PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft reusing same voice actors for every game!

king-hailz
09-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Ok I am not talking about the main characters but the guards! They always have the same voice actor since AC3... This wouldn't be much if a problem with other games... but because AC comes out every year it's really noticeable and it's stuff like this that makes AC feel old... However when they use the same voice actors for major roles that's a real problem. Like blackbeard... It just ruined it that it's the same voice actor since his voice is so distinctive... what do you think and don't you think they should just hire people with different voices to play the guards and stuff...

Aphex_Tim
09-16-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm curious to see who Andreas Apergis is gonna be this time. He'd better yell for the guards again! :rolleyes:

EmbodyingSeven5
09-16-2014, 11:11 AM
lol they should hire the guys who played connor, altiar, ezio and Edward to do guard voice acting!!

Aphex_Tim
09-16-2014, 11:32 AM
A cameo would be nice, like Roger Craig Smith in AC4 :o

pacmanate
09-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Yeah it annoys me too.

Terry the Irish guy is in AC3 and the first guard in Avelines PS4 missions
Guards are the same a lot of the time
Blackbeard is in AC4 and gets reincarnated for AC Unity
Cesare is in AC:B and gets reincarnated for AC Revelations

I wouldn't mind if the voice actors were diverse, but they aren't and it ruins the experience.

Aphex_Tim
09-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Cesare is in AC:B and gets reincarnated for AC Revelations

He was in AC2 as well. Francesco de Pazzi ;)

pacmanate
09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Even worse :|, I haven't played AC2 in years!

D.I.D.
09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I haven't noticed.

Perhaps it's hard to cast people who are good at both the mo-cap and the voice acting too? I think it makes sense to reuse actors if you can, because there's no need to spend time training as many new people.

I listen to a lot of drama on the radio, so I'm happy enough hearing the same actors in different roles.

Kaschra
09-16-2014, 02:58 PM
And in AC3 as Isreal Putnam

wvstolzing
09-16-2014, 03:09 PM
At least there are no (semi-) major characters in AC that are just reskins of each other, like Zaeed & Admiral Hackett in Mass Effect.

I could explain why that was so annoying -- but if you haven't played ME2 and 3, you wouldn't see why, and if you have, then you already know.

cawatrooper
09-16-2014, 03:26 PM
At least there are no (semi-) major characters in AC that are just reskins of each other, like Zaeed & Admiral Hackett in Mass Effect.

I could explain why that was so annoying -- but if you haven't played ME2 and 3, you wouldn't see why, and if you have, then you already know.

I just finished a ME Trilogy playthrough, and I didn't notice this at all, actually.

Aphex_Tim
09-16-2014, 04:37 PM
And in AC3 as Isreal Putnam

Indeed; hence my first reply in this thread. ;)

I just wish he used a little more variety with his AC characters; it's not like he can't do it.
For example, he was also Pritchard in Deus Ex: HR. Never recognized him until I looked it up!

Megas_Doux
09-16-2014, 04:41 PM

I just wish he used a little more variety with his AC characters; it's not like he can't do it.
For example, he was also Pritchard in Deus Ex: HR. Never recognized him until I looked it up!

Cant stand his OVER THE TOP VOICE! haha

DumbGamerTag94
09-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Nobody would be complaining if it were Morgan Freeman haha

Aphex_Tim
09-16-2014, 04:44 PM
GUUUAAAAAARDs!

Shahkulu101
09-16-2014, 04:45 PM

What? Putnam didn't sound like any of his past characters.

Francesco and Cesare on the other hand...

SixKeys
09-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Personally I enjoy spotting familiar voices in AC.

Ureh
09-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Recurring actors don't really bother me. They're doing a great job.

GunnerGalactico
09-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Recurring actors don't really bother me. They're doing a great job.

I agree. Sometimes I don't even recognize that it is the same person voicing a different character.

Hans684
09-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Desmond...

Moultonborough
09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
True, using voices over can make games feel a little dull. But Ubisoft/ Assassins Creed is nothing compared to Bethesda/TES or the Pixar movies. Re-using voices is nothing new really.

Locopells
09-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Did anyone ever see that end credits segments in Cars, where they highlight the guy who voices Mack, Ham in Toy Story and the Abominable Snowman in Monsters Inc/Uni?...

roostersrule2
09-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Did anyone ever see that end credits segments in Cars, where they highlight the guy who voices Mack, Ham in Toy Story and the Abominable Snowman in Monsters Inc/Uni?...Yes haha

I don't care that they re-use voices, except when it's half familar and I can't remember who the character sound likes.

Journey93
09-17-2014, 12:22 PM
thats just lazy Ubisoft for you again
I mean I don't mind reusing the same voice actors if they actually sound different
but nope apparently we have Blackbeard in Unity again and he sounds exactly the same

pacmanate
09-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes haha

I don't care that they re-use voices, except when it's half familar and I can't remember who the character sound likes.

Exactly, reused voice actors I don't care if they are diverse. But the ones in AC just have one voice.

rrebe
09-17-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't mind re-used voice actors if the job is done good, not do I have a problem if the performances sounding close to identical, but I understand how that could be annoying.

FR0ZENZiNE
09-17-2014, 05:03 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2NjA3MTg1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcwMDM4OA@@._ V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Ubi casted him for Far Cry 4, now it's AC's turn.

GOTY 2015, BOOM.

guardian_titan
09-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Reused VAs are common. Companies like to develop a relationship with certain people and continuously call them back. John Ratzenberger with Pixar is a famous one. Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer, and Rafael Sbarge are regulars in Bioware games, Dave Fenoy is a regular in Telltale games, etc. I don't mind repeat actors in new roles if they have enough range to not be too recognizable. John Ratzenberger tends to sound the same in each of his roles, but it's become rather entertaining to spot him in Pixar movies. He's as much of an easter egg as A119 or the Pizza Planet truck. A Pixar movie without him wouldn't be the same. I saw Planes the other day and was disappointed to not hear him in the movie although I knew from the get go it was a Disney movie, not Pixar. John's Pixar roles are akin to Stan Lee in Marvel's movies. It'll be a sad day when Stan Lee can no longer cameo in a Marvel movie just as it will be a sad day when John can no longer be in Pixar movies.

If you really want a case of the same VAs, try watching Simpsons or Family Guy. A small cast of like 5 people do most of the characters in Simpsons with a few additional people that do a handful of other characters (and I'm not referring to guest stars). Marcia Wallace who voiced Mrs. Crabapple until her death was one of them. The guy who does Burns also does Smithers and is so good at it he can do both roles in the same recording session without confusing them. Seth MacFarlane does like half the cast of Family Guy including Stewie and Brian. Imagine AC where the entire cast was like 5 people and there were a lot more characters than that. That would be entertaining to sort out who does who WITHOUT looking at the credits.

Some people are incredibly talented and if companies can find people like this, they should be kept on call for future roles. Others that are ... less talented are likely kept on call for other roles because they're easy to get a hold of, easy to work with, are friends or family members, or work cheap. Also possible it's just stock audio. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the odd extra VA is the boyfriend of someone's sister who works on the game or something. I honestly don't pay much attention to the guards in AC nor do I really pay attention to voices between games. Unless the main character is the same between games and their VA changed, I honestly don't pay attention. Now if someone voiced two prominent characters and they both sound exactly the same, then I might catch it, but meh. If you watch enough anime, cartoons, or games, you're bound to run into the same VAs on a regular basis in vastly different titles. It's nothing new so nothing I pay attention to anymore. Now it'd be lazy if the same guy voiced every Assassin from Altair to Arno with no variation despite the Assassin changing from game to game. Granted, Altair and Ezio were basically Desmond so Ubisoft could have pulled that off until AC3 when Haytham and Connor weren't Desmond.

D.I.D.
09-17-2014, 08:28 PM
thats just lazy Ubisoft for you again
I mean I don't mind reusing the same voice actors if they actually sound different
but nope apparently we have Blackbeard in Unity again and he sounds exactly the same

Lazy Ubisoft, cutting corners so they can spend more time in their hammocks doing bongs

or working insane hours and barely seeing their own families during the production run, I forget which.

Anyway, I doubt you'd be saying this character sounds exactly like Blackbeard if he wasn't also bearded. You're blaming something on a voice which really has more to do with a visual design. Yes, it's another vaugely SW English accent, but I know the actor who plays him from UK film and TV, and he's Scottish. This isn't laziness - it's a decision.

Aphex_Tim
09-17-2014, 08:49 PM
lazy

That's a word that's being thrown around way too much. People should really stop calling devs Lazy when they're usually anything but!

Journey93
09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Lazy Ubisoft, cutting corners so they can spend more time in their hammocks doing bongs

or working insane hours and barely seeing their own families during the production run, I forget which.

Anyway, I doubt you'd be saying this character sounds exactly like Blackbeard if he wasn't also bearded. You're blaming something on a voice which really has more to do with a visual design. Yes, it's another vaugely SW English accent, but I know the actor who plays him from UK film and TV, and he's Scottish. This isn't laziness - it's a decision.

uh poor Ubisoft employes damm thats laughable I'm sure there are worse jobs

D.I.D.
09-17-2014, 09:42 PM
uh poor Ubisoft employes damm thats laughable I'm sure there are worse jobs

Of course there are worse jobs. You could be cleaning toilets for minimum wage.

It's still a very tough regime, and any of you fantasising about a cushy job in a major games studio are ignorant. Talk to anyone who does this job about how much time they get to do anything else, especially play games, or what happens during crunch periods.

The phrase "lazy Ubisoft" is idiotic. As if it was even possible for 900+ employees to be lazy together. The co-ordination involved in this unified laziness would make a tautology of the phrase, before you even get to examining what a crock it is or what these jobs entail.

Megas_Doux
09-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Lazyness????? No!!! The Developers have to meet the expectations of releasing not one but TWO games annually.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110227034519/thatguywiththeglasses/images/3/31/Corporate_Commander.jpg

I would say GREED of the high executives is the key, journey 93.......