PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: A Concern

EverAmbiguous
08-22-2014, 04:48 AM
I fist discovered Assassin's Creed when a friend played the first game. I didn't really a chance to play ti back then, and by the time I found my way back to the series, Ubi had started the always-online Uplay bullscat. I wound up getting AC2, ACB, and ACR on the Xbox 360 because of this, even though I'm a PC gamer.

In the months leading up to AC3's release, Ubi finally realized what a mistake always-online was and patched it out. I then got all four games on Steam--and I've purchased all of them since.

One thing worries me, however: Watch Dogs introduced the idea of a semi-persistent world, with the chance to be hacked at any time (if enabled, and if online), blurring the lines between single and multiplayer. Then, a couple of games were announced: The Division and The Crew. Both looked incredibly interesting to me, but I later found out they were MMOs, always online.

And now, lately, I've seen a large number of articles talking about AC Unity and positing that AC is going to go back in the always online direction, to duplicate the success of Watch Dogs and presumed success of The Crew and The Division.

I don't like this. I don't like this at all. I don't have a consistent internet connection, and thus don't play always-online games, no matter how fantastic they look (The Division, The Crew...). I'm worried that Ubi will fall back into the same place they were in five years ago. I entreat you, Ubi: don't do that again. Please do not turn AC into an always-online game, ever again.

Anykeyer
08-22-2014, 07:06 AM
No AC game is "always online". And the only game that was for some time is AC2. But in many of them you would lose some good features if you play wo constant connection.

YazX_
08-22-2014, 10:23 AM
No AC game is "always online". And the only game that was for some time is AC2. But in many of them you would lose some good features if you play wo constant connection.

^ this and i may add:

1. The Crew is designed to be MMO as you said, so same as any other MMO out there, constant online connection is required , its not DRM rather than the game itself by design.
2. The Division will have single player campaign, not sure if it will require constant online connection, but i would imagine it will need it when playing co-op, otherwise i think you can play it offline (i could be wrong though), you can head to The Division board and check it out.
3. Watch dogs doesnt force you to be online, online is required to play MP, otherwise you can play it offline and also you have the option to turn off all online features even if you are online.
3. ACU will not require constant online connection, you only need it to play co-op, again its not DRM rather than playing co-op.

i think by saying going to always online direction, they mean the MP/Co-op is integrated seamlessly with SinglePlayer like watchdogs, so if you want to experience and play Co-op, MP and online features (i.e. AC4 Fleet) then you have to be online but not forced, so it doesnt mean always online DRM.

P.S: Ubisoft patched AC2 long time ago and removed constant online connection before releasing ACB not AC3, around 2 years before AC3.

AherasSTRG
08-22-2014, 11:21 AM
As far as the MMO thing goes, one of the developers of Unity, I don't remember his name, the guy with the short gray hair, not Amandio, the other one... Anyway, one of the developers said that his personal vision for the AC franchise is an MMO in which you can share the experience with hundreds of other people at the same time. But he also said that Ubi is very far away from making his vision a reality. So, no MMO for at least 5 more years I assume.

As for the always online requirement, honestly, I do not know.

Mr_Shade
08-22-2014, 01:07 PM
The only reason you will need to be online - is for accessing online features.

The game will be playable - without internet connections, as are all of Ubisoft's titles, which have a single player game. - however as already said, you will lose some features - like Co Op / leader boards etc.

the game won't refuse to work - if you don't have an internet connection - since Uplay has an Offline mode - though your experience, may not be complete - since part of the fun of gaming is being online.

The always online - refers to the fact you can seamlessly join friends games for co op - from Single Player - if connected ;)

EverAmbiguous
08-23-2014, 02:31 AM
I believe I wasn't clear. I had a longer version of my original post that explained things better, but I shortened it dramatically so as to keep reader attention.

First off, it was AC2, and ACB that had the always-online Uplay requirement. It was dropped around ACR, and patched out. I've got all these on PC now.

I realize that The Crew and The Division are MMOs (I've been over to their forums, their dev Q&A, they've said it's always-online). And I realize that both WD and Unity are offline OR online games.

My concern is that Ubisoft will return to the always-online type of AC game--not so much as a DRM, as you mentioned Yaz, but as a game type, as Aheradrim said. That worries me, because I don't think it's necessary and it will unnecessarily prevent some players like myself from playing.

I wish I could find a source off the top of my head, but there have been so many articles over the last few months. I'll try to find a few though--they've directly mentioned that they see AC going into a forced online type of game.

YazX_
08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
I believe I wasn't clear. I had a longer version of my original post that explained things better, but I shortened it dramatically so as to keep reader attention.

First off, it was AC2, and ACB that had the always-online Uplay requirement. It was dropped around ACR, and patched out. I've got all these on PC now.

I realize that The Crew and The Division are MMOs (I've been over to their forums, their dev Q&A, they've said it's always-online). And I realize that both WD and Unity are offline OR online games.

My concern is that Ubisoft will return to the always-online type of AC game--not so much as a DRM, as you mentioned Yaz, but as a game type, as Aheradrim said. That worries me, because I don't think it's necessary and it will unnecessarily prevent some players like myself from playing.

I wish I could find a source off the top of my head, but there have been so many articles over the last few months. I'll try to find a few though--they've directly mentioned that they see AC going into a forced online type of game.

i'm sorry but the info about AC is incorrect, the only AC game that required always online DRM is AC2 (ACB never had it), and before the release of ACB, they dropped it completely, now UPlay is required to play all Ubisoft games, though it has offline mode so its not always online DRM.

noone likes always online DRM including myself, i highly doubt that Ubisoft will return to this kind of practice after all negative feedback from customers and the proof of that they completely dumped it.

EverAmbiguous
08-23-2014, 08:28 PM
I did not know that. Interesting. Thanks.

However, about Unity, here's one article where they asked someone named Vincent Pontbriand, apparently a senior producer, about the game going always-online:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/469099/interviews/assassins-creed-unity-interview-the-french-revolution-was-always-in-our-plans/

It's at the very end. Stuff like that worries me.

YazX_
08-23-2014, 10:34 PM
I did not know that. Interesting. Thanks.

However, about Unity, here's one article where they asked someone named Vincent Pontbriand, apparently a senior producer, about the game going always-online:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/469099/interviews/assassins-creed-unity-interview-the-french-revolution-was-always-in-our-plans/

It's at the very end. Stuff like that worries me.

well yah but you can hardly call it DRM, what was in AC2 something more complicated than this, its like the game cannot continue unless if it gets what to do next, part of the code was missing from the game and it syncs with the server to get and execute that code, but whats going on here is to play online features, you have to be online which makes perfect sense.

i dont see any harm in doing so, actually it will increase games' sales so people would buy the game to play these online features without affecting customers who would rather stay offline, and usually such features will not affect your gameplay experience and we have seen this in the past, so i think this is perfectly fine and great idea to integrate MP seamlessly with SP.

you dont have to be worried, ACU is going to be a great game, so enjoy every moment of it !

Anykeyer
08-25-2014, 08:48 AM
It wouldnt need online as a form of DRM but every AC since AC2 added more and more online features. Its started with Uplay rewards, then they had animus training leaderboards and shop investments in ACB and so on. Now AC4 has special types of encounters (white whales, royal convoys), fleet management mini-game, 2nd screen companion app and other stuff that only works if you are online. They are simply continuing to go this route in Unity. Its still single player game at its core, playable offline, but it will also require online if you want access to everything.