

GeorgeLazu
09-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Due to the many different computers, builds and components when building a computer I'd suggest checking the system requirements here: https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ.aspx?platformid=9&brandid=22&productid=4186&faqid=kA030000000eakpCAA . I would also suggest contacting a local computer store to see if they can help you get good deals on any parts. To ensure higher quality, you'd want a stronger processor and graphics card among others. See the list of support cards in the system requirements.

I know the requirements, but the requirements you provided are minimum. i want to play the game on ultra, and i doubt a core2quad would help

Anykeyer
09-19-2014, 07:03 PM
AC4 on ultra? Well, you need at least $400 card, Like GTX 970 or at least 770.

mmac900
09-19-2014, 11:15 PM
AC4 on ultra? Well, you need at least $400 card, Like GTX 970 or at least 770.

Its a good thing that gtx 7970 is only $329 and performs on par the 780ti in most benchmarks.

Also, I have 7970 atm and I play on ultra with an average fps of 50+

Fatal-Feit
09-20-2014, 12:44 AM
I would get the new 970.

But around that budget, I'd say the GTX 750 Ti. It's around $150 and should be more than enough to run Unity at medium/high settings. It won't run Black Flag at ultra settings, but with a 900p display, you should have no problem getting 30+ fps at high settings with FXAA.

topeira1980
09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
AC4 is a last-gen game. AC unity and most games coming out after it are current-gen games. i feel like buying something that will be obsolete the second you buy it is pointless :(

also on a res of 900p you dont need a beasty card to play on very high settings. personally i dont feel a big difference between high and ultra (or in my case some settings are medium, some high, some ultra. depends on the feature) on a higher res than that so i guess you dont have to aspire to ULTRA in AC4. but i do think you should aim to something that fits ACU and for that you might wanna wait a bit to see system recommendations or up your budget so you dont have to change a GPU in 2 years.

thewhitestig
09-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Here's your answer.
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_285_Dual-X_OC/images/ac4_1600_900.gif

That's maxed out with even MSAA turned up to 4x. This is a huge resource hog, and you'll will be better off turning it down to 2xMSAA because it'll give you a steady 60fps. Also keep in mind that this game has a 62.5 frame cap. Let's hope Unity does not have any caps.

Oh and something else. Don't get the FX-8350 if you're planning to be doing GPU upgrades down the line. AMD CPUs are not ideal for gaming. It'll bottleneck the high-powered GPUs like 980 or 770 SLI. Not because it's a weak CPU, but because it's architecture does not allow it to reach it's full potential.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8426/67058.png
The problem with it is that it has 8 low powered cores(threads), and even games that are heavily mutithreaded (like BF4) can hit 100% utilization on any given thread (though Mantle resolves that problem). When any of your CPU threads hits 100% that creates a GPU bottleneck. But of course as I mentioned that only happens when you pair it up with an extremely high-end GPU, like a 980 or a 770 SLI. So if you're not planning to get GPU upgrades down the road then by all means, pick up that FX-8350. Xeons on the other hand (the brother of the i7 that's made for workstation use) are perfect for power users and gamers. They again have 8 threads, but they're much more high powered than those of the FX cpus. For anyone that wants to get something more powerful than an i5 but is not willing to pay that premium for an i7 I heavily suggest looking at Xeons. And especially the Xeon E3-1231 v3. It fits right between the i5 4690 and the i7 4790 in terms of price, but it gives you that i7 performance. The only drawback of Xeons is that they do not have integrated graphics, buut... who uses that anyways?

Fatal-Feit
09-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Oh and something else. Don't get the FX-8350 if you're planning to be doing GPU upgrades down the line. AMD CPUs are not ideal for gaming. It'll bottleneck the high-powered GPUs like 980 or 770 SLI. Not because it's a weak CPU, but because it's architecture does not allow it to reach it's full potential.
[SPOILER]?

I already have an FX 8350. Will it bottleneck a 970, even at stock speed?

I might skip on the 980 and save the money for a better CPU. But the 970 still interests me.

thewhitestig
09-21-2014, 05:46 PM
I already have an FX 8350. Will it bottleneck a 970, even at stock speed?

I might skip on the 980 and save the money for a better CPU. But the 970 still interests me.

Depends on the game and depends on the fps you're getting. For example a high end Intel CPU may be able to provide 120fps+ worth of information to a GPU, while an FX-8350 would only be able to do 100fps.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8426/67053.png
But in framerates of like 30-60 it would definitely not be a bottleneck to a 970. Go ahead and buy that GPU. It would be a better upgrade than a CPU. You can move to Broadwell or Skylake a little bit down the line. Or wait for the 16nm FX CPUs.

Fatal-Feit
09-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Depends on the game and depends on the fps you're getting. For example a high end Intel CPU may be able to provide 120fps+ worth of information to a GPU, while an FX-8350 would only be able to do 100fps.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8426/67053.png
But in framerates of like 30-60 it would definitely not be a bottleneck to a 970. Go ahead and buy that GPU. It would be a better upgrade than a CPU. You can move to Broadwell or Skylake a little bit down the line. Or wait for the 16nm FX CPUs.

Awesome! That's not too bad since I mostly don't venture into 60+ territory.

And thanks for the advice.

naumaan
09-22-2014, 01:49 PM
i have an intel system .. with an intel integrated card .. much to my disappointment i tried to run black flag on ultra and i had a very sever fps drop .. for some days i left the game as it is .. cursing the integrated card .. but then later i found out that by decreasing settings from ultra to high ... i can play game with a tolerate able fps .. even if i cant play the games at very high resolutions and ultra . i can still enjoy the game

GeorgeLazu
09-22-2014, 04:47 PM
i have an intel system .. with an intel integrated card .. much to my disappointment i tried to run black flag on ultra and i had a very sever fps drop .. for some days i left the game as it is .. cursing the integrated card .. but then later i found out that by decreasing settings from ultra to high ... i can play game with a tolerate able fps .. even if i cant play the games at very high resolutions and ultra . i can still enjoy the game

You actually tried to run a game on Ultra settings with an integrated card? Lol

naumaan
09-22-2014, 06:57 PM
You actually tried to run a game on Ultra settings with an integrated card? Lol

yeah .. ac3 ran good with ultra settings .. now i m not sure the new one will work with ultra but anyways .. i hope i get a new rig ;soon