PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic damage to outfits in future AC games

pacmanate
08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm playing AC4 right now and just had a thought... Whenever we stab someone, the swords and whatnot essentially just clip into the bodies. What if they actually left a mark? (To use, not the guards, screw them)

I think it would be really cool in the future if all the outfits were subject to cosmetic damage. This could range from blood stains to a very torn up outfit.

The Amazing Spider-Man games do this really well. There are 3-4 stages of cosmetic damage, ranging from slight costume tears and blood, to a very battered costume.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/the-amazing-spider-man-game/thumb/2/20/Costume_scarlet_spider.jpg/468px-Costume_scarlet_spider.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NcGtvebM1Oc/hqdefault.jpg

I think it would be awesome to have this as a feature, it just makes things realistic. Obviously im not talking about every sword slash you take making a mark, thats crazy. Just different stages of damage-costume etc. Then if you want to fix your costume, just go to a tailor! Simple as that.

I then think it should affect guard awareness, In the sense that if you are at full cosmetic damage they will notice you quicker seeing as you are a walking mess.

What do you guys think?

Also I know Batman does this, but its story locked.

wvstolzing
08-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Can Spider-Man change his outfit with a new one?

With Batman in the Arkham series the damaged outfit works well, because all three adventures are supposed to take place over the course of a single night.

As to the Assassin's outfit -- Given that their adventures are spread out over months and even years, and delievered to us essentially in 'digest form' by the animus, I guess we're supposed to put that kind of realism on hold, just as we are supposed not to worry about them never changing their clothes for whatever other reason. (including laundry, notoriously)

pacmanate
08-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Can Spider-Man change his outfit with a new one?

With Batman in the Arkham series the damaged outfit works well, because all three adventures are supposed to take place over the course of a single night.

As to the Assassin's outfit -- Given that their adventures are spread out over months and even years, and delievered to us essentially in 'digest form' by the animus, I guess we're supposed to put that kind of realism on hold, just as we are supposed not to worry about them never changing their clothes for whatever other reason. (including laundry, notoriously)

Yep, you go back to Peters apartment and it just auto heals.

I dont see why the Assasins outfit cant work? If you get into one fight it can give you first stage of damage. Then you just go to a tailor and repair it. Then at the start of every sequence it could just auto heal.

LoyalACFan
08-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Armor actually does gradually get visibly damaged in AC2 (and maybe Brotherhood, can't remember). IMO it would just be a hassle to have to go back and forth to a tailor all the time to repair your outfit, but bloodstains that wear off over time would be cool. They actually had that in Brotherhood too, but the blood in general looked like crap in that game.

Megas_Doux
08-30-2014, 08:23 PM
That is a good idea!!!!

In fact, I would add that the more damaged outfit gets -scratches and blood-, the more notorious you become! If only social stealth were still around anymore.......

Sushiglutton
08-30-2014, 08:27 PM
It's kind of silly in Max Payne 3 how Max is covered with red dots during the cutscenes :p.

I dunno, it can be less immersive if it's clumsily implemented. I also prefer not having to repair equipment.

Meh is my opinion I guess.