PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm done with Assassin's Creed (and Ubisoft)

CurlicuedStorm5
09-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Note this is not a hate post on the AC games themselves, I like a lot of them and the most of the AC games themselves are very enjoyable. This is a post about why I'm done with AC and Ubisoft as a whole. I'm against the idea of exclusive digital content, I simply don't think that's a good path to go down but I can put up with it it certain degrees. I can put up with an exclusive skin, or title in a multiplayer game, something cosmetic( , I still dislike that but I can deal with it). Exclusive weapons are were I would like to draw the line but even them I can just accept nowadays, although I seriously dislike it. What really breaks the camel's back and what I absolutely hate is exclusive mission packs. That is outright cutting content from your game and rationing it off to those willing to pay more money. Maximizing profits while putting in the same amount or less effort as before, with complete disregard for your customer. The exclusive missions, weapon and armor packs, these things aren't "bonus" content, they aren't additional value, they are just chunks torn out of the game you've already paid for. I don't think I need to remind everyone of the Watch Dogs scenario: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rvFXxV7qbiE/U3bBWBmuvDI/AAAAAAAAHks/syjVLI9_lxI/w1358-h610-no/Capture.JPG

I'm sure you've all read this post before and will read it again, I just wanted to give my experience with Ubisoft, and I know it's not just Ubi who do it they are just the most prominent. I as a fan of the AC series feel like I am being used, being treated like a guinea pig for Ubisoft to see just how much money they can make out of me without actually offering anything, only taking things away. I just can't do it any more. I was looking through all the different versions of Unity and what came with which version and just gave up, realizing how pathetic this has all become. Just sell me the bloody game. Until Ubi cuts this crap out I'm done.

Sushiglutton
09-15-2014, 11:27 AM
I can understand why you feel that way, but imo you need to look at the bigger picture. One question you could ask yourself is:

What do I think the game is worth without any of this extra content at all?

Even if you cut out all these things the AC games still have a ton of content. You need to focus on what you get, not what you don't get (this is true in life in general I feel :) ). Games drop in price. When the game costs what you think its worth, then buy it. Could be at launch or a few months when it's 25% off or whatever.

I understand it's annoying for completionists with this new microtransction direction in AAA-gaimng. Imo changing your own attitude to focus on what you do get, using pricedrops to compensate for extra costs and doing the things in the game you enjoy are the best ways to deal with it!

CurlicuedStorm5
09-15-2014, 11:37 AM
What do I think the game is worth without any of this extra content at all?
!

It's more of a moral thing for me. I'm just fed up with the carving up of these games and Ubi pretending like it's additional content, plus I think they even had microtransactions in AC4 and they will be in ACU, another practice I absolutely hate.

Fatal-Feit
09-15-2014, 11:41 AM
AC's MPs have had microtransactions since AC:R, I believe.

CurlicuedStorm5
09-15-2014, 12:00 PM

I didn't know that, although I'm not particularly surprised. It's just a shame that this series has turned into I microtransaction carved up money making cynical product that's released every year, twice in this case.

m4r-k7
09-15-2014, 12:03 PM
I understand your frustration, but honestly dude Ubisoft are a multi-national business whose main aim is to make profit..and as much of it as possible. The problem is, is that every company is starting to do this now in order to boost pre-orders. Its going to become the norm unfortunately and so the best way around it is just buying the standard edition. Yes, you will lose out on some extra content but ask yourself mate, is an extra 20 minute mission and a couple of bonuses going to disrupt your love for AC? I don't really care for the extra stuff..as long as the game is good I am fine.

Sdwakias
09-15-2014, 01:36 PM
I decided to check the forums after a long hiatus, and I see this... There are still people who write stuff like these? First of all, additional content is unnecesasy. You don't need that one extra sword, nor that one extra gun, nor that one extra mission. They are are just additional content. They are meant to provide the company extra money, which is the point of every single company. You work in order to get money, not in order to satisfy people. If people want what you make, that's a win for you. You don't force them to buy them. So instead of thinking of Ubisoft (or any other company) as a company that exists in order to absolute satisfy the gamers, you should think of it as a company which aim is to make profit. When you buy the actual game, you get the full story and some additional stuff that they give out, and they already give out quite a lot of stuff. If you want to get every DLC, then I suggest you to wait for a Digital Deluxe Edition, or something like The Jackdaw Edition, but wait till a discount comes. Or get the base game and buy the DLCs on discount. Also, AC doesn't feature a bad microtransaction system. In Multiplayer you could only unlock abilities and perks faster than anyone else and get cosmetic stuff easier. Not a big deal at all as most of the players don't actually use all of the perks/abilities. In Unity we don't have Multiplayer, so what's wrong with it???

Lastly, I don't see why people get so mad about DLCs when Expansions did the same thing. They added as much content as 5 - 6 DLCs do now, and they costed as much as the base game. DLCs are better as you CAN choose what you want. If you didn't care much about the Multiplayer Characters, you could avoid 2 DLCs and save 10 Euros (if I remember correctly). If you didn't want the pre-order bonuses, you could just not buy them. If you didn't care about Adelawe, you just not buy the DLC... DLCs are far better than expansions, and they are getting released faster and more steadily. This can mostly be observed in Strategy games such as AoE and Total War (newest ones which only have DLCs).

Megas_Doux
09-15-2014, 02:08 PM
He is entitled to his opinion, one which might be justified....

Kakuzu745
09-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I mostly agree with you...exclusive content is cancer.I probably wont stop playing the game just because of it but seriously...I understand some of the content but it is just becoming ridiculous when you are getting extra content from some razor or some beverage. Besides that there are like 4 preorder editions and 7 special editions. Come on...I understand the profit is the main objective, but tbh videogames is becoming a ridiculous industry.

Sesheenku
09-15-2014, 04:05 PM
You could just, you know, not buy their BS extra junk. I'll buy Unity but I won't pay for their other crap ;P

SixKeys
09-15-2014, 06:00 PM

Since AC3, actually. ACR only had Abstergo credits which you could earn by playing the game. AC3 MP introduced Erudito credits aka real money.

CurlicuedStorm5
09-15-2014, 08:32 PM
I know I could just buy Unity later down the line when it's on sale, but I'd still be supporting microtransactions in paid games which is the worst thing is modern gaming in my opinion. It's just time for me to start voting with my wallet.

Journey93
09-15-2014, 08:44 PM
I agree that its very annoying that Ubisoft has this dozen different editions and exclusive missions/weapons etc.
But I never buyed any of that **** and still got a complete experience in the previous titles so why not do the same?
Those extra stuff isn't necessary and not buying the games just because of that doesn't seem wise

CurlicuedStorm5
09-15-2014, 08:54 PM
I agree that its very annoying that Ubisoft has this dozen different editions and exclusive missions/weapons etc.
But I never buyed any of that **** and still got a complete experience in the previous titles so why not do the same?
Those extra stuff isn't necessary and not buying the games just because of that doesn't seem wise

It's just gotten to the point where I don't feel respected as their customer, and there's no way to show them that without avoiding their games entirely.

D.I.D.
09-15-2014, 09:34 PM
They're not chunks cut out of the game. They're chunks cut out of the Season Pass.

I'm not saying you should like this any more than the alternative, but that's the truth. There's the production of the game, and then there's a segment of production which is dedicated to additional content, and that at least is honest. Buying special editions gets you early access to some of that content, but you shouldn't buy them because special editions cost more; you pay extra for these early scraps, and you might end up paying for an additional season pass that includes the things you already bought once.

If you buy the basic version of the game, you still get a game's worth, and easily enough hours of play to justify the price. Get that. If you really, really like the game you played and want more, then buy the season pass.

Fatal-Feit
09-15-2014, 09:40 PM
They're not chunks cut out of the game. They're chunks cut out of the Season Pass.

I'm not saying you should like this any more than the alternative, but that's the truth. There's the production of the game, and then there's a segment of production which is dedicated to additional content, and that at least is honest. Buying special editions gets you early access to some of that content, but you shouldn't buy them because special editions cost more; you pay extra for these early scraps, and you might end up paying for an additional season pass that includes the things you already bought once.

If you buy the basic version of the game, you still get a game's worth, and easily enough hours of play to justify the price. Get that. If you really, really like the game you played and want more, then buy the season pass.

The season pass does not provide all the ULCs from figurines and other physical accessories, content from social events, Initiates exclusives, etc, etc.

If they would include all of them in the season pass, it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

D.I.D.
09-15-2014, 09:47 PM
The season pass does not provide all the ULCs from figurines and other physical accessories, content from social events, Initiates exclusives, etc, etc.

If they would include all of them in the season pass, it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Okay, but those things are negligible, aren't they? Even when they make an exclusive additional mission, it's always paper-thin. At least, I've never seen anyone bragging about the amazing exclusive mission they just played.

RinoTheBouncer
09-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I’ve always felt that these extras feel reductive. They rarely have any substance or story value and they’re just a way to encourage you to pre-order whether they’re exclusive to a certain store or a certain collector’s edition or AC:Initiates or a even a figurine. But I usually pre-order the biggest collector’s edition which is likely to have the most noteworthy extras but I buy it because I want the box set so these “cut out chunks of the game” are usually an extra for me. So I neither feel ripped off nor disappointed as they’re not my focus in the first place and I treat them as they are, extras.

MnemonicSyntax
09-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Just get the games on PC. We've seen every single DLC/ULC, etc. etc. on PC except the Copernicus Conspiracy. PC gets most of everything, digitally anyway.

Hans684
09-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Get a job in the gaming industry and change it from the inside.

Fatal-Feit
09-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Okay, but those things are negligible, aren't they? Even when they make an exclusive additional mission, it's always paper-thin. At least, I've never seen anyone bragging about the amazing exclusive mission they just played.

Personally, I've found some of them to be important. Like the Kenway's Family Swords, Haytham's Robe, or Connor's Sails to complete the Aquila collection.

It's not that these things are mega important, it's just that they're content than shouldn't have been locked. The games themselves are already lacking in rewards and such. People have complained about the Animus Fragments' redundancy. How about use some of these items as a reward? I wouldn't mind collecting all of them if it meant getting the swords Edward have canonically used throughout his adventures.

D.I.D.
09-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Personally, I've found some of them to be important. Like the Kenway's Family Swords, Haytham's Robe, or Connor's Sails to complete the Aquila collection.

It's not that these things are mega important, it's just that they're content than shouldn't have been locked. The games themselves are already lacking in rewards and such. People have complained about the Animus Fragments' redundancy. How about use some of these items as a reward? I wouldn't mind collecting all of them if it meant getting the swords Edward have canonically used throughout his adventures.

I guess, if you've got a real itch about these things.

I think that publishers have a problem with games like these. We're hypercritical if graphical standards slip, or if the games get smaller or shorter. In fact, we can get pretty nasty if a game is merely of the same standard as its predecessor. If the game is not significantly prettier, or the city significantly bigger, or the activities more numerous, we respond like we've been short-changed.

So, to give us what we want, the companies must sell the maximum number of copies. To ensure that, they need the greatest cooperation from the retailers. The retailers need their unique editions so that they are satisfied with the arrangement. But even then, with a game this big, with the budget the future games need, it's still not enough. They have to sell as much merchandise as possible too, in a market where many other games are competing, with Witcher statuettes and Dark Souls replica weapons. So, the AC statuette needs to compete with theirs while maintaining its value, and the obvious way to do that is with an in-game reward.

I don't like any of this, but I want bigger and better AC games every year and yet I don't want to have to pay any more money next year than I did this year. My selfishness has to pay a price somewhere, and that price is that there are bits and pieces of these games that I will never see. I am okay with this.

cawatrooper
09-16-2014, 12:04 AM
I can see how this upsets you. I find it frustrating too. However, I'm not going to let it ruin the entire series for me.

king-hailz
09-16-2014, 06:15 AM
The digital content is not even worth it... They say 60 mins of extra gameplay but it's more like 12 mins long and is worse than most story missions. Same with other missions you get... I'm usually so immersed in the story that I completely forget about the extra missions and don't even do them lol...

Farlander1991
09-16-2014, 08:08 AM
The biggest problem with figurine unlockables and community challenge unlockables IMO is that pirates can have versions that has everything unlocked, while other people can be limited either by time (*cough*community challenges*cough*) or the location where they live which can make getting those figurines a lot harder.

SixKeys
09-16-2014, 10:29 AM
The biggest problem with figurine unlockables and community challenge unlockables IMO is that pirates can have versions that has everything unlocked, while other people can be limited either by time (*cough*community challenges*cough*) or the location where they live which can make getting those figurines a lot harder.

Exactly. This is the biggest problem. Legit customers are getting shafted while pirates get everything.

Matt.mc
09-16-2014, 10:40 AM
I get where you're coming from man, I'm only just getting high speed internet within the next few weeks and I've had to just tether from my phone so I haven't been able to get any of the DLCs.
But with that said, Ubisoft is a business, and as a business they want to make as much money as they possibly can, so if that means one or two of the side quests/gear pieces/weaponry cost a few more dollars they will do so.

SixKeys
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I get where you're coming from man, I'm only just getting high speed internet within the next few weeks and I've had to just tether from my phone so I haven't been able to get any of the DLCs.
But with that said, Ubisoft is a business, and as a business they want to make as much money as they possibly can, so if that means one or two of the side quests/gear pieces/weaponry cost a few more dollars they will do so.

This "they're a business, they need to make money" excuse is a bad one. It may work in the short term, but if you ignore your customers' wishes, you will hurt your company's image and start losing money in the long run. People are already calling Ubi the "French EA" which is hardly a flattering label. The fact that pirates are able to unlock everything without paying for the product will drive more people to piracy. Ubi isn't doing enough to reward their paying customers and their current practices only serves to create a bigger rift between them company and its customers.

Matt.mc
09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't call it an excuse. It's a fact and it's more than likely the main reason why they do this.
I don't know the stats but are there THAT many people not buying these games because of DLC's?

Fatal-Feit
09-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Most people don't even buy the DLCs, truth be told.

But regardless, the majority's critiques for the games are worse for it. As I've said, these are in-game content that shouldn't be locked. People are already striving for reasons to complete most of the tedious objectives. Some of these extras would make for a great incentive.

Kakuzu745
09-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Exactly...in the end it is probably the loyal customers the ones that get more screwed than anything else. Extra content is fantastic but not when it is tied to 66 different things. Can we just go back to basics and give outfits based on how many AC games you have played for example?

Locopells
09-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Has anyone got a chart, like the one in the OP, for ACIV?