PDA

View Full Version : Bilingual language setting in AC:U?

White_top
08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
I don't know if this has been brought up before, and although I play primarily on PC, I have played AC2 and 3 on console. I recently started playing AC4 Freedom Cry and something stuck out to me, that I think would be very interesting for ACU. I am bilingual, equally fluent in french and english. I also realize that many other players may be bilingual with other language combinations, because ACU is about to be released I will focus on english/french, but this could be applied to any other major language in AC games past and future.

I'm happy to see, almost impressed, even, by the amount of options ubisoft has provided for spoken and text languages in AC4. However, as someone who understands english and french equally, walking around the french-governed islands and having npcs talk to each other in english with french accents just feels wrong. I understand that for some situations, understanding what they are saying is important, and yes, when I started, my spoken language was indeed set to english. However, I'm sure that most characters in ACU.. you know, in Paris, would have french as their mother tongue, not english, and certainly not with a British accent. But I'm guessing not EVERY character in the whole game will be French/French speaking (Desmond wasn't particularly italian, and I wonder how much turkish and any other language spoken in Constantinople, Ezzio really knew).

What I would like to see moving forward, or even patched in previous games, is the option to set your default spoken language, and then select any (of the available audio languages) that you as a player understand, And have the game use the appropriate combination of these settings in the appropriate circumstances. I'm trying to avoid too many spoilers for ACU, so I'll use examples from AC4/FreedomCry. How cool would it be to have Adéwalé speaking french to the French colonials/slaves, and then english when dealing with the British, it just makes sense, doesn't it? Games like mass effect or KOTOR have also used subtitles for translations of aliens not using "common"/english, and this is perfectly acceptable, so there could also be a "true language" setting that makes all characters use their proper language and any that aren't your main language/selected languages, get subtitles.

And if a character is bilingual, then great, cast someone who can speak, or at least read for, the required languages of that character. It just seems silly to be walking through a community of characters who all speak the same language, but are instead all reading their lines in english, possibly with the other language's accent. Take that silliness up an order of magnitude when everyone in France sounds British, and double it for anyone who actually understands french, and thus I understand frustrations with this issue for other languages in the series.

I will probably end up playing ACU with french audio and english text, but I'll be disappointed to know that some of the lines being spoken, SHOULD be in english, but I'll be hearing the french version, because I know most of the characters in the game are indeed French/Parisians.

Does anyone else think there should be a form of "bilingual/multilingual setting" in these games?

Jexx21
08-21-2014, 06:51 AM
I think Assassin's Creed should pull a Wolfenstein and have authentic spoken langauge with subtitles.

But Wolfenstein also had a lot of english, so...

Sesheenku
08-21-2014, 07:50 AM
I think Assassin's Creed should pull a Wolfenstein and have authentic spoken langauge with subtitles.

But Wolfenstein also had a lot of english, so...

The rest of the games did have that, in AC4 the Spanish guards speak Spanish pretty much all the time, Spanish is my second language ;P

I'm sure we'll still hear a lot of French, just not from the main characters, but guards and mobs, and most other people will probably speak French.

jeordievera
08-21-2014, 08:54 AM
I think even the main characters will spill a few French words, Dan Jeannotte the VA of Arno confirmed that.
But I don't think the NPCs will speak French, if you watch the demos they are speaking English with a few monsieurs slipping here and there..

wvstolzing
08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
The Animus is supposed to have a Star Trek-style 'universal translator'; that's how they get around the language issues.

White_top
08-21-2014, 01:42 PM
The Animus is supposed to have a Star Trek-style 'universal translator'; that's how they get around the language issues.

I see what you are saying, and although I don't completely disagree with the concept, why then would all previous generations of Animus retain the accent of X countryman/woman speaking in english, but for Paris, the animus makes it British sounding? (in footage I've seen so far)

marvelfannumber
08-21-2014, 01:46 PM
You know what, just to avoid all the controversy regarding the accents/voices in general, they should just pull a Banjo Kazooie and have everyone speak gibberish.

aL_____eX
08-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Like the german language in Valiant Hearts, which was quite hilarious.

jeordievera
08-21-2014, 04:02 PM
I want Arno to speak German!

aL_____eX
08-21-2014, 04:13 PM
I want Arno to speak German!
I don't, the german version would be terrible then. But would give me a reason to play with english audio on my first walkthrough.

jeordievera
08-21-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't, the german version would be terrible then. But would give me a reason to play with english audio on my first walkthrough.
Well I want him to just slip a few German words, maybe like when he's talking with his Austrian mum :)