PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubisoft meet us halfway?

CoachAssassin
08-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Fans of Assassins Creed won't have it financially very well during pre-christmas months due to the release of our games. The problem for me starts when major titles of the story and game are split over two generations of consoles, in a time period of practically no longer then a month. I can understand why this is happening though, it's about sales and money because a new gen of consoles is going to offer a difficult task; getting your fans to invest a huge amount of money to continue playing. They have to because if they would offer Rogue on Next-gen right now the sales of one of those games is going to be ridiculously high compared to the other one (Rogue will probably top Unity, and if cross gen it would certainly.) But now, to own both copies I need to have two consoles, one of which would cost me €150 or the other which is constantly sold out here that it would cost me €450. Let me start by explaining it from my point of view. I sold my PS3 & Xbox 360 for a decent amount of money since I had a lot of games. My brother in law owns a PS3 so if I had ever felt the need to replay AC games I would simpely borrow his console (kept my AC copies obv). I was planning on buying the Xbox One or PS4 over time, one with the release of Unity at least. I figured past gen would perhaps get a BF sequel but hey I could always buy it later and play it on the PS3 right?

Yeah, that's awesome but when I started to think about it I had to do some math. I saved up €350 for the PS4, I decided to go with it as it offers AC the most extras. Therefore the consoles costs me €100 as I'm lucky enough to have someone borrow me their PS3. Unity without its extra content costs me €70,- without extras and Rogue costs me €60. On top of that two season passes that will combined cost me €40. All with all, full use of Rogue and Unity will cost me a whopping €170 for the games, and €100 for the console. For you americans, that's 355.789 USD, without the console cost it's 224.018 USD.

Doesn't that just seem hella pricey for AC in one year of which one is a rehashed version of BF that could have been a DLC if you realistically look at it. Wouldn't offering some clearance on AC Rogue HD possibilities, combi pack possibilities or maybe even a shared season pass (Honestly, saving 30 bucks for a lot of people is worth it) be a nice gesture of Ubisoft meeting its dedicated fans halfway?

By the looks of it now, I can't seem to justify spending over 350 dollars/270 euros on our next part of the story that will drop in price within a years time..

What do you all think?

roostersrule2
08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Disregard currency

Acquire AC

Shahkulu101
08-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Can you meet me halfway
Right at the borderline that's where I'm gonna wait
For you
I'll be looking out
Night and day
Put my heart to the limit and this is where I'll stay

Mr_Stunner
08-28-2014, 03:51 PM
This guy has a point!
I don't think it will happen though...

guardian_titan
08-28-2014, 03:52 PM
No one's holding a gun to your head saying you must buy both games and when they come out. Buy one game, wait 6 months, buy the other at a reduced price during a sale or something. Rather than bouncing on the edge of your seat waiting for the following year's game with nothing to do, you now have the second game released the previous year to tie you over for a little bit. I've never bought the games at full price and usually wait for sales. Now that I know they hit 75% off at times, I wait for those sales. Sure, it might be 6-12 months after the game first came out, but there's other games to hold me over from my back log of games I've been meaning to play for years.

While prices are getting insane, you can always put your wallet where your mouth is. Enough people feel it's too much, sales will drop and Ubisoft might slow down. You think that's bad, though, look at World of Warcraft. When I started playing, expansions were $29.99 (USD), then $34.99, then $39.99, and now it's $49.99! And Blizzard wants to release an expansion every year ... which, granted, they've been saying for years and they have yet to pull off. But if they manage that, you already have to pay $15 a month for a subscription which equates to $180 a year. Add $50 for an expansion every year from now onward and that's $230 for a single account. To add insult to injury, Blizzard just auto upgrades people's accounts to the current expansion toward the end of that expansion's cycle or early on in the next one. Blizzard actually gave free upgrades to a number of customers to the most recent expansion just recently. Makes you wonder what's the point to get into the expansion right off the bat anymore if you'll just get it free if you wait a bit. I quit the game after playing for 7 years straight. I'm not sure I'll ever go back. Prices are too much so I put my wallet where my mouth was. I can take that $230 I would have used on the game toward something else. Sad part? I also had 3 World of Warcraft accounts so it wouldn't be $230 a year but $690.

Don't feel bad, though. I bought a Vita for Liberation. Spent $250 for the Liberation bundle. Liberation came out on PC (my preferred platform) a year later. My Vita has no other games on it but Liberation so I spent $250 for a single game that got a better release later and for less than a tenth of the price I paid. I can't say I'll buy Rogue just because I'm afraid Ubisoft will pull the same stunt with that. While I do own a PS3 and Xbox360 so the price won't be as bad overall, I'm not much of a console gamer. The game would have to be pretty amazing for me to go out of my normal element to buy Rogue and to get past the Liberation stunt.

SHADOWGARVIN
08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
I keep all my old consoles. I never sell anything.

CoachAssassin
08-28-2014, 04:08 PM
No one's holding a gun to your head saying you must buy both games and when they come out. Buy one game, wait 6 months, buy the other at a reduced price during a sale or something. Rather than bouncing on the edge of your seat waiting for the following year's game with nothing to do, you now have the second game released the previous year to tie you over for a little bit. I've never bought the games at full price and usually wait for sales. Now that I know they hit 75% off at times, I wait for those sales. Sure, it might be 6-12 months after the game first came out, but there's other games to hold me over from my back log of games I've been meaning to play for years.

While prices are getting insane, you can always put your wallet where your mouth is. Enough people feel it's too much, sales will drop and Ubisoft might slow down. You think that's bad, though, look at World of Warcraft. When I started playing, expansions were $29.99 (USD), then $34.99, then $39.99, and now it's $49.99! And Blizzard wants to release an expansion every year ... which, granted, they've been saying for years and they have yet to pull off. But if they manage that, you already have to pay $15 a month for a subscription which equates to $180 a year. Add $50 for an expansion every year from now onward and that's $230 for a single account. To add insult to injury, Blizzard just auto upgrades people's accounts to the current expansion toward the end of that expansion's cycle or early on in the next one. Blizzard actually gave free upgrades to a number of customers to the most recent expansion just recently. Makes you wonder what's the point to get into the expansion right off the bat anymore if you'll just get it free if you wait a bit. I quit the game after playing for 7 years straight. I'm not sure I'll ever go back. Prices are too much so I put my wallet where my mouth was. I can take that $230 I would have used on the game toward something else. Sad part? I also had 3 World of Warcraft accounts so it wouldn't be $230 a year but $690.

Don't feel bad, though. I bought a Vita for Liberation. Spent $250 for the Liberation bundle. Liberation came out on PC (my preferred platform) a year later. My Vita has no other games on it but Liberation so I spent $250 for a single game that got a better release later and for less than a tenth of the price I paid. I can't say I'll buy Rogue just because I'm afraid Ubisoft will pull the same stunt with that. While I do own a PS3 and Xbox360 so the price won't be as bad overall, I'm not much of a console gamer. The game would have to be pretty amazing for me to go out of my normal element to buy Rogue and to get past the Liberation stunt.

I get you with the whole blizz thing, I'm a WoWer myself and I got pretty pissed at the free boosts people seem to get and the upgrade for like 10$ and ****. It's just more that I'm a huge storyline fan and that it seems that Rogue will play a big role in the storyline as well for an exclusive, which is sad. But like I said, double DLC costs etc seems where Ubisoft could at least maybe do us a small favour and give an AC Season pass for both releases, hell make it a pre-order bonus for all I care, I just think there should come at least a tiny financial motivation from Ubisoft, wouldn't do their sales bad as well I think.

Fuggit, I'm going to suggest the general season pass to them, I'll see if I get a response.

pacmanate
08-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Can you meet me halfway
For you
I'll be looking out
Night and day

NO. l WAS GOING TO DO THIS.

Sushiglutton
08-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Get Unity now and wait for the inevitable HD/next-gen port of Rogue next year. Why rush it?

ze_topazio
08-28-2014, 05:57 PM
We should all compromise, release both games for the Vita instead.

JustPlainQuirky
08-28-2014, 06:04 PM
We should all compromise, release both games for the Vita instead.

Never compromise the creed.

pacmanate
08-28-2014, 07:47 PM

And smoke weed

In Colorado

Hans684
08-28-2014, 08:08 PM

A man chooses. A slave obeys.

Landruner
08-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Nope the OP has a very good point - According to what I could analyze so far in taking information diverse...., Ubisoft like some other big AAA does not want to buy the game(s) 6 months post release, but 3 months before via pre-ordering the game in advance - at least if you want to enjoy the game to its fullest.

In short: Because "they" still try to prevent the price dropping or the third party business of Used game, the more you are going wait AND the more you are going to get screwed with some missing features and you will have to pay twice much as for those missing features that you missed post release just because you waited and did not buy the game at release. In this case your cheaper game will come to the equivalent of the retail price or more if you want to fully enjoy it like at release version - That micro transaction rules with ULC content already trapped in your disk or data.

Wait and See if I am wrong or not?

Kakuzu745
08-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Can you meet me halfway
For you
I'll be looking out
Night and day

Exactly my thoughts when I read it!

Megas_Doux
08-29-2014, 02:59 AM
And not only Ubisoft....

Matt.mc
08-29-2014, 03:05 AM

This.
And on the "prices are getting higher" thing, for me, 5 years ago games were from $90.00 - $110.00, now they're $75.00 - $85.00.

LatinaC09
08-29-2014, 12:27 PM
OP,

Preorder!! I always start putting money down towards big purchases (including most games) months ahead of time. That way when they come out I will not have to come out of pocket all at once. It saves a lot of money in the long run. $20 here and there goes a long way. Right now I have the collector's edition of Unity paid off and I only have about $30 more to go with Rogue. It's just a lot easier that way but I guess that's just me.

jayjay275
08-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Can you meet me halfway
For you
I'll be looking out
Night and day

This made me chuckle. :D

GoldenBoy9999
08-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Maybe Ubisoft could give us a $5 discount if you pre-order Unity and Rogue.:)

CoachAssassin
08-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Maybe Ubisoft could give us a $5 discount if you pre-order Unity and Rogue.:)

Hey, even a 5$ worth of uplay content (discount of season pass or w/e) if you buy both games would be a gesture.

CoachAssassin
08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
OP,

Preorder!! I always start putting money down towards big purchases (including most games) months ahead of time. That way when they come out I will not have to come out of pocket all at once. It saves a lot of money in the long run. $20 here and there goes a long way. Right now I have the collector's edition of Unity paid off and I only have about $30 more to go with Rogue. It's just a lot easier that way but I guess that's just me.

In here, preordering a game means you have to pay the money during the ordering process, so that won't work. If I would go buy collectors editions of AC I'd easily be down €100-120, which translates to 150-170$ iirc. As much as I love AC, I can't afford to spend that for something that will make up for half of the story of that year :(.

And yeah, story for me is the biggest incentive. I'm a gamer to be entertained, hence why I love AC.

GunnerGalactico
08-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Can you meet me halfway
For you
I'll be looking out
Night and day

That..was..the..most..annoying..song..everrr!