PDA

View Full Version : About occupying mines

fista1
08-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Hello,
They say that there should be a place where the community can give developers their suggestions about Might & Magic: Heroes VII. I haven't found the place, so I'll write my suggestion here.
I like more the way of capturing mines that is present in Might & Magic: Heroes VI than how it's done in the previous titles. That is, I just have to capture a fort and the mines that are on the forts territory will be mine.
In the previous titles, I don't like that I have to run around the map, taking back all the mines that the enemy had taken from my, one by one. I think it's boring and unnecesary.
Could you implement the way of capturing mines that was in M&M: Heroes VI in the next title, please?

Sandelphon
08-20-2014, 03:32 PM
It hink they didn't make that part of their website yet, cause people generally have tons of suggestions.

Concerning your suggestion, I think they'll probably make a poll or something. For example, I prefer the old fashionned "if you lose a mine, you got to take it back". But I'm not allergic to changes, so let's wait and see.

Just hope they take their time, and track the bugs and stuff.

logical.dust
08-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Hello,
They say that there should be a place where the community can give developers their suggestions about Might & Magic: Heroes VII. I haven't found the place, so I'll write my suggestion here.
I like more the way of capturing mines that is present in Might & Magic: Heroes VI than how it's done in the previous titles. That is, I just have to capture a fort and the mines that are on the forts territory will be mine.
In the previous titles, I don't like that I have to run around the map, taking back all the mines that the enemy had taken from my, one by one. I think it's boring and unnecesary.
Could you implement the way of capturing mines that was in M&M: Heroes VI in the next title, please?

Whole resources and adventuring part of HOMM was screwed in H6. By acquiring enemy mines you force him to move out of city, preventing him from just sitting in castle doing nothing and massing army. I find that more boring than acquiring mines after someone taken them. I believe that whole concept of teritory was made so AI does not have to bother with so many vertices and algorithm would be easier to write and would perform faster. Also strategy aspect suffers from this as you do not have to bother with more heroes or special positioning - you just sit in castle and if you have enough you go straight to enemy castle (no need to bother with anything else). All this simplifications at the cost of gameplay ... If you think that acquiring mines is boring, it would be better I believe to suggest mechanics wich would allow to queue hero movement - so when enemy takes 10 your mines you just send one hero - queue all moves and dont bother about it any more. If he gets killed ... well pity, but you should have protected him better. It is strategic game, enemy should have not acquired your mines in the first place. If you do same mistakes again and find corrective actions boring, then dont do the mistakes and change your strategy. I believe that this teritory and resource management thing was one of biggest flaws of H6.

Dwarfurious
08-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Nobody ever won by sitting in their own base, if they're locked in there then you may as well of already won, you have total map control.
Babysitting mines was just a hassle, it was a constant game of cat and mouse where a mine is stolen and you have to send a few units to get it back, and then another is stole, and you're just chasing a couple units all over reclaiming things. Age of Wonders 3 implemented this as domains and its much better but in AoW3 you can have units without a hero, i assume wont be like that in Heroes 7. I think its good that a city actually does what a city should do, project a domain of ownership. They just need to work on the mechanic more like AoW3

znork
08-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Hello,

Hi fista1 well this is a place wher youre ides will be read, but you very seldom get answers from the devs. But the dves read forums like old people read news papaipers.

So all the deabats and the ides will be read and rewed. I for one ended up beeing name a hero in heros 5 and 6 becuse of this forum.

logical.dust
08-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Nobody ever won by sitting in their own base, if they're locked in there then you may as well of already won, you have total map control.
Babysitting mines was just a hassle, it was a constant game of cat and mouse where a mine is stolen and you have to send a few units to get it back, and then another is stole, and you're just chasing a couple units all over reclaiming things. Age of Wonders 3 implemented this as domains and its much better but in AoW3 you can have units without a hero, i assume wont be like that in Heroes 7. I think its good that a city actually does what a city should do, project a domain of ownership. They just need to work on the mechanic more like AoW3

Well yes, It is bothering and thats why you have to put little strategy when moving out, leave some troops for defending, split army. If you were cat chasing the mouse then your strategy wasnt very clever. You simply have to deal with what opponent choses to do. I would welcome some mine upgrades, with posibility to garison them and gain some sort of tactical advantage at defense to prevent very weak armies from taking over them, perhaps with garison hero gaining some experience. Puting just one castle to defend everything seems to me just too much. There are other ways of preventing this as someone mentioned .. some strategic adventure spels - for example changing temporarily some terain to snow or sand which would slow opponent, or in fact ok - some defensive spell that would protect all mines in some area from capturing, but not just stupid 1 castle protects it all... you should still take some action if your opponent sneaks upon you. In fact you want to punish all those who were clever enough to take mine from you by completely forbidding this kind of moves so all gameplay falls into who masses bigger army.