PDA

View Full Version : Are games meant to be completed 100% any more?

SixKeys
09-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I actually wrote this post 4 days ago and just as I hit "Submit", the forums went down. Good thing I always save my text before submitting. :p

Anyway...

I used to be adamant about 100%:ing every AC game. Collect every flag, every chest, every outfit, every weapon, reach full sync in all aspects of the game (including guild/Abstergo challenges) and fully upgrade anything that's upgradeable. It was partly a matter of pride, partly getting every last bit of enjoyment out of each game and partly thinking "if the devs bothered to put all this stuff in the game, I should try to complete it all".

This was back when it was actually doable and, I feel, encouraged. But lately I feel a shift happening. Developers no longer seem to expect players to want to 100% a game by default. Alex Amancio said in a recent interview that while it's possible to gather all the skill points to make Arno into a master assassin, collecting all the weapons in the game might be a different story. He didn't go into detail, but it makes me think there are either so many weapons in the game that nobody in their right mind would try collecting them all (because they might just be slight variations of each class, i.e. 5 different rapiers with little difference in stats) or that it's literally impossible to collect them all if you want your assassin to be more stealth-oriented than warrior class, or vice versa. It's always been par for the course to be able to collect all weapons in AC eventually, so this sudden change seems like an odd departure.

But we know this shift has been happening more and more. Exclusive in-game content is made impossible to obtain unless you're willing to get a contract with Verizon, buy every AC figurine out there, play a Facebook game or participate in timed community events. I tried to participate in the last batch of community events to obtain the final items I was still missing in AC4, but only recently realized I had forgotten some of them after all. Now I'll never have all the special items in the game.

Used to be this would have pissed me off - I'm a completionist, after all, and had plenty of chances to grab what I needed. But the truth is, I'm not really bothered. Because I know it's impossible to obtain every single item created for AC4 in the first place. I'll never have the Kenway family sword or Edward's unique "Haytham" dye, for example, because I don't care about McFarlane figurines. In ACB you could obtain some capes by playing the Project Legacy Facebook game, but people who got the game years later will never have them because PL no longer exists.

I still haven't 100%:ed AC3 or AC4. I might try at some point, but it's no longer the foregone conclusion it used to be. And considering how difficult the devs are making it nowadays to obtain everything, I'm wondering if they've given up on the idea too. Where 100%:ing a game used to be a bragging rights thing for players, maybe now the devs are actively working against completionists by putting SO much stuff in their games that it becomes impossible unless you have superhuman patience and endless money to throw at any exclusive real-world collector's items. Maybe the bragging rights ball in now in the devs' court: with next-gen games, there's so much more content they can put in their games that they no longer want players to be able to collect everything. Basically, "our game is so vast and immense and filled with things to do that ideally, you should lose interest in 100%:ing it before our next game is already on its way." Since this is Ubi we're talking about, the timeframe is typically one year or less. They expect gamers to move on more quickly than they used to, and are ready to tease them with news of another huge game on the horizon.

Thoughts?

Fatal-Feit
09-13-2014, 09:21 AM
I am as pissed as you are.

100%, as of now, are only for the persistent fans who are rich. --Like, very rich. With AC:IV, it will cost you an arm and a leg to fully 100% the game. The DLCs, figures, statues, collector books, etc ,etc, will cost you far more than you spent on the game itself.

And with Unity, not only are there about 5+ different versions with different exclusive content, you will need to buy both Arno and Elise's statues, as well. That's about more than half a grand right there.

Sooner or later, Initiates will be some sort of Pay to Win program for the future titles.

-----------

I remember calling Ubi's support center about this and the conversation was repeatedly ''yes, we know'' ''yeah, I know exactly how you feel'' etc, etc.

Why can't they just included all of these DLCs into the Season Pass or something of the sort? A new weapon and robe should not cost me more than the game itself.

GoldenBoy9999
09-13-2014, 11:44 AM
I have a problem with it as well as I'm a major completionist. The other day I 100%ed ACR, there was just 3 or 4 missions I needed to do and man, I had to adjust to the old control scheme. More content in the game means It'll take me longer to finish it. Whenever I get a game with gold like Hitman: Absolution or Saints Row 3 it hurts to play the game because I know I'm passing so many collectibles and challenges. I love being a completionist in AC but I wish my brain would stop thinking about it when I'm just trying to do one run-through in another game.

Landruner
09-13-2014, 12:20 PM

100%, as of now, are only for the persistent fans who are rich. --Like, very rich. With AC:IV, it will cost you an arm and a leg to fully 100% the game. The DLCs, figures, statues, collector books, etc ,etc, will cost you far more than you spent on the game itself.

And with Unity, not only are there about 5+ different versions with different exclusive content, you will need to buy both Arno and Elise's statues, as well. That's about more than half a grand right there.

Sooner or later, Initiates will be some sort of Pay to Win program for the future titles.

-----------

I remember calling Ubi's support center about this and the conversation was repeatedly ''yes, we know'' ''yeah, I know exactly how you feel'' etc, etc.

Why can't they just included all of these DLCs into the Season Pass or something of the sort? A new weapon and robe should not cost me more than the game itself.

I joint you on that one, I surprisingly found myself being a "completionist" and getting pissed off at that marketing strategy - Ubisoft for each game has specific third party business deal and they somewhat "force" their fans to buy the 3rd party extra for their games. Still I could rely on the Mc Farlane figures because they were related to the game, but what about Dr Pepper and Wilkinson exclusive items?

For the McFarlane I bought 2 figures post release in 2013 and the codes that came with both figure did not work. Beside like the rest of the ACs I have all of them (AC games) on two different system (PS3/360), and I could redeem those code for only one system unless I buy twice the same figure for the 2 AC4 version I had.

I also recently tried to participate on the last Social challenge event, I got into frustration because I did not get the reward.

I understand that most of those items are just cosmetic and a lot of people will think that it is futile, but sure for some it does make a difference, and considering that most are ULC (locked content) from the software that you already bought, it is frustrating that you just need a code to unlock those into your game.

Lionhead Studio after all the complains they got from their fans, released on the lives all the extra (exclusives and else) for Fable 2 and 3 that were impossible to get before - They made it payable at reasonable price but I am glad they did that for the fans of their franchise. Ubisoft should do the same and make them available for the ones that want them.

HiddenKiller612
09-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I like to platinum these games. I like to get into the game... work through it, grind through the parts that are grindy... and just overall absorb everything that is Assassin's Creed part 17 act whatever. Some would say that games aren't meant to be 100%ed and they would be right. Companies don't want you to do everything in their game... they want you to play x amount of time, and then go off and buy the sequel. I've never been that way though. I'll take my time, I'll work through a game and plat it if I can... because to me, that's getting my money's worth. Then there's people who just say "that's a waste of time"... and I'll say, paying out the *** for a game you never intend to finish is stupid. If I'm dropping 60 big ones on a game, you bet your sweet *** I'm getting my money's worth.

Shahkulu101
09-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Eh I dunno, I found ACIV easier to complete than ACB and AC2. ACB had some tough 100% sync objectives, and I could never pin down those flags even with their location because they were in tough to get places, sometimes on higher ground that I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to reach. And in AC2, you have to actively look for the feathers with no map which is a huge chore. Heck AC1 is hard to complete because it has 400 flags! So from my perceptions, AC1, 2 and BH are harder to complete than the latter games. Except AC3, I will forever hold scorn for whoever thought the homestead journal was a good idea. I don't think they are actively trying to make it harder to fully complete for players - ubi soft like to fill their games with as much content as possible. Inevitably, a lot of it turns out boring.

As for the DLC and codes on the figurines, I don't care personally. I don't need all the DLC, weapons or outfits if the 100% sync box is ticked - they aren't required for 100% completion so I don't feel these are being released to discourage completionists. Maybe the way they're trying to evolve their games, it gets harder for some people but I doubt considering completionists is even a factor. People who platinum and complete games are the lowest of the low minority - I was shocked when I was looking at the trophy percentage completion feature on the PS4. So little people actually complete the story never mind platinum the games. The story completion trophy for ACIV is at like 30%...

RinoTheBouncer
09-13-2014, 01:08 PM
To be perfectly honest, I never really cared much about completing AC in 100% or any other game. As long as the story and all story-related contents are over, the game is over for me.

I often replay to watch the cutscenes and relive the experience but I rarely focus on whether I did the optional objectives or collected a hundred flags that ain’t gonna do anything for me..etc. especially in AC’s case. There are just too many non-sensical optional objectives that obviously weren’t what the ancestor did, skin an alligator while tailing others? really? or the Animus fragments in ACIV that didn’t unlock anything in the end or guess what? destroying 4 legendary ships that eventually unlocks a powerful ram attack that you won’t need cause you’ve already destroyed the hardest ships ever?

I finished ACII and ACIV 100% but I didn’t really bother with the others cause they’re either too demanding, too pointless or just wasn’t in the mood for them. If they manage to put a story value to each and every side quest and collectible, I will for sure work hard on doing that, but if it’s as pointless as flags or data fragments of ACIV or feathers, I’ll pass.

m4r-k7
09-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I don't mind collectables as I love free roaming.
The parts I hate is 100% every single sequence as you have to do stupid things to get it which I just can't be bothered for, however much I love the game.

Locopells
09-13-2014, 02:14 PM
I feel you bro.

However, not all stuff counts towards the offical 100%, so it depends...

JustPlainQuirky
09-13-2014, 03:07 PM
The only games i tend to always try to 100% are Zelda games.

SlyTrooper
09-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Do you really care about DLC included with figurines? As far as I am concerned, as long as I've reached prestige in multiplayer & I have a big 100% sync icon on my game save for both DLC & the main game, I will be happy.

Fatal-Feit
09-13-2014, 04:00 PM
When a lot of the cool sails, steering wheels, robes, and weapons are included with the figurines, I care.

SlyTrooper
09-13-2014, 04:05 PM
When a lot of the cool sails, steering wheels, robes, and weapons are included with the figurines, I care.

But it isn't required for 100% sync. That's more just you wanting more content.

Fatal-Feit
09-13-2014, 04:21 PM
That is, and it's mostly nitpicking, but at the end of the day, it's still content that should have been in included in the game. Like Connor's sails. They gave you both the Aquila's steering wheel and figurehead, but not sails.

It ruins the collection. :(

Landruner
09-13-2014, 04:38 PM
That is, and it's mostly nitpicking, but at the end of the day, it's still content that should have been in included in the game. Like Connor's sails. They gave you both the Aquila's steering wheel and figurehead, but not sails.

It ruins the collection. :(

Exactly and well said above "It ruins the collection" ++++
I will also add I rather "go fishing and hunting" for additional items and Outfits instead of collecting useless Animus fragments. That will make more sense and more motivating as well.

SlyTrooper
09-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Exactly and well said above "It ruins the collection" ++++
I will also add I rather "go fishing and hunting" for additional items and Outfits instead of collecting useless Animus fragments. That will make more sense and more motivating as well.

They should take a hint from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor & make each collectable have some information attached to it.

guardian_titan
09-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Only AC games I've actually 100% are AC2 and AC3. I tried to 100% AC1 but got bored rather quickly so I just wanted to finish the game. I got what flags I ran into but skipped the rest. I tried to 100% ACB only to get pissed with the various objectives like swing onto a pole from horseback 10 times or whatever. I didn't even try to 100% ACR. AC4, while I now have it, I haven't really bothered much with. After Sequence 1, I started a bit into Havana and quit. Haven't gone back yet. Had to reinstall my OS not long after I got it and been too lazy to reinstall AC4.

Does seem companies don't want you to 100% anything anymore or have you spend an ungodly amount of time and/or money to do so. Microtransactions in casual (supposedly) free games nickel and dime people who don't want to spend the time but have the money. For games you buy, they might have really difficult objects that might take hours for you to 100% but didn't require you had to spend more money. It's understandable they want you to play for quite a while so you're still aware of the series when the next game comes out, but with the internet, is this technique really needed anymore? It was one thing when you got news via magazines, but that's not the case anymore. People's attention can be kept via articles on websites and videos. If the game was good enough, people will find the game website and continue to interact with fans there while waiting for news. Spending hours glued to a game to get that really hard boss, achievement, or objective is no longer needed.

Nowadays, it seems they're attempting to throw in a combination of both microtransations and time sinks just to get you to spend more. That doesn't boost my confidence much in the company. If everything were obtainable in the game itself or via the season pass, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but to go out to buy dolls ... action figures to get some codes for various items in the game ... I don't like that. While I intended to get Haytham's figure as well as Connor in his default white robes and maybe Edward, I won't anymore. Besides being a pain to find in my area (I have little interest ordering them online), that's like another $45 or so on top of AC4 and the season pass and for what? An outfit color I might wear for a single sequence before going back to Edward's default? Ship sails I might only use once? But, while these things are annoying, they're really not required for the game. Isn't it possible to 100% AC4 without buying any of the figures, etc? You miss a few items, but it's still possible to 100% the game otherwise, isn't it? In a case where you feel compelled to buy things that aren't even needed, perhaps you should consider being seen for hoarding. Are you using the extra items you bought? Are they just sitting unopened (outside of getting the code from the box) on a shelf or in a box? Are they sitting out of the box proudly displayed on a shelf or your desk lovingly dusted on a regular basis? If you find yourself regularly buying things you don't need, I'd really suggest getting help. That's like obsessive compulsive disorder. Although Ubisoft (or any other company) isn't helping those people any by putting out so much merchandise that makes those people feel they must have it. That can cause people to go into debt as well or go deeper into debt than they already are.

If maybe 100%ing a game netted you something cool like an additional scene in the Assassin's life after the game ends or something, I might be more inclined to 100% the games these days but meh. All we seem to get (if we get anything) is an outfit I'll never wear which also comes back to the thread regarding things unlocking at the wrong time. Yay! I 100% the game and I got this outfit that I'll wear for 30 seconds. And now I either start over losing my new costume or I never play the game again. :rolleyes: I'd prefer a cutscene or something that I'm not going :mad: over because I can't use it in the next game (if I should be compelled to play a second time). No outfits, no weapons, no armor. Really, getting 100% should serve to add something to the story in some way and make you feel more accomplished for finishing it. Not give you some outfit you'll only get like 30 seconds of use out of because it doesn't carry over to new games, and once you 100% the game, there's no point to continue playing that game.

ShoryukenMan
09-13-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm like you. No point in caring when it's impossible to obtain everything unless you want to fork out the money on those figurines, etc, etc...

As long as my save files say 100% synch, I'm satisfied. True 100% completion is nearly impossible these days.

Sushiglutton
09-13-2014, 08:42 PM
After I stopped pursuing 100% I have enjoyed games a lot more. Now I just do what I want, which is awesome! Like in AC4 I rather raided plantations a second time, or just entered random naval confrontations instead of hunting down every little pointless collectible.

Free yourself! If 100% feels impossible to accomplish that's actually a blessing in disguise as it may break the spell!

Namikaze_17
09-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Meh...I always get around to 94% in AC.

The only game I ever try 100% ing is Kingdom Hearts.

But even then, I still don't. :rolleyes:

SixKeys
09-13-2014, 09:21 PM
After I stopped pursuing 100% I have enjoyed games a lot more. Now I just do what I want, which is awesome! Like in AC4 I rather raided plantations a second time, or just entered random naval confrontations instead of hunting down every little pointless collectible.

Free yourself! If 100% feels impossible to accomplish that's actually a blessing in disguise as it may break the spell!

Thing is, I used to do both. I love replaying games, and even upon replaying I nearly always try to do everything 100%. It's not a chore to me, it's part of the fun. But Ubi's actions with the past few games have made it more like a chore. I honestly don't mind collecting Animus fragments and flags, I have patience for that stuff. What I hate is BS like timed community challenges where you have to go out of your way to arrange your playtime around Ubi's schedule. Instead of being able to leisurely take your time with the game, Ubi tells you "better make sure you have a few hours to spare on August 15th, because if you don't, you'll miss out on your only chance to gain this exclusive in-game unlockable! It's already in the game's code, but the only way you'll ever unlock it is if you spend your evening doing menial tasks on this arbitrarily chosen date!" It's absolute BS. You're locking away one of the coolest outfits in the game (the Explorer outfit) and making it impossible to obtain unless you do exactly what Ubi wants, exactly when they want. It's not even about 100%:ing for the sake of completion, it's about unlocking everything you paid for. Now with Initiates taking on a greater role, you can be certain there's going to be more of this "community unlock" BS locked behind an external website that few people care about. Right now it's just cosmetic stuff like sails and weapons. How long until entire in-game missions are locked behind Initiates or McFarlane collectibles? "Buy this Arno figurine or you'll never be able to play this awesome exclusive mission!" I can totally see that happening.

rickprog
09-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I don't think Amancio meant there's so many weapons it'll be extremely difficult for the player to unlock them. I assume you mean this answer, which was said on PAX's Twitter Q&A:

Q: Can you upgrade everything by the end of the game?
A: You can purchase every skill, because that means you've become a Master Assasin, but gear is a different story.

I am quite sure that it was answered in the context of not being able to have every piece of gear with you at the same time, unlike having every skill available. Of course you can get all the gear, but you won't be able to wear all hoods at the same time, just the one you choose for your outfit, which will make the difference between what type of assassin you are vs the one your friends are (stealth or combat or navigation).

HOWEVER, I completely agree with the other of the points explained. There's just way too much out-of-the-game stuff to have it all, since it would mean buying all figurines they produce, playing all Internet games they make, connecting AC to all your third party accounts and so on. It's getting tiring, to be fair, and there's much of it that comes across as quite expensive.

About 100%ing my games, I really have no issue with it. I like having the 100% synch thing on my game, it looks neat and makes me feel well.

SixKeys
09-13-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think Amancio meant there's so many weapons it'll be extremely difficult for the player to unlock them. I assume you mean this answer, which was said on PAX's Twitter Q&A:

Q: Can you upgrade everything by the end of the game?
A: You can purchase every skill, because that means you've become a Master Assasin, but gear is a different story.

I am quite sure that it was answered in the context of not being able to have every piece of gear with you at the same time, unlike having every skill available. Of course you can get all the gear, but you won't be able to wear all hoods at the same time, just the one you choose for your outfit, which will make the difference between what type of assassin you are vs the one your friends are (stealth or combat or navigation).

That explanation makes no sense. The question was "can you upgrade everything by the end of the game?". With all other AC games, the answer is a clear 'yes'. Obviously Ezio can't wear both the leather armor AND the Seusenhofer armor at the same time, but you can still get both by the end of the game. Amancio literally says: "you can purchase every skill, but gear is a different story". Implying that you cannot purchase all the gear in the game.

Fatal-Feit
09-13-2014, 09:47 PM
That's already obvious.

*cries in a corner* NO, WALLET, NO!

rickprog
09-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Of course you can't purchase everything, there's stuff you'll find through doing missions, and there has always been gear that is exclusive through DLC or that sort of stuff. It would be stupid to leave synch space for additional, outside stuff, so the 100% will still be achievable through only playing the game.

There has been lots of discussion on whether it makes sense to have the upgrading system or not because in the end you'll be able to have everything, so it does make sense that he answered the way he did. In the end, it didn't make sense for Ezio to wear both armors at the same time because they had the same stats, just one was better than the other, which is not the case for gear in ACU.

Landruner
09-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Thing is, I used to do both. I love replaying games, and even upon replaying I nearly always try to do everything 100%. It's not a chore to me, it's part of the fun. But Ubi's actions with the past few games have made it more like a chore. I honestly don't mind collecting Animus fragments and flags, I have patience for that stuff. What I hate is BS like timed community challenges where you have to go out of your way to arrange your playtime around Ubi's schedule. Instead of being able to leisurely take your time with the game, Ubi tells you "better make sure you have a few hours to spare on August 15th, because if you don't, you'll miss out on your only chance to gain this exclusive in-game unlockable! It's already in the game's code, but the only way you'll ever unlock it is if you spend your evening doing menial tasks on this arbitrarily chosen date!" It's absolute BS. You're locking away one of the coolest outfits in the game (the Explorer outfit) and making it impossible to obtain unless you do exactly what Ubi wants, exactly when they want. It's not even about 100%:ing for the sake of completion, it's about unlocking everything you paid for. Now with Initiates taking on a greater role, you can be certain there's going to be more of this "community unlock" BS locked behind an external website that few people care about. Right now it's just cosmetic stuff like sails and weapons.
How long until entire in-game missions are locked behind Initiates or McFarlane collectibles? "Buy this Arno figurine or you'll never be able to play this awesome exclusive mission!" I can totally see that happening.

Well said Six Keys!!!!! I can even more agree with you for every point that you have revealed and written above. (+++++), and it is not that far away that you last sentence is not any speculative or exaggerated.

Ureh
09-14-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm not interested in most of those figurines and shavers, so I don't buy them. Eventually I get over it, not having all the outfits/weapons don't really bother me as long as the elite gear are available without paying extra. For me, they do a pretty decent job of making all the ulc stuff really forgettable and easy to ignore (and I guess it helps that they don't count towards 100% sync). They don't exist cause the games feel complete without them! :p I do hope that when we're on the MD Assassins' side that we don't see all this ulc/dlc stuff... doesn't really make sense for them to be cutting stuff off unless they start their own company.

I'm hoping that the devs don't enjoy seeing their games locked with dlc/ulc. I like to think that if it were totally up to them, that they would make a game that we can complete without being hindered by a bunch of exclusive/paywall stuff. Just think about that designer who made those awesome swords that can only be unlocked by a figurine that costs $10-15. I bet they don't feel happy that only a small portion of their fans will see their handiwork in the game.

That's a really interesting idea though.... That the publishers are using a bunch of ulc to dissuade people from "completing" the game so that they will move on to the next game asap. Maybe! Who knows!? I'm guessing there're a lot of other games that people want to play, some folks have a huge backlog. I wouldn't be surprised if most people who buy AC games are only interested in completing the main story once, finishing it as soon as they can.

Sushiglutton
09-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Thing is, I used to do both. I love replaying games, and even upon replaying I nearly always try to do everything 100%. It's not a chore to me, it's part of the fun. But Ubi's actions with the past few games have made it more like a chore. I honestly don't mind collecting Animus fragments and flags, I have patience for that stuff. What I hate is BS like timed community challenges where you have to go out of your way to arrange your playtime around Ubi's schedule. Instead of being able to leisurely take your time with the game, Ubi tells you "better make sure you have a few hours to spare on August 15th, because if you don't, you'll miss out on your only chance to gain this exclusive in-game unlockable! It's already in the game's code, but the only way you'll ever unlock it is if you spend your evening doing menial tasks on this arbitrarily chosen date!" It's absolute BS. You're locking away one of the coolest outfits in the game (the Explorer outfit) and making it impossible to obtain unless you do exactly what Ubi wants, exactly when they want. It's not even about 100%:ing for the sake of completion, it's about unlocking everything you paid for. Now with Initiates taking on a greater role, you can be certain there's going to be more of this "community unlock" BS locked behind an external website that few people care about. Right now it's just cosmetic stuff like sails and weapons. How long until entire in-game missions are locked behind Initiates or McFarlane collectibles? "Buy this Arno figurine or you'll never be able to play this awesome exclusive mission!" I can totally see that happening.

We have vey different views on this. I have no interest in outfits what so ever. One outfit is a microscopic part of the full content to me. If it's impossible to get, so be it. Running around picking up flags or fragments is a massive, massive chore for me, so I just don't do it anymore. It's still a feature that annoys me, which cheapens the game and I wish Ubi would be better than that. I didn't do any of the social stuff or participated in the by Ubi organized activities in AC4 and I don't feel like I missed out on much.

I can see that for many players these things are an issue and it's fine by me that you are pointing it out ofc. I agree with you that this may be a downward spilral though and that Ubi may try to lock things away that I do care about. It's an unfortunate direction we are heading in.

Moultonborough
09-14-2014, 10:44 AM

-----------

Too late. While it's not something you will be charged for in one of the demo's they show a chest saying you needed to be part of Initiates to open. Another saying a companion app.

Jackdaw951
09-14-2014, 01:48 PM
But we know this shift has been happening more and more. Exclusive in-game content is made impossible to obtain unless you're willing to get a contract with Verizon, buy every AC figurine out there, play a Facebook game or participate in timed community events. I tried to participate in the last batch of community events to obtain the final items I was still missing in AC4, but only recently realized I had forgotten some of them after all. Now I'll never have all the special items in the game.

. . .

Thoughts?

Bingo. You pretty much said what sprang into my mind when I read the thread's title. It's not possible to 100% a game when so many pieces are sliced off and served in a number of cash-grabbing or obtuse ways. Shame, really. Then if they count DLC as part of the total percentage even when you don't own it (as XBL does) then 100% really becomes irrelevant.

I did manage to get all 6 BF community-event items in the final schedule, so Edward's upgrades went to 100%. Then again, a stupid bug kept one of the legendary ships out of the database, so there goes that. I guess this is yet another possible impediment--poor programming.

Fatal-Feit
09-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Too late. While it's not something you will be charged for in one of the demo's they show a chest saying you needed to be part of Initiates to open. Another saying a companion app.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You mean the leak, my friend.

-----------------------

Anyway, I hate it when they lock out the goodies like Edward's Family Swords (my favorite weapon). With AC:U, the Arno and Elise statues will have their unique weapons, as well. :nonchalance:

Moultonborough
09-14-2014, 05:39 PM
No, I don't mean that. It was in a actual official trailer/gameplay/screenshot. Just can't remember but it was released.

Fatal-Feit
09-14-2014, 07:21 PM
There was no such thing.

Anykeyer
09-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Having 100% completion and having 100% of exclusive unlocks arent the same thing. Im completionist by default and I always try to do both and sometimes even more (AC games have plenty of activities that dont affect your total sync). But Im not getting those ugly statues, no thank you very much. Im kinda pisses about stuff like that. Kinda. Not enough to get angry but it definitelly shows publishers uncontrolled greed that at this point probably does more harm than anything else.
And about timed events. They really do discourage those who missed them. Its stupid, especially in single player games. Remind me why publisher wants everyone playing SP game on a certain day again? And there is next to 0 communication, most of the time you dont get advance warning about those events

Ureh
09-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Hopefully in Unity there'll be some kind of in-game bulletin and maybe also send a notification to the email linked to their uplay acc. "Hey everybody, we're gonna start another round of this stuff on _____. So be prepared cause this is the last one." They shouldn't be timed though. Maybe make it like Arkham City's calendar man where the event will "activate" on certain days.

melbye82
09-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Only thing that makes me angry is the multiplayer-trophies, wish they realized that some people don't like MP and gave either/or option like Bioware did with Mass Effect 3. For example one trophy says
"Reach level 20 in multiplayer or level 60 in single-player."

Sesheenku
09-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I certainly don't 100% complete AC games. Most of the side content is dull and repetitive.

I started playing Bravely Default recently and I DO feel like 100%'ing it, cause the side content is engaging and extremely rewarding EVERY time. Square Enix hasn't done the best these last few years but it seems they at least still remember how to make a good game.

As for Ubisoft they need to make "100%" not only possible for all players but make it so that it's rewarding and not just something you do and you say "Oh yeah, I completed it 100%".

Personally that'll never be enough for me to want to complete content, if it's not rewarding or enjoyable I simply won't do it and no, the bit of extra health in AC1 for the ridiculous amount of flags isn't, nor is the cut scene for finding the 100 feathers in 2 and so on and so forth.

Used to be side content in games was meaningful and while at times difficult rewarded you with some awesome piece of equipment, weapon, or at least a very enjoyable experience while you're completing the side content.

AC has devolved into grinding.

LoyalACFan
09-15-2014, 06:28 PM
TBH I think it's just a matter of different retailers/platforms paying out money for exclusive content. Ubi makes more money if they lock content in other purchases (i.e. MacFarlane toys) or contracts with third parties (console exclusives).

Hans684
09-15-2014, 06:36 PM
I should learn coding or something so I can "cheat" to get all locked content in the games.

Fatal-Feit
09-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Uplay will get in the way with that, Hans.

But speaking of which, pirating these games will unlock all of the DLC/ULCs content you want without going out and spending half a grand on unnecessary accessories. :rolleyes:

Now why can't Ubisoft just do that before they move onto their next project?

Hans684
09-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Uplay will get in the way with that, Hans.

But speaking of which, pirating these games will unlock all of the DLC/ULCs content you want without going out and spending half a grand on unnecessary accessories. :rolleyes:

Now why can't Ubisoft just do that before they move onto their next project?

Then I should learn hacking as well or find a way to contact Anonymous.

No idea where to pirate disc versions with all DLC.

That's a good questions, someone should awnser that.

Kakuzu745
09-15-2014, 08:30 PM
I actually wrote this post 4 days ago and just as I hit "Submit", the forums went down. Good thing I always save my text before submitting. :p

Anyway...

I used to be adamant about 100%:ing every AC game. Collect every flag, every chest, every outfit, every weapon, reach full sync in all aspects of the game (including guild/Abstergo challenges) and fully upgrade anything that's upgradeable. It was partly a matter of pride, partly getting every last bit of enjoyment out of each game and partly thinking "if the devs bothered to put all this stuff in the game, I should try to complete it all".

This was back when it was actually doable and, I feel, encouraged. But lately I feel a shift happening. Developers no longer seem to expect players to want to 100% a game by default. Alex Amancio said in a recent interview that while it's possible to gather all the skill points to make Arno into a master assassin, collecting all the weapons in the game might be a different story. He didn't go into detail, but it makes me think there are either so many weapons in the game that nobody in their right mind would try collecting them all (because they might just be slight variations of each class, i.e. 5 different rapiers with little difference in stats) or that it's literally impossible to collect them all if you want your assassin to be more stealth-oriented than warrior class, or vice versa. It's always been par for the course to be able to collect all weapons in AC eventually, so this sudden change seems like an odd departure.

Used to be this would have pissed me off - I'm a completionist, after all, and had plenty of chances to grab what I needed. But the truth is, I'm not really bothered. Because I know it's impossible to obtain every single item created for AC4 in the first place. I'll never have the Kenway family sword or Edward's unique "Haytham" dye, for example, because I don't care about McFarlane figurines. In ACB you could obtain some capes by playing the Project Legacy Facebook game, but people who got the game years later will never have them because PL no longer exists.

I still haven't 100%:ed AC3 or AC4. I might try at some point, but it's no longer the foregone conclusion it used to be. And considering how difficult the devs are making it nowadays to obtain everything, I'm wondering if they've given up on the idea too. Where 100%:ing a game used to be a bragging rights thing for players, maybe now the devs are actively working against completionists by putting SO much stuff in their games that it becomes impossible unless you have superhuman patience and endless money to throw at any exclusive real-world collector's items. Maybe the bragging rights ball in now in the devs' court: with next-gen games, there's so much more content they can put in their games that they no longer want players to be able to collect everything. Basically, "our game is so vast and immense and filled with things to do that ideally, you should lose interest in 100%:ing it before our next game is already on its way." Since this is Ubi we're talking about, the timeframe is typically one year or less. They expect gamers to move on more quickly than they used to, and are ready to tease them with news of another huge game on the horizon.

Thoughts?

Such wise words...it is the same for me. I am obsessed with the 100% for the AC games but it is ridiculously ******ed. In order for me to do that I have to spend money on Schick, Dr. Pepper, McFarlane and even put up with those stupid community quests.

I actually fine with having to use initiates, same with legacy rewards (in terms of if you played AC1 you get this, etc) but this promotional stuff is just lame. Ubi needs to put a stop to this. For me, it iws ruining the most important part of the game.

As you said sixkeys...it is like we are not supposed to 100% the game.

Locopells
09-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Then I should learn hacking as well or find a way to contact Anonymous.

No idea where to pirate disc versions with all DLC.

That's a good questions, someone should awnser that.

Ahem...

DumbGamerTag94
09-16-2014, 02:19 AM
100% games sucks all the fun out for me.

I do story contend and side missions. **** collectables. I do whatever side content I find fun. If it sucks or is a chore I don't do it. And I'm a happy gamer for it.

Hans684
09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Ahem...

I know, never planned do it either way. Just messing around.

Shahkulu101
09-16-2014, 04:31 PM
100% games sucks all the fun out for me.

I do story contend and side missions. **** collectables. I do whatever side content I find fun. If it sucks or is a chore I don't do it. And I'm a happy gamer for it.

I need to get over my compulsiveness and just do what you do, but I can see myself caving in and collecting several hundred animus fragments in Paris..

I'd enjoy the games way more.