PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood is actually a really good game.

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Of course, I still think the characterization, some bits of writing and antagonists suck but as a whole, this is a really good game. Ezio's is the person he SHOULD have been in the middle of AC II. He's distrustful of strangers, distant with associates and does not joke with people he does not deem as close friends or allies. (I really liked how Egidio tries to joke all the time but Ezio just reciprocates with a cold stare) he's not huggy huggy and friendly with everyone he runs into and he actually feels like a normal human. He has flaws and insecurities which he eventually gets over. He's an overall more human protagonists than he was in AC II.

That said, what I really like about ACB's side missions is that they're a part of a whole--itching at the Borgia's power and influence. Everything feels important and meshes well together. Assassination contracts, War machines, faction missions, Towers, Lairs of Romulus and Templar agents. They're all a part of diminishing Borgia influence and power and it all makes sense (apart from the lack of a date when starting the missions) they're very well organized and structured (The courtesan missions handle the political side, the thieves handle the underground and the mercenaries handle the Assassination of important figures)

It's a fun, organized and complete game.

poptartz20
09-05-2014, 06:45 PM
it starts.. lol.

I really do need to replay this game. it's been so long. not to mention I really rushed through it. :| not like it was that long anyways, but still.

It's on my official to do list!

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 06:51 PM
it starts.. lol.

I really do need to replay this game. it's been so long. not to mention I really rushed through it. :| not like it was that long anyways, but still.

It's on my official to do list!
Here's what you should do. When Ezio starts liberating Rome, choose a set of side quests to do every sequence. Like..there's 11 Borgia towers. 4 war machine missions, 6 Romulus lairs and 8 Templar agents. You can 2 of each every sequence or just vary the numbers and then add spice by also doing Assassination contracts, courtesan assignments and thief missions. As a whole, it makes a really fun experience.

poptartz20
09-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Ahh! Okay I'll try that approach, Thanks!

Kaschra
09-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I wonder how many people think that you are trolling

However, I do agree. I was not too fond of ACB during my first two playthroughs, but after a third time I really started to appreciate it. Even Rome, which I didn't like before.
Especially the side missions are great, some of the best of the whole franchise.

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
I wonder how many people think that you are trolling

However, I do agree. I was not too fond of ACB during my first two playthroughs, but after a third time I really started to appreciate it. Even Rome, which I didn't like before.
Especially the side missions are great, some of the best of the whole franchise.
Probably most people think so, like with that thread I made about why I loved AC II and that I'm marrying someone from here:p

Indeed, I did see the flaws in Ezio and his humanization but i did not appreciate them and now I did when I look at it differently. The side missions and how they're well connected together and with the story are what really make them amazing.

ACfan443
09-05-2014, 07:21 PM
I agree, I thought ACB was a thoroughly enjoyable and well-rounded experience. As with any game it had its fair share of flaws, but what they were able to achieve in a fairly short period of time is pretty remarkable.

But

I'm deeply concerned about your health M, you feeling alright?

EmptyCrustacean
09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Was there ever any doubt it was? Brotherhood is the Arkham City of ACII. Just a brilliant game in every way hat simply expands the greatness of its predecessor. It introduced the mission constraints system which made it easier if you hate auto fails and harder if you're an OCD completionist like me. The main campaign is great as well as the side missions - which is something recent AC games have lacked. Aside from the collection bugs, it's great.

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
I agree, I thought ACB was a thoroughly enjoyable and well-rounded experience. As with any game it had its fair share of flaws, but what they were able to achieve in a fairly short period of time is pretty remarkable.

But

I'm deeply concerned about your health M, you feeling alright?
Agreed.

I have a slight fever and my nails itch, is that normal?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-05-2014, 07:25 PM
I felt the same way about ACR. I really disliked it, aside from a couple parts here and there (like the end), the first time through. I still dislike that absolutely nothing moved Desmond's story forward and it doesn't feel all that connected to AC2/ACB.

But I LOVE the way dens work. Not the den defense aspect, that's still dumb, but the way Templars can attack and take over (as long as you haven't 'locked' them yet) whic h can provide stuff to always do even after finishing everything else. And the cool thing is that as long as you don't head to a den that's being attacked, you won't get into den defense. Instead, the Templars will take over and then you'll need to find the captain again and assassinate him so that's neat.

Also, upon replaying it -- the city is phenomenal. It's one of the DENSEST cities ever. It feels large and the descending buildings can make parkouring down really fun and it also gives a real sense of scale. The architecture is also really neat -- I really enjoyed all of the cities in the games up to this point but Rome was lacking a bit. It felt more bland compared to the ones from AC2. Everything looked the same while Florence and Venice each had a unique atmosphere. There were also the smaller areas like the mostly countryside town, the dark and gloomy town (that you go to in order to get to Venice) and yeah. Rome was just one city + countryside. It was by no means bad but it just got repetitive a bit. ACR on the other hand, doesn't suffer as much from it because of the aforementioned descending/ascending buildings. It's mostly sloped, you've got bazaars like in AC1, there are ziplines to expedite things from time to time, etc. Sure it gets repetitive a bit since it's only one city but each area of the city felt more different than the different parts of Rome.

The city is the biggest positive in ACR and for an AC game...that's a pretty important thing to have.

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Was there ever any doubt it was? Brotherhood is the Arkham City of ACII. Just a brilliant game in every way hat simply expands the greatness of its predecessor. It introduced the mission constraints system which made it easier if you hate auto fails and harder if you're an OCD completionist like me. The main campaign is great as well as the side missions - which is something recent AC games have lacked. Aside from the collection bugs, it's great.
Yeah, I was so busy criticizing ACB's huge pile of crap of story, characterization and antagonists that I forgot how cool it was oh and AC II was crap too, don't even try. ACB expanded on the complete lack of ambiguous conflict between the Templars and Assassins.

other than that, ACB was really good.

My new AC ranking is:

AC IV
AC III/ AC I
ACR/ACB
AC II

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 07:27 PM
I felt the same way about ACR. I really disliked it, aside from a couple parts here and there (like the end), the first time through. I still dislike that absolutely nothing moved Desmond's story forward and it doesn't feel all that connected to AC2/ACB.

But I LOVE the way dens work. Not the den defense aspect, that's still dumb, but the way Templars can attack and take over (as long as you haven't 'locked' them yet) whic h can provide stuff to always do even after finishing everything else. And the cool thing is that as long as you don't head to a den that's being attacked, you won't get into den defense. Instead, the Templars will take over and then you'll need to find the captain again and assassinate him so that's neat.

Also, upon replaying it -- the city is phenomenal. It's one of the DENSEST cities ever. It feels large and the descending buildings can make parkouring down really fun and it also gives a real sense of scale. The architecture is also really neat -- I really enjoyed all of the cities in the games up to this point but Rome was lacking a bit. It felt more bland compared to the ones from AC2. Everything looked the same while Florence and Venice each had a unique atmosphere. There were also the smaller areas like the mostly countryside town, the dark and gloomy town (that you go to in order to get to Venice) and yeah. Rome was just one city + countryside. It was by no means bad but it just got repetitive a bit. ACR on the other hand, doesn't suffer as much from it because of the aforementioned descending/ascending buildings. It's mostly sloped, you've got bazaars like in AC1, there are ziplines to expedite things from time to time, etc. Sure it gets repetitive a bit since it's only one city but each area of the city felt more different than the different parts of Rome.

The city is the biggest positive in ACR and for an AC game...that's a pretty important thing to have.
I agree about cities, I just can't like Rome as much as I like Florence, Venice and Constantinople.

shobhit7777777
09-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Its a great game indeed. I had a lot of fun waging guerrilla warfare in Rome.

Logistics, infrastructure, networking, strategic attacks, propaganda, building an economy and winning hearts and minds - being T.E Lawrence, Orde Wingate and J. Tito all rolled into one.

pacmanate
09-05-2014, 08:17 PM
I've been saying AC:B was good before it was cool.

aka, before M

Kakuzu745
09-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I was so busy criticizing ACB's huge pile of crap of story, characterization and antagonists that I forgot how cool it was oh and AC II was crap too, don't even try. ACB expanded on the complete lack of ambiguous conflict between the Templars and Assassins.

other than that, ACB was really good.

My new AC ranking is:

AC IV
AC III/ AC I
ACR/ACB
AC II

It really is amazing what replaying a game can do...replaying AC4 also helped me to like it more than AC3 and ACB (which I did not do before).

Donīt you wanna replay AC2 and see if you change your mind? :P

Shahkulu101
09-05-2014, 09:25 PM
I agree...I bloody love Brotherhood and every time I replay it I have a ball.

Just an entertaining game through and through.

Assassin_M
09-05-2014, 09:34 PM
It really is amazing what replaying a game can do...replaying AC4 also helped me to like it more than AC3 and ACB (which I did not do before).

Donīt you wanna replay AC2 and see if you change your mind? :P
I was actually going on an Ezio trilogy marathon and I replayed AC II before I started ACB and nothing really changed with AC II for me. It still had the same problems and nothing shined to make me overlook those problems but I already did a thread about why I love AC II anyways, so

king-hailz
09-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I actually see AC2 ACB and ACR as one giant game! Like I see The Lord of the Rings as one giant movie. And as a whole game it is absolutely Amazing!

king-hailz
09-05-2014, 09:43 PM
My AC ranking is

AC2
ACR/AC4
ACB/AC1
AC3

rprkjj
09-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Brotherhood is the AC I've probably sunk the most time into, and it's my favorite next to AC4. ACB actually beats out AC4 when it comes to quality side content imo, if only because of data fragments on sand bars. Glad you came around.

SixKeys
09-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I keep wanting to start my ump-teenth ACB playthrough even though I have so many other games waiting. You're not helping. :p

ACB is special to me for many reasons. It came out at a time in my life when I was going through a really hard time and felt I had nothing to look forward to. On my darkest days coming home from a ****ty job I hated, literally the only thought that kept me going was "maybe when I turn on my computer, there'll be news about ACB". It may sound pathetic, but this game - no, just the promise of this game - kept me alive. (I feel like this should go in the confessions thread.) As excited as I was for every new trailer and article, I was also so afraid it wouldn't live up to my expectations, precisely because I felt I had nothing else to cling on to at the time. That it would be a steaming pile of disappointment and I would feel stupid for ever getting so emotionally attached.

But it didn't disappoint me. I got exactly what I expected, and given how high my expectations were, that's saying a lot. I know a lot of people criticize the story and objectively I know it's not an amazing piece of writing, but I simply don't care. The characters' relationships were what drew me in. The way Ezio and Claudia's relationship was expanded on and she actually got a role to play other than that of the shallow, spoiled little sister. The way she interacted with Ezio actually made clear that the hero wasn't perfect - Ezio chewed her out completely hypocritically when she decided to start running the brothel, despite him having no qualms about flirting with every woman he met. He clearly thought himself better than the prostitutes. Just the thought of his little sister becoming one of them was a disgraceful thought to him. But Claudia and the other girls throughout the game showed him that these "wh*res" Ezio had such contempt for could actually be clever and resourceful.

Aside from that, I also appreciated that Machiavelli and the others didn't let Ezio off easy when they found out Rodrigo was still alive. AC2's ending felt like such a cop-out to me, I was glad to see someone else tell Ezio that he was an idiot for letting the Pope go. That decision had direct consequences on the events that followed (the Villa that we worked so hard to restore being destroyed, Uncle Mario's death) and clearly had an impact on Ezio's character. While he still retained his playful side, he became more determined and driven. Like M said, every side mission is tied in some way to the liberation of Rome. Evetything had a reason to exist, however flimsy. Even the guild challenges had the framing device of Ezio having to prove himself to the various guilds to gain their loyalty and trust. In later games they're just there for no plot-related reason.
On another character-related note: I love the Da Vinci Disappearance DLC. Ezio and Salai's interaction is almost like older Ezio talking to his younger self. Salai is reckless, flirty and over-confident, and Ezio seems annoyed at him for being that way. Ironic considering it's exactly how he started out in AC2.

I also loved modern day. It was more involved than in AC2 and the camaraderie between the team was a joy to watch. They joked around but emotions were clearly running high and they would get into fights as well ("That's racist! -You're racist!"). In the e-mails they had cute little character moments, like Rebecca accusing Shaun of stealing her yoghurt, Shaun telling bad jokes and Lucy comforting a depressed Rebecca. The ending was the biggest mind**** in AC's history. Just the fact that you were in control of Desmond's movements when he was taken over by Juno. You could sense what was about to happen and you didn't want to move, but there was no choice. Subject 16's cryptic messages were even deeper than before. All those places and people he mentioned, from ancient times to modern days, and then meeting him and hearing his incoherent ramblings....It felt like the series could go anywhere after that. So many new questions raised, so much potential. I won't get into the disappointment that followed with ACR as that would ruin the mood.

I also love the soundtrack. It's heavier and more foreboding, but also has some relaxing, slightly mysterious tracks like "Echoes of the Roman Ruins" and the VR Room theme.

And the city? I love Rome. I simply do not understand people who think it's ugly or boring. Thanks to all the side missions, on my first playthrough it felt like the map went on forever. Perching atop a viewpoint at sunset, watching as the city slowly dims and then small lights appear here and there to illuminate it, is simply breathtaking. The countryside reminds me of Tuscany which is my favorite location in AC2. The ruins and landmarks have so much character.

And I don't care if the combat is ridiculously easy. It's also ridiculously fun and fluid. Once you get a kill streak going, you feel like such a badass. I don't generally care about combat, I play AC for other things, so having a combat system that feels satisfying and looks visually cool is enough for me. None of the other games have matched that fluidity.

The multiplayer was my first venture into multiplayer in any game. I still remember how tense I was, afraid other people would realize I suck and send me tons of hate. But it actually suited me really well, since it was about observing and taking your time, not rushing for the maximum amount of kills. After playing it for a while, I realized I was actually pretty good at it. I don't have to suck at multiplayer games! It gave me confidence to trust in my own playstyle and try other MP games, even though none have ever come close to capturing my imagination the same way.

Tl;dr Yes ACB is a really good, fun game with a lot to offer if you take your time exploring. The main quest is on the short side, but I've never been the type to rush through games.

ACfan443
09-05-2014, 10:59 PM
And the city? I love Rome. I simply do not understand people who think it's ugly or boring.
Wholeheartedly agree, Rome is a fantastic space to explore. I really loved the clean, classy baroque architecture that helped differentiate the city from its AC2 counterparts and gave it a much needed fresh look and feel. Exploring the non-rural areas under the moonlit sky with all those glowing street lamps was one of my favourite things to do, the ambient lighting helped set the most wonderful mood.

And of course traversing the city couldn't have been as immersive as it was without this accompanying glorious masterpiece track that brought everything together.

http://youtu.be/wwVvkf5CeJU

mmac900
09-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Finally some love for the ezio triolgy! I absolutely love every single game and I feel like they just got better with each one, with ACR being the best AC game to date.

Megas_Doux
09-05-2014, 11:34 PM
It is a matter of perspectives, however here is my overall feeling:

ACB is my least favorite in the series. I find Rome, despite its grandeur landmarks -my favorite ones in fact- a lackluster version of AC IIī cities. I have been to Rome a lot of times and I loved it, but the ingame version lacks, the colour palette looks bland, the buildings in the centro districts are way scaled down and MANY landmarks are missing in order to favour the gigantic boring countryside instead I suppose. The ruins district and the Vatican are pretty cool though. But overall, it is the game in which I like to free roam the least, may be that also had to do with the annoying cliffs that kept blocking my path also.

Then we have its linear, predictable and cartoonish story full of; linear, predictable and cartoonish antagonists. There were no susprises or plot twists to be found, the worst templar crew in the series. I disliked the antagonists in the previous game, so I hoped Cesare Borgia to be better, he could have been a great templar, he was a very talented general that excelled in both combat and strategy. But NO! instead he was reduced this time to a spoiled little brat yealing "GUAAAARDS" all the time, and that goes for the rest of the crew, that at times it felt like this:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/DoRightCast.JPG

I swear to Zeus that is not Ezio rescuing Pantasilea from Baron de Valois

However the side content is my second favorite in the series, the modern gameplay is actually good, graphics are certainly improved from AC II, the soundtrack is fine and Pax Romana is my favorite "ending" mission to date.

RA503
09-05-2014, 11:56 PM
I re-start playing every game in the series since AC 1 until unity and rogue, and I is current in brotherhood DLC, is good start this discussion.

one thing I must say, every one noted that brotherhood's ending is very crazy ? is the most mind blowing thing in the entire series, and is not because of lucy's death, start at sequence 8 ending everything become really strange.

first : sequence 8 ends with cesare being arrested and the game suddenly jump four years in the future(is a really huge junk of ezio's life that we don't know what rappened, the DLC is a small part of it) , cesare escape from prison is only mentioned in the database and the player is left in the middle of a war.

second: cesare became a really crazy character from nothing he pulls the idea that is not will be killed by hands of man like if he is a first civilization member.

third : juno's speak don't make sense until now, is not like minerva in the and of 2 that we understand more or less what she says, everything juno's says fills disconnected and random, and she is not sealed in the grant temple ? how she have influence here ?

Farlander1991
09-06-2014, 12:08 AM
There's an irony in games and game narrative. If a game has got awesome mechanics but non-sensical story, it's a great game. But if it's got a great story but poor mechanics, then it sucks. Brotherhood is... not an example of that irony. Because Brotherhood falters at game design level, it's not a great game (read until the end though those who like Brotherhood until you start complaining :p ). The kill streaks absolutely breaks the already broken combat. Crossbow combines advantages of knives and hidden gun, eliminating the need for a choice between those two. Poison darts eliminate the strategic depth of poison hidden blade. Brotherhood mechanic is essentially a button that can solve 95% of your problems without breaking a sweat. I can go on.

All that being said, while Brotherhood is not a great game, nor does it have a great story, it's a great experience. And one might argue (the 'one' being me :p ) that it's far more important. I've noticed that I like a lot of especially well-designed games less than a bunch of games with flawed designs, and the reason behind that is that the latter ones managed to provide an experience that I enjoyed more.

One of my most memorable moments in Brotherhood was infiltrating the Castello near the end, while commanding my Assassins to take care of the guards on the far walls and towers, to remain unnoticed. That sequence just felt awesome and badass.

This is why the connection of all side activities being part of taking down the Borgia is all important, because despite of all the possible design flaws - it's all integral part of the experience that the game provides of building a Brotherhood to take down an oppressive regime.

SixKeys
09-06-2014, 12:27 AM
All that being said, while Brotherhood is not a great game, nor does it have a great story, it's a great experience. And one might argue (the 'one' being me :p ) that it's far more important. I've noticed that I like a lot of especially well-designed games less than a bunch of games with flawed designs, and the reason behind that is that the latter ones managed to provide an experience that I enjoyed more.

One of my most memorable moments in Brotherhood was infiltrating the Castello near the end, while commanding my Assassins to take care of the guards on the far walls and towers, to remain unnoticed. That sequence just felt awesome and badass.

I agree. Games that provide me with immersive experiences are far likely to hold my interest than games that I know are technically better, but where I'm simply not as invested in the world or story. Everyone praises Uncharted 2 which was okay IMO, but although it addressed many of the problems of UC1, I still haven't finished it. I just couldn't get into the story and atmosphere as much. It's also why AC1 remains my very close second favorite in the AC franchise. It's a flawed game in so many ways, but the emotional experience it gave me is unrivaled.

LoyalACFan
09-06-2014, 12:48 AM
The only things I can concede that Brotherhood did right were the side missions (it annoyed me that there was no escape from the relentless and boring anti-Cesare campaign but the missions themselves were mostly fun) and the combat (yes, a child could beat every fight, but it looked great and felt fluid). Beyond that, I hated the city except for the northwestern quarter of it, the story was insultingly stupid, and the new tools were EXTREMELY unbalanced.

That said, I can respect that people have fond memories of it; I can look past many of AC2's faults because it came along at just the right point in my life. But I'm still pretty firm in my opinion that AC4>AC2>AC1>ACR>ACB>AC3.

Namikaze_17
09-06-2014, 04:33 AM
"May the Faceless one grant you the peace you seek."

But yeah, I feel what everyone is saying, my second playthough of AC4 was a Blast...it made me really appreciate Edward's story, character, motives, etc. ;)

Ureh
09-06-2014, 06:47 AM
I like the colour palette in this game. The clouds casting their shadows across the city. All the little details you notice in/around the buildings/landmarks, npcs, gameplays, etc. I was just playing it again, a few days ago, and was admiring how much work was put into everything.... even a simple bowl looks more amazing than the ones in my house! Side missions. Solid music. . S16 puzzles + the modern day cliffhangers. At first the story might seem brain-dead, but there are a few intricacies and gems.

Most of the countryside is pretty decent too, except for those "tree islands".... those are kinda wierd. The ruins, the farms, the hills, etc. Quite beautiful indeed.

Multiplayer is something I would love to hate.... but I can't. It's a solid (and addictive) experience.

LoyalACFan
09-06-2014, 08:36 AM
The clouds casting their shadows across the city.

Now that you bring that up I do remember that, it was a nice visual touch. Looked really nice in the Centro district especially. I only really remember it during the time lapse sequences though, i.e. when you send Leonardo off to make an invention for you or rebuild one of the faction HQ's.

ajl992008
09-06-2014, 01:27 PM
The side missions were brilliant but for me it still doesn't excuse the terrible story, dialogue and ridiculous lack of assassinations (on top of that they weren't open ended after the many awesome assassinations of ac2). Of all the AC games I was most hyped for brotherhood and was most let down by that game.

ze_topazio
09-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I keep wanting to start my ump-teenth ACB playthrough even though I have so many other games waiting. You're not helping. :p

ACB is special to me for many reasons. It came out at a time in my life when I was going through a really hard time and felt I had nothing to look forward to. On my darkest days coming home from a ****ty job I hated, literally the only thought that kept me going was "maybe when I turn on my computer, there'll be news about ACB". It may sound pathetic, but this game - no, just the promise of this game - kept me alive. (I feel like this should go in the confessions thread.) As excited as I was for every new trailer and article, I was also so afraid it wouldn't live up to my expectations, precisely because I felt I had nothing else to cling on to at the time. That it would be a steaming pile of disappointment and I would feel stupid for ever getting so emotionally attached.

But it didn't disappoint me. I got exactly what I expected, and given how high my expectations were, that's saying a lot. I know a lot of people criticize the story and objectively I know it's not an amazing piece of writing, but I simply don't care. The characters' relationships were what drew me in. The way Ezio and Claudia's relationship was expanded on and she actually got a role to play other than that of the shallow, spoiled little sister. The way she interacted with Ezio actually made clear that the hero wasn't perfect - Ezio chewed her out completely hypocritically when she decided to start running the brothel, despite him having no qualms about flirting with every woman he met. He clearly thought himself better than the prostitutes. Just the thought of his little sister becoming one of them was a disgraceful thought to him. But Claudia and the other girls throughout the game showed him that these "wh*res" Ezio had such contempt for could actually be clever and resourceful.

Aside from that, I also appreciated that Machiavelli and the others didn't let Ezio off easy when they found out Rodrigo was still alive. AC2's ending felt like such a cop-out to me, I was glad to see someone else tell Ezio that he was an idiot for letting the Pope go. That decision had direct consequences on the events that followed (the Villa that we worked so hard to restore being destroyed, Uncle Mario's death) and clearly had an impact on Ezio's character. While he still retained his playful side, he became more determined and driven. Like M said, every side mission is tied in some way to the liberation of Rome. Evetything had a reason to exist, however flimsy. Even the guild challenges had the framing device of Ezio having to prove himself to the various guilds to gain their loyalty and trust. In later games they're just there for no plot-related reason.
On another character-related note: I love the Da Vinci Disappearance DLC. Ezio and Salai's interaction is almost like older Ezio talking to his younger self. Salai is reckless, flirty and over-confident, and Ezio seems annoyed at him for being that way. Ironic considering it's exactly how he started out in AC2.

I also loved modern day. It was more involved than in AC2 and the camaraderie between the team was a joy to watch. They joked around but emotions were clearly running high and they would get into fights as well ("That's racist! -You're racist!"). In the e-mails they had cute little character moments, like Rebecca accusing Shaun of stealing her yoghurt, Shaun telling bad jokes and Lucy comforting a depressed Rebecca. The ending was the biggest mind**** in AC's history. Just the fact that you were in control of Desmond's movements when he was taken over by Juno. You could sense what was about to happen and you didn't want to move, but there was no choice. Subject 16's cryptic messages were even deeper than before. All those places and people he mentioned, from ancient times to modern days, and then meeting him and hearing his incoherent ramblings....It felt like the series could go anywhere after that. So many new questions raised, so much potential. I won't get into the disappointment that followed with ACR as that would ruin the mood.

I also love the soundtrack. It's heavier and more foreboding, but also has some relaxing, slightly mysterious tracks like "Echoes of the Roman Ruins" and the VR Room theme.

And the city? I love Rome. I simply do not understand people who think it's ugly or boring. Thanks to all the side missions, on my first playthrough it felt like the map went on forever. Perching atop a viewpoint at sunset, watching as the city slowly dims and then small lights appear here and there to illuminate it, is simply breathtaking. The countryside reminds me of Tuscany which is my favorite location in AC2. The ruins and landmarks have so much character.

And I don't care if the combat is ridiculously easy. It's also ridiculously fun and fluid. Once you get a kill streak going, you feel like such a badass. I don't generally care about combat, I play AC for other things, so having a combat system that feels satisfying and looks visually cool is enough for me. None of the other games have matched that fluidity.

The multiplayer was my first venture into multiplayer in any game. I still remember how tense I was, afraid other people would realize I suck and send me tons of hate. But it actually suited me really well, since it was about observing and taking your time, not rushing for the maximum amount of kills. After playing it for a while, I realized I was actually pretty good at it. I don't have to suck at multiplayer games! It gave me confidence to trust in my own playstyle and try other MP games, even though none have ever come close to capturing my imagination the same way.

Tl;dr Yes ACB is a really good, fun game with a lot to offer if you take your time exploring. The main quest is on the short side, but I've never been the type to rush through games.

Wholeheartedly agree, Rome is a fantastic space to explore. I really loved the clean, classy baroque architecture that helped differentiate the city from its AC2 counterparts and gave it a much needed fresh look and feel. Exploring the non-rural areas under the moonlit sky with all those glowing street lamps was one of my favourite things to do, the ambient lighting helped set the most wonderful mood.

And of course traversing the city couldn't have been as immersive as it was without this accompanying glorious masterpiece track that brought everything together.

http://youtu.be/wwVvkf5CeJU

There's an irony in games and game narrative. If a game has got awesome mechanics but non-sensical story, it's a great game. But if it's got a great story but poor mechanics, then it sucks. Brotherhood is... not an example of that irony. Because Brotherhood falters at game design level, it's not a great game (read until the end though those who like Brotherhood until you start complaining :p ). The kill streaks absolutely breaks the already broken combat. Crossbow combines advantages of knives and hidden gun, eliminating the need for a choice between those two. Poison darts eliminate the strategic depth of poison hidden blade. Brotherhood mechanic is essentially a button that can solve 95% of your problems without breaking a sweat. I can go on.

This is why the connection of all side activities being part of taking down the Borgia is all important, because despite of all the possible design flaws - it's all integral part of the experience that the game provides of building a Brotherhood to take down an oppressive regime.

I agree. Games that provide me with immersive experiences are far likely to hold my interest than games that I know are technically better, but where I'm simply not as invested in the world or story. Everyone praises Uncharted 2 which was okay IMO, but although it addressed many of the problems of UC1, I still haven't finished it. I just couldn't get into the story and atmosphere as much. It's also why AC1 remains my very close second favorite in the AC franchise. It's a flawed game in so many ways, but the emotional experience it gave me is unrivaled.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9QjARWd5a84/T3OXHJJbe1I/AAAAAAAAA34/OVtLNvwpMvI/s190/nod-of-approval.gifhttp://img.pandawhale.com/54413-Gladiator-Joaquin-Phoenix-thum-5Pf1.gif

Landruner
09-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Of course, I still think the characterization, some bits of writing and antagonists suck but as a whole, this is a really good game. Ezio's is the person he SHOULD have been in the middle of AC II. He's distrustful of strangers, distant with associates and does not joke with people he does not deem as close friends or allies. (I really liked how Egidio tries to joke all the time but Ezio just reciprocates with a cold stare) he's not huggy huggy and friendly with everyone he runs into and he actually feels like a normal human. He has flaws and insecurities which he eventually gets over. He's an overall more human protagonists than he was in AC II.

That said, what I really like about ACB's side missions is that they're a part of a whole--itching at the Borgia's power and influence. Everything feels important and meshes well together. Assassination contracts, War machines, faction missions, Towers, Lairs of Romulus and Templar agents. They're all a part of diminishing Borgia influence and power and it all makes sense (apart from the lack of a date when starting the missions) they're very well organized and structured (The courtesan missions handle the political side, the thieves handle the underground and the mercenaries handle the Assassination of important figures)

It's a fun, organized and complete game.

I loved ACB the most - I always considered ACB has an extended play of AC2 - They pushed their imaginations the most and offered to the players plenty of options to be serious or messing with the game and its environment as well. I never felt that freedom of play the game the way player want ever since in any following ACs. (Take and ride a horse steal a spear and toss it to your target...Steal a broom and beat up the guard around,,,,take the parachute and fall into your target bellow....I mean they were plenty of option for anyone that wanted to replay the game is less serious way possible).
The game offered a lot of extra content and side mission, that I did not feel repetitive - I mean I really like the Leonardo war machine side quest. I did like the dungeon, the introduction of new foes besides the Templar, the characters were well defined, the all worked well and was homogeneously built.

The only problem I had with brotherhood was its marketing introduction - It should have been marketed as an AC2 expansion (A beat like the GTA4 Episodes of Liberty City) instead of a sequel to AC2 - I would not minded not having Desmond there, however; ever Desmond got a serious shot on that game - except the cliffhanger ending that could have been accepted if it went somewhere in the later games.

The second problem was the introduction of the MP that started to ruin a side of that that franchise (In mean that post ACB all the next features and patches were all for MP and not for the SP. I am not saying that it should have been a MP and understand that a lot like the ACMP, but I felt that for the rest of the franchise, the successive focus was the MP vs the SP.