PDA

View Full Version : Different route - What if

Alfrays
09-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi guys, first of all, i apologize for my english. Now, I'm an old fan of the assassin's creed series, I have the limited edition of AC1 - 2 - B - R and 3, I have even portable games like altair's chronicles, bloodline and discovery, not to mention the comic The Fall, the books till Revelation, and for last I got the platinum on all of the main games, except for AC3. In fact, after playing AC3 i was so disappointed that i never touch an Assassin's Creed game again.
First because the series slowly has lost his esoteric and mysterious atmosphere, and second because I expected a total different route for Desmond. I'm not really interested in what the ancestors did in their lives if it does not contribute to the main plot (or at least, the contribution has to be meaningful, and not an excuse to return to the Animus, like in R and 3). That same plot that has died with Desmond.
I can't even get over the fact that the saga is still going on, trying to maintain some sort of connection with the old story.
Yes, I know that Unity will start a new story, and I might be interested if Ubisoft will finally leave the present behind and will only focus in stories of the past (cause otherwise I'm sure it would become like the original story that, in my opinion, has been bad handled).
That said, yesterday I wanted to play AC1 again, and I felt sad remembering what happened from Brotherhood to 3 (especially for 3!), and so a strange idea crossed my mind.
What if Ubisoft makes a game that takes a different route? You know, a "what if", like Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: off the records … after all, it's not the first time that the "alternate reality concept" is used in the saga. What if Desmond after AC2 is warned about Juno betrayal and finally gets a game in which he is the only protagonist and where he can really put use the knowledge gained from Altair and the skills from Ezio? An AC where Daniel Cross and Vidic are shown in the right way. An AC set all in the present in which we can see how the war between assassins and templars is stopped, or something like that.
Maybe a portable game or a lower game like Rogue that doesn't need many people and money like the main productions? I think that a game like this could really make happy many old fans that has abandoned the saga, getting a new-found desire to follow it again restarting with the new path set by Unity. Besides, even if Desmond does not relive the other memories of Ezio or those of Connor's, they happened in any case (what I would like to see is an AC where you are not forced to change from present to past and vice versa, seeing that without the main character there aren't valid motives to do that, it just disturbs the narrative of the story in the past, and i would love to see B - R - 3 and 4BF modified in such way). I'm nobody to suggest new stories, but I wanted to talk about it, in the official Ubisoft forum, to see the opinions of the fans, hoping that this idea could have some visibility for Ubisoft.
Again, I'm sorry if what i wrote is hard to understand, I hope you get the point.

Edit: this should be better

killzab
09-14-2014, 10:11 PM
OMG I can't read this

Namikaze_17
09-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Hmm...

What if Ubi ended AC after III?

killzab
09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Use paragraphs ....

DumbGamerTag94
09-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Dat Wall o' Text doe!!!

Namikaze_17
09-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Agreed, Use Paragraphs next time Mate.

And, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

RinoTheBouncer
09-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Well, I’m ready to pay Ubisoft to make an alternate reality set of games in the AC franchise. For example, Minerva was observing through the Eye, maybe we can relive another possibility. Our modern day could be the First Civ. times and we’re observing an alternate path in which maybe Ezio never became an Assassin or perhaps he did but Desmond didn’t die and instead had children and a wife, or never ran away from home and was never caught by Abstergo, or everything went like it did in this reality except that he chose to let the world burn and lived.

I honestly would do anything about that. In fact, I made a thread about this a while back. You can check it out if you wanna read the ideas we shared there: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/822574-Alternate-Possibilities

Alfrays
09-14-2014, 11:14 PM
thanks for the welcome, but i'm not a frequent forums visitor, i just felt to do something about this "injustice" in respect of Desmond. I wanted AC to be a - real - trilogy, but is right for Ubisoft to use it at best it can ... but just for Desmond's story, there is no point in doing what they did. So i can only hope for this "what if".

JustPlainQuirky
09-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Not a fan of 'what if' scenerios.

Only reason I like ToKW is because the real connor technically saw the fake memories. It wasn't some fake connor in another dimension.

I'd be all for it as long as a connection to the canonical timeline is made.

RinoTheBouncer
09-14-2014, 11:20 PM

Only reason I like ToKW is because the real connor technically saw the fake memories. It wasn't some fake connor in another dimension.

But how do we know what’s fake? if we’re to become someone working for Minerva and using The Eye to find alternate futures, do we really know which one is the real one? That said, I’d also welcome any story that involves being in the “canonical story” viewing fake memories.

JustPlainQuirky
09-14-2014, 11:21 PM
We know what's fake because the developers tell us.

Plus AC isn't really about ambiguity. That kind of goes against what the whole concept of the animus is about. Finding out the truth. The facts.

Alfrays
09-14-2014, 11:29 PM

RhinoTheBouncer*

i'm not talking of a "what if" while there is always just one canonical side. The one in AC3 is not a what if, but it's just an alternate reality crated by the apple(or at least i think, the dlc of 3 is the only one that i refused to buy). What i mean is that there should be multiple canonical sides, and that it's up to the player to choose in which believe. This would be the way to make all happy. And ubisoft does not hold from doing new experiment, just like when they put ships in the series.

Namikaze_17
09-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Desmond did talk about 'What if' scenarios and such.

What if he was never captured?
What if he lived?
What if he had a child?
What if Ezio was killed, and Federico was the one to avenge his family?
What if Connor died in the fire instead of Ziio?

And so on. I'd actually be interested in this different universe Ordeal and such.

JustPlainQuirky
09-14-2014, 11:33 PM
RhinoTheBouncer*

i'm not talking of a "what if" while there is always just one canonical side. The one in AC3 is not a what if, but it's just an alternate reality crated by the apple(or at least i think, the dlc of 3 is the only one that i refused to buy). What i mean is that there should be multiple canonical sides, and that it's up to the player to choose in which believe. This would be the way to make all happy. And ubisoft does not hold from doing new experiment, just like when they put ships in the series.

no please god no

one clear canonical storyline pls.

lack of a true canon is why I can't get into marvel and DC comics

Namikaze_17
09-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I want a 'What if' story of Edward being a Pirate Hunter instead of a Pirate.

I think it would've been an awesome parallel and stuff.
:rolleyes:

Alfrays
09-14-2014, 11:46 PM
no please god no

one clear canonical storyline pls.

lack of a true canon is why I can't get into marvel and DC comics

i admit that it's a bit extreme this kind of what if, but can you really accept the fact that while the world was going to end, Desmond passes most of the time hunting the animals and stroking the dogs, just to find in the end some kind of money that in 2 second unlock the final door? I find it hardly acceptable, for the gamers and for the characters themselves. Ubisoft tried to make everyone happy, those who does not care of the present part, and those who cares. Unfortunatley those who does not care where much more, and so we get AC3. I want an AC3 for those who care of the present.

Hans684
09-15-2014, 05:01 AM
But how do we know what’s fake? if we’re to become someone working for Minerva and using The Eye to find alternate futures, do we really know which one is the real one? That said, I’d also welcome any story that involves being in the “canonical story” viewing fake memories.

We were reliving his memories -something that already happened-, it can't be fake.

rickprog
09-15-2014, 06:27 AM

That one would be great. Some sort of "they don't understand what the principles behind freedom are" thing, where he's a close-minded Assassin from the very beginning or something.

Fatal-Feit
09-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Sort of like TTOKW? That'd be great. I was disappointed by the lack of hunting notorious pirates in AC:IV, the first time.

Awwwwwww, yesssss. The Jackdaw can finally go up against Queen Anne's Revenge.

Farlander1991
09-15-2014, 08:03 AM
We know what's fake because the developers tell us.

Plus AC isn't really about ambiguity. That kind of goes against what the whole concept of the animus is about. Finding out the truth. The facts.

AC is all about ambiguity ever since AC1.

Vidic: Yes, exactly! It's part of what makes the Animus so spectacular. There's no room for misinterpretation.
Desmond: There's always room.
Vidic: Touche, Mr. Miles.

We're dealing here with memories, that can be distorted, forgotten, put somewhere deep into subconscious, in case of ACL even edited by a third party, and can be affected greatly on one's point of view (one of the leading theories why Charles Lee is so different between Haytham and Connor sections is because different points of view affect their memories, and considering how many subtle ambiguous moments there are in the game, I wouldn't be surprised that to be true).
Not to mention, the whole gameplay part of the series where we don't and can't actually know what happened exactly, just trying to synchronize generally speaking with the memories.

So even with the Animus, the truth, one version of the truth and the facts, is unreachable and impossible.

doogsy91
09-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I think they could go a ways toward fixing it by releasing an HD trilogy of ACs I to III with the modern day sections (mainly just of ACIII) revised to make sense without Brotherhood or Revelations and to offer a generally better outcome whilst maintaining the mystery and the intrigue established in ACs I and II. That way, they can tend to a lot of the complaints aimed at the post-ACII modern day sections and they'd have all the games that actually matter on next-gen platforms.

Alfrays
09-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I think they could go a ways toward fixing it by releasing an HD trilogy of ACs I to III with the modern day sections (mainly just of ACIII) revised to make sense without Brotherhood or Revelations and to offer a generally better outcome whilst maintaining the mystery and the intrigue established in ACs I and II. That way, they can tend to a lot of the complaints aimed at the post-ACII modern day sections and they'd have all the games that actually matter on next-gen platforms.

it would be great. Maybe they can do a part in which is offered to Desmond to know the truth, and the player must choose whether trust to one offer or not, like when in Path of Neo you can choose which pill to take. If one choose to not trust in the offer, the series continue with the combo B-R-3, if you choose to trust in it, here that Juno's betrayal is unveiled, and Desmond has the possibility to do what Minerva ordered him(find the other temples) … that for me is far more interesting than what they give us … knowledge and skills gained for nothing.

Kakuzu745
09-15-2014, 04:08 PM
What if scenarios really suck for me. I actually did not like ToKW but at least Connor acknowledge in the end that it was not reality so I was cool with it.

No thx to what ifs...