PDA

View Full Version : I am ‘Me' in AC:U, but am I the same ‘Me' from ACIV?

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Ok, the title sounds confusing, I know. But since the modern day in ACIV starred “me” (or the floating iPad) as the protagonist of ACIV. And now with AC:U, we’re told the protagonist is also “Me”, so are both “me”s “still me? did the protagonist of AC:U, who will be using the “console” as the Animus or whatever, used to be an Abstergo Entertainment Employee? was it the same “me” who was attacked by the Sage in ACIV modern day? or are we talking about two different people?

They’re trying to “immerse” us into the games by removing the mediator between modern day and historical, and making us the protagonists of the game, but wouldn’t it be pointless of each “me” is a whole different person? discuss...

rob1990312
09-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I think that the last entry of the initiates with shaun reaching out to the initiates for help holds clues for ac unitys modern day. I dont think we will be the same person as black flag. In acu i think we will be a member of the initiates researching for the assassins

SHADOWGARVIN
09-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Based on the interviews we won't be the same "me" from black flag.

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 12:35 PM
That’s terrible! I mean “my” story in ACIV ended with some sort of a cliffhanger and if “I” have become some other version of “me” then there’s no way to know what happened to the other me. I swear those people are perfect in making great gameplay, but don’t know how to write stories, properly.

Farlander1991
09-07-2014, 12:39 PM
There's no cliffhanger in AC4, the local story is finished. You're contacted by the Assassins and start working for them. That's the end of your arc.

rob1990312
09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Thats the problem with different developement teams for each game , continuaty goes out the window

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 12:43 PM
There's no cliffhanger in AC4, the local story is finished. You're contacted by the Assassins and start working for them. That's the end of your arc.

I was contacted by the Assassins, yes, so what’s wrong with continuing from there on? It’s not like “I” had much character development that is too hard to follow up with in the sequel. LOL.

Thats the problem with different developement teams for each game , continuaty goes out the window

Yeah. If it was my own franchise, I’d make sure the team either stays or each new team has complete knowledge of the past games before starting new ones. I still believe that had AC not been annualized, it would’ve been a lot better, even though ACB and ACR were perfect, and even ACIII except for the ending.

Farlander1991
09-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I was contacted by the Assassins, yes, so what’s wrong with continuing from there on? It’s not like “I” had much character development that is too hard to follow up with in the sequel. LOL.

You're trying to critique what you haven't seen yet. They're reorganizing how the modern day story is told. It seems that BF got caught in this sort of 'transitional period' between the two styles of storytelling. Either way, we can't say what's wrong or what's right without seeing the game and what they have actually done.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-07-2014, 12:51 PM
That’s terrible! I mean “my” story in ACIV ended with some sort of a cliffhanger and if “I” have become some other version of “me” then there’s no way to know what happened to the other me. I swear those people are perfect in making great gameplay, but don’t know how to write stories, properly.

Maybe we will see what happened next in rogue's modern day story?

rob1990312
09-07-2014, 12:51 PM
The worst thing is they have someone in charge of making sure that everything fits and is continuous

Shahkulu101
09-07-2014, 12:54 PM
If we are playing as a 'Initiate' I'll just have the head canon that it's the same guy from the Abstergo research program and he's been contacted by the Assassin's to join up with them. Nothing contradicts that, so why not.

Also, In my head I'm not playing as me. That sort of narrative doesn't work for me. His name is Billy Bob, former Abstergo researcher turned Initiate.

rob1990312
09-07-2014, 12:54 PM
The thing is ubisoft has dropped storylines before so it can be hard to keep faith in them to follow this story up

Layytez
09-07-2014, 12:56 PM
The "me" in ACU is a different you compared to ACIV. In ACU I think we are using a game console (Helix) whereas ACIV had their workstations (Omega). If Rouges UI remains the same thats where the ACIV "me" will continue from because I see them trying to make another game out of Rouge as a cover for more POE treasure hunting since we know Shay will come into contact with some.

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 12:56 PM
You're trying to critique what you haven't seen yet. They're reorganizing how the modern day story is told. It seems that BF got caught in this sort of 'transitional period' between the two styles of storytelling. Either way, we can't say what's wrong or what's right without seeing the game and what they have actually done.

I’m just critiquing the concept of having a “me” in the game for the sake of immersion, only to give me a multiple personality disorder.

I’m crossing my fingers to seeing some plot evolution in that, even though I doubt that I should be expecting anything big. Maybe Juno’s story will end in Rogue? or maybe it’ll be like Liberation, but they still said that Rogue has a modern day.

The worst thing is they have someone in charge of making sure that everything fits and is continuous

Why is that? what’s wrong with keeping the story continuous? you either make a game and you know what you’re telling people with it, or you just make sure they’re standalone entries.

rob1990312
09-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I dont think they should make another rogue/black flag game but it wouldnt surprise me if they do,also i dont think junos story will end anytime soon

king-hailz
09-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Hmm it's definitely a different 'me' or 'you'... However they said that there will be a modern day in rogue so maybe the 'me' from ac4 will carry on in AC Rogue!

So now we have to 'me's' if not who do we play as in rogue... is there a new character now... how much simpler would it have been to hire a writer who knows how to write the modern day story with a character like Desmond. I mean I have seen people on the forums who could have written it better! Seriously... its getting too complex now and it started out complex anyway.

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Hmm it's definitely a different 'me' or 'you'... However they said that there will be a modern day in rogue so maybe the 'me' from ac4 will carry on in AC Rogue!

So now we have to 'me's' if not who do we play as in rogue... is there a new character now... how much simpler would it have been to hire a writer who knows how to write the modern day story with a character like Desmond. I mean I have seen people on the forums who could have written it better! Seriously... its getting too complex now and it started out complex anyway.

Give that man a medal for this!

rob1990312
09-07-2014, 01:07 PM
They just dont care about the modern day story thats why it is barely ever mentioned in the marketing not because its super important or secretive but because its too weak a story to market it as the entire bacbone of the series and i think if fans didnt ask about the md on the run up to a new game ubisoft would not mention it once

SHADOWGARVIN
09-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I’m crossing my fingers to seeing some plot evolution in that, even though I doubt that I should be expecting anything big. Maybe Juno’s story will end in Rogue? or maybe it’ll be like Liberation, but they still said that Rogue has a modern day.

So am I. That story deserves a proper ending.

Reptilis91
09-07-2014, 01:11 PM
This time we are really ourselves. In real life, as a person who is aware of the Assassin/Templar War, Ubisoft consider us as an Initiate. Jean Guesdon explain it in his last interview: they're trying to create a universe that is following the real flow of time of our reality. It was already the fact before ACU, but now they want us, the player in front of his TV, to be part of the universe. AC4 present day was a sort of transition.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Which interview? Link?

Legendz54
09-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I am you and you are me and you is me...

Jackdaw951
09-07-2014, 01:28 PM
The modern-day stuff has become a hollowed-out shell. What happens there is just a framework so that hopping around historical segments in a timeline, with desynching instead of death as a consequence for failure, can continue to work. I'm surprised anyone really cares what happens to the "me" protagonist in AC4. Whenever I was him, I just wanted to hurry up and become Edward again.

m4r-k7
09-07-2014, 01:41 PM
I always get confused when Amancio says we are ourselves in Unity's modern day segments as we were "ourselves" in AC 4 as well. Perhaps in AC 4 we were the next very important modern day protagonist. Either that or it was just showing us that Rebecca and Shaun are trying to infiltrate Abstergo.

CoachAssassin
09-07-2014, 02:03 PM
The ''me'' in ACU is an entirely different ''me'', it's meant to be an entire new start to AC narrative wise.

As for Rogue, I think we might continue to follow the ''me'' from AC4BF, another ''me'' would be ****ing ridiculous to say the least.

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 02:39 PM
So am I. That story deserves a proper ending.

Yeah. They really need to focus on the modern day story, not just the historical one. Many of us love AC because of the modern day and first civ. parts, and I’m one of those people. They say people prefer the historical part, it is true, but maybe if they make the modern day more interesting, more people will be into it.

killzab
09-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Yeah. They really need to focus on the modern day story, not just the historical one. Many of us love AC because of the modern day and first civ. parts, and I’m one of those people. They say people prefer the historical part, it is true, but maybe if they make the modern day more interesting, more people will be into it.

Are you gonna give up on the series if ACU and ACRo disappoint you in that regard ?

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Are you gonna give up on the series if ACU and ACRo disappoint you in that regard ?

I won’t give up. I can see the disappointment coming a million miles away. But the series has changed a lot and I always think “maybe someone more efficient will improve it”. I mean I do like the historical stories even though Pirates, Paris and America aren’t really my thing, but I did enjoy the stories told here and there. I’m faithful to the franchise, I just hope it won’t completely betray me.

Sushiglutton
09-07-2014, 02:52 PM
My interpretation is that in AC:U there won't be a 3d-space to explore. In other words there won's be an office with characters like in AC4. Instead you will be able to access all the various modern day fan service (fake e-mails, audiologs, images etc) directly on your console. There might be a light story element, for example some faction may contact you. But no "cutscenes" like in AC4. "You" will have no physical presence in the game.

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 03:08 PM
My interpretation is that in AC:U there won't be a 3d-space to explore. In other words there won's be an office with characters like in AC4. Instead you will be able to access all the various modern day fan service (fake e-mails, audiologs, images etc) directly on your console. There might be a light story element, for example some faction may contact you. But no "cutscenes" like in AC4. "You" will have no physical presence in the game.

That’s even worse. In fact, that’s what I fear most and what I think will most likely happen. I bet they’ll make Juno hack my own console, implying that she’s about to be free or that she’s literally everywhere.

Sushiglutton
09-07-2014, 03:12 PM
That’s even worse. In fact, that’s what I fear most and what I think will most likely happen. I bet they’ll make Juno hack my own console, implying that she’s about to be free or that she’s literally everywhere.

Yeah something like that might happen as kind of a "story". The reason I think MD will be like I describe is because Armancio has said that, contrary to AC4, in Unity you will play as the actual "you". I just don't see how that can be interpret in any other way than that we will not have a "physical pressence" of any kind in the game.

king-hailz
09-07-2014, 03:15 PM

We love the modern day a LOT but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing we love! So I doubt we will give up... However the story in AC4's MD was less important than most days on initiates. Like how hard would it have been to save galina's story from the initiates and put it as the MD in Black Flag and carry on her story in this...

However I had an idea for what the modern day missions could be in ACU, what if the modern day missions are actually in the helix. We do them with Arno kinda like the glyphs in AC2. However instead of being contacted by subject 16 we get contacted by the initiates telling us about this world of templars and assassins. It makes sense because they said the helix give you more than a passive experience so maybe we get told to do missions in the modern day...

Mr_Stunner
09-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I would rather a new Desmond-like arc on the present day (without Desmond of course) I think I get more hyped with a written story on oresent day than this kind of first person light story,,, That has not a great story at all...

JustPlainQuirky
09-07-2014, 04:23 PM
If we are playing as a 'Initiate' I'll just have the head canon that it's the same guy from the Abstergo research program and he's been contacted by the Assassin's to join up with them. Nothing contradicts that, so why not.

Also, In my head I'm not playing as me. That sort of narrative doesn't work for me. His name is Billy Bob, former Abstergo researcher turned Initiate.

Same.

I'm playing as some bloke, but not me.

pacmanate
09-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Prime example of why having 4 games in development at the same time is not a good thing.

Hans684
09-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't care about 'me' as long as we have Initiates. It's better than nothing and it focus on the story.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-08-2014, 10:03 PM
I am 'me' in ACU, but am I the same 'me' from AC4?

Are you sure the only you is you?

EmbodyingSeven5
09-09-2014, 01:03 AM

I hope abstergo aims to kill off all the "me" in the modern day. seriously. there is a Templar me, an abstergo employee me, a gamer of abstergo me and a soon to be assassin me. I get around alot

ShoryukenMan
09-09-2014, 04:21 AM
The only me is me... are you sure the only you is you?

Edit: Darn. Was beaten to the punch.

commonperson
01-24-2015, 06:07 AM
I don't think so, having completed Rogue I believe that "me" is the same "me" as AC IV which basically ties that "me" in to the themes of Shay's experience with the Brotherhood.

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 06:09 AM
This is why they need to get rid of the 3rd person modern day story. It makes things way too confusing.

SixKeys
01-24-2015, 09:20 AM
This is why they need to get rid of the 3rd person modern day story. It makes things way too confusing.

3rd person = Desmond or another character model

1st person = us / floating camera

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 05:11 PM
They’re trying to “immerse” us into the games by removing the mediator between modern day and historical, and making us the protagonists of the game, but wouldn’t it be pointless of each “me” is a whole different person? discuss...

Agreed so much

Hans684
01-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Indeed, this me thing as bad. Imagine if they did the historical part that way, it's damaging the narrative.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 06:46 PM
it's damaging the narrative.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks that way

AjinkyaParuleka
01-24-2015, 07:11 PM
First person didn't do much damage in ACIV,but wrecked the MD of Unity...i play AC for the modern day and there wasn't any :(

auditorevita
01-24-2015, 07:40 PM
In ACU, it was not a modern day.
I think ACV need 3rd person modern day story.

but,please Watch this.

Please read my reply.

The writers and team are happy with the story..

No, there is no remake on unity - sorry to disappoint you.

time will tell about Victory - since nothing is yet known about the game's story ;)

The writers and team are happy with the story!!

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 11:25 PM
3rd person = Desmond or another character model

1st person = us / floating camera

Yea, thats what i meant to say. Do i have to say i love you now or something?

RinoTheBouncer
01-25-2015, 02:34 PM
We need a proper out-of-the-Animus/Helix 3rd person modern day. The whole floating camera and "me" thing just didn't work. I adore the franchise so much, but the 3rd person modern day, the first civ. elements and the whole conspiracy thing are the main reasons that made me love it. I just hope those elements don't have to be ignored forever.

SixKeys
01-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Yea, thats what i meant to say. Do i have to say i love you now or something?

http://i.imgur.com/t0MTAh2.jpg

Fatal-Feit
01-25-2015, 07:53 PM
No, it's not the same ''me'' or ''you''. Apparently in Rogue, the ''you'' in Black Flag was caught and god knows what happened to the poor floating tablet. The ''you'' in Unity is actually really you, though.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LHQnmOyoC3E/T9n5-50Ai4I/AAAAAAAAAEc/GCGxT8mzW1c/s1600/6-keys-to-being-excellent.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/149/d/f/take_a_hint_by_brieana-d51ld7c.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Ubisoft.png
http://cdn.marketplaceimages.windowsphone.com/v8/images/318571a7-e29b-4d80-b457-eac86d23df46?imageType=ws_icon_large
http://evidencebasedliving.human.cornell.edu/files/2011/08/teenagers2.jpg
http://images.clipartpanda.com/call-clipart-casual-call.jpg

SixKeys
01-25-2015, 07:57 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LHQnmOyoC3E/T9n5-50Ai4I/AAAAAAAAAEc/GCGxT8mzW1c/s1600/6-keys-to-being-excellent.jpg

You rang?

Fatal-Feit
01-25-2015, 08:13 PM
the hint

SIXKEYS HAS. SULLIED UBI FORUM
UBI please give hint to six keys.
Is hint really not possible?
I protest to UBI now.

Altair1789
01-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Join the Ubi skype group ( Rated R for ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

SixKeys
01-25-2015, 10:45 PM
the hint

SIXKEYS HAS. SULLIED UBI FORUM
UBI please give hint to six keys.
Is hint really not possible?
I protest to UBI now.

Ubi be change the Six of Keys!

I-Like-Pie45
01-25-2015, 10:47 PM
sixkeys
http://brightestyoungthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/bear-wave-o.gif