PDA

View Full Version : Theory: Shay's Parentage

trainkun0908
09-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Shay Patrick Cormac was born in 1731, which makes it impossible for him to be fathered by Edward Kenway. However, he shared the same last name as Anne Bonny (maiden name Anne Cormac). We all know Anne probably went to the American Colonies to settle down. Is it possible that Shay is her son (and for some unknown reason he took her maiden name as his last name)?

Hans684
09-15-2014, 03:17 PM
I doubt he is one of Edwards bastards but that he is the son of Anne is highly possible. There is an official picture with Shay saying he us born with the sea(something like that) in his vains and that his Irish parents immigrated to the colonies.

JustPlainQuirky
09-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Plot twist:

Shay is the son of a mermaid.

ze_topazio
09-15-2014, 03:55 PM
No fictional character in this series is related to any real people, there can always be a first but Ubisoft so far has not given fictional children to historical characters.

Hans684
09-15-2014, 04:46 PM
No fictional character in this series is related to any real people, there can always be a first but Ubisoft so far has not given fictional children to historical characters.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Pyara_Kaur is the ancestor of Monima Das(Jot Soora's girlfriend)

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Geoffroy_Thérage is the ancestor of Warren Vidic.

There is one more but I don't remember

guardian_titan
09-15-2014, 06:14 PM
No Assassin has been related to real people (or more specifically, a main character). Looking up Pyara Kaur on Google and all I find is a facebook page of a woman with the same name besides the AC wiki. That's not very encouraging that she was real. Perhaps based on a real woman or her name was coincidental. Ziio was named for her voice actress. Doesn't mean she was real. If Pyara was real, you'd think there would be something on her whether it be a genealogical page or a wiki. There's not much to suggest she was real. It's like Maria, Ezio's mother. You'd think she was real with her Animus entries and she wasn't.

Geoffroy is a different matter and does appear to be real, although history can be a funny thing. Most people can't trace back that far and he's a rather obscure person unless you know Joan of Arc's story. Not surprising Ubisoft would throw in a relation to some obscure figure that likely no one knows if they're related to due to lost records, etc. Anyone can claim relation back to an Egyptian pharaoh or Alexander the Great if they wanted to because who can prove them right or wrong? Outside of DNA tests, there's few records that go back that far. With all the wars, many families are lucky to trace their families back to 1800 let alone 1400. You have to be from a fairly well to do family to go back that far or further. I've done a fair bit of research into my own family tree, and at best, I've only got 2 branches that go back to the 1100s. Every other one either ends in the 1600s, 1700s, or 1800s due to lack of records. While Ubisoft making Vidic related to a guy who helped bring down Joan of Arc might be a bit in poor taste, especially if the guy does have family today, who's really going to challenge it? Most of his descendants either don't know it, don't care, or they disassociated themselves from him a long time ago.
Shay's not likely to be related to Anne although Edward didn't die until 1735 and Shay's born in 1731. There's plenty of time for him to be a bastard of Edward's. I don't see this happening, though. He seemed too dedicated to his wife Tessa to cheat on her ... that is unless Haytham REALLY didn't know his father at all and Edward was sleeping with every woman in Britain.

There's also the bit that Anne says at the end of AC4 that England is the wrong way around the world for her to go. That suggests she never returned to Ireland or England (in Ubisoft's canon anyway). Shay, given his accent, was likely born in Ireland and raised there until his teens at least. If he was born in the US, his accent wouldn't be as thick because he'd have influence from Germans, English, Dutch, etc. For an example, my great-great-grandfather was born in Ireland around 1848 and moved to Liverpool, England when he was a toddler around 1850 after his father was arrested and sent to prison. He then moved to the US with his brother around 1865. His granddaughter (my great aunt and older sister of my grandmother) said he never had an Irish accent despite being raised by his Irish mother. It certainly shows that who you're raised around is more important in language development than your own family.

In all honesty, I don't think Shay's parentage matters. Unless they have a part in the story, do we really need to know his parents? We don't know Edward's parents in AC4. You have to read the book to find out his father was Bernard and mother was Linette. You don't even know Edward had an unnamed sister who died unless you read the book. You knew Connor's parents in AC3 because it was relevant to the story, but you didn't know Haytham's parents unless you read Forsaken. You never really know Ziio's parents although you can kind of infer that Oia:ner might be her mother. Aveline's were also semi-relevant to the story given that Madeleine ended up being the Templar grand master and her real mother was at Chitzen Itza. You knew Ezio's family in AC2 because they were part of his early characterization before his mother and sister drifted into the shadows during ACB. You don't really know Altair's parents, either, unless you read the book. Arno's will apparently play into Unity, but Shay's I just don't see being relevant. And Shay's likely not getting a book so we'll likely never know his parents.

Namikaze_17
09-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't know/ Care who his Parents are...

But I do know who he will father... :rolleyes:

Ureh
09-15-2014, 10:05 PM
It would be kinda weird if one or both of his parents are Assassins and still alive, so he ends up killing them too?! Oh no! And imagine if they don't fight back while he does it. Oh my!

LieutenantJojo
09-15-2014, 10:49 PM
I doubt he is one of Edwards bastards but that he is the son of Anne is highly possible. There is an official picture with Shay saying he us born with the sea(something like that) in his vains and that his Irish parents immigrated to the colonies.

What if he's both? :eek: