PDA

View Full Version : Designing the Future of Assassin's Creed (GameInformer Video)

pacmanate
09-05-2014, 08:08 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/09/05/designing-the-future-of-assassin-39-s-creed.aspx?utm_content=buffer7f8c9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

JustPlainQuirky
09-05-2014, 08:18 PM
The possibility of co-op sticking around forever?

Not sure how I feel about that.

It sounds like a nice thing, but it might influence level design and world structure in a negative way...

Bah, we'll see I suppose.

Xstantin
09-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Biggest threat to the brand?
Initiates. Please don't kill me

JustPlainQuirky
09-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Initiates.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

lothario-da-be
09-05-2014, 08:28 PM
This.
And the connected shizzle. Don't make AC something it isn't supposed to be. While I liked the ac MP it clearly wasn't designed for MP and now it's gone...
I am ok with coop staying if it doesn't become their focus.

Sushiglutton
09-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Meh, not happy about that interview at all. Nothing beats a strong SP experience with a great narrative. I don't want to connect to all kinds of services etc. Those are just distractions from the core. Disapointed this now seems to be their main focus. I can understand if it seems innovative and cool from a director perspective. Not what makes a game good though imo.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-05-2014, 08:33 PM

*Gulp*

Xstantin
09-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Deus Ex people seem to be leaning in the same direction with the connected universe talk. I guess it's the thing. Not sure what to make of it. After seeing today's Rogue discussions it's not something I'd like to see tbh. Confusing stories are good when their goal is to be confusing

lothario-da-be
09-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Meh, not happy about that interview at all. Nothing beats a strong SP experience with a great narrative. I don't want to connect to all kinds of services etc. Those are just distractions from the core. Disapointed this now seems to be their main focus. I can understand if it seems innovative and cool from a director perspective. Not what makes a game good though imo.
it seems to be Ubi's vision as a whole I fear. Watch dogs, ac4, acu, the devision, far cry 4...
I hope this hype dies fast. It ruins gaming, together with pre-order dlc, season passes, network passes, DRM, microtranscations, buggy releases and more stuff I forgot.

Hans684
09-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Or it's savior.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-05-2014, 08:37 PM
The possibility of co-op sticking around forever?

Not sure how I feel about that.

It sounds like a nice thing, but it might influence level design and world structure in a negative way...

Bah, we'll see I suppose.

I was hoping it would be limited to unity.

I don't want to be forced to use initiates or something else to unlock certain features.

JustPlainQuirky
09-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Same.

Moving co-op to other games would undermine Unity's biggest selling point.

But hey that didn't stop Ubi before

If it means a connor/eseosa/aveline/shay's kid co-op game I'd so be up for it.

Sushiglutton
09-05-2014, 08:42 PM
it seems to be Ubi's vision as a whole I fear. Watch dogs, ac4, acu, the devision, far cry 4...
I hope this hype dies fast. It ruins gaming, together with pre-order dlc, season passes, network passes, DRM, microtranscations, buggy releases and more stuff I forgot.

Yeah, it is kind of worrying that they are doing this with their entir portfolio. I mean it's not like there isn't a ton of gameplay/content strcuture/narrative etc improvements do be done.

lothario-da-be
09-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Same.

Moving co-op to other games would undermine Unity's biggest selling point.

But hey that didn't stop Ubi before

If it means a connor/eseosa/aveline/shay's kid co-op game I'd so be up for it.
ubi is starting to bring coop to all it's games lately. And I don't like it. Euh the worst thing about this new generation is that everything NEEDS online features, MP,COOP, Tablet integration. Don't force things on us gamers, look at what happend to the xbox one.

JustPlainQuirky
09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah I never really use online.

Even though I plan on using Unity's co-op, I probably wont use it much.

lothario-da-be
09-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Yeah I never really use online.

Even though I plan on using Unity's co-op, I probably wont use it much.
Coop missions can be played solo though, so I can enjoy them alone playing slowly in my own style. And I have 2 friends that will get Unity on ps4, at least it will be possible to strategize with them.

Sushiglutton
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
ubi is starting to bring coop to all it's games lately. And I don't like it. Euh the worst thing about this new generation is that everything NEEDS online features, MP,COOP, Tablet integration. Don't force things on us gamers, look at what happend to the xbox one.

That's an interesting point with the X1. Ubi must hav started this before they knew what would happen spring 2013...

JustPlainQuirky
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
@lothario

Well I already bought a ps4 headset so I might as well.

lothario-da-be
09-05-2014, 08:57 PM
@lothario

Well I already bought a ps4 headset so I might as well.
You could always play with people on the forums if you don't have friends to play coop with.

lothario-da-be
09-05-2014, 08:59 PM
That's an interesting point with the X1. Ubi must hav started this before they knew what would happen spring 2013...
They seems to keep going full force with online conectivity though, I hope it changes but I fear not.

Kakuzu745
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Connectivity is good...as far as it is not forced...I hope they really get to understand this someday.

pacmanate
09-05-2014, 09:05 PM
The only way I can like Co-Op is if its like in AC Unity. I don't mind side missions being Co-Op but that can also be done solo.

If they start adding Co-Op short stories I won't be happy.

Hans684
09-05-2014, 09:12 PM
What I don't want in single player:

Apps connections for X bad reasons.

Online limitations.

Co-op exclusive stuff.

DLC(unless free with the game like Left Behind)

Microtransactions

Etc... You all get the points.

Lonnie_Jackson
09-05-2014, 09:43 PM
I think having the option is great. Maybe cause my girlfriend always tries to "backseat gameplay" and finally we'll get to play together in the AC universe as a team. I don't mind the apps and other devices, but I don't like the fact that content is locked to said optional devices. If they can keep the multi experience in and not limit the content I will be happy.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Co-op is neat as long as they keep it contained to side missions. I'd also like the ability to free roam between co-op missions. So that way you can all run to the "starting point" for the next mission or just mess around in the open world. Maybe they already have that?

As for apps, I like apps that are a bonus. Like you connect it to the game and you can use your Vita or phone as a map instead of having to open up the map in-game. Check your inventory, etc.

SlyTrooper
09-05-2014, 11:33 PM
I hoped they would cover more on Rogue. Disappointing.

m4r-k7
09-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Its annoying this gen is focusing so much on connectivity as I prefer playing my AC games solo. Saying that, it will be interesting what type of multiplayer modes they will bring out in the future. I hate the mobile thing and hope you won't need an app on your phone in the future to play the game as that would be incredibly annoying.

The threat question was really interesting as even though the internet explodes with "i am getting bored of the AC franchise, it comes out every year and its getting stale" etc etc, the team don't see that as a threat (probably because of the insane number of sales) The team know they are working on a unique franchise and know they have stumbled across something special with the brand which I love.

As long as Ubisoft use interesting time periods and give us a polished and good quality product, I don't care how many games they make. I say keep the franchise alive forever!

pacmanate
09-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Co-op is neat as long as they keep it contained to side missions. I'd also like the ability to free roam between co-op missions. So that way you can all run to the "starting point" for the next mission or just mess around in the open world. Maybe they already have that?

I thought you could free roam, but don't take my word for it. They might have meant free roam during missions.. which isn't really free roam.

m4r-k7
09-06-2014, 12:02 AM
^ No you can definitely free roam. If I remember correctly, during an interview, Amancio said you go to a tavern and join your friends game and free roam together. You can then choose to do missions.

pacmanate
09-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Dash my buttons! That is good news!

m4r-k7
09-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Yup free roaming with friends is the one thing I have wanted since I started the series.

SlyTrooper
09-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Dash my buttons! That is good news!

To quote Rick Gervais: "Old news isn't news... It's olds."

LoyalACFan
09-06-2014, 02:11 AM
Eh, the whole connectivity/companion app junk is just a passing trend MO. It'll die off eventually. Right now it's just the new shiny toy devs want to implement, but nobody's really jumping for joy over them.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-06-2014, 02:39 AM
^ No you can definitely free roam. If I remember correctly, during an interview, Amancio said you go to a tavern and join your friends game and free roam together. You can then choose to do missions.

Oh... I thought he meant like, go to the tavern, see their game, then join and for whatever reason, i thought it'd begin like a co-op mission. I... I don't know.

Matt.mc
09-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Yup free roaming with friends is the one thing I have wanted since I started the series.

Me too. My friends and I would be sitting around with one of us playing AC and thinking, "Damn, imagine if they were to make it coop!"

AdamPearce
09-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Only you can't play coop on the same screen which is plain STUPID. You will watch your friend play with some random across the world while you're sitting around doing nothing, what a great experience ! It's funny how Ubisoft (and most game companies) put the enphase on connectivity, a device used to ease human relations, but fail to progive the most basic of them, interactivity.

LoyalACFan
09-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Only you can't play coop on the same screen which is plain STUPID. You will watch your friend play with some random across the world while you're sitting around doing nothing, what a great experience ! It's funny how Ubisoft (and most game companies) put the enphase on connectivity, a device used to ease human relations, but fail to progive the most basic of them, interactivity.

To be fair, it would be quite a headache to play an AC game on 1/4 of the screen. Splitsceen coop usually works best with shooters, methinks.

marvelfannumber
09-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Well if they were to do split screen I imagine it would run like ****, I've played TPS's on the PS2 which drop to like 15 frames per second on splitscreen. A next gen sandbox game would probably be a slideshow.

I pray that one day AC will be splitscreen though.

^ No you can definitely free roam

YES! Now I can't wait to climb Notre Dame with a friend, and once we reach the top I'll push him off the wrong side while I do a leap of faith!

AHAHAHAHA........I should seek help.

m4r-k7
09-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Oh... I thought he meant like, go to the tavern, see their game, then join and for whatever reason, i thought it'd begin like a co-op mission. I... I don't know.

No I think you can go to taverns for brotherhood missions (as shown in the E3 single player demo) When you want to play one it will find other online players who want to play that mission as well (normal matchmaking / invite friends to play missions)

But other than that, Amancio said you will see a ghostly outline of your friends character in the tavern sitting at a table and you can just join their game.

rprkjj
09-06-2014, 02:16 PM
I wanna see what they do with Initiates and how it affects the main game, but connecting it to chests seems like the most annoying thing they can do. Co-op free-roam is going to be awesome though.

Landruner
09-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I told you guys, see? I was not lying - and wait for the Pay walls news being released soon.

SHADOWGARVIN
09-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't remember you saying anything about co-op in future games or apps to unlock content.

Bashilir
09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I told you guys, see? I was not lying - and wait for the Pay walls news being released soon.

Yes. Thank you oh Wise One. Tell us the date of when the information of the Pay Walls will be released.

In seriousness, I think Co-Op staying around, if done correct, will be a good thing. Keep it optional and keep it minimal,