PDA

View Full Version : Assassin’s Creed Unity DevBlog – Paris Stories

Sushiglutton
09-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Fist day back at Uni today, so haven't checked every thread to see if this has been hidden somewhere :). Anyway pretty interesting I thought:

“Normally in open world games, you have standard, open world activities. But we realized that we had Paris, France, and there was tons of historical content there that we wanted to take advantage of.” said Russell. “As a result, every single one of the side content activities has a historical tie, either to some interesting person or event that took place during the period.”

“There were so many that we wanted to include, yes. Often they centered on fairly minor characters, at least in terms of the overall French Revolution. Nevertheless, their stories were very interesting, and should give a lot more narrative impact to the open world activities.”

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-168234-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

IF this is true it would be awesome imo. The sidecontent in AC has always felt copy-pasted to some extent. IF they are able to give it all more personality it would be a huge plus imo. Not sure if I believe it though ;)

Edit: I suppose "a tie" can be something pretty loose. Like they call some collectible "Robespierre's glasses" and suddenly it has a historical tie...

Edit:

“Although you can stumble upon some of the mission-givers around the city, you can also read the newspapers that are scattered around the city for clues. If you read an article of interest in the newspaper, you might suddenly see a new icon appear on the map, which you can then go and investigate. So it pays to really explore the open world.”

This is also kind of neat ^^. One of the things I criticized about AC4, was that for a game focused on exploration it didn't really reward it as all content was given to you on a siver plate (aka marked on the map).

pacmanate
09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Technically that is a historical tie.

However, big or small, I prefer what they are doing with side missions in Unity. The one we have seen about the murder mystery seems coolest to me, granted I don't know what the others are.

I hope there will be some crazy myth stuff in this too like the Headless Horseman from AC3

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Relevant side content... No argument from this corner.

But they could still throw in some random events just for fun/ for the laughs :)

Sushiglutton
09-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Technically that is a historical tie.

However, big or small, I prefer what they are doing with side missions in Unity. The one we have seen about the murder mystery seems coolest to me, granted I don't know what the others are.

I hope there will be some crazy myth stuff in this too like the Headless Horseman from AC3

Maybe there's a hunchback horseman in Unity!

Relevant side content... No argument from this corner.

But they could still throw in some random events just for fun/ for the laughs :)

Random event is another type of content, the way I look at it. I'm sure this only refers to the "organized content" (not srure this is the proper terminology :) )

pacmanate
09-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Maybe there's a hunchback horseman in Unity!

Just posted that on Reddit haha, I hope that they have the Hunchback as the culprit for that Murder Mystery side mission

I-Like-Pie45
09-01-2014, 06:23 PM
That sounds a lot like shoving in unnecessary historical content

Hans684
09-01-2014, 06:25 PM

It's not like the games are based on history :rolleyes:

pacmanate
09-01-2014, 06:29 PM

It depends what it is though. It doesn't have to be massive historical things. Like OP said - "Robespierre's glasses" is a collectible.

This could just be any persons glasses, but by putting "Robespierre" infront of "glasses", it makes the side mission more relevent to the setting.

Imo this is a good thing, means Im not collecting random things in the environment.

marvelfannumber
09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Just posted that on Reddit haha, I hope that they have the Hunchback as the culprit for that Murder Mystery side mission

But...but Quasi wasn't a bad guy. You're just discrminating against ugly people.

pacmanate
09-01-2014, 06:33 PM
But...but Quasi wasn't a bad guy. You're just discrminating against ugly people.

Maybe he just tried to hug them all and they died? You never know.

marvelfannumber
09-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Maybe he just tried to hug them all and they died? You never know.

Then again if I saw a 300 year old hunchback corpse try and hug me I think I would die too, point taken.

Aphex_Tim
09-01-2014, 06:42 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/vive_la_france_french_flag_francophiles_tie-r06bdb829d668477e819f37a8715b11c0_v9whb_8byvr_512. jpg?bg=0xffffff

pacmanate
09-01-2014, 06:46 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/vive_la_france_french_flag_francophiles_tie-r06bdb829d668477e819f37a8715b11c0_v9whb_8byvr_512. jpg?bg=0xffffff

even though thats french, I blame Connor

I-Like-Pie45
09-01-2014, 06:49 PM
It's not like the games are based on history :rolleyes:
history is a series of lies written by the winners

nothing is true, everything is permitted and the truth shall be revealed

JustPlainQuirky
09-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah the historical tie being reserved for side missions is nice.

Hans684
09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
history is a series of lies written by the winners

nothing is true, everything is permitted and the truth shall be revealed

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140814003334/samandcat/images/6/69/Its-conspiracy.jpg

Aphex_Tim
09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
I do hope we'll get the historical tie as a customization option for completing all side missions.

Hans684
09-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I do hope we'll get the historical tie as a customization option for completing all side missions.

http://i.imgur.com/NmkEJtt.gif

lothario-da-be
09-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Every side mission seems a bit too much to me. I hope this doesn't limit them in creating cool side missions instead of historical side missions. We all know how the historical stuff in ac3 turned out. Do not make the same mistake again ubi.

Landruner
09-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Every side mission seems a bit too much to me. I hope this doesn't limit them in creating cool side missions instead of historical side missions. We all know how the historical stuff in ac3 turned out. Do not make the same mistake again ubi.

Yep, sadly you are right and I insist in saying that the guy(s) that made the search for the Frontier man side missions in AC3 did a poor job...indeed!

Most of the myths and legends used in AC3 (Bigfoot,, sea monster, UFO etc....) could have been attached to some historical facts, weapon(s), items, events or character(s) that were unusual, but historically true in addition to be well appropriated for the time period and location.

All I saw that those side missions were there for trolling the player in mind, and it is sad because they lost some nice opportunities of expending as much the game-play as the erudition of the player at the same time.