PDA

View Full Version : Past Gen. Releases and the Templar Games Trend

RinoTheBouncer
09-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Since this year was special and we’re getting two main games, one for current gen. and one for past gen. and the past gen. one happened to be our very first Templar game, do you think we’ll get another past gen. game next year since it will still be early into the current gen. and many are holding onto their PS3s and XBOX 360 for another year, and if so, will it still be a Templar game or you think they’ll try another type of experimental AC title like maybe a sequel to Connor, a First Civ./Modern Day game, an ancient history game or something like that. I feel like the idea of releasing games for past ten can work for another year or two and it’s a great opportunity to be experimental.

Let’s be realistic, most of us have both gens and are buying both Rogue and Unity. So both games have a great potential to sell, especially that they’re marketed as main entries rather than handheld console games or mobile/tablet games. So Ubisoft has this great opportunity that is very limited in time and can be very profitable as well and help a lot with how to shape up future current gen. games.

So what do you think? and what do you wish to happen. Discuss...

GunnerGalactico
09-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Lovely thread as usual :)

I'm glad that they did not leave out past gen console users. In my opinion, I think that making games for past gen will really allow Ubi free reign to get creative and come up with a lot of ideas that they would not normally use on upcoming titles. Apart from completing character stories or experimenting on ancient or modern day settings- I personally like to see them create actual games for other AC characters that appeared in short movies or comic books like Shao Jun, Nicolai Orelov or Aquilus.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-17-2014, 09:46 PM
I think AC rogue will be the last AC game on last gen. There was a gameinformer article in wich Guillemot said the following:

“What we see is that this year is still fine for the PS3 and 360, but next year because they are selling very quickly, we’ll move to the new hardware,”

dxsxhxcx
09-17-2014, 09:54 PM
IMO start to have "Templar games" one after another would feel forced as hell because the gameplay would be "too assassin" to feel natural, I always saw the parkour skill as something almost exclusive of the Assassins (acquired and mastered after years of training) and since day 1, as far as I can remember, few (if any, besides some multiplayer characters) Templars have shown any ability on this department (story-wise, I understand why, gameplay wise, guards or even targets can reach the roofs with almost the same ease as us but this isn't the case here), most of them seemed to be "common" people with "nothing" extraordinary besides their allegiance to the Templars, of course there are excuses they could use to justify that like the one they're using for Rogue (former Assassin, convenient as hell but for one game is OK, even thinking they should've chosen a better setting) or maybe a "proper" Templar trained in the way of the Assassins to better deal with them but IMO any of these excuses would look old really fast.

about a game during TWCB times, if they decide to use that setting to do something, IMO it should happen in short sequences (like the Altair ones from ACR, that should've been lengthy) or during the Modern Days (if we ever get a proper MD protagonist again), TWCB architecture seems to be too modern for a "proper" historical experience so IMO it should be used only for narrative purposes.

JustPlainQuirky
09-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Yeah I think Ubi changed their statement and said Rogue is the final last gen game.

Which is weird considering they said they'd continue to support last gen for at least "A few years" (implies 3 or more)

but c'mon 6 AC games in 3 years IS a bit overwhelming.

m4r-k7
09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
I know this is mean to say but I really don't want them to make more last-gen games as I will always be scared that the setting used will be one that I would really want on next-gen whilst the next-gen game might have a worse setting. With Rogue I am really happy as its not some sort of awesome location like Egypt or China for example.

Ureh
09-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Yeah I think Ubi changed their statement and said Rogue is the final last gen game.

Which is weird considering they said they'd continue to support last gen for at least "A few years" (implies 3 or more)

but c'mon 6 AC games in 3 years IS a bit overwhelming.

Maybe they meant keeping the multiplayer servers up for 3 more years or so.

Namikaze_17
09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
I made a Thread about which Comic/ referenced Assassin needs a game: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/920178-Which-Assassin-Deserves-a-Game

But I'd like any one of them, or maybe a Victorian London setting featuring a sympathetic Templar that has his/her family Murdered by Assassins in an "Accident".

Or the Connor Sequel in 1812 of Course... :)

Megas_Doux
09-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Thank god this is the last game for the old gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Ubi,. please NO more yearly releases.......

Namikaze_17
09-17-2014, 10:33 PM
@Mega

You should know you're second request won't happen. :rolleyes:

GunnerGalactico
09-17-2014, 10:34 PM
I made a Thread about which Comic/ referenced Assassin needs a game: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/920178-Which-Assassin-Deserves-a-Game

But I'd like any one of them, or maybe a Victorian London setting featuring a sympathetic Templar that has his/her family Murdered by Assassins in an "Accident".

Or the Connor Sequel in 1812 of Course... :)

That's what most of us are hoping for. Last gen is the last chance for a Connor sequel :rolleyes:

Anyways, I thought Ubi were going to make games for last gen consoles for 2 more years. I guess that making 2 AC titles a year is just not feasible.

Namikaze_17
09-17-2014, 10:41 PM
That's what most of us are hoping for. Last gen is the last chance for a Connor sequel :rolleyes:

Anyways, I thought Ubi were going to make games for last gen consoles for 2 more years. I guess that making 2 AC titles a year is just not feasible.

I agree...this kinda is Connor's last shot at Redemption. And I've been thinking on that as well, why would you lie and say you were going to continue, then pull a complete 180 and say: "Nah, this is the LAST last-gen game." WTF!?

P.S. I like your Sig Gunner...it's pretty nice. :)

Megas_Doux
09-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, and I know that only death is irrevocable, but Ubi already stated that Rogue is the LAST game of the North American saga, so no War of 1812 setting. Something for I cant be thankful enough to be honest, Colonial NY being the main location of not one but TWO games within a stime span of 15 years is of the biggest atrocities so far :P

Yearly games are already a big exercise of greedy, two is just out of the scale.....

dxsxhxcx
09-17-2014, 10:53 PM
I agree...this kinda is Connor's last shot at Redemption. And I've been thinking on that as well, why would you lie and say you were going to continue, then pull a complete 180 and say: "Nah, this is the LAST last-gen game." WTF!?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f7/f7963fc2557229bda5c8c3d578601b5c42a28bf4078a5369df c4be39e2190803.jpg

SHADOWGARVIN
09-17-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm glad ubisoft releases yearly AC games. As long as the quality is good.

GunnerGalactico
09-17-2014, 10:59 PM

What did I lie about exactly? I don't think you quite understood my comment. First I initially thought that Ubi were going to continue making games for last gen consoles; then suddenly Rogue is the last game for last gen consoles. If you look at it logically, making 2 games a year is hectic, as if annual titles were not enough in the first place

P.S. I like your Sig Gunner...it's pretty nice. :)

Thanks! :)

Megas_Doux
09-17-2014, 11:00 PM

Thing is, at least for me, the following:

I prefer one 9/10, 9.5/10 or obviously a 10/10 game over two or three 8/10 games, which most of the AC´s game are. Quality>>>>>>Quantity......

dxsxhxcx
09-17-2014, 11:11 PM

let's talk about quality when we see (specially from one release to the next one) an actual improvement of the core pillars that have been stagnant (talking mostly about combat here but there are flaws in all of them that IMO could've been "easily" avoided if proper development time was given to the developers) for years and they stop cutting content that was supposed to be a big part of the story (as a whole, please don't separate historical times and modern days into two unconnected things, AC has only one story, both its historical and modern parts are part of it) to fit their current schedule.

I won't even comment how messed up the story has become because of the above and because the writers probably had to create things (plot twists and story's details) along the way to be able to ship more games..

but these probably aren't flaws of a rushed, disorganized and short development cycle given to the developers to create these games, so it should be OK to continue with it, in fact, let's give them TWO games to make that'll be released at the same year, they certainly aren't overwhelmed with work yet...

also, does anyone here is able to see how many "similarities" many Ubisoft games have been sharing lately? Some years from now we'll all be playing the same game with a different HUD.

Namikaze_17
09-17-2014, 11:17 PM
@Gunner

I meant "You" as in Ubisoft. Sorry, if you misread it. ;) and I agree...Two games are hectic. 0.0

@Mega

Relax, man...I know a Connor Sequel most likely won't happen, and I mostly just wanna see his end really. And about the Settings, what makes you think a new setting is automatically gonna fix all of AC's problems?
( Don't get me wrong, I want a new setting as well. ^.^)

New =/= better

P.S. 1812 would be in 19th Century so... :rolleyes:

GunnerGalactico
09-17-2014, 11:24 PM
@ Namikze

Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding then :o

Namikaze_17
09-17-2014, 11:31 PM
@ Namikze

Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding then :o

All's good mate! ;)

RinoTheBouncer
09-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Lovely thread as usual :)

I'm glad that they did not leave out past gen console users. In my opinion, I think that making games for past gen will really allow Ubi free reign to get creative and come up with a lot of ideas that they would not normally use on upcoming titles. Apart from completing character stories or experimenting on ancient or modern day settings- I personally like to see them create actual games for other AC characters that appeared in short movies or comic books like Shao Jun, Nicolai Orelov or Aquilus.

Thank you, my friend.

I do believe that having both current and past gen. games waste a lot of resources, but from my experiences with Ubisoft and AC, to be specific, I do feel like that they’re not really gonna be doing anything experimental with the games. They’re playing it safe, making the most profitable decisions, choosing the most mainstream settings and the most player-engaging activities such as Co-op and the likes. So I doubt they’ll think about returning Connor whom, love him or hate him, had mixed reviews from the fan base, or make a first civ. game or return to a story they already told in a book, that’s why I’m hoping that maybe just next year, they can make something about these characters.

Megas_Doux
09-17-2014, 11:34 PM
@Gunner

@Mega

Relax, man...I know a Connor Sequel most likely won't happen, and I mostly just wanna see his end really. And about the Settings, what makes you think a new setting is automatically gonna fix all of AC's problems?
( Don't get me wrong, I want a new setting as well. ^.^)

New =/= better

P.S. 1812 would be in 19th Century so... :rolleyes:

In 1812, North American cities were still heavily underdeveloped and thus = ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

In regards of the settings, Ubi kinda gets away with one game every year and now two games every year thanks to the "new setting value". Because the CORE mechanics stay the same and since they are working on 2 and three games, even the fan feedback suffers from it.
The are forced to introduce/fix stuff gradually, bit by bit, instead of leaping big time in order to give the illusion of "improving" with every yearly game..

Burning out settings and eras only add further insult to injury....

pacmanate
09-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Dont think so, a few months ago Ubisoft said they will only support Last Gen until 2015 instead of 2016.

Namikaze_17
09-17-2014, 11:40 PM
A first-civ game would be cool...they would'nt have to worry about restrictions from the Animus, Setting, or anything relating to the Creed because it was BEFORE all of that.

Imagine historical landmarks today, were just objects the First Civ played with, or seeing them forcing Humanity to work?

I'd love it :D.

And Regarding Connor for the last time, I'm actually more interested in his end then a Sequel, that's why a book or DLC would satisfy me at this point.

They did it for Edward, why not Connor?

In 1812, North American cities were still heavily underdeveloped and thus = ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

In regards of the settings, Ubi kinda gets away with one game every year and now two games every year thanks to the "new setting value". Because the CORE mechanics stay the same and since they are working on 2 and three games, even the fan feedback suffers from it.
The are forced to introduce/fix stuff gradually, bit by bit, instead of leaping big time in order to give the illusion of "improving" with every yearly game..

Burning out settings and eras only add further insult to injury....

I honestly don't want another game in America. I was just explaining how I'm more interested in Connor's end than him getting a Sequel as all.

And as much as we've been at 18th Century for a LONG time, I just don't think people should be hyping up older Periods as if they are gonna revolutionize the Series when AC has always had the same issues since DAY 1.

Just don't wanna have everyone be disappointed as all when it happens.

pacmanate
09-17-2014, 11:56 PM
A first-civ game would be cool...they would'nt have to worry about restrictions from the Animus, Setting, or anything relating to the Creed because it was BEFORE all of that.

Imagine historical landmarks today, were just objects the First Civ played with, or seeing them forcing Humanity to work?

I'd love it :D.

And Regarding Connor for the last time, I'm actually more interested in his end then a Sequel, that's why a book or DLC would satisfy me at this point.

They did it for Edward, why not Connor?

Why not for Aveline? Or Nikolai?

Megas_Doux
09-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Hyping and having different eras and setting does not solve the fatigue of yearly releases, stagnant core gameplay mechanics and usually delayed feedback; Crouching on/off hood, etc etc.
But being stuck in one era for many games only accelerates it

Namikaze_17
09-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Why not for Aveline? Or Nikolai?

You know, all this about Connor's Future/ End and sometimes I forget about Aveline...her as well.

And Nikolai? Fishshdggusgh I would LOVE a game about him. He's in my list in a Thread I made earlier. The link is on the previous page if you'd like to see.
:)

Hyping and having different eras and setting does not solve the fatigue of yearly releases, stagnant core gameplay mechanics and usually delayed feedback; Crouching on/off hood, etc etc.
But being stuck in one era for many games only accelerates it

I guess you have a point...

We only got 18th Century & The Ezio Trilogy to blame. :rolleyes:

RinoTheBouncer
09-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Dont think so, a few months ago Ubisoft said they will only support Last Gen until 2015 instead of 2016.

So that means we still have another year, right? like I wonder if they mean “Until AC of 2015” or "until the end of 2014 and start of 2015”.

king-hailz
09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
I don't want to see a very anticipated setting like China or Japan limited for last gen! However I like that they will experiment... I think they should stick to completing the characters we know like Connor off... In the old settings..

RinoTheBouncer
09-18-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't want to see a very anticipated setting like China or Japan limited for last gen! However I like that they will experiment... I think they should stick to completing the characters we know like Connor off... In the old settings..

I agree about wasting a highly anticipated setting on a past-gen release. I just hope they do get experimental with these and I hope that Connor gets a sequel, whether it’s a closure to the story or just a continuation. I don’t see what’s wrong with him. They can find any excuse to sort of change his personality, give him a more bad-*** role perhaps or anything. But even though Ezio’s my No.1, I believe Connor’s fans have shown enough interests to get a continuation for his story. And if they’re so afraid of the mixed reviews, leave it for the past gen.

GunnerGalactico
09-18-2014, 12:26 PM
I agree about wasting a highly anticipated setting on a past-gen release. I just hope they do get experimental with these and I hope that Connor gets a sequel, whether it’s a closure to the story or just a continuation. I don’t see what’s wrong with him. They can find any excuse to sort of change his personality, give him a more bad-*** role perhaps or anything. But even though Ezio’s my No.1, I believe Connor’s fans have shown enough interests to get a continuation for his story. And if they’re so afraid of the mixed reviews, leave it for the past gen.

Once again I agree with you :)

However, I wouldn't want them to drastically change Connor. I liked his personality in TOKW. They should make him adopt a more relaxed and calm personality and make him less brash and impulsive. For the most part, I wouldn't change a thing about Connor... just like I wouldn't change a thing about Altair in AC1. I feel that they should complete Connor's story in last gen and have new protagonists on current gen consoles.

Namikaze_17
09-18-2014, 12:40 PM

However, I wouldn't want them to drastically change Connor. I liked his personality in TOKW. They should make him adopt a more relaxed and calm personality and make him less brash and impulsive. For the most part, I wouldn't change a thing about Connor... just like I wouldn't change a thing about Altair in AC1. I feel that they should complete Connor's story in last gen and have new protagonists on current gen consoles.

^ This. I think we as Connor Fans have proved legitimacy as to why Connor needs his Closure/ Redemption. I personally don't want to change his personality either, but if we had to, I would go with a TOKW Connor like Gunner mentioned.

He still Connor, but less angry and native about things. They also could show him being a BA mentor with some dry humor to him as well. :) That, combined with love interest would make Connor's popularity will skyrocket!

RinoTheBouncer
09-19-2014, 01:35 PM

^ This. I think we as Connor Fans have proved legitimacy as to why Connor needs his Closure/ Redemption. I personally don't want to change his personality either, but if we had to, I would go with a TOKW Connor like Gunner mentioned.

He still Connor, but less angry and native about things. They also could show him being a BA mentor with some dry humor to him as well. :) That, combined with love interest would make Connor's popularity will skyrocket!

I agree with both of you. If it’s me making the games, I’d make Connor exactly how he is, and only make him evolve, not change. But I was merely suggesting it given that Ubisoft could be too concerned about that matter. Yet I always prefer the original Connor. He wasn’t wrong, he was just different and he was the way he was because life shaped him that way. I don’t think that’s a flaw or a disadvantage. We’re all different and Connor just happened to be that different. There’s no fixed formula for what an Assassin should be, and Connor was pretty great.

Altair was so different from both Connor and Ezio. Yet I love all 3. They’re different but good. People need to understand that a good character doesn’t have to be written in a certain fixed formula. You can be a good character whether you’re a womanizer, cold blooded, reckless, stoic..etc. as long as he fits the context and Connor fits his.