PDA

View Full Version : Do you want content to be locked, forcing you to use other apps?

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 07:27 PM
How would you feel if Ubi tried to force you to use other Assassin's Creed applications than the game (like AC-twitter, AC- FaceBook, Initiates, or smartphone apps) by locking content out, unless you connected to these services in some form?

I think that would be a great shame for a few reasons.

I love these games for the immersion they provide. I like to lose myself in these historical worlds! Flling them with objects refering to smartphones, or other external apps really shatters that illusion. The last thing I want to think about, while roaming beautiful Paris, is to connect to Initiates to get a new pair of boots. If the game kept messaging me about these things it would really taint the experience.

The Games are the most important elements of the franchise by far! I don't mind that other external services exists (like this forum!). However they should imo never ever insist upon themselves and in doing so harming the games in any way. Making the games all they can be should always be the overarching goal. Other services can offer support, by allowing fans to connect and dig deeper. But I really hope Ubi never ever compromises with that core experience!

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I like the way the title is structured.

It's like: "Do you want to have your arm cut off, forcing you to be handicapped forever"

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I like the way the title is structured.

It's like: "Do you want to have your arm cut off, forcing you to be handicapped forever"

So how would you structure it Ms Script Writress :p?

Shahkulu101
09-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Omg yes! The thing I want to do most when playing a game is to pause it and go do something else. :)

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 07:34 PM
So how would you structure it Ms Script Writress :p?

Oh no I wasn't joking.

I genuinely like it. Gave me a larf. :p

@shahk

IKR?!?!?!

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Oh no I wasn't joking.

I genuinly like it. Gave me a larf. :p

I tried to present the matter as balanced as I could for this hypothetical scenario ;)

Shahkulu101
09-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Hypothetical...

Bahahaha

Xstantin
09-06-2014, 07:39 PM
That sounds like an amazing, innovative feature!
Of course not.

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Hypothetical...

Bahahaha

It's election time in Sweden, so I've kind of adopted the Politician-language...

Farlander1991
09-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Honestly, I'm fine with it as long as it's not advertised from withing the game itself.
I.e., if the app (or Internet) says, 'if you use this app, you'll get Boots of Unlimited Fraction', and the idem is not seen in the game otherwise, then I'm cool. It's a bonus for using other media, nothing wrong with that.
If the game shows Boots of Unlimited Fraction with a lock, and says 'to get this item you need to use this app on Android', then I'm not cool.

Hans684
09-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't mind apps, Initiates and Facebook as long as there is no connections with the games other than story. Like Memories, it's on it's own and deliver a lot of lore. How can I say no to more story and lore? No idea, I have to be high at least or drunk. As said, serve the story but don't use it to limit stuff in the games. I want to play in peace.

I-Like-Pie45
09-06-2014, 07:52 PM
yes

king-hailz
09-06-2014, 07:53 PM
This will officially be the most immersion breaking AC so far!

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Honestly, I'm fine with it as long as it's not advertised from withing the game itself.
I.e., if the app (or Internet) says, 'if you use this app, you'll get Boots of Unlimited Fraction', and the idem is not seen in the game otherwise, then I'm cool. It's a bonus for using other media, nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this fully. What I don't know about doesn't really hurt me at all!

If the game shows Boots of Unlimited Fraction with a lock, and says 'to get this item you need to use this app on Android', then I'm not cool.

Yeah, if they went crrrazy and did something like this it would be very unfortunate :nonchalance:.

IF....

lothario-da-be
09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
But, using smartphones and tablets in games is innovative!

SHADOWGARVIN
09-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Someone actually voted yes? Why would you want this?

lothario-da-be
09-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Someone actually voted yes? Why would you want this?
Yves.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Yves.

lol. Yeah, maybe he saw the poll and voted yes.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I don't want the content locked. It's like I'm being forced to do something outside of the game to "enjoy" the game.

I-Like-Pie45
09-06-2014, 08:38 PM
no you aren't

don't be greedy liberals

support innovation

pacmanate
09-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Man, I sure do like content locked by other devices even though I just spent 110 on the game :))

I guess if I don't have a smartphone or tablet I will just have to miss out on content that is locked by using a companion app. Oh well, my fault I guess.

lothario-da-be
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Man, I sure do like content locked by other devices even though I just spent 110 on the game :))

I guess if I don't have a smartphone or tablet I will just have to miss out on content that is locked by using a companion app. Oh well, my fault I guess.
It's 2014 Pac, everyone has acces to these devices...

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't.

lothario-da-be
09-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Looks like Pac got deleted, stupid posting limit...
I know the feel Pac, but trust in mods, they will revive you soon.

RinoTheBouncer
09-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I don’t mind the use of companion apps and websites to do certain activities in the game. It’s not as harmful and immersion-breaking as most of you make it sound like.

However. I hope there will be a convincing, story-driven reason behind that, not just doing it for the sake of it. For example, let’s say we have to do something on AC:Initiates to open a chest, I hope it’s explain by some glitch in the Animus that we have to go to AC:Initiates and sort it out via some puzzle or a non-game-related activity to make it happen, like those puzzles in ACIV modern day, or perhaps finding a clue online by “hacking” a page like we were once asked to do so during the days of AC:The Watch.

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I don't have a device that can run apps so...

Even if I did like it, (which I don't. I think it's garbage) I wouldn't be able to use it.

lothario-da-be
09-06-2014, 09:23 PM
I have multiple devices that can run apps, and I rather not have any AC app on them.

RinoTheBouncer
09-06-2014, 09:23 PM
I don't have a device that can run apps so...

Even if I did like it, (which I don't. I think it's garbage) I wouldn't be able to use it.

As far as we know, the only features that require an external website’s intervention are opening some chests and as far as I know, not every chest will require that, but more like the Social Chests of ACIV. I doubt they’ll restrict you from a 100% completion just for not owning an iPad to download the companion app.

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 09:26 PM
still it's annoying not being able to open a chest right infront of you without using an app.

What, Arno was chest-phobic or something?

lothario-da-be
09-06-2014, 09:29 PM
" Desynched, Arno did not open chests without his tablet "

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 09:30 PM

pffft lololol

Hans684
09-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I love being forced to use other medias to progress, can't wait for the day where you have to use apps(and other stuff) to get past the first mission. Force for change!

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I love being forced to use other medias to progress, can't wait for the day where you have to use apps(and other stuff) to get past the first mission. Force for change!

Agree! Having to pause the game, finding my phone and download an app just to open a chest makes the whole experience so much more SEAMLESS!!!

JustPlainQuirky
09-06-2014, 09:37 PM
And yeah that's another thing.

This gimmick goes entirely against Amancio's 'seamless experience' goal.

I genuinely think the 2 weeks is being used to remove/tweak this issue.

At least I keep telling myself that.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Agree! Having to pause the game, finding my phone and download an app just to open a chest makes the whole experience so much more SEAMLESS!!!

lol. Indeed.

Hans684
09-06-2014, 09:42 PM

And it's soooo innovative! It doesn't even break the seamless flow of the games, it's fun jumping around like a rabbit to every possible media as possible for more access seamlessy. Imagine having to watch a movie to get access or buy a pair of AC themed pants. It's as good as it gets!

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 09:45 PM
And it's soooo innovative! It doesn't even break the seamless flow of the games, it's fun jumping around like a rabbit to every possible media as possible for more access seamlessy. Imagine having to watch a movie to get access or buy a pair of AC themed pants. It's as good as it gets!

You know what would be amazing? Let's say after 15 min of the movie you get a code so you can unlock a pair of boots in the game. With those boots you can unlock a special twitter account. If you tweet a secret message, which can be found on FB, to that account you get a code so you can watch another 15 min of the movie!

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-06-2014, 09:50 PM
As much as I see this being annoying -- the title is pretty heavily biased.

It should have just been "Do you want to unlock in-game content via different apps?" with the answers being what they currently are right now plus a third that's basically like "meh, doesn't bother me too much either way" so that way you, more or less, all the possible different opinions. You're already dipping one side in a negative light instead of letting the voting show the popular opinion here for itself.

It's like if I made a poll and asked, "Which AC game do you prefer? AC2 or that god awful, pitiful excuse AC3?" I dislike AC3, a lot of others dislike AC3, sure. But there's no reason to do that in the poll. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of having to use apps like that. That said, inFamous had a website you could do to unlock like..a few more missions but the website itself was cool. It was like an ARG only you got an actual reward in-game for it too. I'm not opposed to that but I AM opposed to like... how they did special outfits/skins for AC4 that you could only get by purchasing an action figure or whatever. THAT'S ridiculous.

Hans684
09-06-2014, 09:56 PM
You know what would be amazing? Let's say after 15 min of the movie you get a code so you can unlock a pair of boots in the game. With those boots you can unlock a special twitter account. If you tweet a secret message, which can be found on FB, to that account you get a code so you can watch another 15 min of the movie!

That would be heaven on earth. After all that you have only unlocked mission 2, then you repeat it again for the next missions but differently on random medias that's connected.

Ureh
09-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Assuming the rumours are true, that certain chests are linked to Initiates, then hopefully the process doesn't turn out to be identical to the missions+badges in the beta.

When I was completing the Initiates mission stages it would go something like this:
1. have my oversized laptop next to me (temperature in my room can become really high cause the console, tv, and comp were on simultaneously), click button to start the mission
2. pick up my controller then start performing certain actions in the game
3. afterwards I keep repeating the actions, trigger hdd saves and refreshing the page until the Initiates status is updated (which took anywhere between a few seconds to 5 minutes or more)
4. looking back and fourth from the tele to the monitor, picking up and putting down my controller several times, etc
5. move on to the next stage or mission, rinse and repeat everything.

Also my phone is over 4 years old so I'm not sure if it'll be able to support the app.

NondairyGold
09-06-2014, 10:09 PM
As much as I see this being annoying -- the title is pretty heavily biased.

It should have just been "Do you want to unlock in-game content via different apps?" with the answers being what they currently are right now plus a third that's basically like "meh, doesn't bother me too much either way" so that way you, more or less, all the possible different opinions. You're already dipping one side in a negative light instead of letting the voting show the popular opinion here for itself.

It's like if I made a poll and asked, "Which AC game do you prefer? AC2 or that god awful, pitiful excuse AC3?" I dislike AC3, a lot of others dislike AC3, sure. But there's no reason to do that in the poll. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of having to use apps like that. That said, inFamous had a website you could do to unlock like..a few more missions but the website itself was cool. It was like an ARG only you got an actual reward in-game for it too. I'm not opposed to that but I AM opposed to like... how they did special outfits/skins for AC4 that you could only get by purchasing an action figure or whatever. THAT'S ridiculous.

This....
Talk about rigging the vote :)

Sushiglutton
09-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Lol you're not wrong :D. To me the voting is so super obviously rigged, it becomes a bit of a (dry) joke. That was my intention anyhow.

RinoTheBouncer
09-06-2014, 10:57 PM
OMG that made me laugh haha. Awesome idea, man!

Landruner
09-06-2014, 11:35 PM
How would you feel if Ubi tried to force you to use other Assassin's Creed applications than the game (like AC-twitter, AC- FaceBook, Initiates, or smartphone apps) by locking content out, unless you connected to these services in some form?

I think that would be a great shame for a few reasons.

I love these games for the immersion they provide. I like to lose myself in these historical worlds! Flling them with objects refering to smartphones, or other external apps really shatters that illusion. The last thing I want to think about, while roaming beautiful Paris, is to connect to Initiates to get a new pair of boots. If the game kept messaging me about these things it would really taint the experience.

The Games are the most important elements of the franchise by far! I don't mind that other external services exists (like this forum!). However they should imo never ever insist upon themselves and in doing so harming the games in any way. Making the games all they can be should always be the overarching goal. Other services can offer support, by allowing fans to connect and dig deeper. But I really hope Ubi never ever compromises with that core experience!

I learned by source last week that Unity is going to be a grid of this kind of online feature + additional pay wall for SP side missions and other online turpitude for the players. I opened a thread and it seems that not so many wanted to believe me....

SHADOWGARVIN
09-06-2014, 11:39 PM
There has been no news to suggest there will be additional pay walls to unlock certain content.

Shahkulu101
09-06-2014, 11:41 PM
The title basically describes what happens anyway, the wording is just more frank. He's not lying, so I see no problem with the title at all...

m4r-k7
09-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Lets put it this way. If I could meet the person who introduced this feature and continually supports the addition of mobile, twitter and facebook connectivity to the game, I would need someone with me to stop me from bursting out with anger and perhaps killing the guy with a split in half AC disc.

Continue the evolution of gaming in terms of AI, graphics, immersion and fun
But
Stop trying to revolutionise the gaming world by saying this gen is all about "connectivity" and telling us to download these stupid apps and giving us a "second screen" - All we want is simple gaming!

:D

SixKeys
09-07-2014, 01:48 AM
10/10 poll, would vote again.

HiddenKiller612
09-07-2014, 04:43 AM
I think it's a terrible idea. Stupid, and so many things can go wrong... just like the social chests, whales, and ships in ACIV... Stop with this "everything including the sink" needs to be connected stuff. It is beyond annoying. I just want to put the game in and play. Not loop around different things to unlock chests and everything. If you were just going to lock players out of certain chests... you should have just removed them entirely.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-07-2014, 06:02 AM
The title basically describes what happens anyway, the wording is just more frank. He's not lying, so I see no problem with the title at all...

The word "force" is a negative term. One could word it to make it sound better than it actually is as well: "Would you enjoy getting even more content for your game, to use whenever, while simultaneously enjoying another app or would you prefer not to get any of that extra stuff :/?"

That makes it sound more pleasant than it actually is and creates a bias against the other choice. If everyone agrees on it being bad, then the poll should reflect that without needing to show any bias.

I'm pretty sure most people view exclusive content as dumb and unfair. When the Playstation gets extra content for a game on both systems, or when an Xbox does, it's just hurting the players. One COULD write a topic on that in a number of ways, each reflecting a different POV or bias

- "Look at how the one system is getting preferential treatment and access to MORE content than the other -- but both cost the same price! Do you think this unfair strategy is okay or should be gotten rid of?"
- "Look at how this system is getting bonus content! That's extra, EXCLUSIVE, content for you to enjoy in your game! Do you like this neat offer or would you rather not get free bonuses?"
- "One system is getting exclusive content not available on the other system. Do you think this is a fair system and should stay or do you think it's an unfair system and should be gotten rid of?"

So yes, the whole locked content thing is unfair but so is not giving it any sort of chance.

JustPlainQuirky
09-07-2014, 06:06 AM
So yes, the whole locked content thing is unfair but so is not giving it any sort of chance.

I saw how the sh*t works in action.

It sucks.

robinthefactory
09-07-2014, 06:19 AM
I have bad news guys. I saw a "certain" game play video and the guy roaming around ran into two chests. One needed to be opened by playing the Assassin's Creed Unity Companion App and the other needed to be opened by Assassin's Creed Initiates,

LoyalACFan
09-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I learned by source last week that Unity is going to be a grid of this kind of online feature + additional pay wall for SP side missions and other online turpitude for the players. I opened a thread and it seems that not so many wanted to believe me....

I mean, I don't know what you expected, it's incredibly hard to believe that there will be missions that require you to whip out a credit card and pay a few buck before you can access them. They'd be practically begging for a class-action lawsuit with that one. You just came on here and said "hey, I heard from some mysterious source that this happens in the game" without really providing us with any real evidence.

You're a regular contributor here and you've never done any trolling like this before, so I don't think you're making it up, I just think you must be misinformed. The companion app BS is annoying and will likely be a big headache for everyone involved (social events, anyone?) but literally requiring you to pay for content bit by bit to finish the game would be the sleaziest move any publisher has ever pulled. I don't believe it.

robinthefactory
09-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I mean, I don't know what you expected, it's incredibly hard to believe that there will be missions that require you to whip out a credit card and pay a few buck before you can access them. They'd be practically begging for a class-action lawsuit with that one. You just came on here and said "hey, I heard from some mysterious source that this happens in the game" without really providing us with any real evidence.

You're a regular contributor here and you've never done any trolling like this before, so I don't think you're making it up, I just think you must be misinformed. The companion app BS is annoying and will likely be a big headache for everyone involved (social events, anyone?) but literally requiring you to pay for content bit by bit to finish the game would be the sleaziest move any publisher has ever pulled. I don't believe it.

I have evidence from my claim. Just sayin'.

Farlander1991
09-07-2014, 08:03 AM

Well, we do already know IIRC that there're going to be microtransactions to get some things without playing, but those aren't 'paywalls', as the same content is going to be unlocked just by playing the game, like you would in single-player AC. (Unless it's some kind of DLC, I suppose)

Ubisoft is not stupid to make the game have AAA-price tag and be played by full F2P principles.

Fatal-Feit
09-07-2014, 08:04 AM
I have evidence from my claim. Just sayin'.

Your claims are a few weeks old.

Just Super Saiyan.

robinthefactory
09-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Your claims are a few weeks old.

Just Super Saiyan.

;_;

Hans684
09-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Who actually enjoys locked content? I don't see a reason to give it a chance, it doesn't give me the entire game. It's blocking my seamless experience.

robinthefactory
09-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Who actually enjoys locked content? I don't see a reason to give it a chance, it doesn't give me the entire game. It's blocking my seamless experience.

What is ACU without seamlessness?

Landruner
09-07-2014, 08:42 AM

I understand, and trust me, I hesitated quiet a bit before opening that thread on this forum since that info should have staid just personal, and it was not really smart from me to do that, but now I did it so I have assume my total lack of discretion in this matter. i also understand that it looks unbelievable, but this is true.
Like you said I am not trolling and I really got it by genuine European source(s), and I wished I misunderstood it - thrust me.

So believe it or not beside the rest of the online crape they planted on Unity - Some SP side missions are going to be locked behind a pay wall (I do not know if they contribute for the total completion of the game or not, but for sure they are going to be locked on the software you bought and unlock-able by payment later).
That is not misinformation. but indeed what they plan to do.

Hans684
09-07-2014, 08:49 AM
I understand, and trust me, I hesitated quiet a bit before opening that thread on this forum since that info should have staid just personal, and it was not really smart from me to do that, but now I did it so I have assume my total lack of discretion in this matter. i also understand that it looks unbelievable, but this is true.
Like you said I was not trolling and I really got it by genuine European source(s), and I wished I misunderstood it - thrust me.

So believe it or not beside the rest of the online crape they planted on Unity - Some SP side missions are going to be locked behind a pay wall (I do not know if they contribute for the total completion of the game or not, but for sure they are going to be locked on the software you bought and unlock-able by payment later).

I wouldn't go in to much details regarding source(s) if I where you, your in the Ubisoft's forums. It's their front door, don't knock to much. Now they know their genuine European.

What is ACU without seamlessness?

A cake, the cake is a lie. So they let us eat cake.

Landruner
09-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't go in to much details regarding source(s) if I where you, your in the Ubisoft's forums. It's their front door, don't knock to much. Now they know their genuine European. .

Well, Europe is vast and I don't think they can track it, I do not think they can (could they?) or I don't think they even care now ....
Note: I already mentioned somewhere by replying in my original threat that the link was from Europe anyhow, and I don't think that "genuine" fear(s) for repercussion neither - but yep, you are right Hans, for some reasons, I should stay away from forum like this one. I just like those damned AC games.....

Hans684
09-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Well, Europe is vast and I don't think they can track it, I do not think they can (could they?) or I don't think they even care now ....
Note: I already mentioned somewhere by replying in my original threat that the link was from Europe anyhow, and I don't think that "genuine" fear(s) for repercussion neither - but yep, you are right Hans, for some reasons, I should stay away from forum like this one. I just like those damned AC games.....

Indeed it is but technology can do wonders. Just be more carefull, not saying you should leave the forums. Just not say your new information often(better to PM it for people who want it), it might also get the mods/admins attention. Not a great spot to be in if things go bad.

Landruner
09-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Indeed it is but technology can do wonders. Just be more carefull, not saying you should leave the forums. Just not say your new information often(better to PM it for people who want it), it might also get the mods/admins attention. Not a great spot to be in if things go bad.

Yes, you are absolutely right, but it did not really matter anyhow like I wrote above, for personal reasons it was already stupid of me to open a thread and spread that bad news on that forum, but it does not really affect anyone there since I did not go to the media with that link.

I come back to the topic to stay in line:
I though that the apps could have been a nice idea on a piece of paper, but it alas those apps are part of business deals among Ubisoft and third parties - forcing the AC players to get in touch with the products that support those apps.

So yep, I disagree with their implantation in our games and I banish this practice.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I saw how the sh*t works in action.

It sucks.

Good for you? I know it sucks. I completely agree.

Probably very few. I don't mean to give it a chance in your mind -- not like a "play it first, give it a chance" -- I simply mean, don't cast it in a negative light with a poll and give it a chance that people will vote that they may not care too much OR they like the idea. If the overwhelming majority agree that it sucks, then there's no reason for the biased wording as the voting results will clearly display those sentiments. If everyone already agrees that it sucks, what's the point in having a poll? Might as well just make a thread saying "Locked content sucks" and have everyone comment their agreement.

Hans684
09-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Probably very few. I don't mean to give it a chance in your mind -- not like a "play it first, give it a chance" -- I simply mean, don't cast it in a negative light with a poll and give it a chance that people will vote that they may not care too much OR they like the idea. If the overwhelming majority agree that it sucks, then there's no reason for the biased wording as the voting results will clearly display those sentiments. If everyone already agrees that it sucks, what's the point in having a poll? Might as well just make a thread saying "Locked content sucks" and have everyone comment their agreement.

It's a thing that's always been in a negative light but it's the company's that just can't let it go, their making money of it. It's good business.

Jackdaw951
09-07-2014, 02:13 PM
It's 2014 Pac, everyone has acces to these devices...

Nope. Some of us use cell phones to make and receive phone calls (*gasp!*) and nothing else. We don't use Androids or iPhones. And we sure as hell resent having smartphone apps wedged between us and our console games.

This sort of connected nonsense already pollutes AC4. You cannot be a completionist in that game without going online for Kenway's Fleet and the (now-defunct) community events. Kenway's Fleet is really a shallow, foreign app, with a console port of it stuck into the game. I want to see less (much less) of this in the future, certainly not more.

Ubisoft is not stupid to make the game have AAA-price tag and be played by full F2P principles.

In business circles (not creative ones) that would be considered smart, if they can get away with it. Ubisoft's business circle can be illustrated by this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY5L95BOQTg).

Layytez
09-07-2014, 02:19 PM
The title is bias.

RinoTheBouncer
09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I’d rather have everything in the game with only extras on external websites and apps. Even though I don’t really mind these as long as they’re well-made, free of glitches and not reliant on other people’s mercy to join me. I’d like to finish my own game without having to beg people to send out some ships that may or may not appear to me in my Kenway Fleet, for example and I hope the app will be made by professional app makers, as the ACIV companion crashed more than it actually worked and I have an iPad Air, not an old model that could be the cause for it’s malfunction.

Sushiglutton
09-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Might as well just make a thread saying "Locked content sucks" (...)

Well this is pretty much what I wanted to say... The poll is just a bit of a joke. I mean just read the first alternative. I guess part of the reason I wrote it this way is because we are not really allowed to discuss the topic freely. Humour is a good way to deal with censorship I find :).

pacmanate
09-07-2014, 04:52 PM
1. You pay 45+ on a game
2. Content in the game is locked, this means:
- Annoyance that you just paid full price and don't get access to the whole game
- Potential OCD's kicking in that you can't open everything on the map cause you don't have a secondary device
- Pure annoyance of having to look at a second screen to open a chest
- Renders the "lockpick" skill kinda useless seeing as you won't be able to open "companion" or "initiate" chests
3. People who do not have a smartphone or tablet will not get access to all game content, despite paying full price for the game if not more due to special editions
4. Companion app support could very well discontinue in the future, meaning people who buy the game in 2016/7 might not have support and can't open chests. (Already happening with Black Flags community challenges)
5. Again, annoyance for having to go to a website to unlock chests again. There is no logic behind having to use a companion app or a website to unlock a chest.

Done.

JustPlainQuirky
09-07-2014, 04:53 PM
1. You pay 45+ on a game
- Annoyance that you just paid full price and don't get access to the whole game
- Potential OCD's kicking in that you can't open everything on the map cause you don't have a secondary device
- Renders the "lockpick" skill kinda useless seeing as you won't be able to open "companion" or "initiate" chests
3. People who do not have a smartphone or tablet will not get access to all game content, despite paying full price for the game if not more due to special editions
4. Companion app support could very well discontinue in the future, meaning people who buy the game in 2016/7 might not have support and can't open chests. (Already happening with Black Flags community challenges)
5. Again, annoyance for having to go to a website to unlock chests again. There is no logic behind having to use a companion app or a website to unlock a chest.

Done.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130430151721/glee/images/9/94/Blaine-This.gif

I can't even afford an iphone to use the apps and no way I'm going out of my way to get one for this poor excuse of a gimmick.

SlyTrooper
09-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't want a tablet. I don't want a smartphone. I don't want to make a Facebook account. I don't want to make a Twitter account. I don't want to go on Initiates.

Does that answer your question?

Landruner
09-07-2014, 06:42 PM
1. You pay 45+ on a game

Done.

What do you suggest Mate? - Shall we show some "Unity" to Ubisoft that we are against it, or shall we stay crying about it?
If you guys are in, I am in too and I bring some more people with me.

JustPlainQuirky
09-07-2014, 06:43 PM
I think it's already pretty clear to Ubi that people don't like this [edit]

Mr_Shade
09-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Lets not bypass the swear filter please...

JustPlainQuirky
09-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Ah right my bad sorry.

SolidSage
09-07-2014, 07:24 PM
@OP
It sucks. All that side app stuff should have zero affect on game CONTENT. It really chaffes my arse. They should use it for challenge achievements like Rockstar Social Club or something.

This whole mindset that "hey, dedicate your entire life, existence and purpose...and time spent on the internet, to our Assassin's Creed game is AB.SO.LOUTELY effing ludicrous.
Someone in Ubi needs to draft a memo informing the Development Strategists that Players DON'T LIKE TO BE PENALIZED for having lives!

FFS, shall I log into your Apple only app and chase Templar air currents for 5 days so I can unlock the EXTRA sharp pointy stick that's already ON my disc? Or should I just have more of my interest in Ubisoft franchises eroded by these terrible and immature marketing practices?

I mean it just comes across as SO desperate to generate false 'click' numbers on some bogus side project. "Here, do this so we can lie to investors about this site having a TON of interest and we'll give you this mission that we should really be giving you anyway".

Desperate and underhanded means. Do.Not.Like. :)

Xstantin
09-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't mind spending some time looking for hidden collectibles which are in game and won't go anywhere, tracking something like social chests and white whales just gets tiresome.

VitoAuditore
09-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I really wouldnt like it if you gotta do stuff on apps etc to acces content either. Why dont they just make it so that stuff is still available if u dont use the apps, but using the apps makes it faster/easier? I will wait and see how it turns out tho, I havent read enough info to judge yet.

pacmanate
09-07-2014, 08:29 PM
What do you suggest Mate? - Shall we show some "Unity" to Ubisoft that we are against it, or shall we stay crying about it?
If you guys are in, I am in too and I bring some more people with me.

I would suggest a rebellion and I would be happy to lead it however.

We don't know what the companion app does, either way, people might not have one which still sucks.
We don't know how Initiates properly works. If its just a one time visit then thats all G, still not good but still.

Landruner
09-07-2014, 08:51 PM
I would suggest a rebellion and I would be happy to lead it however.

We don't know what the companion app does, either way, people might not have one which still sucks.
We don't know how Initiates properly works. If its just a one time visit then thats all G, still not good but still.

You...you mean a...a... A Revolution!?! Look for a game that cover that topic of Revolution, how ironical it is when it happens by its core of fans LOL.:p !
However: rather be :mad:!!!!! because after all those years of good servitude to that franchise that we adore, we should not be that way....!

In short, after the "Black Flag" we are not going to pull the "White Flag" and surrendering to the of "Tyranny of King Guillemot".LOL!

Look, if you are indeed serious and really want to do something about it, PM me and we can see and study what you can concretely do, and yes you can be the leader and like we say in France since July 14th 1789 "ah ca ira...ca ira.... sacrebleu!!!"

Edit and Disclaimer: This reply is not intended to inspire any disorder on this forum or even inciting anyone to Boycott Ubisoft and its products,

LoyalACFan
09-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Like you said I am not trolling and I really got it by genuine European source(s), and I wished I misunderstood it - thrust me.

Indeed, I know you aren't just making it up but I also know how rumors work. Someone credible misunderstands something, and when they tell other people they believe him and say they got it from a credible source. Then they spread it to more people who also got it from what they believe is a credible source. If I believed every rumor I heard from a non-troll, I'd still be waiting on the Samuel Fey game.

The gimmickry with the companion app and all that is annoying, but it's just a ploy to get more people aware of the app, and Initiates. Making the player pay real money straight to Ubi's pockets to unlock side content is about as anti-consumer as you can get, and I truly don't believe they're stupid enough to go that route. If they really did something that underhanded and scummy, Unity will be the last Ubisoft game I ever buy unless they immediately patch it out of the game, issue refunds, and vow to never do it again.

Shahkulu101
09-07-2014, 10:56 PM
I still feel burned by that Sam Fey rumour.

I was totally pumped for a Victorian London game.

LoyalACFan
09-07-2014, 11:04 PM
I still feel burned by that Sam Fey rumour.

I was totally pumped for a Victorian London game.

We'll probably still be getting one sooner or later, it's a pretty popular request. Back in the pre-AC3 days I assumed the games would go Third Crusade -> Italian Renaissance -> French Revolution -> Victorian London -> Feudal Japan -> Ancient Egypt.

Kakuzu745
09-08-2014, 06:17 AM
I like companion apps and all that stuff. However...locking content or linking that content with apps or a promo is just the worst.

I mean, I dont want to drink a freaking dr. pepper to have all the weapons available in the game or get to lvl 3 in initiates.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Well this is pretty much what I wanted to say... The poll is just a bit of a joke. I mean just read the first alternative. I guess part of the reason I wrote it this way is because we are not really allowed to discuss the topic freely. Humour is a good way to deal with censorship I find :).

Oh I understand. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or be an annoying little pest. I'm just saying.

Trust me -- I AGREE. IT's really stupid. This wouldn't be the first time Ubi's done this. They did it with Brotherhood -- you could unlock exclusive capes for Altair to wear (like the Medici cape from AC2 or something) by completing missions in some facebook app/game. Unfortunately, I wasn't ware of it at the time and when I finally decided to 100% complete the game, I discovered those capes online... only the app/game was taken off of Facebook and I was thus unable to access the content for the game that others got. So stupid.

Landruner
09-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Oh I understand. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or be an annoying little pest. I'm just saying.

Trust me -- I AGREE. IT's really stupid. This wouldn't be the first time Ubi's done this. They did it with Brotherhood -- you could unlock exclusive capes for Altair to wear (like the Medici cape from AC2 or something) by completing missions in some facebook app/game. Unfortunately, I wasn't ware of it at the time and when I finally decided to 100% complete the game, I discovered those capes online... only the app/game was taken off of Facebook and I was thus unable to access the content for the game that others got. So stupid.

Good point indeed, I was hoping and wishing that they either put the Project legacy on Initiates or Unlock them by doing action.
AC2 had something like that too for some Black dye that you can only unlock if your were buying AC2 handle on Verizon only. Also if you had a AC2/PS3 some additional swords if you were buying PSP Bloodline.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Good point indeed, I was hoping and wishing that they either put the Project legacy on Initiates or Unlock them by doing action.
AC2 had something like that too for some Black dye that you can only unlock if your were buying AC2 handle on Verizon only. Also if you had a AC2/PS3 some additional swords if you were buying PSP Bloodline.

Yup. Forgot about the swords and stuff. I believe you could also get the bonus black dye for AC2 if you bought the GOTY edition or something. But it's still stupid.

Kakuzu745
09-08-2014, 10:44 PM

And they just keep repeating it...Dr. Pepper promotion, Community Challenges...

hood3dassassin5
09-09-2014, 02:24 AM
As long it's a bonus and not shown in game(like Initiates sails in Black Flag) I'm fine with it.

And ssshhhhhh!! Don't give them them any ideas.;)