PDA

View Full Version : Why are people hating on Shaun?

EmbodyingSeven5
08-25-2014, 01:44 AM
was wondering if you guys found Shaun Hastings a good and likeable character? whenever someone brings him up on an interview or when people talk about AC whenever they here shauns name they make a comment about no none liking him. what do you guys think?

JustPlainQuirky
08-25-2014, 01:46 AM
People seem to either love or hate shaun.

He's a complete trope.

But I love him.

aL_____eX
08-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Because he's a smart***. Some people like that, others don't. I personally didn't like Shaun till ACIV.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Nice poll results.

But I like Shaun, especially in AC3 and AC4. I find his smart *** remarks funny :p

Namikaze_17
08-25-2014, 01:51 AM
I lost it at the Third option...lololol

But I like Shaun...his Sarcastic Humor amuses me.

"Last time I checked, Desmond's not pregnant. Well you could've had a big lunch."

EmbodyingSeven5
08-25-2014, 01:54 AM
wait can a random person edit your poll. because my third option for connor is gone

aL_____eX
08-25-2014, 01:55 AM
wait can a random person edit your poll. because my third option for connor is gone
There are people on these forums who are watching you and all of us... called mods.

Namikaze_17
08-25-2014, 01:56 AM
Because he's a smart***. Some people like that, others don't. I personally didn't like Shaun till ACIV.

I liked Rebecca as well...

"Ugh! Well you're Coffee tastes like ****. You could use some practice."

Fatal-Feit
08-25-2014, 01:56 AM
I didn't like Shaun in AC:2. He didn't have any charm, and was a complete ******. After that, he became my favorite MD character.

He's my favorite part of Brotherhood, actually.

JustPlainQuirky
08-25-2014, 01:59 AM
damn i voted the Connor option.

HiddenKiller612
08-25-2014, 02:01 AM
probably because it is an unrelated option to this thread and doesn't really belong in the discussion at hand.

Namikaze_17
08-25-2014, 02:02 AM
Why isn't there one like this for Rebecca?

#rebeccagetsnolove

JustPlainQuirky
08-25-2014, 02:03 AM
Rebecca is boring IMO

Ureh
08-25-2014, 02:03 AM
I kinda hated him in AC2 cause he was a meanie. In ACB, he gave a concerned look when Desmond was suffering from the bleeding effect and that won me over. He's a good guy. :)

aL_____eX
08-25-2014, 02:04 AM
I like Rebecca... she's... nice. Okay, don't know why I like her.

ACfan443
08-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Shaun's an awesome character, and a particular favourite of mine.

He was at his best in AC2 and ACB, delightfully snarky and sharp witted. I felt in AC3 he was uncharacteristically polite when interacting with Desmond and lost some of that charm he had in the earlier games.

Fatal-Feit
08-25-2014, 02:08 AM
Rebecca's character needed to be severely reworked.

Ureh
08-25-2014, 02:11 AM
I like Rebecca... she's... nice. Okay, don't know why I like her.

Me too. She's very optimistic and upbeat, especially in AC2. It was so sad to read her emails to Lucy in ACB, where she confided about her depression.

Namikaze_17
08-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Rebecca is boring IMO

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/034/b/c/minato_namikaze_episode_247_color_by_lanessa29-d4ojpt5.png
:rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
08-25-2014, 02:22 AM
Rebecca's character needed to be severely reworked.

Like her character model?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md74dy9QWu1qh4sjeo1_500.png

She just looks like a goddess in AC2... *Drools*

SixKeys
08-25-2014, 03:04 AM
The only game where I liked Shaun was ACB, where he had a few genuinely nice friendship moments with the others. In all the other games, he's either a jerk for absolutely no reason or an insufferable mouthpiece for the writer's political views *cough*AC3*cough*. If he was at least a funny jerk like House, it'd be okay, but he's pretty much the worst "sarcastic Brit" cliché anyone could write. I mean FFS, they even had him make an Alice in Wonderland reference in AC3. All that was missing was dialogue along the lines of "pip pip, old chum, jolly good, tally ho".

Edit: Oh, and Rebecca is awesome.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-25-2014, 03:10 AM
There are people on these forums who are watching you and all of us... called mods.

so their like god? or SANTA

LoyalACFan
08-25-2014, 03:12 AM
I was unaware that Shaun was widely hated :confused: He's alright IMO, he's kind of obnoxious and cliche sometimes but he's had quite a few legitimately funny lines. He and Rebecca make a good comedic pairing, even though I like Rebecca better as a character.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-25-2014, 03:13 AM
Why isn't there one like this for Rebecca?

#rebeccagetsnolove

I only made this because so many said they hated Shaun. I still love Rebecca

souNdwAve89
08-25-2014, 03:15 AM
I don't mind Shaun. He's annoying at times, but his character got better with each iteration, at least. I wished Shaun and Rebecca got more screen time though besides just being NPC standing around when you're out of the Animus.

rprkjj
08-25-2014, 03:32 AM
The only game where I liked Shaun was ACB, where he had a few genuinely nice friendship moments with the others. In all the other games, he's either a jerk for absolutely no reason or an insufferable mouthpiece for the writer's political views *cough*AC3*cough*. If he was at least a funny jerk like House, it'd be okay, but he's pretty much the worst "sarcastic Brit" cliché anyone could write. I mean FFS, they even had him make an Alice in Wonderland reference in AC3. All that was missing was dialogue along the lines of "pip pip, old chum, jolly good, tally ho".

I agree with your point about AC3, and I also disliked Shaun in AC2, but I warmed up to him in Brotherhood. I also never liked Rebecca, I just thought she was really throwaway. Just a clique tomboy hacker chick with a short haircut with the speaking mannerisms of a cheesy adrenaline junkie. I could at least appreciate Shaun's British quirkiness. Both of their faces were destroyed beyond recognition in AC3 though. Seriously, wtf. Desmond actually looked a bit better but even Bill looked a bit derp.

LoyalACFan
08-25-2014, 03:59 AM
I agree with your point about AC3, and I also disliked Shaun in AC2, but I warmed up to him in Brotherhood. I also never liked Rebecca, I just thought she was really throwaway. Just a clique tomboy hacker chick with a short haircut with the speaking mannerisms of a cheesy adrenaline junkie. I could at least appreciate Shaun's British quirkiness. Both of their faces were destroyed beyond recognition in AC3 though. Seriously, wtf. Desmond actually looked a bit better but even Bill looked a bit derp.

Yeah I have no ****ing idea what happened to the modern-day faces post-Brotherhood. Even in Revelations, they looked wrong. It was the worst in AC3 though.

I-Like-Pie45
08-25-2014, 04:20 AM
Yeah I have no ****ing idea what happened to the modern-day faces post-Brotherhood. Even in Revelations, they looked wrong. It was the worst in AC3 though.

are you saying you preferred a desmond that looked like adam sandler over a desmond that looked like ben stiller

Locopells
08-25-2014, 04:41 AM
I'm just gonna leave these here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE4LF6i3zmc&index=19&list=UUyxeJPMVA4ReKET t05TC44A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMPYw72G8ic&list=UUyxeJPMVA4ReKETt05TC44A

And yes, I know the second one doesn't really count, but still...

aznassassin159
08-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Love him. Easily my favorite modern AC character next to Q, I mean, William Miles.

I was super happy when I found out he was the narrator for Thomas Was Alone.

LoyalACFan
08-25-2014, 06:11 AM
are you saying you preferred a desmond that looked like adam sandler over a desmond that looked like ben stiller

I'm saying I preferred a Desmond that didn't look like he'd been repeatedly beaten in the face with a shovel.

HiddenKiller612
08-25-2014, 06:15 AM
I'm saying I preferred a Desmond that didn't look like he'd been repeatedly beaten in the face with a shovel.
http://static.tumblr.com/0nncm7h/HQ7m8gcw6/little-nicky.jpg

rrebe
08-25-2014, 07:52 AM
There are people who hate Shaun? :eek:
He's awesome! Rebecca too!

Aphex_Tim
08-25-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm not a fan of the wise-cracking but when he's all srs bsns, he's actually a pretty cool character! Or when he's having conversations with Desmond and the crew, calmly explaining cool stuff Without being a d*ck. Then these conversations are actually quite interesting and fun to listen to.

AherasSTRG
08-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Shaun has been my favourite character in the series since the second game...

Sesheenku
08-25-2014, 10:57 AM
He treats Desmond bad, I don't care about Desmond so I love Shaun.

jeordievera
08-25-2014, 10:59 AM
How can anyone hate Shaun?
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md5ku0TMZW1qehbre.gif

Sesheenku
08-25-2014, 11:59 AM
How can anyone hate Shaun?
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md5ku0TMZW1qehbre.gif

People get butthurt when they're verbally owned ;P

RinoTheBouncer
08-25-2014, 12:26 PM
I don’t “hate” any character from AC, but Shaun isn’t very likable. However, I’d rather stand a thousand Shauns than the new boring, plotless characters. I think people might dislike him because he’s done in a stereotypical way. The smart person has to dress like that, talk like that, be like that. I mean my brother is such a smarta** but he neither wears glasses, dresses like Shaun, talks like Shaun or behaves like Shaun, haha. People probably hate the stereotype rather than the real person.

Maybe I don’t like Shaun very much, but I definitely don’t hate him and he and Rebecca are one of the essential part of the game that I’d rather have in the next AC instead of the boring-a** new characters.

GunnerGalactico
08-25-2014, 12:58 PM
I feel that Shaun is a good character, I didn't find him annoying at all. I liked his sarcasm and clever, snappy dialogue with Desmond and Rebecca. I especially liked reading the information in the Animus Database, because it came with a side of Shaun's witty and sarcastic humour.

Sesheenku
08-25-2014, 03:40 PM
If I could mod Brotherhood, I'd replace Shauns character model with this.

http://i.minus.com/il1jaw.gif

Ureh
08-25-2014, 04:25 PM

I thought Rebecca looks her best in AC3. :) Although it was kinda scary when they're about to enter Juno's prison and all of their eyes become nearly pitch black (no whites, no pupils), just pure evil-looking eyes.

In AC3, it felt like he was among very close friends/confidants which might've been why he was so candid about everything. On top of all the stress and frustration and all that stuff, it made pretty easy to understand his demeanor. But yeah, the extra bits of political stuff in AC3 was unexpected.

Fatal-Feit
08-25-2014, 04:29 PM
I thought Rebecca looks her best in AC3. :) Although it was kinda scary when they're about to enter Juno's prison and all of their eyes become nearly pitch black (no whites, no pupils), just pure evil-looking eyes.

I agree, and LMAO. That's still in AC:IV. Sometimes and the guards and civilians would have pitch black demon eyes as well.

It must be related to the engine.

CoachAssassin
08-25-2014, 04:30 PM
I think Shaun is the one who is having the most troubles with what they as Assassins are doing, and he is morally very gray. He is also clearly in love with Rebecca. He hides all of the doubts with his comments and attitude. He is also one of the very few who is truly seeing things grey but as he said himself, he sees himself doing the work of a good guy currently.

aL_____eX
08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
The funniest thing I saw in ACIII was two days ago, the last modern day mission when Juno speaks to Desmond... and all of a sudden her breast started to glitch and flicker. O_O That looked weird.

ze_topazio
08-25-2014, 04:48 PM
There are people who dislike Shaun? http://i.imgur.com/6sF1cvK.png

pacmanate
08-25-2014, 07:18 PM
He's marmite.

And he makes us British seem like C U Next Tuesday's.

Which we are, but it's not nice for him to portray us like that.

aL_____eX
08-25-2014, 07:24 PM
And he makes us British seem like C U Next Tuesday's.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I still think sometimes - in some rare moments - he was funny, in ACIV he was even cool. :eek:

pacmanate
08-25-2014, 07:28 PM
He was definitely funny sometimes, other times it was so cringy I just wanted to castrate him.