PDA

View Full Version : Some dude just told me

Darkljolly
08-19-2014, 06:43 AM
AC1's combat had a lot of depth. I'm kinda speechless because I always thought AC1s combat was only counter, and i can't really remember a lot about the combat other than countering a lot. Is this true? Or is this dude drunk?

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Meh not really. It's better cause it's not as easy and the counter timing can be hard on the hidden blade with all the different attack speeds at first but that's it.

Assassin_M
08-19-2014, 06:56 AM
No AC combat system had depth. AC I's combat was just, in my opinion, the best in the series because of the smaller counter windows and combo kills.

Darkljolly
08-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Quote of the reply to me thinking AC1 combat was mostly countering

"Again, anyone who spent time with the game and actually bothered to experiment with the combat would know just how deep the combat was. Yes, you could just counter everything. But why? That would be boring. Which is why many people didn't like this game. You didn't have to do everything that was fun or interesting in this game, but you could."

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Quote of the reply to me thinking AC1 combat was mostly countering

"Again, anyone who spent time with the game and actually bothered to experiment with the combat would know just how deep the combat was. Yes, you could just counter everything. But why? That would be boring. Which is why many people didn't like this game. You didn't have to do everything that was fun or interesting in this game, but you could."

What else is there to do? Lol, break defense and then button mash? Kick em down and then stab em?

Please..

I can guarantee I played more hours of AC1 than most sane people.. I even beat that post near Acre with like 50 guards with the hidden blade only and didn't take any damage.

Darkljolly
08-19-2014, 07:26 AM
What else is there to do? Lol, break defense and then button mash? Kick em down and then stab em?

Please..

I can guarantee I played more hours of AC1 than most sane people.. I even beat that post near Acre with like 50 guards with the hidden blade only and didn't take any damage.

"Counters, parries, power attacks, side steps, timed combos, throws, defense breaks, leaping attacks, high and low profile attacks, and individual weapon tactics and techniques made for much richer and deeper combat than subsequent games. Some of this was explained in game, but most other things you had to figure out on your own. Most people never realized how complex it was because they rushed through the game or didn't pay attention or didn't care. But, like almost everything else in AC1, that stuff is all there to be discovered if you are willing to look. Most didn't bother"

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 07:40 AM
"Counters, parries, power attacks, side steps, timed combos, throws, defense breaks, leaping attacks, high and low profile attacks, and individual weapon tactics and techniques made for much richer and deeper combat than subsequent games. Some of this was explained in game, but most other things you had to figure out on your own. Most people never realized how complex it was because they rushed through the game or didn't pay attention or didn't care. But, like almost everything else in AC1, that stuff is all there to be discovered if you are willing to look. Most didn't bother"

Dude please, all you're doing is listing simplistic mechanics to make it look more in depth than it is.

You got your heavy, light, and normal attacks, you got a block and you have a counter, you can dodge, and you can combo kill, throw them into an object, yeah break their defense so you can hit them some more and then an early version of the air assassination.

The dagger is just faster.. the sword does more damage. So what?

It all ends up into the same repetitive crap, button mash em, break their defense and button mash em, tired of button mashing so throw them into the wood things to insta kill, dodge attack, block it, leap on their head with the hidden blade to look cool.

Choice doesn't mean depth. It all amounts to either one button win or button mashing with a bit of timing to get an easy combo kill. Power attacks usually go through defense anyways btw so break defense is only useful against higher rank enemies, everyone else can be quickly taken out with mindless button mashing, it's not like the combo kill timing is difficult.

Fatal-Feit
08-19-2014, 07:45 AM
"Counters, parries, power attacks, side steps, timed combos, throws, defense breaks, leaping attacks, high and low profile attacks, and individual weapon tactics and techniques made for much richer and deeper combat than subsequent games.

Um.... Take out power attacks and that's AC:1-AC:R, except AC:2-AC:R offered more techniques.

LoyalACFan
08-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Meh. I enjoyed ACR's combat the most TBH, though mostly only because of the awesome slow-mo kills at the end of a fight, and the Janissaries.. Beyond that, no AC has had very good combat.

Fatal-Feit
08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
The hookblade and loot-counter are why I love Revelations' combat so much.

wvstolzing
08-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Combat is a fail state anyway.

Isn't it?

Fatal-Feit
08-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Combat is a fail state anyway.

Isn't it?

In Unity, yes. The past games have always sort of endorsed combat, one way or another.