PDA

View Full Version : Fortress, the Faction for Ashan !

Dwarfurious
08-21-2014, 07:58 PM
There is a very important distinction to be made between these two factions when decisions are made. The most important of which is this; Dwarves love themselves some fighting. They relish combat, they are passionate for wrecking. Thats a pretty big deal, people always say that the winner "wanted it more."

Another is tactics.. Elves use gorilla tactics, and the thing about that is... It doesnt work well when you're playing with others. They'll be fighting alongside Orcs, Wizards, Haven, and Necromancers. I assume these factions will be working together, but gorilla tactics dont mesh well with how these other factions handle warfare, this is a faction that really works better 'alone'. Dwarves on the other hand bring more than just a solid army and an array of siege weapons, they bring a strong economy and prosperous industry. If anything, the Elves should just stay home and defend their forests, and maybe clean up the swath of destruction later, let them re-plant some forests or something. Their other advantage of Speed means little when marching alongside other armies, you're all tied to the slowest units. Dwarves, Haven, and Stronghold will likely get along very well on the battlefield. Disciplined, solid, fierce.

Speaking of forests, a lot of what elves do kind of rely on being in a forest. Forest creatures are their allies, probably hard to come by in a desert or the steppes. Can you imagine unicorns and treants marching through the snow? Dwarves have no such limitations, and in fact their entire army is all-terrain, day and night. Even their siege weapons, mighty cannons, could be fitted on the backs of tamed Basilisks. The elves bring magic, but so what? Academy has that covered. The Dwarves bring Runes, something nobody else has, imagine how powerful a Titan embedded with Runes could be? What wall of stone can hold back a people that burrow through solid rock by talking too it?

Then you have logistics... Dwarves already have a decent trade empire, but the elves RARELY trade, all of their resources come naturally and evenly, their animal friends take care of themselves, they have a rather small standing army. Dwarves are already keen on logistics, and could be quick to build roads and fortifications for an army on the move. Dwarves could carry an army through any terrain ! Murky swamps? Bottomless chasm? Solid cliff face? No problem! Runic Priests can simply manipulate stone, creating land bridges over pits, tunnels through mountain, dry roads rising out of the swamps.

Not to mention you'd have access to an underground network of tunnels for marching troops unseen by your enemies, an invaluable tactical asset.
Here is a Longbeard Dwarf, he gives no ****s. The great thing about being short but strong is you can wear armor with much less strain and have far better balance, this is why dwarves are often in heavy armor for it slows them down much less than anyone else. An armored dwarf can simply throw himself at his enemies.
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs36/i/2008/241/8/c/the_longbeard_by_vassdeviant.jpg

logical.dust
08-24-2014, 07:15 PM
What units would you like to have in this race? Same as in H5 ? If there was added some adventure map manipulations, it would be nice to have undeground 'teleporting' tunnels as a possible quick movement option or escape routes in case of town siege, I totally agree. Also more undeground map layers could be nice (not just one) with possible effect on the units morale or effectivness in various areas. I believe that combat war machines in general should be rethinked - diferent factions would have access to diferent machines and there should be much more of those (baricades, rams some anti-archer protection carts, various traps, some explosives to get castle walls down faster or some wall climbing tools ... it should not be so easy to defeat castle withous some of those.

Dwarfurious
08-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Academy is shown to have a Small and Large obelisk for Warfare units, plus the healing tent. Fortress would have a Cannon, a Blacksmith for armor/weapon upgrades in combat, and probably a heal tent.
Would like to see Engineer/Sappers like in the Lore, a heavily armed Battle Smith, and a Basilisk with a cannon on its back for a champion :P

logical.dust
08-24-2014, 10:25 PM
I believe that armory should be part of standart tech tree (in town), similar to mage guild, making better armory would allow you to equip army with better weapons. Could be diferent in all factions, also it would allow to build war machines and do their upgrades ... also some town defence machines or tower damage/initiative boost or some logistic mounts - increasing hero adventuring move points. Posibilities are endless... I just hope that at least few suggestions would be considered. From what I see on H7 page, it seems that there will be another H6 :/ ... dire wolf in heaven? OMG ... most people there are dissapointed that some factions will be ruled out ...

lokdron
08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Well haven is made up of duchies and one of the duchies is the wolf duchy who uses OMG wolves... who are most likely supporting Ivan's claim to the throne. Hence the dire wolf option.

logical.dust
08-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Well yes, I am sorry that I do not follow the story at all and then all units seems completely random to me. Why dont we put some minotaurs or hydra in heaven ? I am pretty sure that there could be some explanation for that in the story ... as we already have diplomatic deamons.

logical.dust
08-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Mixing gameplay (creatures composition) with the story to the extent that you replace content that fans have been used to with some randomly invented creatures which fit to the story is not going to be any good. Wolf or wolf rider was in stronghold faction in H2, H3, in sylvan in H4, neutral in H5 and now ... give it to the heaven. Game design is being destroyed, altered so it fits the story .... why isnt the story altered so it does not mess up with the design? Like this everything have to be remade, its more expensive and there is no space for other factions. If I am only one who dont like this, I am prepared to admit it and never post anything again, which is pointless waste of time for me and for all those who read it ...

logical.dust
08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Just a side note ... ubisoft gave fans chance to decide elves vs dwarves ... I believe that most of people were considering mostly gameplay when making their choice, not the story (nobody really cares about story in this decision). However it is mainly story which will be affected and then factions will be filled up with creatures that will fit ... I think I am done here ... I wish developers good luck.

logical.dust
08-25-2014, 01:23 PM
One more thought ... it is the creatures that people get attached to ... not the story ... can you imagine if they replaced Toothless in the How to train your dragon 2 movie, or Jack Sparrow in Pirates of caribbean?? Story should be made around the creatures in the universe not other way around. Story can be diferent every time, but if you change creatures every time your design will be completely uninteresting and nobody will care about it.

lokdron
08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Well you should see the heroes community forum they are down right loving Haven's line up in H7 and many of them hated H6. Plus on other fan sites so majority likes them even those who did not like H6 so you are quite a minority here I think.

logical.dust
08-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Which forum you mean? Give me some link. For some reason I do not believe you at all as H7 is not finished - there is nothing to like yet and from what I read on https://mmh7.ubi.com people just complain about the fact that they have to choose between factions.