PDA

View Full Version : Pro & Con Comparison Between ACU & Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor

locketcoket
09-01-2014, 05:06 AM
So I thought it might be interesting to do a comparison between the two games since the two game are both action adventure and probably not a lot of us (including me) have seen all the gameplay videos and interviews so some of us might know a few things others don't. So let's all give a Pro/feature you thing is good and a Con/ a change you
want/ something that you think cloud ruin the game for both games. I'll go first.

Assassin's Creed Unity:

Pro: You can customize Arno and make him your assassin. Not Ubisoft's yours.
Con: No split screen multiplayer. I was really looking forward to playing this with my little brother when I started playing the series this summer.

Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor

Pro: When you die you don't die and go back to a last checkpoint. And from what I hear hunting an Orc that kills you is really fun.
Con: I fear the wraith mode controls could be overly complicated when it cloud be as simple as the low/high profile button.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-01-2014, 11:45 PM
I honestly just think they're too different to compare. There are some similarities sure -- parkour/climbing being the biggest in addition to the combat and 'special' vision you have but lots of games have similar combat mechanics and vision modes. SoM's stealth seems like it'll focus more on staying out of sight rather than blending in like AC. ACU is going to be a dense city to explore while SoM will have a lot more countryside-type environments (I assume considering it's LOTR). All I've seen of SoM also didn't seem to show any "civilians." I'm sure there will be some but there won't be large civilian crowds like in AC, I don't believe, because that's not a big focus.

Both look REALLY fun. SoM is the first game to have a third person freeroaming parkour system that is as good or nearly as good as AC's. Every other game since AC first released that tried to emulate it just couldn't do it. they always looked really bad like Saboteur. SoM has some good climbing and parkour it looks like. That said -- it looks more like pre-ACU AC parkour and ACU just drastically updated the parkour so I'm pretty sure it won't come close to comparing. It might compare to the previous games though. Hard to know for sure how it feels without playing it myself.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-01-2014, 11:53 PM
shadow of mordor.......but only because I have no next gen

SlyTrooper
09-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Shadow of Mordor. I'm a little bias at the moment because SOM comes out sooner than Unity, so this doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway, about comparing the two games. They really aren't similar. I have been following SOM just as much as Unity, so I can tell you that they are not similar. SOM focuses more upon manipulating the enemy more than parkour. The parkour in SOM is in a much more primative stage than Unity, being more similar to AC1. It is less fluid, but it makes up for it due to the speed. This is not to say that it is worse than AC1's parkour, but I won't know until I play it. The combat is also more similar to the Arkham games, being more about rhythmic timing rather than tactical combat which Unity seems to be going for.

And about the "vision" mode that they both "share"; they are not in anyway the same. It is not the same as Eagle Vision because it is not a vision at all. When Talion enters the Wraith World, he is becoming Celebrimbor. Celebrimbor is also the protagonist of the game, so saying that it is copied from Eagle Vision is a lie. Being Celebrimbor also allows the player to use the bow, use shadow strike & show information about the targets you are hunting. This is an essential part to the game.

SlyTrooper
09-02-2014, 03:00 AM
Check out this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzjQmbHWUCY) if you want to know more about SOM.

Fatal-Feit
09-02-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm extremely stoked for Shadows of Mordor as well, but something about it just sucks. It's probably the aesthetics. The HUD/Icons/ETC are just random and ugly with no identity, IMO. It makes the game look like a generic action adventure version of Arkham/AC when it's not.

But everything else is great. The combat, parkour, animations, world, it's all top-notch. And the best part is, what we're seeing is actual game-play with no apparent downgrade.

UniteUnderPower
09-02-2014, 03:19 AM
For the most part, Unity, although my hype for that is slowly starting to fade. I don't have a next-gen console, but I have still pre-ordered Unity and will pre-order Rogue as well because I am that dedicated of a fan.

LoyalACFan
09-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Shadow of Mordor looks pretty lame to me if I'm being honest. I'm mostly just pissed that they're playing so fast and loose with the LOTR lore, but I dunno, the game just seems to lack an identity. It looks like a generic action game cobbled together from the best parts of Arkham and Assassin's Creed IMO. I'm not expecting it to be a total bomb, but nothing about it so far gets me even slightly interested in it. The graphics are nice, I guess.

shobhit7777777
09-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Shadow looks to be a solid, fun TPV action adventure game. The 'Nemesis' system sounds intriguing and I am already trying to figure out ways to build my Orc army. The wraith powers coupled with stealth gameplay ought to be fun. I'll be picking it up.

SlyTrooper
09-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Shadow of Mordor looks pretty lame to me if I'm being honest. I'm mostly just pissed that they're playing so fast and loose with the LOTR lore, but I dunno, the game just seems to lack an identity. It looks like a generic action game cobbled together from the best parts of Arkham and Assassin's Creed IMO. I'm not expecting it to be a total bomb, but nothing about it so far gets me even slightly interested in it. The graphics are nice, I guess.

That seems a bit harsh. Having been following the game for a long time, I can tell you that the developers are dedicated fans of Tolkien's works & the game is not just a copy of AC or the Arkham series. Just look at the Nemesis system; it really works. And if you think it has no identity, just check out this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqeGvr2m6A

CoachAssassin
09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
I really enjoyed the look of SoM, might play it but hey, I'm an AC fan :p.

Sushiglutton
09-02-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm getting both as they are my type of game (I also like a few other genres). I think Mordor will have a much better combat system, but Unity will be better in most other areas. Overall I'm more excited for Unity mostly because 18th century Paris is so much more appealing to me than Mordor. I'm also more intrigued by Unity's love story than yet another revenge tale.

Locopells
09-02-2014, 05:03 PM
That said, I'm liking the idea of all out fantasy, not sometime that happens often in the games I play (such as AC).

SlyTrooper
09-02-2014, 05:19 PM
One thing SOM does is show how long it took the AC franchise to adopt even the simplest of game mechanics. This is the first (& possibly only game) in the series & they have already done things that Unity is only now doing:

- A crouch button
- Last known position for stealth
- No insta-kill in combat
- Non-linear missions
- Weapon customisation
- Aiming circle for the bow (or just range weapons in general for AC)

These are things that should have been in the game since at least ACB. It just makes me wonder what a sequel could be like for SOM. Maybe they could even make the parkour better than AC with time?

These are things that AC should have had

Wolfmeister1010
09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I have the same issue with SOM as I do with Destiny. I hoped that destiny would be a gritty space open world post apocalyptic shooter with similarities to Borderlands and Halo, with an emphasis on weaponry. However, after playing the beta and the alpha and seeing all the trailers, it is an absolute ocean of bright vibrant neon colors and explosions and magic a lights and sparks and orbs..more WoW than anything..

SOM could have been cool if it focused on stealth and combat and agility with wraith being sorta like eagle vision..but instead wraith vision is a misty cloud of annoying white light that makes you blind and it incorporates into stupid parts of stealth and combat like super wraith force punch and invisibility and teleporting and hulk smash and energy blasts and wraith bow and ****..it just takes all the authenticity out of it..when the one ring from what I remember can just make you invisible..

It would have been MUCH more plausible if they kept wraith powers to momentary invisibility, intimidation like they showed, and perhaps some short teleportation..instead of making it have all these annoying combat powers making it more like an infamous game than anything... takes away all the grittiness

SlyTrooper
09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I have the same issue with SOM as I do with Destiny. I hoped that destiny would be a gritty space open world post apocalyptic shooter with similarities to Borderlands and Halo, with an emphasis on weaponry. However, after playing the beta and the alpha and seeing all the trailers, it is an absolute ocean of bright vibrant neon colors and explosions and magic a lights and sparks and orbs..more WoW than anything..

SOM could have been cool if it focused on stealth and combat and agility with wraith being sorta like eagle vision..but instead wraith vision is a misty cloud of annoying white light that makes you blind and it incorporates into stupid parts of stealth and combat like super wraith force punch and invisibility and teleporting and hulk smash and energy blasts and wraith bow and ****..it just takes all the authenticity out of it..when the one ring from what I remember can just make you invisible..

It would have been MUCH more plausible if they kept wraith powers to momentary invisibility, intimidation like they showed, and perhaps some short teleportation..instead of making it have all these annoying combat powers making it more like an infamous game than anything... takes away all the grittiness

You're saying it as if it's unrealistic. It's a fantasy game. And, by the way, the One Ring does more than just make you invisible.

locketcoket
09-03-2014, 01:22 AM
I have to admit part of the reason I made this thread is because I can only get one of these games before Christmas and I though this would help me decide.
The other reason being is I forget about the changed combat in ACU and thought the combat is similar they both have an attack counter system.
And Wolf , Wraith powers are so much more then just invisibility.Have you seen the Ringwraiths? They have so many more powers. Have you seen the seen where Frodo puts on the Ring in the first movie. The wraith mode thing looks exactly like that.
Either way both games promise to be good. I just hope they don't mess up the Wraith mode controls. And that the open world of Mordor isn't exactly like have seen in the videos with enemies at every corner.

straty88
09-03-2014, 01:34 AM
I have to admit part of the reason I made this thread is because I can only get one of these games before Christmas and I though this would help me decide.
The other reason being is I forget about the changed combat in ACU and thought the combat is similar they both have an attack counter system.
And Wolf , Wraith powers are so much more then just invisibility.Have you seen the Ringwraiths? They have so many more powers. Have you seen the seen where Frodo puts on the Ring in the first movie. The wraith mode thing looks exactly like that.
Either way both games promise to be good. I just hope they don't mess up the Wraith mode controls. And that the open world of Mordor isn't exactly like have seen in the videos with enemies at every corner.

If that's the case, not being able to get both before Christmas, I'd suggest waiting for reviews/user opinions and final build gameplay. :)

I'll pick up SoM either cheap or around my Christmas break, as unlike AC, it'll likely drop in price a lot faster unless it's a critical and commercial success. I don't really know the lore beyond the original LoTR troligy, so my only incentive is gameplay. The nemesis system sounds cool and hopefully it pans out in the final game. I'd love to know how much of the game you can play stealthily. As the only glimpse I've seen is from an earlyish demo a few months back and even then the player was forced into combat for the boss fight. I guess someone that has been following it more closely can elaborate? :)

Landruner
09-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Except some similarities - to me comparing those two games it is like comparing two sport cars - Yes they are both cars and fancy & rapid ones, and both are somewhat transportation utilities , but they are not build the same way d and don;t have handle the road the same say.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-03-2014, 02:16 AM
im really interested because of the new enemy generator. looks pretty cool. hope rpgs like elder scrolls/ fallout adopt it. the enemy generator is what has me excited!! like an assassins game with a host of randomly created assassination missions based on enemys you created

locketcoket
09-03-2014, 03:07 AM
If that's the case, not being able to get both before Christmas, I'd suggest waiting for reviews/user opinions and final build gameplay. :)

I'll pick up SoM either cheap or around my Christmas break, as unlike AC, it'll likely drop in price a lot faster unless it's a critical and commercial success. I don't really know the lore beyond the original LoTR troligy, so my only incentive is gameplay. The nemesis system sounds cool and hopefully it pans out in the final game. I'd love to know how much of the game you can play stealthily. As the only glimpse I've seen is from an earlyish demo a few months back and even then the player was forced into combat for the boss fight. I guess someone that has been following it more closely can elaborate? :)

I haven't been following it too closely but from what I understand the stealth boss approach is kinda like assassins in ACRogue. You can stealth attack them which will get them to a silver of health you have to take out in open combat. I also think you can use a combination of stealth and the nemesis system to take them out by putting the archers above the place your fighting the boss under your control, then stealth attack the boss, then get the archers to attack the boss.

And nice simile Landrunner.

LoyalACFan
09-03-2014, 06:29 AM
You're saying it as if it's unrealistic. It's a fantasy game. And, by the way, the One Ring does more than just make you invisible.

I totally understand what she's saying. You can't just say "it's fantasy, anything goes!" Say what you want about the LOTR movies, but they captured the "feel" of Middle-earth damn near perfectly; SoM looks to be about action and 'splosions and superhero-style gameplay, which doesn't feel anything like what I envision the LOTRverse to be.

LoyalACFan
09-03-2014, 06:34 AM
That seems a bit harsh. Having been following the game for a long time, I can tell you that the developers are dedicated fans of Tolkien's works & the game is not just a copy of AC or the Arkham series. Just look at the Nemesis system; it really works. And if you think it has no identity, just check out this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqeGvr2m6A

I saw that video, and it does nothing for me. It doesn't really separate itself aesthetically from something like Diablo Dark Souls, Dragon Age, etc; were it not for the obvious LOTR appearances in that trailer I would assume it was just another fantasy RPG.

The nemesis system seems technically impressive, but I'm unconvinced that it will lead to enough unique scenarios to stay interesting. How many possible ways can you make an enemy? Like five? And I can tell you this; if they stop the action before every fight to let the "nemesis" taunt you, that's gonna get old REAL friggin quick.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system sounds bloody amazing. I doubt they'll pull it off as well as they're hyping it but that's beside the point. It's the first game to have something that's really trying to change games and have next gen mechanics as opposed to simply increasing pixels, polygons, and fps. Like Unity looks fantastic but it's still just the same gameplay parts, just those parts have been rebuilt from the ground up and look to be at the toppy top of awesome more or less. Shadow of Mordor is trying to make your actions, your agency, have more consequences. Even if it ultimately fails to deliver... it's a great step in the right direction. It's very similar to what Ken Levine is hoping to do with his next project.

I hope they pull it off at least somewhat well because it's a great idea and sounds cool. That right there gives it a unique identity.

SlyTrooper
09-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I haven't been following it too closely but from what I understand the stealth boss approach is kinda like assassins in ACRogue. You can stealth attack them which will get them to a silver of health you have to take out in open combat. I also think you can use a combination of stealth and the nemesis system to take them out by putting the archers above the place your fighting the boss under your control, then stealth attack the boss, then get the archers to attack the boss.

And nice simile Landrunner.

Not quite. Each Nemesis has unique traits which will dictate how you are going to take them down. For example, some enemies may be able to be killed instantly through a stealth attack, whereas another enemy may be able to be killed instantly by combat finishers. Enemies will also have fears that the player can also exploit to make them run away, making them vulnerable enough to kill or dominate. To contrast with this, enemies will also have hates that make them more powerful & strengths that can be used against you. So not all enemies can be taken down through stealth because they may be able to counter stealth attacks or even sniff you out when hiding.

And to everyone saying it won't work; I've watched hours worth of footage & I still haven't seen an enemy that is exactly the same as another. The Nemesis system works (at least for current-gen). But you also have to consider that that is only one feature in a much larger game.

@LoyalACFan - Watch this video with Gollum in & then tell me how you feel. If you still don't think it feels like LOTR then I have no way of convincing you. (You only need to watch until the end of the story mission):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWEEtl7yA4