PDA

View Full Version : GI: From Revelations To Unity: Creative Directing Assassin's Creed

Sushiglutton
09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
New interview with the Special One:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/09/01/from-revelations-to-unity-creative-directing-assassin-39-s-creed.aspx

m4r-k7
09-01-2014, 08:10 PM
The Seamless One

I like him

Woah they only spent 10 months on creating Revelations? How did they manage that?!

Sushiglutton
09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
The Seamless One

I like him

Haha that is even better, have to admit I laughed! We need to make this a thing :p

Alex is awesome, from what I've heard. He has the (imo) right ideas!

Xstantin
09-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I really liked that interview actually. Destination and problems bit was a nice insight imo

JustPlainQuirky
09-01-2014, 08:22 PM
That interview was really inspiring.

I like the emphasis on zoning in on your profession.

I guess I'll zone in on 3d animation.

m4r-k7
09-01-2014, 08:25 PM
I know this is so so crazy its stupid but did anyone see that flag at 7.30?
I can't see what flag it is but its not the French flag
Could it be another country for the next game? A French flag was shown previously in the video so...

I know its a crazy theory, it could just be a random flag.

Edit: Put my glasses on its Quebec flag lol

Layytez
09-01-2014, 08:26 PM
It's beautiful hearing these things and the straight line thing is the exact same thing I experience in my first year of game design.

Assassin_M
09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
He's only the second AC creative director to be in more than one game.

Many perils he has faced, many challenges he has overcome--Zen Amancio returns with a whole new attitude.

m4r-k7
09-01-2014, 08:30 PM
To be honest I am pretty amazed at how well Revelations turned out for just 10 months in development.
I have a lot of faith in The Seamless One

He is the first to admit the games have gone a bit off track and now knows how crappy those tower defence missions were!

SHADOWGARVIN
09-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Great interview! Thanks for posting.

SlyTrooper
09-01-2014, 08:35 PM
This isn't the update, is it?

Hans684
09-01-2014, 08:39 PM
This isn't the update, is it?

It is.

Assassin_M
To be honest I am pretty amazed at how well Revelations turned out for just 10 months in development.
I have a lot of faith in The Seamless One

He is the first to admit the games have gone a bit off track and now knows how crappy those tower defence missions were!
To be honest, a lot of the developers comment on what fans complain about. Ashraf openly admitted the mistakes of AC III's level design, Corey admitted the departure of the ambiguity of the conflict since AC I when he was writing AC III--they're pretty honest people.....mostly

ze_topazio
I have no patience for videos, why can't this interview be written?! :mad:

Sushiglutton
09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
To be honest, a lot of the developers comment on what fans complain about. Ashraf openly admitted the mistakes of AC III's level design, Corey admitted the departure of the ambiguity of the conflict since AC I when he was writing AC III--they're pretty honest people.....mostly

Very true. And Ashraf said "seamless" a few billion times in the AC4 marketing vids, just saying....

dandins
09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
what he said is actually: " go towards the target and when there is a problem: dont solve it - just go around, thats much easier" ... maybe I am wrong but thats what i`ve heard out of it.

hopefully the game is not full of compromises.

Layytez
09-01-2014, 08:55 PM
I have no patience for videos, why can't this interview be written?! :mad:
If you have no patience you wouldn't really be taking in the information if it was written would you ? Since you would probably skim through it.

andreycvetov
09-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Could someone send me a link to this,because I get an error every time I try to open a link to gameinformer

Locopells
09-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Woah they only spent 10 months on creating Revelations? How did they manage that?!

The opening credits where they list nearly every Ubisoft studio going, should give you a clue.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:20 AM
How lovely that we have even MORE proof that Revelations' was created in less than a year!

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Rogue probably had less dev time than Revelations TBH

naumaan
09-02-2014, 03:29 AM
cant open ... :(

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:34 AM
He's actually probably my favorite creative director simply for his personality and his attitude towards things.

They started working on Rogue right in the middle of production on AC3, when Black Flag began production.

naumaan
09-02-2014, 03:35 AM
He's actually probably my favorite creative director simply for his personality and his attitude towards things.

They started working on Rogue right in the middle of production of AC3, when Black Flag began production.

well not to get too much attached .. lets wait for unity to come out first

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:36 AM
well not to get too much attached .. lets wait for unity to come out first

I'm not gonna comment quite yet on his skill as a creative director. I'm simply commenting on him in general.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 03:37 AM
They started working on Rogue right in the middle of production on AC3, when Black Flag began production.

Where does it say that?

And if that's the case why do the devs keep dodging the dev time question in interviews?

DumbGamerTag94
09-02-2014, 03:40 AM

We've got nothing to prove that definitively.

Keep in mind Rogues total playable area will be at least 2x that of Black Flag. The River Valley map alone is the size of all BFs landmass combined. Now add the North Atlantic and New York to that. That is a massive game.

For all I know they very well could have had this Kenway Saga thing planed since the get go. Don't know why they went with the whole Star Wars style backwards storytelling. Releasing the conclusion first....but we can't say for sure that this all wasn't planned from square one. If so and this is supposed to be the epic conclusion of the trilogy(which I will forever play out of order so the historical timeline makes sense) then it may very well be far better than the other 2 by a lot.

It's too early to tell. We really haven't got that much about it. We shouldn't be judging it so harshly this early with so little to go off of other than "it looks like they reused things"......madden, NFS, Metal Gear, The Ezio Trilogy; all games/series that reused things all the time. Doesn't make them any less good.

Just give rogue a friggin chance people. You're all trying too hard to shoot it down before it even gets off the ground.

Besides everyone's being so unbelievably over negative about rogue. Yet hyping Unity like its gods gift to gaming. It's inevitable that people are going to be disappointed with Unity due to overhype(just like AC3). And Rogue will have an easy hurdle due to people already despising it. If it's even remotely good it will vastly exceed expectations and impress. Mark my words people will warm up to rogue over unity due to it surpassing their low expectations and Unity letting them down. You heard it here first!

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 03:42 AM
The River Valley map alone is the size of all BFs landmass combined.

First of all, where was that stated?

Second of all, don't go talking that to me because I'm one of the few people who look forward to Rogue. More so than Unity.

Thirdly, if the dev time wasn't short then why do devs keep dodging the dev time question?

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:43 AM
Where does it say that?

And if that's the case why do the devs keep dodging the dev time question in interviews?

I can't remember the direct source, but I and many other people recall them stating this around the time Rogue was announced.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 03:44 AM
I can't remember the direct source, but I and many other people recall them stating this around the time Rogue was announced.

Don't believe without source.

DumbGamerTag94
09-02-2014, 03:51 AM
First of all, where was that stated?

Second of all, don't go talking that to me because I'm one of the few people who look forward to Rogue. More so than Unity.

Thirdly, if the dev time was long then why do devs keep dodging the dev time question?

I heard that on one of the developer interview videos. Either the one with that Ivan guy or the one a while back with the two French dudes. I don't remember specifically but one of them did say River Vally alone is the size of all explorable landmass in Black Flag.

And sorry Mayrice. I didn't mean any of that latter stuff personally tward you. I know you're a big rogue cheerleader. But I was only making a general statement to all the haters that are in great supply lately.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:51 AM
Don't believe without source.

That's fine. I just think people are being a BIT too hard on Rogue. I'm 90% sure that it had more dev time than Revelations. I think everything that's been announced so far has already surpassed Revelations feature-wise. The way they've talked the river valley land alone will be comparable to the size of the frontier. And that's not including the water portion. Plus a bigger, denser New York(my favorite city in AC3)? Hell yeah! Keep in mind that AC3's New York is already much bigger than any of the cities in Black Flag.(I'd say around the size of Havana and Kingston combined)

naumaan
09-02-2014, 03:55 AM
too bad .. i cannot see

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 03:56 AM
I heard that on one of the developer interview videos. Either the one with that Ivan guy or the one a while back with the two French dudes. I don't remember specifically but one of them did say River Vally alone is the size of all explorable landmass in Black Flag.

And sorry Mayrice. I didn't mean any of that latter stuff personally tward you. I know you're a big rogue cheerleader. But I was only making a general statement to all the haters that are in great supply lately.

I want a link source to that interview cuz I've been following Rogue interviews like craycray and in every one the person being interviewed avoids comparing land size.

That's fine. I just think people are being a BIT too hard on Rogue. I'm 90% sure that it had more dev time than Revelations. I think everything that's been announced so far has already surpassed Revelations feature-wise. The way they've talked the river valley land alone will be comparable to the size of the frontier. And that's not including the water portion. Plus a bigger, denser New York(my favorite city in AC3)? Hell yeah! Keep in mind that AC3's New York is already much bigger than any of the cities in Black Flag.(I'd say around the size of Havana and Kingston combined)

I think it'll still be amazeballs regardless of the dev time.

That being said I'm still convinced the devtime is short.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:59 AM
I want a link source to that interview cuz I've been following Rogue interviews like craycray and in every one the person being interviewed avoids comparing land size.

I think it'll still be amazeballs regardless of the dev time.

That being said I'm still convinced the devtime is short.

Your negativity worries me :(

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 04:02 AM
I just said Rogue will be amazeballs.

How is that negative?

I'm just being realistic regarding dev time and land mass size.

SixKeys
09-02-2014, 04:04 AM
I'm with Mayrice. Rogue's dev time is probably around the same as Revelations' if not shorter. The story could still be good, but gameplay will probably be nothing more than a copy-paste of AC4, just like ACR was a copy-paste of ACB.

DumbGamerTag94
09-02-2014, 04:06 AM

It was the interview with Ivan Balbonov in the PAX thread on page 9. It's the rogue video. About 3:20 he says that.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 04:13 AM
I just said Rogue will be amazeballs.

How is that negative?

I'm just being realistic regarding dev time and land mass size.

It was the interview with Ivan Balbonov in the PAX thread on page 9. It's the rogue video. About 3:20 he says that.

Then I think we have our answer! Rogue is almost guaranteed to be better than AC4 simply because of this!

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 04:15 AM
@bmark

ah, thanks. How did I miss that?

@unite

because land mass dictates how good a game is?

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 04:18 AM
@bmark

ah, thanks. How did I miss that?

@unite

because land mass dictates how good a game is?

Not exactly what I'm saying. The locations look more diverse and it builds upon the gameplay of Black Flag. How can it go wrong? The only thing that could go wrong is the story, but the way that things are looking, that will be good as well.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 04:20 AM
Well regardless I think Rogue will be awesome on plot alone.

Fatal-Feit
09-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Guys, for the record, Rogue's land gameplay engine/system will be based off AC:3's, not AC:IV. The naval/sea gameplay engine/system is based off AC:IV's.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 04:27 AM
I don't understand the difference between ACIV's and AC3's land gameplay.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2014, 04:32 AM
I like Amancio. I feel kinda guilty for badmouthing him a bit after Revelations (though I stand by my statement that revealing the Lucy twist in DLC was total cash-grabbing bulls**t). Looking back, ACR was actually a pretty damn good game... for a title with less than ten months' dev time it was a damn masterpiece.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 04:34 AM
To this day I still haven't beaten The Lost Archive

Gameplay sucks too much IMO

Fatal-Feit
09-02-2014, 04:36 AM
Camera, controls, combat, navigation, etc.

In general, AC:3's is a lot more responsive than AC:IV. Just try leaping/sliding under and over fences and tables. It only works 60% of the time in AC:IV compared to AC:3. And I'm glad they're getting rid of the stupid rag-doll physics, or whatever it was, in AC:IV. When a guard is suppose to be dead after a double-tool-kill or backstab, he can be revived if you, or the AI, bump into his corpse before he land.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 04:37 AM
I never noticed a difference TBH.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 04:44 AM
The work on the assassin mechanics for the game were already were started before Black Flag seemingly(as we see in Black Flag already). So this leads me to believe that pre-production started well before Black Flag. Even if they started work on the game directly after the release of Black Flag, they had more time to work on it than Revelations.

Guys, for the record, Rogue's land gameplay engine/system will be based off AC:3's, not AC:IV. The naval/sea gameplay engine/system is based off AC:IV's.

I have no problem with that, as for the most part I enjoyed gameplay on land much more in AC3. Mostly because there was more of it. It also felt much more polished in AC3. Combat was also better in AC3, whereas it was rather clunky in AC4.

To this day I still haven't beaten The Lost Archive

Gameplay sucks too much IMO

I bought The Lost Archive and beat it. I loved it. The trippy-esque/conspiracy and mystery really made it great to me.

Xstantin
09-02-2014, 05:02 AM
Connor could climb rocks as well. As for the Lost Archive I still think if some indie company made it would be praised as innovative, art-fueled and thought-provoking.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Connor could climb rocks as well. As for the Lost Archive I still think if some indie company made it would be praised as innovative, art-fueled and thought-provoking.

I definitely think it would be critically acclaimed. Probably even as much as Journey.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2014, 05:08 AM

If it was made by a two-person indie production as a standalone experience, then yeah, it would have been awesome. But seeing as it was made by a multi-thousand-strong company prided for their unique parkour/stealth historical sandboxes with an epic over-arching story whose MAJOR plot twist was contained in a $10 DLC... it blew.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 05:12 AM
If it was made by a two-person indie production as a standalone experience, then yeah, it would have been awesome. But seeing as it was made by a multi-thousand-strong company prided for their unique parkour/stealth historical sandboxes with an epic over-arching story whose MAJOR plot twist was contained in a $10 DLC... it blew.

Let's all keep in mind that the Desmond's Journey gameplay was made entirely by one studio with much less manpower compared to the main Ubisoft Montreal studio.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Let's all keep in mind that the Desmond's Journey gameplay was made entirely by one studio with much less manpower compared to the main Ubisoft Montreal studio.

And? It was sub-par, plain and simple. I know the game was super-rushed, but that doesn't change the fact that it didn't fit at all with the rest of the game. Or the fact that the "revelation" was in the DLC.

Xstantin
09-02-2014, 05:22 AM
I thought it had some solid ideas. I'm a sucker for geometric shapes, minimalistic design and cyberpunk ghost in the machine things though.

Farlander1991
09-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Is there a direct link to the video somewhere?

Gameinformer site doesn't load for me for the past few days :/

souNdwAve89
09-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Game Informer typically uploads their videos on their YouTube after some days.

HiddenKiller612
09-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Really dig this guy.... pretty good interview...

jeordievera
09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
The Seamless One is great, I love his honesty and I trust him with Unity. It will be amazing!

SixKeys
09-02-2014, 09:04 PM

Yeah, really. There's a difference between TLA being released without the AC label attached to it, as just an obscure, artistically beautiful little puzzle game, and quite another to stuff it into an action-adventure game where it feels completely out of place. Journey is a great game, but if you buy Battlefield 5 and you suddenly find yourself controlling a dainty little sand creature that sings to ribbons as a mini-game in between all the shooting, you would probably be just as critical of the two being sold as part of the same package.

straty88
09-02-2014, 10:29 PM

Here you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgbqtnzxpcg

killzab
09-02-2014, 10:32 PM
OMG just saw an interview of Alex on TV ,in French !

Didn't know he was from Quebec ! Dat accent though. But I never thought he could speak french, it surprised me !

SlyTrooper
09-02-2014, 10:57 PM
OMG just saw an interview of Alex on TV ,in French !

Didn't know he was from Quebec ! Dat accent though. But I never thought he could speak french, it surprised me !

He can speak French??? Bow to the seamless one!

killzab
09-02-2014, 10:59 PM
He can speak French??? Bow to the seamless one!

Oh and he said the word "seamless" in a french sentence, something like " c'est beaucoup plus seamless"

It made me laugh in front of the TV.

JustPlainQuirky
09-02-2014, 10:59 PM
My french skills can beat up his french skills.

"c'est beaucoup plus seamless"

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/591/926/700.jpg

SixKeys
09-03-2014, 03:59 AM
Oh and he said the word "seamless" in a french sentence, something like " c'est beaucoup plus seamless"

It made me laugh in front of the TV.

Hahahaha, please, somebody make this a sig for me! With Alex's head animated a la "seamlessness intensifies" but with this text instead. :D

JustPlainQuirky
09-03-2014, 04:02 AM
Give me 15 minutes.

SixKeys
09-03-2014, 04:08 AM
*waiting intensifies*

JustPlainQuirky
09-03-2014, 04:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mczHxSc.gif

Is this ok?

SixKeys
09-03-2014, 04:35 AM
LOL perfect. :cool: Thank you!

JustPlainQuirky
09-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Just doin' mah duty. :cool:

straty88
09-03-2014, 04:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mczHxSc.gif

Is this ok?

Haha, I hope he sees this! :D

JustPlainQuirky
09-03-2014, 04:40 AM
I don't think Amancio lurks on the forums like Darby does.

SixKeys
09-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Hmm, can't get my sig to look completely centered.

JustPlainQuirky
09-03-2014, 04:42 AM
did you try [center] [ / center] without spaces?

That's what I do.

SixKeys
09-03-2014, 04:43 AM
did you try [center] [ / center] without spaces?

That's what I do.

I just used the automatic centering function. I'll try with the codes and see if it makes a difference.

Edit: Ehh, whatever. It's not perfect but slightly better.

I don't think Amancio lurks on the forums like Darby does.

They did use the "seamlessness intensifies" meme in the Twitter Q&A, so I'm sure he's at least aware of some of the stuff that gets posted about him here.

jeordievera
09-03-2014, 09:06 AM
LOL
We should have The Seamless One art thread! :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
09-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Here you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgbqtnzxpcg

Thanks! :)

LatinaC09
09-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Nice interview. I wonder how many AC projects are in development at the moment.

HiddenKiller612
09-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Nice interview. I wonder how many AC projects are in development at the moment.
they probably have at least 3 projects going right now.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-03-2014, 01:16 PM
they probably have at least 3 projects going right now.

Probably even more :p

HiddenKiller612
09-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Probably even more :p
Indeed... With as many people in their employ, it would be a waste of resources not to have multiple projects going