Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2014, 04:06 AM
So, here are my specs, first off:

Windows 8.1
Intel Core 17 4770k processor
Evga GTX 770
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM

I can run AC4 on max settings without physx at 1080p at around 60 fps (average high 50's sometimes drops into 40's)

And I plan on buying the newest Nvidia graphics Card in the 800 series once it comes out. However, should I sell my 770?

Or would it work to use both an 800 series and a 770? Will it make much of a difference? Will it cause issues with my PC?

Thanks for the help!

sajanshah
08-31-2014, 07:01 AM
my PC also run assassin's creed 4 my this requirement :)

Fatal-Feit
08-31-2014, 07:08 AM
I would save the 770, and buy another for SLI. That's double the performance for you. Also, I wouldn't recommend jumping onto the next series right away. They always come with tonnes of problems and performance issues the first few months.

------------------------------

Anyway, I plan on making a 770 build in the near future. If it's really getting 60fps at max settings and 1080p in AC:IV, that'll be my best investment yet. =D

playlisting
08-31-2014, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't bother selling the 770. It's a strong card and will easily last you another 2-4 years, especially at 1080p.

YazX_
08-31-2014, 04:01 PM
And I plan on buying the newest Nvidia graphics Card in the 800 series once it comes out. However, should I sell my 770?

dont, GTX 770 is more than enough for 1920 x 1080 resolution, however, if you want more power, just get another one. i have 770 GTX SLI and play on 2560x1440 resolution, i can run all games maxed out at avg 50-60 FPS, even both sustained 45 avg FPS on Crysis 3 fully maxed out with 4xMSAA. However, leaked reports say that Nvidia will skip the codename 800 series and jump to 900 series, GTX 980 will offer 35% performance increase over 780. in my personal opinion and looking at Nvidia practices , 970 will give 780 performance and 980 will give 780 Ti performance, both will be at lower prices than their predecessors and consume less power based on Maxwell architecture.

so to wrap it up, as long as you are gaming on 1920x1080, you dont need more than GTX 770, if future games will require more power, then you can grab another 770 with lower price to compensate the performance difference.

Or would it work to use both an 800 series and a 770? Will it make much of a difference? Will it cause issues with my PC?

No, they wont work together, both GPUs should be the same model, but card manufacturer doesnt matter (EVGA with MSI, Gigabyte, PNY,....) .

Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2014, 06:34 PM
SO what you guys are saying is..just get another of the exact same GPU? Okay! I am new to PC gaming so I need some clarification haha.

Also, ...stupid console peasant question..what is "SLI"?

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out. Unfortunately my motherboard is not SLI supported so I will need to get a new motherboard as well!

I am really lazy, based on my specs, anyone have any ideas for a good Motherboard that can do SLI and is compatible with my parts?

CPU Intel Core: i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX
Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)

YazX_
08-31-2014, 07:36 PM
you only need a Z87 chipset mainboard with 2xPCIEx 3.0 slots, there are wide range of good mainboards, so you need to tell us your budget and features you are looking for in that mainboard other than multiple GPU support, as an example, some motherboards come with enhanced audio chip, others come with extra USB ports, and the list goes on, so first thing first, state your budget :)

Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2014, 08:48 PM
you only need a Z87 chipset mainboard with 2xPCIEx 3.0 slots, there are wide range of good mainboards, so you need to tell us your budget and features you are looking for in that mainboard other than multiple GPU support, as an example, some motherboards come with enhanced audio chip, others come with extra USB ports, and the list goes on, so first thing first, state your budget :)

The only thing I am looking to achieve is multiple GPU support. My motherboard is fine for other things.

SO wait I don't need an "SLI" motherboard to use two video cards?

Christ..all over the internet people are so damned split on whether two 770s is better than a single 780ti or not...how can there be different opinions?? Shouldn't there just be a right answer? Honest to god..

YazX_
08-31-2014, 09:54 PM
The only thing I am looking to achieve is multiple GPU support. My motherboard is fine for other things.

SO wait I don't need an "SLI" motherboard to use two video cards?

Christ..all over the internet people are so damned split on whether two 770s is better than a single 780ti or not...how can there be different opinions?? Shouldn't there just be a right answer? Honest to god..

SLI is achieved by combining multiple cards, there is 2-way, 3-way and 4-way SLI, since you are aiming for 2 cards (2-way SLI), then you need two PCIEx slots for these cards, so any motherboard with 2 x PCIEx slots supports SLI and usually manufacturers write its certified although they dont need to. however, you need to have one with x16 lanes for one card and x8/x8 for two cards. problem is there are too many options as i mentioned, prices in U.S are around 170$-200$, so browse newegg for a motherboard and see if you found something you like.

now for 780Ti or 770 SLI, it depends, 780Ti outperforms in some tests while 770 SLI outperforms in others, look here at this benchmark:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1064?vs=1072

thats why i would say it depends on the situation, if you have one card like yourself, just get another one, if you are building a new PC and can afford 780Ti then go with single card solution. but i should remind you again, that 770 SLI is too much for 1920x1080 resolution, i still dont see any reason to upgrade or getting a second card unless if you have 120hz-144hz monitor and want high FPS, other than this, its a waste of money in the time being.

Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2014, 09:59 PM
thats why i would say it depends on the situation, if you have one card like yourself, just get another one, if you are building a new PC and can afford 780Ti then go with single card solution. but i should remind you again, that 770 SLI is too much for 1920x1080 resolution, i still dont see any reason to upgrade or getting a second card unless if you have 120hz-144hz monitor and want high FPS, other than this, its a waste of money in the time being.

What do you mean it is "too much" for 1920x 1080p?

I want to be able to max games and have a high FPS. I want to be able to use physx in Assassin's Creed games lol. I have a 120 hz monitor in 1080p but I can and have down sampled from 1440p at the cost of like 15fps

And from the look of those benchmarks, I feel like SLI isn't really worth it. Just keep it simple and upgrade a single Video Card when I need to

YazX_
08-31-2014, 10:16 PM
What do you mean it is "too much" for 1920x 1080p?

I want to be able to max games and have a high FPS. I want to be able to use physx in Assassin's Creed games lol. I have a 120 hz monitor in 1080p but I can and have down sampled from 1440p at the cost of like 15fps

And from the look of those benchmarks, I feel like SLI isn't really worth it. Just keep it simple and upgrade a single Video Card when I need to

i meant if you are aiming at 60 FPS/1080p, one 770 GTX is enough, otherwise if you aim at 120-144 then its justified as i mentioned above. however, Physx in AC4 is a bad example to test here, it will crawl even on a Titan due to bad Physx optimization, so better to put physx on low, if you want to test physx, try borderlands 2 or Batman Arkham series.

Anyway, looking at your current situation and the cost you need to pay to replace your mainboard and then buy a second 770 or getting a new card and sell yours:

200$ mainboard + 330$ GTX 770 = 530$
650$ 780Ti - Your Current Card ( lets say you sell it for 250$) = 400$

now for SLI worth it or not, 2-way SLI scales up to 90%-95%, so it almost doubles the performance, but you need to remember that both cards will draw more power than a single card like 780Ti, so its eventually up to the user.

Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I noticed that even with all other settings on lowest in AC4, having Physx on high still makes it drop into the 30's and even 20's. It is quite annoying.

Well, since it is my first PC build I am not sure I want to already get an SLI capable motherboard plus another 770 and take everything apart again and put it back together.

And if it draws more power..I don't really know the cons of that. Will it make my CPU perform worse or something? Make it overheat really easily?

I think I will just stick to 780ti when I need to make the upgrade.

YazX_
08-31-2014, 11:24 PM
And if it draws more power..I don't really know the cons of that. Will it make my CPU perform worse or something? Make it overheat really easily?

cons of that is your electricity bill :D, but its not as bad as it sounds, about heat, another card will add more heat in general, it wont affect the CPU except in extreme cases where hot air is trapped inside the case and CPU temps is sky rocketing, so the CPU will throttle (Downclock itself) to avoid damage, if you have a decent case with good ventilation then its nothing to worry about.

P.S: if you are using the fan that came with your CPU, then better to throw it away and get an aftermarket cooler since intel's CPU fan is crap. there are pretty cheap ones like Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Cooler Master Evo, both are like 25$-30$ and will keep your CPU cool.

Wolfmeister1010
08-31-2014, 11:29 PM
P.S: if you are using the fan that came with your CPU, then better to throw it away and get an aftermarket cooler since intel's CPU fan is crap. there are pretty cheap ones like Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Cooler Master Evo, both are like 25$-30$ and will keep your CPU cool.

What? It seems to be working fine..

YazX_
08-31-2014, 11:44 PM
What? It seems to be working fine..

LOL, yah maybe at stock frequency, but you can cut 20 degrees using an aftermarket cooler and it will further help you to overclock your CPU.

Anykeyer
09-01-2014, 07:38 AM
First, I dont think 770 is more than enough. In fact I think it will barely keep 30fps on max. And many games already require more than 770's standard 2GB VRAM.
Second, SLI is bad. While it usually doubles fps it also almost always introduces a lot of variety in delays between individual frames. In many games SLI (and crossfire) doesnt make rendering as smooth as single GPU does. I would suggest avoiding SLI even if on paper it looks good. Its always better to upgrade your GPU to a more powerfull one than adding second weak GPU. SLI is worth considering if you already have the most powerfull GPU and its not enough.