PDA

View Full Version : Why do you...

LieutenantRex
08-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Why do you guys always obsess over the developers/directors of the games when a new AC is announced? I remember when ACR was revealed a bunch of you guys pulled into Amancio's stirrup to ride him. Same with Darby when AC3 got announced. Then Ashraf Ismail for AC4, and now Amancio again. Stop focusing on these guys and instead on the games themselves please. These guys have barely any influence on the actual game.

JustPlainQuirky
08-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Came here expecting a troll thread. Am midly disappointed.

Regardless of how much I obsess over the darbs, I look forward to other peeps AC games with an open mind. I like to give people like Travis Stout a fair chance. :)

Matt.mc
08-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Wait...so you're saying the Creative Director have barely influence? Where the hell did you hear that? That's like saying the Director of a movie has barely any influence.

Fatal-Feit
08-21-2014, 06:34 AM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/wat-meme.jpg

Jexx21
08-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Darby wasn't involved in AC3, he was involved in AC4.

For us, they're the public face of the development teams.

souNdwAve89
08-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Wait...so you're saying the Creative Director have barely influence? Where the hell did you hear that? That's like saying the Director of a movie has barely any influence.

This.

Whether Creative Director or Game Director, they are really important figures in the development of the game. There are other "important" people such as the writer(s) since you need to have a solid story. Of course, everyone on the development team are important too such as programmers, artists, audio engineers, etc.

Sesheenku
08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm not one of those people... I didn't start paying attention till AC4. I respect Mr.Ishmael for bringing a better game than 3.

As for Amancio, I had no problems with Revelations except for den defense, I'm neutral with him so far, if I pick up Unity and find it objectively better (whether I like the game or not) he'll have my respect as well.

So far he appears very admirable and honest, we'll see where the pieces fall.

shobhit7777777
08-21-2014, 07:52 AM
objectively better (whether I like the game or not)

:nonchalance:

I've noticed that a lot of AC forum members talk about "objectivity" "personal opinion vs fact" etc. without really having a clue. I blame M for this.

A Creative Director position is an important one....I'd like to know who is driving the project and if he/she is aligned with my vision of the game.

Matt.mc
08-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Exactly, Amancio was said in a recent interview that he likes when weapons can be put onto the hidden blade (hence the hookblade) so everyone who likes the Phantom blade should thank him because I have no doubt it was his idea.

Sesheenku
08-21-2014, 08:33 AM
:nonchalance:

I've noticed that a lot of AC forum members talk about "objectivity" "personal opinion vs fact" etc. without really having a clue. I blame M for this.

A Creative Director position is an important one....I'd like to know who is driving the project and if he/she is aligned with my vision of the game.

Dude.. I'm the polar opposite of M. We share a passion for debate and these games and we can be civil debaters but I think that's where the similarities end. That said the rest of this post has nothing to do with our comparisons and contrasts.

Objectively as in although I hate it and find it boring, it did take the time to attempt to improve stealth and make an attempt at an open world. Do I subjectively think it succeeded? Not really. Is stealth objectively workable? Sure, you can hide, kill, and hide again without trouble. Is the open world open? Subjectively, its too boring to care about it being open and thus feels no different than other AC's, objectively, it's seamless and has a lot of activities and a lot to do besides the story.

AC4 unlike 3 works in all it's activities, that's enough for it to be better than 3, if we break it down much of 3's stuff is problematic and before the patches was basically broken.

For months I kept getting my second gun replaced by the lousy starter gun, AI was psychic, and I could fall through waterfalls and out of the map entirely.

So yes because 4 works it's objectively better by a touch. That's not a bias of mine cause everyone knows I utterly hate 4 pretty much as much as I hate 3. I'm disgusted by its lack of innovation and filthy attempt to cover that up by forcing most of the game to be about a different style of game play entirely.

I assure you... you won't find many on this forum as willing to concede a point to a well made counter. You can see that in all my serious debates. I do my absolute best to leave opinion and bias at the door before I even get into a debate.

naumaan
08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Why do you guys always obsess over the developers/directors of the games when a new AC is announced? I remember when ACR was revealed a bunch of you guys pulled into Amancio's stirrup to ride him. Same with Darby when AC3 got announced. Then Ashraf Ismail for AC4, and now Amancio again. Stop focusing on these guys and instead on the games themselves please. These guys have barely any influence on the actual game.

okie .. but when you look at the viewpoints system in assassins creed 3 and listen to hutchison saying ... its all about exploration ... how can you pull the developers out

RinoTheBouncer
08-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Well to be perfectly honest, I agree with the OP to some extent. Most people obsess over a certain composer or DJ when he collaborates with an artist we like or a certain video game dev and I do know thereís a large effect of those people on the final product since for example James Cameron has a huge impact on films and most if not all films heís part of are nothing short of amazing and same goes for Hideo Kojima, for example. But those are rare cases and usually occur when a true genius is involved but most of the time, a developer/story-writer/composer makes something good and then they just canít repeat that success.

Iím not saying this to insult anybody, but Iím just stating a fact that often happens. I myself donít fight over who should make the next AC, because as long as I see something that appeals to me, I will be happy about it whether it is a director who made something I loved or hated before or whether I knew him before this or not.

Landruner
08-21-2014, 02:44 PM

Actually sorry to say that you are wrong - they do influence the games!

LoyalACFan
08-21-2014, 05:05 PM
I think I have a pretty open mind about the creative director until they tell us a bit about their design philosophy. I didn't like Amancio during ACR's development because he was pushing a bunch of features I thought were superfluous and cheesy (den defense, bombcrafting, hookblade), but now that we know ACR was only given like nine months of dev time I can sympathize with the guy. And his vision for Unity sounds pretty much exactly like what I've always wanted AC to be, so I'm hopeful that he'll deliver now that he's got his chance to shine.

Although I still want to punch whoever came up with the horse and carriage parasailing mission.

pacmanate
08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Hail Ashraf

Fatal-Feit
08-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Although I still want to punch whoever came up with the horse and carriage parasailing mission.

lul

Who could forget that atrocity? But non of Brotherhood's Da Vinci's Machine missions bothered you?

Shahkulu101
08-21-2014, 05:17 PM
And yet you are one of the guys who claim that Patrice was the mastermind behind the flawless AC2 and that everything went downhill when he left?

Yeah nice try...

LoyalACFan
08-21-2014, 05:25 PM
lul

Who could forget that atrocity? But non of Brotherhood's Da Vinci's Machine missions bothered you?

As a matter of fact I did hate the Bomber one. The Machine Gun and Naval Cannon were pretty cool. The Tank was ridiculous, but at least it was fun :p

jayjay275
08-21-2014, 05:33 PM
OP, stop trying to cause arguments. You are bashing on Lord Ashraf. You referred to him as "The muslim guy", which to me is disappointing. Ashraf knew what to do and DID IT, much more so than Alex Hutchinson. Now, Alex Amancio, he's just seamless, there is no doubt about it. Plus, Alex Amancio looks like Giorgio Locatelli.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00279/100508412_locatelli_279088b.jpg

pacmanate
08-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Y'all need to stop blaming Alex for the entire of AC3

jayjay275
08-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Y'all need to stop blaming Alex for the entire of AC3

True, I think he recieves too much hate. I'm sure he didn't make all the decisions, but many of the decisions felt like promises to me, but those promises weren't a reality. Damn, frozen lakes, scalping and all sorts could've been so exciting. Imagine if AC3 had been delayed till current gen it would've been even better.

Jexx21
08-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Hutchinson's work on Far Cry 4 looks great so far.

pacmanate
08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
True, I think he recieves too much hate. I'm sure he didn't make all the decisions, but many of the decisions felt like promises to me, but those promises weren't a reality. Damn, frozen lakes, scalping and all sorts could've been so exciting. Imagine if AC3 had been delayed till current gen it would've been even better.

Agreed minus the scalping... you sick ****.

But I think it was more a time issue, this project was way too ambitous to only have a 3 year dev time

Jexx21
08-21-2014, 05:45 PM
The Mohawks didn't scalp people, so that wouldn't have made sense.

AC3 should have started development a year before AC2 released if it wanted to make both the 2012 release date and make a great game.

jayjay275
08-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Agreed minus the scalping... you sick ****.

But I think it was more a time issue, this project was way too ambitous to only have a 3 year dev time

Mhm. When I look at the E3 demo for AC3 and Connor trades the meat to the butcher, I say, "Where the hell was that!?". Of course though, that was merely a demo and not the final game. I thought scalping could've been cool, seeing as Connor's a Native American after all, but now, it doesn't really suite Connor's nature/personality.
EDIT: I recall Alex Hutchinson saying at Comic Con that scalping wasn't in the final game because Ubisoft didn't want to see videos on youtube of scalped heads on the floor.

Jexx21
08-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Mhm. When I look at the E3 demo for AC3 and Connor trades the meat to the butcher, I say, "Where the hell was that!?". Of course though, that was merely a demo and not the final game. I thought scalping could've been cool, seeing as Connor's a Native American after all, but now, it doesn't really suite Connor's nature/personality.

Oh, it was there, as delivery quests. One of the worst side mission lines in Assassin's Creed history.

jayjay275
08-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah. Delivery requests were among one of the worst decisions in side content. The homestead missions are the best side missions throughout the series, in my opinion.

FR0ZENZiNE
08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
I think you don't get what creative & game directors are responsible for. They decide what ends up beign in the game and what not. They have a huge responsibility.

OP, stop trying to cause arguments. You are bashing on Lord Ashraf. You referred to him as "The muslim guy", which to me is disappointing. Ashraf knew what to do and DID IT, much more so than Alex Hutchinson. Now, Alex Amancio, he's just seamless, there is no doubt about it. Plus, Alex Amancio looks like Giorgio Locatelli.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00279/100508412_locatelli_279088b.jpg

Amancio is Gaben in the AC community, isn't he? lol

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-21-2014, 06:43 PM
In response to the scalping taken out of the game:

Lead Game Designer Steven Masters mentioned that Connor could originally scalp his opponents, but it was removed from the game since Ubisoft's Mohawk consultants felt that it was an unusual thing for their ancestors to do, and Ubisoft agreed that it was too brutal for Connor's character.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Ratonhnhakť:ton

pacmanate
08-21-2014, 07:19 PM
^

Also apparently natives didnt actually do that and their would be sick people would make piles of scalp shavings and put it on youtube.

Fatal-Feit
08-21-2014, 07:27 PM
In Forsaken, they talked about how the natives didn't actually scalp people.