PDA

View Full Version : Any one else feel worried about Unity?

Darkljolly
08-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Watch Dogs seemed amazing at first and on paper and we saw how that ended.

Unity is making so much overhaul to the gameplay, it sounds to good to be true. I feel like its going to comprimise the game's story as well as polish. I'm worried for not only a lot of bugs but in the end this 'promise' of freedom in black boxes is all this ****e. As well as adding romance to the story, boy. I hope I'm wrong

Subject J80
08-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Unity is making so much overhaul to the gameplay, it sounds to good to be true. I feel like its going to comprimise the game's story as well as polish. I'm worried for not only a lot of bugs but in the end this 'promise' of freedom in black boxes is all this ****e. As well as adding romance to the story, boy. I hope I'm wrong

Nope, can't say I am.

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm always a little bit worried.

LoyalACFan
08-18-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't see how gameplay improvements = sacrificing story? Different teams work on each. And I also don't see how romance is bad, ACR had romance and its story was great. Yeah it had a few goofy missions like cutting flowers with the hidden blade, but Elise seems the type to go cut her own damn flowers if she wants them ;) Bugs are always a concern, especially with games that introduce huge new mechanics, but as long as there aren't any pervasive, game-breaking ones I'll be okay.

jeordievera
08-18-2014, 08:11 PM
I am worried a bit but on the other hand I believe it will be very different and amazing in it's own way :) I'm no hater ;)

pacmanate
08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Im passed caring about the story. Im in love with the blackboxes. Thats all ive ever wanted.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-18-2014, 08:34 PM
A little worried, but just don't get too hyped. Don't wanna end up being disappointed ;)

CoachAssassin
08-18-2014, 08:36 PM
AC2 was also a complete overhaul in setting, gameplay etc. AC2 became the best AC according to a lot of people because of that overhaul.

JustPlainQuirky
08-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Nah not worried.

Looks fun enough already IMO.

I'm trusting Amancio's words.

SHADOWGARVIN
08-18-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm not worried.

AssassinHMS
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
I might be a little worried about the game because I want it to succeed. But I would be a lot more worried about the franchise if it wasn't for Unity's big gameplay overhaul.

Shahkulu101
08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes we did see how Watch Dogs turned out, great.

And we will see how Unity turns out, great.

killzab
Nah not worried.

Looks fun enough already IMO.

I'm trusting Amancio's words.

yeah, Amancio is pretty trustworthy, unlike Hutchinson

Megas_Doux
Two things mostly:

1 I hated ACB´s Rome, love its real version though. I am afraid that might happen again in Unity, mostly since, not including the CO-OP demo, only Íle de la cite has been shown.
2 The whole Mission design not living up to the hype, like ACIII.

JustPlainQuirky
@killzab

Why wasn't Hutchinson trustworthy?

just curious. wasnt here back then when he was in charge.

killzab
08-18-2014, 08:54 PM
@killzab

Why wasn't Hutchinson trustworthy?

just curious. wasnt here back then when he was in charge.

Well, he made A LOT of unkept promises, one of the most famous ones being the lack of Frozen lakes, or even seeing the great fire in NY.

Or the BS we heard about the game being already finished in March and they had enough time to polish the game a lot because of the extra time ...

JustPlainQuirky
08-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Well, he made A LOT of unkept promises, one of the most famous ones being the lack of Frozen lakes, or even seeing the great fire in NY.

Or the BS we heard about the game being already finished in March and they had enough time to polish the game a lot because of the extra time ...

Oh.........

people were really that excited about frozen lakes, huh.

jeordievera
08-18-2014, 09:13 PM
yeah, Amancio is pretty trustworthy, unlike Hutchinson
Amancio is pretty seamless thus I trust his words!

Megas_Doux
08-18-2014, 09:17 PM

That was a BIG one!!!!

LoyalACFan
08-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Oh.........

Frozen lakes, great fire of New York, canoes, buck hunting, swimming animals, RANDOM EVENTS... a lot of stuff got cut, it wasn't just lakes.

killzab
08-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Oh.........

It is just an example of the features that were hyped for the game, implying that the weather would have an impact on the gameplay etc ..

jeordievera
08-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Now I am disapointed, I would love canoes and the great fire of NY!

GunnerGalactico
08-18-2014, 09:20 PM
So far, Unity looks promising...but I'm not extremely hyped about it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though.

FrankieSatt
08-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Watchdogs was one of the best games I've played in 2014 and the one game I've played the most this year so far.

Saying that, I have ZERO doubts or worry about AC Unity and I pre-ordered it once I saw the E3 videos of it. It's going back to the roots of AC.

The only thing I'm curious about is how they will do the "Current Day" game play.

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Watchdogs was one of the best games I've played in 2014 and the one game I've played the most this year so far.

Saying that, I have ZERO doubts or worry about AC Unity and I pre-ordered it once I saw the E3 videos of it. It's going back to the roots of AC.

The only thing I'm curious about is how they will do the "Current Day" game play.

Nothing truly new and good has yet come out in 2014 lol.

Sushiglutton
08-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I mean yes and no. A lot of things sound and look (from what we have seen) great (like mssion structure, Paris, interiors, the love story, revamped parkour etc). At the same time this is AC, so I'm always worried lol.

I'm worried about AI, that there's some annoying HUD stuff that can't be turned off, that the open world content will feel like a grind, that there will be a bunch of low quality copy-paste content, that combat won't be exciting etc etc.

My hope for every AC is that it will be the best thus far. AC4 did it, I hope Unity can as well, even though I'm sure there will be a bunch of flaws (there are in every game ofc)!

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
i mean yes and no. A lot of things sound and look (from what we have seen) great (like mssion structure, paris, interiors, the love story, revamped parkour etc). At the same time this is ac, so i'm always worried lol.

I'm worried about ai, that there's some annoying hud stuff that can't be turned off, that the open world content will feel like a grind, that there will be a bunch of low quality copy-paste content, that combat won't be exciting etc etc.

My hope for every ac is that it will be the best thus far. Ac4 did it, i hope unity can as well, even though i'm sure there will be a bunch of flaws (there are in every game ofc)!

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

FrankieSatt
08-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Nothing truly new and good has yet come out in 2014 lol.

I'll admit that so far 2014 has been very slow in the release of decent games, but I'll put Watchdogs up against all the games released this year, including AC Unity, and I'm sure it would be a top 5 game.

Actually, I've got 4 games that I've pre-ordered and are coming out within the next 3 months. The end of 2014 will be much better than the beginning.

Darkljolly
08-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Yes we did see how Watch Dogs turned out, great.

And we will see how Unity turns out, great.

Gotta reassure that purchase

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Its all right, I understand some just can't handle the truth.

Sushiglutton
08-18-2014, 09:35 PM

You know it :cool:

Shahkulu101
08-18-2014, 09:41 PM

I loved Watch Dogs and poured 60+ hours into that game, so don't go telling me I have to reassure anything. It was a superbly designed game with an exceptionally fun new core mechanic in the hacking.

Just about every mission was open-ended, with multiple approaches and hacking opportunities. But the reviewers claimed that hacking wasn't at the forefront because they decided to shoot everything without paying attention to the mission design. I guess that's what happens when people develop a game that requires the player to think and act for themselves, rather than linear slog fests like GTAV. That being said, the story was crap - and the open world wasn't the most fun place around. Didn't really care though. The sheer amount of fun hacky stealth was enough to satisfy me. And satisfy me greatly.

D.I.D.
08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm on my fourth run of Watch Dogs. Story/characters aren't great, and nor is the writing, but the gameplay and design is superb, especially if you eschew guns and look at every set piece as a stealth puzzle.

I've seen all kinds of complaints about the supposed disappointments of Watch Dogs. The main one is the "so-called hacking is just on one button". I've asked people to imagine what it would be like to have to go through some minigame every single time you hacked anything, and they don't have an answer to that. PC players complain about the intermittent chugging, and I'm sure it could have been coded better or more efficiently, but all you have to do is use the recommended settings (or NVidia Experience's optimal settings, if you've got a GeForce card), and there are no problems and it still looks great. I swear half the grizzling about the PC version was down to people refusing to turn down the setting they believe they should be able to run, as though every game's "high" or "ultra" were equivalent.

If Unity provides as much fun and variety as Watch Dogs, I'll be perfectly happy.

D.I.D.
08-18-2014, 09:47 PM

It's pretty funny for an Assassin's Creed fan to say that. You presumably, like I did, sat through the insulting tedium of Revelations and the tangibly time-pressured ACIII, and still came back for more. To be an Assassin's Creed fan is to be incredibly charitable and forgiving. This series has got by without providing much challenge at all until Black Flag, and even then there's little chance of any player being prevented from reaching the end. If you were really so exacting, you wouldn't be here at all.

Jexx21
08-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Watch Dogs was a fun game. I can't wait to return to it when I finally get a PC that can run it on the highest settings (or close to it).

Darkljolly
08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
It's pretty funny for an Assassin's Creed fan to say that. You presumably, like I did, sat through the insulting tedium of Revelations and the tangibly time-pressured ACIII, and still came back for more. To be an Assassin's Creed fan is to be incredibly charitable and forgiving. This series has got by without providing much challenge at all until Black Flag, and even then there's little chance of any player being prevented from reaching the end. If you were really so exacting, you wouldn't be here at all.

I acutally gave up on the AC series after Brotherhood. until IV. Ironically the game thats least an assassin game was the one that bought me back into the series

Perhaps Watch Dogs 2 will be a significant leap like AC2 was for AC 1

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 10:29 PM

I agree ;P cause 4 was all the flaws with 3 buried under a relatively lousily made "exploration" and a decently improved but repetitive and simple naval combat.

The only reason the thing sold well is because it capitalized on the fact that people were aching for a good pirate themed anything after Risen 2 flopped harder than a lvl 1 Magikarp with 0 IV's.

Das right, I said it.

You wanna go punk? You think you can take dis?

LotesDeOro
08-19-2014, 01:48 AM
I saw nothing that was promised for Watch Dogs that wasn't delivered (maybe besides the graphics) so no, I'm not worried.

Remember to take the things they say with a grain of salt. Living, breathing world? Can be defined as just people walking around a city.

GoldenBoy9999
08-19-2014, 01:54 AM
Nope, I'm not worried. I trust Amancio as a developer and their major points for Unity are refinements rather than a brand new concept like Watch Dogs was.

Darkljolly
08-19-2014, 02:23 AM
I agree ;P cause 4 was all the flaws with 3 buried under a relatively lousily made "exploration" and a decently improved but repetitive and simple naval combat.

The only reason the thing sold well is because it capitalized on the fact that people were aching for a good pirate themed anything after Risen 2 flopped harder than a lvl 1 Magikarp with 0 IV's.

Das right, I said it.

You wanna go punk? You think you can take dis?

In an alternate dimension, everything you just said was true, but not in this one sadly. ;)

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 02:49 AM
In an alternate dimension, everything you just said was true, but not in this one sadly. ;)

Oh so you do wanna start with me?

Here we go.

Name me all the advancements to the combat system? Oh you can't because it's the exact same combat system with no fixes whatsoever. Name me all the improvements to AC3's lousy stealth? None besides AC4's at least being functional.

They improved absolutely nothing on the main game cause they thought they could get away with it and mostly did too. They just refined naval combat a bit and spit it out into the stores.

They did nothing but refine the naval and add some poor exploration and it IS poor. I didn't know that jungles were hallways with only a few branching paths. AC4 apparently took lessons from FF13 on how to make a forest into a hallway. The coves are very similar in looks, most of the islands you pass while sailing have nothing of use unless you simply MUST have that leopard suit for Edward, once you've upgraded your armor there is absolutely no incentive to explore smaller islands without mayan stones or anything of the sort.

Personally I picked up the bottles but ignored the fragments and treasure chests, they're made obsolete by treasure hunts and diving which yield infinitely more profitable results.

The only opinion I added was It was still repetitive but that can be argued objectively as well, to get supplies you need to board ships, to board ships you need to do the same few tasks over and over and over ad nauseam.

Hell I won all the fights by speeding up, getting behind them, ramming them, then turning to the side and letting them taste my broadside.

People seriously must be high off the Pirate BS cause the actual assassin part of the game is the same as 3 with the most minor improvements... improvements mind you that wouldn't have been needed if 3 didn't ruin them in the first place.

That is, stealth that is at least functional and climbing that at least makes you change the direction of the stick once in a while so it doesn't feel ridiculously automated.

Sorry dude but AC4 has some serious flaws and I can tell you that it's most certainly not just opinion that the islands are basically hallways rather than organic jungles. They made the most closed open world they could, covering that up by allowing you to sail large, blank stretches of ocean.

AC4 just demonstrates the biggest problem with every game since 2. Adding too many features that end up all being more shallow and repetitive as a result. The ONLY thing that doesn't get repetitive in the game is assassination contracts and that's because there's a lot of them.

Everything else quickly gets way too samey, stealing from plantations, stealing from ships, the ship combat itself, and nearly everything.

It WOULD have been great if they made more effort to refine the original core of the game but they didn't and thus what we're left with is a cool but ultimately repetitive experience.

Jexx21
08-19-2014, 04:27 AM
sesh, some people think AC3 and AC4's mechanics were great improvements upon the AC system, it's just that most of AC3's missions suck.

i'm not really going to try and argue with you about it because quite frankly I don't think either of us are going to change each other's opinions, and I'm alright with you not liking AC3 or AC4's systems

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 04:30 AM
sesh, some people think AC3 and AC4's mechanics were great improvements upon the AC system, it's just that most of AC3's missions suck.

i'm not really going to try and argue with you about it because quite frankly I don't think either of us are going to change each other's opinions, and I'm alright with you not liking AC3 or AC4's systems

All I was trying to say is basically that 4 doesn't do much to advance the core game. I mean, it pretty much adds nothing. Naturally if you like 3 you'll like 4 but I personally didn't like 3 and 4 is pretty close to 3 imo.

Jexx21
08-19-2014, 04:41 AM
All I was trying to say is basically that 4 doesn't do much to advance the core game. I mean, it pretty much adds nothing. Naturally if you like 3 you'll like 4 but I personally didn't like 3 and 4 is pretty close to 3 imo.

Yea, 4 doesn't add much to the base mechanics.

but 4 did use those mechanics in better ways than 3 did.

hopefully you'll like Unity's mechanics. Rogue will be the same as 3 and 4.

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Yea, 4 doesn't add much to the base mechanics.

but 4 did use those mechanics in better ways than 3 did.

hopefully you'll like Unity's mechanics. Rogue will be the same as 3 and 4.

I can agree the mechanics are better used.

It seems like Unity is my dream AC but since imo 3 and 4 were pretty bad for me I'm just being cautious. I expected a LOT out of AC4 probably too much and it cost me some enjoyement of the game, I don't want that to happen again.

Regardless I'll still come on here and criticize it if they fail to live up but at least I won't hate it lol.

Fatal-Feit
08-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Name me all the advancements to the combat system? Oh you can't because it's the exact same combat system with no fixes whatsoever. Name me all the improvements to AC3's lousy stealth? None besides AC4's at least being functional.

AC:IV's combat wasn't an improvement over AC:3, in fact it was simplified, but it was better for stealth and naval. Battles didn't last more than 3-5 minutes, and getting spotted didn't cause several other soldiers to telekinetically come after you, thus making being spotted during a stealth a short phase instead of a doomed mission. Also, AC:3's more advanced combat wouldn't work during naval raids.

As for the improvements, here

1. Better AI. No telekinetically soldiers.
2. AI respond better to whispers. If you accidentally press B, they will look around first before just walking to your location.
3. Better social stealth. While crowds were downgraded, blending was still more viable.
4. New hiding zones.
5. Darts. <--- Nuff said.
6. Improved locations for better stealth. The placement of guards, and the location structure/designs were the best we've had for viable stealth.
7. Bushes
8. If the AI's meter is still on yellow or red, you can still hide and ambush them.
9. Courtesans for blending, and pirates for distractions.
10. Quicker assassination animations. Choking them don't take 3 seconds, and cause you move 2 feet away from your location.

They improved absolutely nothing on the main game cause they thought they could get away with it and mostly did too. They just refined naval combat a bit and spit it out into the stores.

The drastically improved social stealth, exploration, seamlessness, story design/pacing, optional objectives, freedom to the players, and yes, naval.

They did nothing but refine the naval and add some poor exploration and it IS poor. I didn't know that jungles were hallways with only a few branching paths. AC4 apparently took lessons from FF13 on how to make a forest into a hallway. The coves are very similar in looks, most of the islands you pass while sailing have nothing of use unless you simply MUST have that leopard suit for Edward, once you've upgraded your armor there is absolutely no incentive to explore smaller islands without mayan stones or anything of the sort.

Jungles were fine. They're suppose to be a more open-ended and stealth approach to tombs. --Which they were. You had plenty of alternate paths to take during missions like Julius Du Casse. And no action or chase sequences, whatsoever. That's a HUGE improvement since AC:2's linear sequence designs.

You had collectibles, bottles, chests, missions, pubs, and the sake of enjoying the scenery. Even if you weren't attracted to those incentives or the setting, it was a was still better than what we had before. Caves and islands offered more diversity and opportunity than we ever had in any past AC title. Let alone the constant STEALTH viability in caves, missions, underwater exploration, etc.

Personally I picked up the bottles but ignored the fragments and treasure chests, they're made obsolete by treasure hunts and diving which yield infinitely more profitable results.

That's subjective. I still did them all, and was broke. You said you don't 100% everything, IIRC. Well, trying to 100% everything like maximizing The Great Inagua will cost you an arm and a leg.

The only opinion I added was It was still repetitive but that can be argued objectively as well, to get supplies you need to board ships, to board ships you need to do the same few tasks over and over and over ad nauseam.

All the AC were designed to be repetitive. Brotherhood and Revelations, especially when it comes to side content.

People seriously must be high off the Pirate BS cause the actual assassin part of the game is the same as 3 with the most minor improvements... improvements mind you that wouldn't have been needed if 3 didn't ruin them in the first place.

The assassin part of the game is best assassin part we've ever had since AC:1.

That is, stealth that is at least functional and climbing that at least makes you change the direction of the stick once in a while so it doesn't feel ridiculously automated.

Climbing is the exact same as AC:3, and just as automated. The difference is, AC:IV utilized it better. There's no difference in terms of control.

Sorry dude but AC4 has some serious flaws and I can tell you that it's most certainly not just opinion that the islands are basically hallways rather than organic jungles. They made the most closed open world they could, covering that up by allowing you to sail large, blank stretches of ocean.

Only they didn't.

AC4 just demonstrates the biggest problem with every game since 2. Adding too many features that end up all being more shallow and repetitive as a result. The ONLY thing that doesn't get repetitive in the game is assassination contracts and that's because there's a lot of them.

That's content for you. Albeit, 1 and 2 should be included as well. Don't give me that AC:1 or AC:2 wasn't repetitive BS. Repetitive have always been the yang to Assassin's Creed yin.

Everything else quickly gets way too samey, stealing from plantations, stealing from ships, the ship combat itself, and nearly everything.

That's subjective. And AC:IV, at the very least, offered the most variety. Let's be real, AC:IV still had the best side content in the franchise.

It WOULD have been great if they made more effort to refine the original core of the game but they didn't and thus what we're left with is a cool but ultimately repetitive experience.

Say wot m8? AC:IV is the second in the series to introduce real stealth, freedom in missions, and make it viable. Not AC:2, not AC:B, not AC:R, not AC:3, but AC:IV. Like my Julius du casse example, you could go through the entire mission with stealth, and no forced combat/chase sequence. Albeit, AC:IV had a few because of naval and that one Blackbeard mission, but the other 80% of the game was in reminiscence of AC:1. All other Assassin's Creed were in the %40-50s. --And those were by adding side content.

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 06:32 AM
AC:IV's combat wasn't an improvement over AC:3, in fact it was simplified, but it was better for stealth and naval. Battles didn't last more than 3-5 minutes, and getting spotted didn't cause several other soldiers to telekinetically come after you, thus making being spotted during a stealth a short phase instead of a doomed mission. Also, AC:3's more advanced combat wouldn't work during naval raids.

As for the improvements, here

1. Better AI. No telekinetically soldiers.
2. AI respond better to whispers. If you accidentally press B, they will look around first before just walking to your location.
3. Better social stealth. While crowds were downgraded, blending was still more viable.
4. New hiding zones.
5. Darts. <--- Nuff said.
6. Improved locations for better stealth. The placement of guards, and the location structure/designs were the best we've had for viable stealth.
7. Bushes
8. If the AI's meter is still on yellow or red, you can still hide and ambush them.
9. Courtesans for blending, and pirates for distractions.
10. Quicker assassination animations. Choking them don't take 3 seconds, and cause you move 2 feet away from your location.

1-3 Shouldn't have been problems to begin with, I won't applaud them for fixing what they shouldn't have broken.

4 -> Yeah but they work the same as ever, it would have been no different if they just put another bush.

5 -> You mean those darts that work exactly like poison darts? Sleep darts only exist so you can use them instead on missions where you don't want to kill your targets.

6 -> Meh, it still amounts to running across bushes when the npc has their back turned.

7 -> Bushes were introduced in 3.

8 -> Meh, better quality AI would be better.

9 -> Again I won't applaud them for replacing features that do the same things as other features and were removed for no reason in the first place.

10 -> It had it's share of combat and animation glitches.

The drastically improved social stealth, exploration, seamlessness, story design/pacing, optional objectives, freedom to the players, and yes, naval.

Social stealth I found I hardly used, I didn't need it. There was never enough people to make it viable. Exploration was meh, at least 20-30% of the islands have nothing of note unless you MUST have 100% which almost nobody does. Seamlessness is nice but it's a technical feature it doesn't make the game itself better quality. Story design/pacing, It's okay, none of it was anything to write home about, although definitely an improvement from 3. Optional objectives were only improved in 4 cause they were broken in 3, as I said, no applause for fixing what should have never been broken. Freedom, eh... still plenty of instant fail missions and optional objectives that slap you a nasty 50 for doing it wrong. Naval was improved as I said but I still found it repetitive and simplistic.

Jungles were fine. They're suppose to be a more open-ended and stealth approach to tombs. --Which they were. You had plenty of alternate paths to take during missions like Julius Du Casse. And no action or chase sequences, whatsoever. That's a HUGE improvement since AC:2's linear sequence designs.

That's not how jungles work, they closed off a jungle into paths in an open world game. Quite frankly it's a sin. The sequences were better though I'll give you that.

You had collectibles, bottles, chests, missions, pubs, and the sake of enjoying the scenery. Even if you weren't attracted to those incentives or the setting, it was a was still better than what we had before. Caves and islands offered more diversity and opportunity than we ever had in any past AC title. Let alone the constant STEALTH viability in caves, missions, underwater exploration, etc.

Bottles and treasure maps are what most people will stop for, the former because it adds to the story and the latter because it offers the quickest and most efficient cash flow. Caves were pretty similar, go here, wipe out some guards, grab treasure, jump back to ship. Islands were, stop and hunt, stop and get a view point, get mayan stone, get map, etc. etc. Imo it didn't feel that diverse to me. It felt pretty samey a few hours in.

That's subjective. I still did them all, and was broke. You said you don't 100% everything, IIRC. Well, trying to 100% everything like maximizing The Great Inagua will cost you an arm and a leg.

I didn't bother with Inagua, it's inefficient to use money on it during the campaign, I used it all on my ship. I always take the most efficient path, there was no great reward in Inagua for shoveling in coins so there was no point in doing it really. It's side content at least tried to be more like tombs level of fun but unfortunately much of it didn't have the unique flare the tombs had.

All the AC were designed to be repetitive. Brotherhood and Revelations, especially when it comes to side content.

I've been complaining about it forever.

The assassin part of the game is best assassin part we've ever had since AC:1.

I disagree, combat was at an all time low, super dull and simplistic, parkour was actually less viable than in 3 most of the time, and stealth was okay, it was functional at least.

Climbing is the exact same as AC:3, and just as automated. The difference is, AC:IV utilized it better. There's no difference in terms of control.

Except in AC3 I can close my eyes and hold up on the stick and get to my destination while in 4 often times you at LEAST need to maneuver to the side. It's still terrible but a touch better than 3.

Only they didn't.

When I look at Skyrim and then look at AC4 the ONLY thing more open about AC4 is less seams, otherwise it's just a giant empty ocean where you dock at different little maps. So yeah sorry, gonna have to disagree, their world isn't at the quality of the open world champs yet. As a result it feels a lot more closed with it's tiny areas that are restricted further into sandy/grassy hallways.

That's content for you. Albeit, 1 and 2 should be included as well. Don't give me that AC:1 or AC:2 wasn't repetitive BS. Repetitive have always been the yang to Assassin's Creed yin.

I'm talking specifically about side content here, AC4's at least was more menaingful but no less repetitive and thus that's a problem for me. It doesn't matter that it's always been, the point is it needs to change, it's needed to change for ages.

That's subjective. And AC:IV, at the very least, offered the most variety. Let's be real, AC:IV still had the best side content in the franchise.

It wasn't all better though, some of it is only worth it because of the rewards. Coves for example get repetitive after the first one... It's the exact same routine, take out guards with no resistance stealthily, grab treasure, return to ship, rinse and repeat till your hair falls out from too much rinsing and repeating.

Basically they're tombs without the unique visuals and parkour puzzles.

Treasure hunts and diving make any other treasures worthless for the thing that most players will upgrade, the ship. The rest of it is of no use unless you want to 100% which not many do.

The assassin contracts can be enjoyable but that;s it imo, everything else is forgettable.

Say wot m8? AC:IV is the second in the series to introduce real stealth, freedom in missions, and make it viable. Not AC:2, not AC:B, not AC:R, not AC:3, but AC:IV. Like my Julius du casse example, you could go through the entire mission with stealth, and no forced combat/chase sequence. Albeit, AC:IV had a few because of naval and that one Blackbeard mission, but the other 80% of the game was in reminiscence of AC:1. All other Assassin's Creed were in the %40-50s. --And those were by adding side content.

Oh yes real stealth by running into bushes when guys have their backs turned. The "freedom" they took away in the first place from previous games. I won't applaud them for adding back things they should have left alone in the first place as I already said.

As I said all it does is fix everything the last games took away it does nothing to actually improve, it just strips away the mistakes they've been making, SOME of them at least and then called it a day.

Assassin_M
08-19-2014, 06:58 AM
AC IV is a better designed AC III and Watch Dogs was great.

No, i'm not worried but i'm not completely sold either.

Darkljolly
08-19-2014, 07:21 AM
I don't know whats bigger Sesh dislike of AC 3 and AC 4

or Assassins_M dislike of Ezio and AC2 xD

I'm curios AS_M whats your favourite Ac in the series?

Fatal-Feit
08-19-2014, 07:31 AM
1-3 Shouldn't have been problems to begin with, I won't applaud them for fixing what they shouldn't have broken.

4 -> Yeah but they work the same as ever, it would have been no different if they just put another bush.

5 -> You mean those darts that work exactly like poison darts? Sleep darts only exist so you can use them instead on missions where you don't want to kill your targets.

6 -> Meh, it still amounts to running across bushes when the npc has their back turned.

7 -> Bushes were introduced in 3.

8 -> Meh, better quality AI would be better.

9 -> Again I won't applaud them for replacing features that do the same things as other features and were removed for no reason in the first place.

10 -> It had it's share of combat and animation glitches.

4. They look more genuine this time around. You'd have to be blind to not see Connor in those transparent bushes.

5. Sleep darts work to stun guards so they don't spot you. It's very, very viable. If you use berserk darts, you'd only attract more guards, or get into combat.

6. Take away the bushes, and it's still the best. ei: caves

7. I know that, but there are better utilized and frequent in this one. Bushes weren't very viable in AC:3, except for those scripted sequences. Bushes are definitely a plus in AC:IV.

8. This is the sweet spot. AIs in the the Ezio Trilogy were too dumb. The AIs in AC:3 were too smart. Hurray for Unity's revamp.

9. It's a re-skin, yeah, but they work a little better than before. Especially the courtesans. I hated how your character would tilt his shoulder when he's surrounded in the past. Or couldn't walk faster because the AI was too slow in front.

10. The rag-doll physics sucked, yeah. It was still an improvement over AC:3's glitchy ones, though. And it still sucks in Unity from the gameplay we've seen.

Social stealth I found I hardly used, I didn't need it. There was never enough people to make it viable. Exploration was meh, at least 20-30% of the islands have nothing of note unless you MUST have 100% which almost nobody does. Seamlessness is nice but it's a technical feature it doesn't make the game itself better quality. Story design/pacing, It's okay, none of it was anything to write home about, although definitely an improvement from 3. Optional objectives were only improved in 4 cause they were broken in 3, as I said, no applause for fixing what should have never been broken. Freedom, eh... still plenty of instant fail missions and optional objectives that slap you a nasty 50 for doing it wrong. Naval was improved as I said but I still found it repetitive and simplistic.

You used plenty of social stealth during those eavesdrops, that's for sure. :rolleyes: I can name plenty of missions where you needed social stealth.

I'm not going to regard the others since they're your opinions. Except for freedom. 80% of the game gave players freedom, and that's still a deserving bonus.

That's not how jungles work, they closed off a jungle into paths in an open world game. Quite frankly it's a sin. The sequences were better though I'll give you that.

I was expecting more from jungles, like you have, but they had worked really well in a game about stealth. I couldn't complain.

Bottles and treasure maps are what most people will stop for, the former because it adds to the story and the latter because it offers the quickest and most efficient cash flow. Caves were pretty similar, go here, wipe out some guards, grab treasure, jump back to ship. Islands were, stop and hunt, stop and get a view point, get mayan stone, get map, etc. etc. Imo it didn't feel that diverse to me. It felt pretty samey a few hours in.

Still the best the series have had. They sound boring on paper, but they were still good and diverse. Bored or caves? Go gun's blazing. Tired of taking down ships? Take down a fort. Tired of landmarks and islands? Use a diving bell and explore the ocean. All of those examples changes the gameplay, and how you approach them.

I didn't bother with Inagua, it's inefficient to use money on it during the campaign, I used it all on my ship. I always take the most efficient path, there was no great reward in Inagua for shoveling in coins so there was no point in doing it really. It's side content at least tried to be more like tombs level of fun but unfortunately much of it didn't have the unique flare the tombs had.

That's subjective. I thought tombs were linear and bad for the series. There was no puzzle or stealth, only the occasional timed missions. And they choked full of chases and combat sequences, especially in Brotherhood. If they had stealth, that'd be redeeming, IMO.

I disagree, combat was at an all time low, super dull and simplistic, parkour was actually less viable than in 3 most of the time, and stealth was okay, it was functional at least.

Combat's subjective. I thought it was much better than AC:2 and AC:B's at the very least.

Parkour is more viable than AC:3's. Cities redesigns like Havana and Kingston made traversing a lot easier. Parkouring through jungles were a lot more efficient than AC:3's frontiers.

Except in AC3 I can close my eyes and hold up on the stick and get to my destination while in 4 often times you at LEAST need to maneuver to the side. It's still terrible but a touch better than 3.

No... If you made Connor run from the manor to the frontiers, and Edward run from his ship to the campsite in Kingston, Edward would reach there first. You can do the same with Connor from Boston's harbor to the left fort, and Edward from Havan's port to Torres' mansion and Edward will still win.

AC:IV's locations were designed for more leisurable parkouring compared to AC:3's. Just look at the buildings.

When I look at Skyrim and then look at AC4 the ONLY thing more open about AC4 is less seams, otherwise it's just a giant empty ocean where you dock at different little maps. So yeah sorry, gonna have to disagree, their world isn't at the quality of the open world champs yet. As a result it feels a lot more closed with it's tiny areas that are restricted further into sandy/grassy hallways.

We're comparing the series, not other games. AC, in general, is filled with tonnes of flaws if you compare them to other games.

I'm talking specifically about side content here, AC4's at least was more menaingful but no less repetitive and thus that's a problem for me. It doesn't matter that it's always been, the point is it needs to change, it's needed to change for ages.

I couldn't agree more.

It wasn't all better though, some of it is only worth it because of the rewards. Coves for example get repetitive after the first one... It's the exact same routine, take out guards with no resistance stealthily, grab treasure, return to ship, rinse and repeat till your hair falls out from too much rinsing and repeating.

Mix them up, change your plans. Like I said, go gun's blazing instead of stealth. Or try to steal everything without killing anyone.

And I disagree, a lot of the coves weren't the same. Each of them offered a different setup. Some of them mixes up underwater diving and hiding from sharks as well. I found them to be very diverse.

Basically they're tombs without the unique visuals and parkour puzzles.

They're tombs with stealth that should have been there.

Treasure hunts and diving make any other treasures worthless for the thing that most players will upgrade, the ship. The rest of it is of no use unless you want to 100% which not many do.

It's all about options and choices. If you make your game linear, then it will be linear. When I play AC:IV, I spice things up if I find something boring or repetitive. Sometimes I try to be stealthy when taking over a fort.

And compare all these activities and collectibles to other past ACs. I've been replaying the older games again, and I find AC:IV to be the most diverse and non-repetitive. Take out the collectibles, and AC:IV still rewards you with caves, jungles, underwater explorations, and islands in comparison to the few tombs. Tombs are actually more repetitive in the long run. There's no freedom, and only one path. They're exciting the first time, but they get dull the second time. At least coves offer you replayability

Oh yes real stealth by running into bushes when guys have their backs turned. The "freedom" they took away in the first place from previous games. I won't applaud them for adding back things they should have left alone in the first place as I already said.

Bushes aren't the only stealthy method. lul

Anyway, you don't have to. It's dumb that after 5-6 games, they finally get it.

As I said all it does is fix everything the last games took away it does nothing to actually improve, it just strips away the mistakes they've been making, SOME of them at least and then called it a day.

You're getting confused by your own words. Bringing back features doesn't mean they didn't refine or tuned something. They didn't just bring back stealth, they improved it. AC:IV's AIs were much better than AC:1's. Etc, etc, etc.

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
4. They look more genuine this time around. You'd have to be blind to not see Connor in those transparent bushes.

5. Sleep darts work to stun guards so they don't spot you. It's very, very viable. If you use berserk darts, you'd only attract more guards, or get into combat.

6. Take away the bushes, and it's still the best. ei: caves

7. I know that, but there are better utilized and frequent in this one. Bushes weren't very viable in AC:3, except for those scripted sequences. Bushes are definitely a plus in AC:IV.

8. This is the sweet spot. AIs in the the Ezio Trilogy were too dumb. The AIs in AC:3 were too smart. Hurray for Unity's revamp.

9. It's a re-skin, yeah, but they work a little better than before. Especially the courtesans. I hated how your character would tilt his shoulder when he's surrounded in the past. Or couldn't walk faster because the AI was too slow in front.

10. The rag-doll physics sucked, yeah. It was still an improvement over AC:3's glitchy ones, though. And it still sucks in Unity from the gameplay we've seen.

4 - A very minor aesthetic adjustment.

5 - I took out an entire plantation with berserker darts while hiding in the bushes. Especially by shooting the men on the towers who when they die cause others to go up, who I shoot, who then fall and the process continues.

6 - Best doesn't mean good though.

7 - Only cause you're on fertile islands in AC4

8 - Indeed

9 - They work better but it simply should have been that way in the beginning lol, I hated the shoulder thing too.

You used plenty of social stealth during those eavesdrops, that's for sure. :rolleyes: I can name plenty of missions where you needed social stealth.

I'm not going to regard the others since they're your opinions. Except for freedom. 80% of the game gave players freedom, and that's still a deserving bonus.

Ugh cause you basically have to. I hated those dull missions.

I was expecting more from jungles, like you have, but they had worked really well in a game about stealth. I couldn't complain.

I can, will, and am complaining ;P

Still the best the series have had. They sound boring on paper, but they were still good and diverse. Bored or caves? Go gun's blazing. Tired of taking down ships? Take down a fort. Tired of landmarks and islands? Use a diving bell and explore the ocean. All of those examples changes the gameplay, and how you approach them.

And when you've done them all? Then what? Guns blazing in AC is dull because the combat is mindless. Forts were easy too, the ocean was merely an endurance test, dodge the pesky sharks while burst swimming to algae.

That's subjective. I thought tombs were linear and bad for the series. There was no puzzle or stealth, only the occasional timed missions. And they choked full of chases and combat sequences, especially in Brotherhood. If they had stealth, that'd be redeeming, IMO.

It's subjective but only just. In tombs we have a wildly varying aesthetic, coves are all brown caves with green water and thugs.

Combat's subjective. I thought it was much better than AC:2 and AC:B's at the very least.

I feel Revelations had better combat.

Parkour is more viable than AC:3's. Cities redesigns like Havana and Kingston made traversing a lot easier. Parkouring through jungles were a lot more efficient than AC:3's frontiers.

Yeah the few times you need to visit those miniscule cities and happen to be in the areas that aren't full of plants rather than buildings.

No... If you made Connor run from the manor to the frontiers, and Edward run from his ship to the campsite in Kingston, Edward would reach there first. You can do the same with Connor from Boston's harbor to the left fort, and Edward from Havan's port to Torres' mansion and Edward will still win.

I don't know what this is supposed to prove, if I take Edward up the first tower in havanah and take Haytham up the first tower in AC3, Edward will need to be moved in more than one direction, I can just hold up and Haytham will reach the top on the other hand.

AC:IV's locations were designed for more leisurable parkouring compared to AC:3's. Just look at the buildings

The few buildings that were present.

We're comparing the series, not other games. AC, in general, is filled with tonnes of flaws if you compare them to other games.

If it wants to compete with open world games then it better be ready to take criticism for its failures compared to other open world games.

Mix them up, change your plans. Like I said, go gun's blazing instead of stealth. Or try to steal everything without killing anyone.

Ugh, that's like people who replay FF1 while placing pointless restrictions on them to eke out fun that is no longer present and add challenge to what lacks challenge. I do those kinds of things automatically btw, for example in AC1 I only ever use the hidden blade and counters once I get them as well as throwing knives. So I've already done these self restrictions by the time I've tried all the content.

And I disagree, a lot of the coves weren't the same. Each of them offered a different setup. Some of them mixes up underwater diving and hiding from sharks as well. I found them to be very diverse.

They were okay but it was too easy and the aesthetic was the same for all of them.

They're tombs with stealth that should have been there.

That lack varied aesthetics, one step forward and another back and here we are again.

It's all about options and choices. If you make your game linear, then it will be linear. When I play AC:IV, I spice things up if I find something boring or repetitive. Sometimes I try to be stealthy when taking over a fort.

I shouldn't have to rely on myself for a game to be fun, I should just pick it up and enjoy it. Immediately. If I have to force myself to play a certain way to make your game fresh you're doing it wrong.

And compare all these activities and collectibles to other past ACs. I've been replaying the older games again, and I find AC:IV to be the most diverse and non-repetitive. Take out the collectibles, and AC:IV still rewards you with caves, jungles, underwater explorations, and islands in comparison to the few tombs. Tombs are actually more repetitive in the long run. There's no freedom, and only one path. They're exciting the first time, but they get dull the second time. At least coves offer you replayability

Caves end up similar, jungles are rooms and hallways (inexcusable) underwater exploration is cool but can be tedious, Islands rarely have anything worth stopping for again unless you must have 100% completion which is rare for most people.

Actually in Tombs I've found secret areas when replaying them and got a bit of extra cash for it in AC2, ACB is a bit more linear and ACR's DO contain stealth already. ACB had Borgia towers which are essentially identical to coves.

Bushes aren't the only stealthy method. lul

No but they're the most common and there's some missions which practically force you into them.

You're getting confused by your own words. Bringing back features doesn't mean they didn't refine or tuned something. They didn't just bring back stealth, they improved it. AC:IV's AIs were much better than AC:1's. Etc, etc, etc.

No I'm not, the main killing point for 4 is that it's just a very slightly polished 3. It brought back what was lost and fixed what 3 had broken, AC3 AI works fine after the patch in fact so now AC4 didn't really fix much at all.

The AI are as foolish as ever imo, you can still go right behind them runn full speed and successfully kill them, you can still run directly behind them and hide in a bush without worrying about detection. They're really not much better than AC3 after its been patched.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Gonna crash now btw ;P we'll finish this later Alpaca!

You guys are good for my brain and bad for my sleeping cycle Q~Q

Fatal-Feit
08-19-2014, 12:54 PM
4 - A very minor aesthetic adjustment.

5 - I took out an entire plantation with berserker darts while hiding in the bushes. Especially by shooting the men on the towers who when they die cause others to go up, who I shoot, who then fall and the process continues.

6 - Best doesn't mean good though.

7 - Only cause you're on fertile islands in AC4

8 - Indeed

9 - They work better but it simply should have been that way in the beginning lol, I hated the shoulder thing too.

4 - The drastic upgrade in graphics wasn't minor, IMO.

5 - lel

6 - Of course not. AC have never had good stealth.

9 - I think with AC:3, they were experimenting with the new upgrades to the brotherhood system, (which I absolutely loved) but it just didn't come equipped with a good tutorial and most people forgot about its many features due to piss poor pacing. With AC:IV, they sort of just scrapped it and brought back the old system, which I thought was pretty disappointing.

And when you've done them all? Then what? Guns blazing in AC is dull because the combat is mindless. Forts were easy too, the ocean was merely an endurance test, dodge the pesky sharks while burst swimming to algae.

Just like any other open-world game, you move on or MP. AC have never had that kind RDR content where the game kept you occupied with random encounters and missions. --Well, except for AC:R's den defense but that had bad results.

But to be fair, AC:IV at least still gave players plantations to raid after they've 100% the game. I also enjoyed replaying Freedom Cry to free slaves from plantations and smuggling ships.

It's subjective but only just. In tombs we have a wildly varying aesthetic, coves are all brown caves with green water and thugs.

Coves offered more than parkouring terrains. But as you said, it's subjective.

I feel Revelations had better combat.

It was. Revelations had one one of the best combat in the series. It would be the best if it didn't have auto-chain and balanced the ammo, IMO.

I don't know what this is supposed to prove, if I take Edward up the first tower in havanah and take Haytham up the first tower in AC3, Edward will need to be moved in more than one direction, I can just hold up and Haytham will reach the top on the other hand.

Try making Connor free-run in the frontiers with blindfolds on. See if you don't get stuck at a rock or tree. Or try climbing one of those view-point trees. And the landmarks in AC:3 are just as easy as AC:IV's, if not easier due to being shorter. I don't see where this moving in more than one direction is coming from. That's something that's present in both games.

[edit] I just did some testing. There's no difference. Same parkour, same buttons, same mechanics. The only difference are the buildings' scaling.

Ugh, that's like people who replay FF1 while placing pointless restrictions on them to eke out fun that is no longer present and add challenge to what lacks challenge. I do those kinds of things automatically btw, for example in AC1 I only ever use the hidden blade and counters once I get them as well as throwing knives. So I've already done these self restrictions by the time I've tried all the content.

All I'm saying is, there's more dynamics to these than you are making them out to be.

They were okay but it was too easy and the aesthetic was the same for all of them.

Aesthetically, of course. But mission designs/structures, definitely not. How they needed to be tackled were different.

That lack varied aesthetics, one step forward and another back and here we are again.

Aesthetics are subjective. I enjoyed the change in aesthetics in AC:IV. Actually, now that I think about it, AC:IV changes its own setting the most, as well. You go from exploring islands, to cities, to caves, to the endless ocean, to the undersea.

I shouldn't have to rely on myself for a game to be fun, I should just pick it up and enjoy it. Immediately. If I have to force myself to play a certain way to make your game fresh you're doing it wrong.

You're misinterpreting it. AC:IV sets itself on player freedom. You make your own choices, not the game. How you play and enjoy it is up to you. That's the motto in AC:U, as well.

Caves end up similar, jungles are rooms and hallways (inexcusable) underwater exploration is cool but can be tedious, Islands rarely have anything worth stopping for again unless you must have 100% completion which is rare for most people.

Caves weren't similar. Jungles were beautiful. Underwater exploration was also beautiful and changed the dynamics. Islands were fun to stop at and explore for recruits, chests, collectibles, and hunting. You didn't have to 100% the game to get your fill from a few islands. Animus fragments offered cheats, chests offered gold, hunting offered upgrades, and recruits themselves changes the dynamics. Sometimes they're held hostage and requires stealth while other times they're in combat and requires your support. --Stuff like that are boring? Well, that's gold for the series.

Actually in Tombs I've found secret areas when replaying them and got a bit of extra cash for it in AC2, ACB is a bit more linear and ACR's DO contain stealth already. ACB had Borgia towers which are essentially identical to coves.

Borgia Towers are the counter-parts to AC:IV's forts.

Tombs don't have secret areas. They're more linear than AC:IV's jungles.

No but they're the most common and there's some missions which practically force you into them.

But back to my point.

No I'm not, the main killing point for 4 is that it's just a very slightly polished 3. It brought back what was lost and fixed what 3 had broken, AC3 AI works fine after the patch in fact so now AC4 didn't really fix much at all.

Not slightly, it was A WHOLE LOT more polished than 3. Any problems you had were from the gameplay.

The AI are as foolish as ever imo, you can still go right behind them runn full speed and successfully kill them, you can still run directly behind them and hide in a bush without worrying about detection. They're really not much better than AC3 after its been patched.

AC:3's AIs were different. Not a good comparison, IMO.

AC:IV's AIs are more comparable to AC:2-AC:Rs. They both have bad tracking like that.

RealRonaldo09
08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Slightly worried, always am when im hyped for a new game coming out. Always been pleased with AC though so everything should be okay!! :)

aL_____eX
08-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Definitely no. I'm pretty sure this is by far going to be the best Assassin's Creed since the original AC and ACII, which were along with Black Flag the huge milestones for this franchise. From what I've seen/read/heard, it's pretty much a whole new way of AC game that was built up with Unity! And the story... If they execute Arno's and Elise's relationship well, I can see the feels... :eek:

Matt.mc
08-19-2014, 02:31 PM
I am a little worried I guess. My worries are;
1. They don't take the time to polish the game. This fear comes from basically ever AC game, especially 3 though.

2. Story isn't good, but that's just my usual worries about games because you can't show story in a demo.

3. AI. Never ever liked the system they have for AC. It never felt realistic, yes I mean in the game world not in real life.
They should really just do what Splinter Cell does, have a detection wheel that shows where the enemy is and how long you have until he sees you, then, if he nearly saw you , he goes to investigate and if the detection wheel turns red, he saw you. Simple.
I feel the detection system AC has is good for when you're in the open world but when you get into a restricted area it should go to how it is in Splinter Cell because it just doesn't make sense when the bar goes red, starts to fill up because the enemy obviously saw you yet didn't do anything about it until 5 seconds later then goes, "WAIT THERE HE IS! GET THE ASSASSINO!"
I do like however that they are taking inspiration from Splinter Cell with things like the Last Known Position, it always frustrated me when you would lose line of sight with the enemy but then all of a sudden, unless you're in a haystack or somewhere, they instantly know where you are somehow.

That's another thing I want to get onto actually, how much they're taking from Splinter Cell Blacklist. (In a good way)
First, the Last Known Position that I talked about earlier.

The economy is exactly the same, if you use stealth, you get more money than if you go in "swords" blazing.

Customization, well...I guess that would have been put in before hand but the way Amancio describes the economy and customization, it sounds exactly how Maxime Beland (Creative Director of SCB) would describe it.

PLAY YOUR WAY, this was one of the key things they talked about when selling SCB, you can play however you want and it worked! You really could! It was great. Adds to replay ability so much. I to this day still play Blacklist.

Coop too I guess you could say was "inspired" ? Probably not, but they must have seen the amount of positivity Ubisoft got for Conviction/Blacklist Coop and thought that they defs need it in AC,

:)

jayjay275
08-19-2014, 03:09 PM
"Seamlessness intensifies as hype intensifies". - The words of Alex Amancio.

Bastiaen
08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
What would be the point in worrying? I already know the game won't be perfect. It's a game. I don't expect it to be perfect. I expect that I will have a whole lot of fun with it. I love Watch_Dogs though, so I guess that because I'm not some hyper-critical entitled person and I spend more time enjoying entertainment rather than criticizing it, I'm not qualified to make that judgement.

I'm so fed up with this culture of criticism. Just have fun, people.

Matt.mc
08-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Man...I really need to get Watch Dogs huh?

Aphex_Tim
08-19-2014, 03:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9xvA8LnJw

Dome500
08-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Skeptic? Yes.
Worried? No. I don't care THAT much about a single game.

I just wait and see how it turns out.

There were signs, you know, signs that foreshadowed that AC3 would not be that much of a great game.
But seeing the gameplay and hearing Amancio talk, and having played Revelations which he also did (in less than 1 year of development time), I think it's save to say that Unity will at least be better and more free in terms of gameplay than most other AC games, with which I would already be satisfied.

bitebug2003
08-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Not worried as such - but ACIV had a huge amount of tailing and eavesdropping missions which are frankly quite boring and tedious.
I hope they listened to player feedback and limited them (The single player demo they showed had you tailing someone so ... )

Glad they ditched the competitive multiplayer which I had zero interest in.
I'm hopeful I will enjoy it -- and from what I've seen, Paris will be a fun place to explore like Italy was (I loved AC2 and AC:B)

RinoTheBouncer
08-19-2014, 06:15 PM
I am worried because according to the way the developers are describing it, especially at the Gamescom Q&A, it’s gonna be a very different formula. I have no problem with changes, but I just hope the changes won’t take away the things that made me love the franchise in the first place.

Hans684
08-19-2014, 07:08 PM
In term of story, yes a little worried. There is so much layers that it can easly go wrong.

In term of gameplay, not at all.

RinoTheBouncer
08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
In term of story, yes a little worried. There is so much layers that it can easly go wrong.

In term of gameplay, not at all.

I agree. They seem to be acing the gameplay since ACIV but the story is kind of deteriorating, especially when gameplay is being the main focus and now multiplayer being even a part of the single player story so there’s focus on sandbox missions, on co-up and I don’t know if there will be place for the story to unfold comfortably rather than in a rushed way.

Jexx21
08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
I agree. They seem to be acing the gameplay since ACIV but the story is kind of deteriorating, especially when gameplay is being the main focus and now multiplayer being even a part of the single player story so there’s focus on sandbox missions, on co-up and I don’t know if there will be place for the story to unfold comfortably rather than in a rushed way.

The co-op missions don't even take up 10 hours of the game dude.

I don't understand why you're so concerned about the story, since ACR, AC3, and AC4 have the best stories in the series, and AC4 had the best modern day section in the series as it was the one that revealed the most about the modern day and it had the best modern day story because it had a clear beginning, middle, and end. It's clear that they're still bringing things from past games and utilizing them, and the way modern day is going now is extremely promising.

aL_____eX
08-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I don't understand why you're so concerned about the story, since ACR, AC3, and AC4 have the best stories in the series
I loved the idea of ACIII, the execution was way to confusing. Awful storytelling. ACIII could have been so much more than it actually was.

*stops ACIII discussion immediately*

But you're right, story-wise Black Flag was imo the best thing that happened to the franchise, so refreshing and different. I hope they continue this development with Unity, and I'm very confident they will.

Hans684
08-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Well it's current gen so kinda have to focus on current gen gameplay and what it's capable of. Can't have a current gen AC with Black Flag gameplay. Co-op i don't mind since it's possible to do alone and just represent the Assassin Order and it's few moments of direct involvements during the FR, it add to the story. As for sandboxes missions(called black boxes) is something I've always wanted, it's like Hitman. Only deeper, more freedom, it's like a being a kid in a candy store. One of my worries is if Unity got the time it needed, we don't won't another AC3(buggy etc...).

Jexx21
08-19-2014, 07:56 PM
I loved the idea of ACIII, the execution was way to confusing. Awful storytelling. ACIII could have been so much more than it actually was.

*stops ACIII discussion immediately*

But you're right, story-wise Black Flag was imo the best thing that happened to the franchise, so refreshing and different. I hope they continue this development with Unity, and I'm very confident they will.

Oh, I think AC3 has the best story of the series.

But the actual execution of telling the story was probably the worst in the series.

Here's my ratings of this

Story
1. AC3
2. AC4/ACR
3. AC1/AC2
4. ACB

Execution
1. ACB
2. AC2
3. AC4/ACR
4. AC1
5. AC3

MasterAssasin84
08-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Nope I am Thrilled more than anything !! and Black Box mission structure !! what a dream ACU is going to Rock !!

aL_____eX
08-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Oh, I think AC3 has the best story of the series.

But the actual execution of telling the story was probably the worst in the series.

Here's my ratings of this

Story
1. AC3
2. AC4/ACR
3. AC1/AC2
4. ACB

Execution
1. ACB
2. AC2
3. AC4/ACR
4. AC1
5. AC3
I agree with you in most points, but would put ACIV at 1st place in both categories, because it was a whole new way of telling a story of a not-so-assassiny Assassin. I loved it.

and...
Connor deserves his sequel, they just can't leave him hanging in the air. At least the end of his story/life in Unity. HE. DESERVES. IT.

But I believe we're going off topic. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
08-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't know whats bigger Sesh dislike of AC 3 and AC 4

or Assassins_M dislike of Ezio and AC2 xD
I think his dislike of AC III and AC IV is bigger.

I'm curios AS_M whats your favourite Ac in the series?
AC IV but I like all of them.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Didn't know where to post this, but has anyone seen this yet?

https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/photos/a.368664643234451.1073741825.340276136073302/539861236114790/?type=1

SPOILER ALERT

The IMDB page of #ACUnity shows a lot of information that will attract the attention of the fans! In fact, in the cast section it is possible to see the following characters:

Neil Napier - Captain Xavier (voice)
Dan Jeannotte - Arno Dorian Victor (voice)
Mark Bonnar - ... (voice)
Julian Casey - Francois-Thomas Germain
James Barriscale - ... (voice)
Tony Robinow - ... (voice)

And above all:

Noah Watts - Connor Kenway (voice)

As you can see, we will see the return of Neil Napier (the voice of Charles Lee in #AC3), Mark Bonnar (the voice of Blackbeard in #AC4BlackFlag) and especially Noah Watts (the voice of Connor)! According to IMDB the presence of Connor in Unity is confirmed, what do you expect from his appearance (even if only as a voice-over)?

Real or Fake? What do you think?

Shahkulu101
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM

http://aimeeleekitee.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/2.gif

Sesheenku
08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
4 - The drastic upgrade in graphics wasn't minor, IMO.

5 - lel

6 - Of course not. AC have never had good stealth.

9 - I think with AC:3, they were experimenting with the new upgrades to the brotherhood system, (which I absolutely loved) but it just didn't come equipped with a good tutorial and most people forgot about its many features due to piss poor pacing. With AC:IV, they sort of just scrapped it and brought back the old system, which I thought was pretty disappointing.

6 - Hence the problem, once again a mechanic that needed to be fixed.

9 - Indeed.

Just like any other open-world game, you move on or MP. AC have never had that kind RDR content where the game kept you occupied with random encounters and missions. --Well, except for AC:R's den defense but that had bad results.

It doesn't need random stuff it just needs side content that doesn't boil down to doing the same few tasks repeatedly.

But to be fair, AC:IV at least still gave players plantations to raid after they've 100% the game. I also enjoyed replaying Freedom Cry to free slaves from plantations and smuggling ships.

What's the point? By then you have your ship done, there's no reward for tediously owning the guards anymore.

Coves offered more than parkouring terrains. But as you said, it's subjective.

Indeed.

It was. Revelations had one one of the best combat in the series. It would be the best if it didn't have auto-chain and balanced the ammo, IMO.

Agreed.

Try making Connor free-run in the frontiers with blindfolds on. See if you don't get stuck at a rock or tree. Or try climbing one of those view-point trees. And the landmarks in AC:3 are just as easy as AC:IV's, if not easier due to being shorter. I don't see where this moving in more than one direction is coming from. That's something that's present in both games.

Once again this is something that they purposefully fixed... It's not really opinion, again there are more towers and climbable objects in AC4 that require you to maneuver, in AC3 most towers you find can be run straight up.

I know this because the lousy over simplification of climbing was one of the many things I hated in 3 and wished was fixed in 4 and it WASN'T but at least they tried.

[edit] I just did some testing. There's no difference. Same parkour, same buttons, same mechanics. The only difference are the buildings' scaling.

I recently replayed both of them... Once again the first tower in Havana requires you to shimmy around at least, the first tower you climb with Haytham only requires that you go straight up.

All I'm saying is, there's more dynamics to these than you are making them out to be.

What are the dynamics? As I said me inventing restrictions for myself is NOT dynamic. Just like forcing myself to beat FF1 with only a red mage is NOT dynamic, it's something I invented to force fun out of a game that has become dull.

I have a play style, I should be able to enjoy the game with that play style till the end and I shouldn't have to forcefully switch just to get more fun. So I still disagree.

Aesthetically, of course. But mission designs/structures, definitely not. How they needed to be tackled were different.

It wasn't enough, unlike Borgia Towers there's one entrance, unlike Borgia Towers there's not one powerful guy you need to kill, you just go in and avoid or kill everything and then grab the treasure. It doesn't have enough imo.

Aesthetics are subjective. I enjoyed the change in aesthetics in AC:IV. Actually, now that I think about it, AC:IV changes its own setting the most, as well. You go from exploring islands, to cities, to caves, to the endless ocean, to the undersea.

Every island is similar, every cave exactly the same textures, the endless ocean has nothing to do and the undersea is once again similar. The cities are the only ones with truly varying design and even then they hardly get much focus in the game.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it maybe the first time I saw it but after that every other thing of the same type was too similar.

You're misinterpreting it. AC:IV sets itself on player freedom. You make your own choices, not the game. How you play and enjoy it is up to you. That's the motto in AC:U, as well.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I picked up an enjoyed Tomb Raider for example because it was immediately enjoyable, I didn't have to invent ludicrous restrictions or force play style changes, all I needed to do was explore, jump, and get into combat. The core of AC was failing and was in dire need of resuscitation and yet they let it float on the ocean floor and did nothing to save it in AC4.

Caves weren't similar. Jungles were beautiful. Underwater exploration was also beautiful and changed the dynamics. Islands were fun to stop at and explore for recruits, chests, collectibles, and hunting. You didn't have to 100% the game to get your fill from a few islands. Animus fragments offered cheats, chests offered gold, hunting offered upgrades, and recruits themselves changes the dynamics. Sometimes they're held hostage and requires stealth while other times they're in combat and requires your support. --Stuff like that are boring? Well, that's gold for the series.

I explain why I feel caves aren't good enough. Yeah Jungles are beautiful, so what, graphics don't make fun. Same with underwater. Collecting recruits was busy work in the way you mentioned, they were only their for convenience, collectibles and chests will be largely ignored by most people, I'm sorry I don't enjoy collecting useless objects. Hunting is the same, I don't need and don't want half of the upgrade stuff for edward, all I did was quickly collect what I needed and then I didn't hunt again because all it is is stealth assassinating some AI animals and taking their goods. I never liked hunting and always thought it was weak. A big mess of either stealth or chase sequences that end in QTE's.

The side content for the series was in serious need of a much higher boost in quality imo.

Borgia Towers are the counter-parts to AC:IV's forts.

Tombs don't have secret areas. They're more linear than AC:IV's jungles.

Yes they do match up with forts.

Yes tombs DO have secret areas, don't tell me otherwise because this is a fact. They have small branching paths that lead to tiny nooks/crannies/ small rooms with extra cash. They are more linear but they aren't part of the main game, they're side content, Jungles have to be traversed several times and were all just branching pathways. That's not how jungles work and that doesn't make for an engaging open world jungle area. Hell it's no better than the Tarzan world in KH which is like all KH worlds, a map with branching pathways, except unlike AC4 all of those paths have an important purpose other than finding 200 reales.

Not slightly, it was A WHOLE LOT more polished than 3. Any problems you had were from the gameplay.

The level of polish would be subjective. Polish isn't making things they broke work for me polish to me means refining these features to make them better and more enjoyable. So to me it's only slightly polished their "fixed" stealth is just fixing what was broken, their combat is worse imo, the polish lies in other areas but not where it matters most imo which again is the core game. The things that you'll be doing over and over and over again.

AC:3's AIs were different. Not a good comparison, IMO.

AC:IV's AIs are more comparable to AC:2-AC:Rs. They both have bad tracking like that.

This is just going to be arguing opinion, as you know I think they are similar to AC3 AI AFTER they were patched. Once again though it leads to my main point that AC4 is stale because it didn't innovate when I'm sure most people were aching for innovation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think his dislike of AC III and AC IV is bigger.

Oh definitely my hate for 3 and 4.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-20-2014, 12:20 AM
nope im not worried.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-20-2014, 12:24 AM
Didn't know where to post this, but has anyone seen this yet?

https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/photos/a.368664643234451.1073741825.340276136073302/539861236114790/?type=1

SPOILER ALERT

The IMDB page of #ACUnity shows a lot of information that will attract the attention of the fans! In fact, in the cast section it is possible to see the following characters:

Neil Napier - Captain Xavier (voice)
Dan Jeannotte - Arno Dorian Victor (voice)
Mark Bonnar - ... (voice)
Julian Casey - Francois-Thomas Germain
James Barriscale - ... (voice)
Tony Robinow - ... (voice)

And above all:

As you can see, we will see the return of Neil Napier (the voice of Charles Lee in #AC3), Mark Bonnar (the voice of Blackbeard in #AC4BlackFlag) and especially Noah Watts (the voice of Connor)! According to IMDB the presence of Connor in Unity is confirmed, what do you expect from his appearance (even if only as a voice-over)?

Real or Fake? What do you think?

I think fake. ubi confirmed connor wouldn't even make a cameo. and blackbeard is dead! lol

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 12:25 AM
Mark Bonnar is playing as the Assassin Mentor we see in the gamescom demo

Ubi confirmed that Connor wouldn't make an appearance, not a cameo

HeedfulMass4856
08-20-2014, 01:00 AM
I am, because, overall, Ubi seems to still be using their same, drawn-out concept - white guy in European-based city; nothing new at all. What really concerns me is what you stated--Watch Dogs looked amazing in previews and such, but when it was released, it was absolute poo (6/10... and that''s being generous).

Overall, I think Unity will once again disappoint us long-time, non-racist fans of the series who want more diversity in AC settings, time periods, and protagonists (racially and gender-wise).

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 01:02 AM
I loved exploring that european-based city in Far Cry 3.

HeedfulMass4856
08-20-2014, 01:07 AM
I loved exploring that european-based city in Far Cry 3.
Jason was still a cliché.

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Jason was supposed to be a cliche, it was part of the story.

HeedfulMass4856
08-20-2014, 01:13 AM
Jason was supposed to be a cliche, it was part of the story.
No, it was part of the Illuminati's plan to subconsciously persuade the masses that white people are the epitome of human evolution, which is a godawful lie.

naumaan
08-20-2014, 01:26 AM
if the team that worked on revelation is on it .. i can assume it will do awesome

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 01:42 AM
No, it was part of the Illuminati's plan to subconsciously persuade the masses that white people are the epitome of human evolution, which is a godawful lie.

lol

Sesheenku
08-20-2014, 01:45 AM
I am, because, overall, Ubi seems to still be using their same, drawn-out concept - white guy in European-based city; nothing new at all. What really concerns me is what you stated--Watch Dogs looked amazing in previews and such, but when it was released, it was absolute poo (6/10... and that''s being generous).

Overall, I think Unity will once again disappoint us long-time, non-racist fans of the series who want more diversity in AC settings, time periods, and protagonists (racially and gender-wise).

This is an even more tired argument than the Connor arguments, except yours hold even less weight due to AC being more diverse than most games in the triple A industry.

HiddenKiller612
08-20-2014, 01:45 AM
http://assets.perfectlytimedphotos.com/hashed_silo_content/silo_content/21002/resized/lol.jpg

ShoryukenMan
08-20-2014, 02:26 AM
I'm only worried about the modern day parts. I'm sure everything else will be great, though.

Fatal-Feit
08-20-2014, 04:34 AM
6 - Hence the problem, once again a mechanic that needed to be fixed.

9 - Indeed.

6 - It doesn't need to be fixed. AC:IV utilized stealth to the absolute best of its abilities.

It doesn't need random stuff it just needs side content that doesn't boil down to doing the same few tasks repeatedly.

Not a few, AC:IV has a dozen compared to the past. I don't see the problem for someone who doesn't 100% a game. A more diverse and dynamic side content is better than the old tedious chests and flags.

What's the point? By then you have your ship done, there's no reward for tediously owning the guards anymore.

Replayability.

Once again this is something that they purposefully fixed... It's not really opinion, again there are more towers and climbable objects in AC4 that require you to maneuver, in AC3 most towers you find can be run straight up.

I know this because the lousy over simplification of climbing was one of the many things I hated in 3 and wished was fixed in 4 and it WASN'T but at least they tried.

The frontiers are filled with cimbable objects that requires players to maneuver. I just named a few that aren't even present in AC:IV. The difference I've experienced was the lack of good product placement in AC:3 compared to AC:IV.

I recently replayed both of them... Once again the first tower in Havana requires you to shimmy around at least, the first tower you climb with Haytham only requires that you go straight up.

That first church is comparable to the place where they signed the declaration of independence. --in which, you would also have to shimmy around. There's a striking resemblance, as well.

What are the dynamics? As I said me inventing restrictions for myself is NOT dynamic. Just like forcing myself to beat FF1 with only a red mage is NOT dynamic, it's something I invented to force fun out of a game that has become dull.

I have a play style, I should be able to enjoy the game with that play style till the end and I shouldn't have to forcefully switch just to get more fun. So I still disagree.

Who said to give yourself restrictions? Like I keep implying, FREEDOM. You AREN'T RESTRICTED. That's the dynamics! The way the maps are built and the objects/targets are placed, you decide how to handle it. You, the players, make your game. It's because the game allows you to play your own style and enjoy it for that which makes it dynamic and fun.

It wasn't enough, unlike Borgia Towers there's one entrance, unlike Borgia Towers there's not one powerful guy you need to kill, you just go in and avoid or kill everything and then grab the treasure. It doesn't have enough imo.

Borgia Towers has 2/3 entrances with plenty of chests, fragments, and arguably more activities than Borgia Towers themselves. lel

Every island is similar, every cave exactly the same textures, the endless ocean has nothing to do and the undersea is once again similar. The cities are the only ones with truly varying design and even then they hardly get much focus in the game.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it maybe the first time I saw it but after that every other thing of the same type was too similar.

They had plenty of sequences. Havana got 3. Kingston got 3. And Nassau got 3. There was a good balance.

As for your criticisms on aesthetics, those were mended with good replayability and level designs. Gogging at a delightful setting is good the first few times, but gameplay comes first in a game. And gameplay for those is where AC:IV exceeded.

You're also neglecting the Mayan ruins, which for me, were beautiful well designed for missions, as well.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I picked up an enjoyed Tomb Raider for example because it was immediately enjoyable, I didn't have to invent ludicrous restrictions or force play style changes, all I needed to do was explore, jump, and get into combat. The core of AC was failing and was in dire need of resuscitation and yet they let it float on the ocean floor and did nothing to save it in AC4.

The core of AC was mended in AC:IV... We just had that discussion. I'm not getting back into it.

Tomb Raider is an entirely different game that sets itself on different dynamics. I enjoyed that game for something else, an entirely different experience.

And again, nobody said to make restrictions, I implored you to look at what you WEREN'T restricted with. Why that wasn't enjoyable in an AC game is beyond me.

I explain why I feel caves aren't good enough. Yeah Jungles are beautiful, so what, graphics don't make fun. Same with underwater. Collecting recruits was busy work in the way you mentioned, they were only their for convenience, collectibles and chests will be largely ignored by most people, I'm sorry I don't enjoy collecting useless objects. Hunting is the same, I don't need and don't want half of the upgrade stuff for edward, all I did was quickly collect what I needed and then I didn't hunt again because all it is is stealth assassinating some AI animals and taking their goods. I never liked hunting and always thought it was weak. A big mess of either stealth or chase sequences that end in QTE's.

A little hypocritical here, don't you think? If graphics don't matter, then gameplay does. And gameplay content is exactly where AC:IV exceeded compared to its predecessors.

You can't talk about your personal gripes with AC:IV, but they're redundant since AC:IV pretty much has the best to offer in the franchise.

The side content for the series was in serious need of a much higher boost in quality imo.

They do, and I'm excited for what Unity will push.

Yes tombs DO have secret areas, don't tell me otherwise because this is a fact. They have small branching paths that lead to tiny nooks/crannies/ small rooms with extra cash. They are more linear but they aren't part of the main game, they're side content, Jungles have to be traversed several times and were all just branching pathways. That's not how jungles work and that doesn't make for an engaging open world jungle area. Hell it's no better than the Tarzan world in KH which is like all KH worlds, a map with branching pathways, except unlike AC4 all of those paths have an important purpose other than finding 200 reales.

KH is actually remarked for its open-world like that. And AC:IV's jungles aren't bad. You're just saying it's bad when it's not. It's dense with collectibles, has hidden paths, animals to hunt, multiple pathways, and gorgeous sceneries. I had absolutely not problem with its linearity because it wasn't as linear. It delivered on everything it promised. And compare that to tombs where your only rewards were chests, come on.

And if we aren't comparing jungles to tombs then compare to the other side content like plantation, coves, and underbell exploration, which in comparison had more to offer than tombs. Especially when you take away graphics.

The level of polish would be subjective. Polish isn't making things they broke work for me polish to me means refining these features to make them better and more enjoyable. So to me it's only slightly polished their "fixed" stealth is just fixing what was broken, their combat is worse imo, the polish lies in other areas but not where it matters most imo which again is the core game. The things that you'll be doing over and over and over again.

You're making AC:IV's level of polish seem more redundant than it actually was.

Okay, let's go over it.

Stealth - The absolute best in AC:IV. 80% of the game offered it. Viable in almost everything, including hunting, coves, jungles, naval, plantations, underbell exploration, recruitment, etc, etc. It wasn't a mere polish or something ''fixed'', it was an entire revamp that was heavily utilized.

Combat - While less dynamic, it was improved in its own ways for AC:IV. No more huge groups of guards coming after you when you get spotted, which was good for stealth. Combat itself was quicker, which allowed players to go back to stealth or hiding. The tweaked combat also allowed for raiding ships. Guns aren't as OP as the previous titles. Using 4 pistols weren't as effective as 2 guns with 2 ammos each in AC:3. There is also a lack of forced combat sequences in AC:IV, which is a huge bonus for a stealth game.

Navigation - AC:IV absolutely bombs this one. Need I explain?

The only one I see where AC:IV is lacking is the action part of combat, but it's the absolute best in the other two core pillars.

This is just going to be arguing opinion, as you know I think they are similar to AC3 AI AFTER they were patched. Once again though it leads to my main point that AC4 is stale because it didn't innovate when I'm sure most people were aching for innovation.

AC:3's AIs after the patch aren't the same as AC:IVs. They're still a nuisance and somewhat broken. They still telekinetically swarm you after you kill a single guard. Their range of vision isn't stealth friendly. They will still keep you detected whether or not you hide when they're on yellow. And when you leave a bush or hiding zone when they're still searching for you, they telekinetically know where you are and swarm you again. And not the mention the frequent amount of Jagers everywhere that will instantly spot you when you reach star 3. You also can't assassinate a guard when they're highlighted on red, or else you will trigger direct combat, which sucked for stealth.

Also, patches are redundant. AC:IV's AIs were perfectly fine when they released.

I also disagree with your main point. Our entire argument are about AC:IV's innovation which you keep rejecting due to little bitty gripes.

Sesheenku
08-20-2014, 05:47 AM
6 - It doesn't need to be fixed. AC:IV utilized stealth to the absolute best of its abilities.

Oh okay, well then, let's organize and send Ubisoft a note, stealth was fine, please don't make it better in Unity.

It could have been made better it DID NEED fixing and it was fixed in Unity. So yeah. Obviously it needed fixing or it wouldn't have been fixed.

Not a few, AC:IV has a dozen compared to the past. I don't see the problem for someone who doesn't 100% a game. A more diverse and dynamic side content is better than the old tedious chests and flags.

You mean like the 200 reale chests and the animus fragments on the useless islands?

Replayability.

... Yeah, I'm totally gonna sit there after I beat the game and just kill guards in a plantation all day cause they were so fun and challenging before. Seriously, just sit in the bush and berserk them to death. Guaranteed GG. I'd rather just start a whole new game.

The frontiers are filled with cimbable objects that requires players to maneuver. I just named a few that aren't even present in AC:IV. The difference I've experienced was the lack of good product placement in AC:3 compared to AC:IV.

I was comparing two towers first off, second off both places have trees that require you to look where you're going, and? AC4 brought it back to the cities.

That first church is comparable to the place where they signed the declaration of independence. --in which, you would also have to shimmy around. There's a striking resemblance, as well.

I can get on the game and climb right up the wall, turn and go right up the tower. During the climbing there is no need to change direction.

Who said to give yourself restrictions? Like I keep implying, FREEDOM. You AREN'T RESTRICTED. That's the dynamics! The way the maps are built and the objects/targets are placed, you decide how to handle it. You, the players, make your game. It's because the game allows you to play your own style and enjoy it for that which makes it dynamic and fun.

The "dynamic" isn't really dynamic. You go in and you kill the guards or you leave em be, the entrance to each cove is always the same it's gonna play out pretty similarly each time 8U, it doesn't have as much dynamism as the Borgia Towers because on those you enter from whatever angle you want and every angle is different. No such choice in the caves, enter and wipe 'em out.

Sorry it's no more replayable than the main story of an FF game unless you force yourself to do things radically different. Except Final Fantasy actually has a lot more secrets and stuff to explore. Cetp for 13...

Borgia Towers has 2/3 entrances with plenty of chests, fragments, and arguably more activities than Borgia Towers themselves. lel

Fragments are meh and chests don't create replayability so I don't know why you even mentioned it. It can have a carnival in there for all I care but the core of it, assassinating opponents stealthily and grabbing the main treasure is very samey.

They had plenty of sequences. Havana got 3. Kingston got 3. And Nassau got 3. There was a good balance.

Most of the time you're out on the ocean, the cities play a relatively small role.

As for your criticisms on aesthetics, those were mended with good replayability and level designs. Gogging at a delightful setting is good the first few times, but gameplay comes first in a game. And gameplay for those is where AC:IV exceeded.

That's 1000% subjective, I hated it cause it was a retread on 3, it is essentially the base of 3 patched up... and I HATED the game play in 3. When I first got into combat in 3 some of the control changes and all of the over simplification left me disgusted, I had to put my control down for 15 minutes and walk away. 4 does NOTHING to fix those main problems, it's the same ****. Over simplified.

You're also neglecting the Mayan ruins, which for me, were beautiful well designed for missions, as well.

Yes I can concede that at least they are a bit different and not overly samey.

The core of AC was mended in AC:IV... We just had that discussion. I'm not getting back into it.

Tomb Raider is an entirely different game that sets itself on different dynamics. I enjoyed that game for something else, an entirely different experience.

And again, nobody said to make restrictions, I implored you to look at what you WEREN'T restricted with. Why that wasn't enjoyable in an AC game is beyond me.

Mended doesn't mean anything to me, I don't care about fixing stuff they broke on their own I want it to be BETTER. I didn't want fixed 3, I wanted BETTER than fixed 3.

A little hypocritical here, don't you think? If graphics don't matter, then gameplay does. And gameplay content is exactly where AC:IV exceeded compared to its predecessors.

You can't talk about your personal gripes with AC:IV, but they're redundant since AC:IV pretty much has the best to offer in the franchise.

I don't see the hypocrisy at all. Game play does matter.

Bold point 1 - How is that a fact? It's not. "Exceeded" has a whole different meaning to me here than it does to you, that much is crystal clear.

Bold point 2 - Uh says who? You? A bunch of people on the internet? That's subjective. Utterly and entirely subjective and it does absolutely nothing to counter my point.

They do, and I'm excited for what Unity will push.

Indeed.

KH is actually remarked for its open-world like that. And AC:IV's jungles aren't bad. You're just saying it's bad when it's not. It's dense with collectibles, has hidden paths, animals to hunt, multiple pathways, and gorgeous sceneries. I had absolutely not problem with its linearity because it wasn't as linear. It delivered on everything it promised. And compare that to tombs where your only rewards were chests, come on.

KH isn't open world, it's hallways that connect to rooms or rooms that lead to other rooms. It's not bad for that type of game but it's nothing more.

What's your reward in AC4 besides a new plan? Which are found with treasure maps. What's the point of hunting when you're done upgrading for fun? It wasn't fun for me, shooting lizard in the head, chasing jaguard and getting into the same reptitive QTE and stabbing alligators.

There's no depth to ANY of it, all it is is the same few tasks... Every hunt is the similar to the last one. Hell the only reason I found the shark stuff fun is because it's pretty damn cool to bag a white shark.

And if we aren't comparing jungles to tombs then compare to the other side content like plantation, coves, and underbell exploration, which in comparison had more to offer than tombs. Especially when you take away graphics.

Except you're only expected to spend like 5 minutes in tombs, grab the item and get out. It's a quick little parkour challenge in AC2, in ACR they added a bit of cinematics to add a touch of interest.

What does underbell have to offer? You swim and you grab chests. Money's great but that's the only reason they're there and on occassion to get into a cove. I've already discussed what I feel about coves, the game play isn't enough for me, especially not when unlike Tombs I do them a LOT more. Plantations are easy and dull, as I said I literally sat in a bush and berserked the guards to death. On occassion I got em with a sleeping dart, looted them for more darts and was able to repeat the process. I can CHOOSE to just attack but the combat is dull for me so that does nothing except replace one dull activity for another.

The problem with AC4 is that I don't need to think. By now their stealth is passive for me I don't need to think about it, by the time I've entered a cove in AC4 I've already figured out the ideal path. The game needed to push everything. It didn't do enough. My brain was off half the time cause I didn't even need it. Most people feel the AC series had begun to get stale and I am one of the people that agrees, when 4 did very little to change what 3 brought to the table I had already mastered their games, there is nothing they can throw at me that I can't do in the game unless they make it ridiculous like most of AC3's optional objectives.

You're making AC:IV's level of polish seem more redundant than it actually was.

Okay, let's go over it.

Stealth - The absolute best in AC:IV. 80% of the game offered it. Viable in almost everything, including hunting, coves, jungles, naval, plantations, underbell exploration, recruitment, etc, etc. It wasn't a mere polish or something ''fixed'', it was an entire revamp that was heavily utilized.

Combat - While less dynamic, it was improved in its own ways for AC:IV. No more huge groups of guards coming after you when you get spotted, which was good for stealth. Combat itself was quicker, which allowed players to go back to stealth or hiding. The tweaked combat also allowed for raiding ships. Guns aren't as OP as the previous titles. Using 4 pistols weren't as effective as 2 guns with 2 ammos each in AC:3. There is also a lack of forced combat sequences in AC:IV, which is a huge bonus for a stealth game.

Navigation - AC:IV absolutely bombs this one. Need I explain?

The only one I see where AC:IV is lacking is the action part of combat, but it's the absolute best in the other two core pillars.

Stealth - What revamp? There was no revamp. Putting stealth in your new sections doesn't make it revamped... putting more bushes doesn't make it revamped it's the EXACT same crap. Go sit in a bush and run to the next bush, then to the next bush then the next, then the haystack, then climb the tree and stab the target in the throat. I DO NOT care how much of the game offered it, I was already utterly sick and tired of the type of "stealth" the game had employed, it needed an ACTUAL revamp, you know like Unity is doing THAT'S a revamp.

It's more of the same, they might as well have put on the box "80% more times you can participate in running between bushes and haystacks!!!"

AC:3's AIs after the patch aren't the same as AC:IVs. They're still a nuisance and somewhat broken. They still telekinetically swarm you after you kill a single guard. Their range of vision isn't stealth friendly. They will still keep you detected whether or not you hide when they're on yellow. And when you leave a bush or hiding zone when they're still searching for you, they telekinetically know where you are and swarm you again. And not the mention the frequent amount of Jagers everywhere that will instantly spot you when you reach star 3. You also can't assassinate a guard when they're highlighted on red, or else you will trigger direct combat, which sucked for stealth.

First off I disagree, I replayed recently and was able to own the HMS jersey perfectly without getting spotted once, the AI worked as it should then where the first time I played pre-patch I constantly got caught cause they were utterly unpredictable.

I can concede about them seeing you at yellow but it wasn't a big deal post patch even if it still happens.

Uh yeah... of course the Jagers are attacking you at notoriety level 3... that's max notoriety, that's how the notoriety system has ALWAYS worked, once you get max notoriety guards attack on sight...

Dunno what you're talking about highlited ON red? You mean in a red restricted zone?.... Cause in eagle vision they're always red.

Also, patches are redundant. AC:IV's AIs were perfectly fine when they released.

Okay? So they fixed what they broke. Don't care, I want new not fixed stuff that THEY broke. It's the same as if they came into my house, broke a vase I don't care about and then returned it to me fixed and I was like... dude I hated that vase it was hideous... thanks for the gesture... I guess I'll take it back since you came all this way.

I also disagree with your main point. Our entire argument are about AC:IV's innovation which you keep rejecting due to little bitty gripes.

You have zero authority to call my gripes itty bitty. To me they're massive because the gameplay is dull. The game is dull because playing it is dull and repetitive for me.

--------------------------------

I don't think you can convince me Alpaca ;P it seems our minds ar on very different wave lengths in this case, I want more out of my AC's and everyone does but you were capable of accepting something merely better than 3. I was not, I was demanding something better than all the previous AC's after their horrid screw up.

Fatal-Feit
08-20-2014, 05:50 AM
We're really off-topic so I'm not going to reply to that. Good debate, though.

LoyalACFan
08-20-2014, 06:11 AM

I remember you as a productive user, man, WTF happened?

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 06:13 AM
I didn't read any of the Fatal-Sesh argument, but I just want to say there's a reason why I didn't get into an argument with Sesh about liking AC3/AC4's mechanics more than the previous games. :P

Fatal-Feit
08-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I should have gotten the hint. :p

Sesheenku
08-20-2014, 06:23 AM
We're really off-topic so I'm not going to reply to that. Good debate, though.

Oh right... lol. Indeed, good debate.

I didn't read any of the Fatal-Sesh argument, but I just want to say there's a reason why I didn't get into an argument with Sesh about liking AC3/AC4's mechanics more than the previous games. :P

8U what's that supposed to mean?

Yeah, I should have gotten the hint. :p

We're still talking about being off-topic right?

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 06:29 AM
I didn't think I would be able to persuade you that AC3/AC4's systems are better, and I don't think you would be either to persuade me otherwise either..

Plus we already had a similar argument.

Sesheenku
08-20-2014, 06:31 AM
I didn't think I would be able to persuade you that AC3/AC4's systems are better, and I don't think you would be either to persuade me otherwise either..

Plus we already had a similar argument.

Ah well I can agree there.

That's hardly ever the conclusion of a debate though.

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Eh, I also just didn't feel like getting into it.

Debates aren't things I feel comfortable getting into on the internet.

Hans684
08-20-2014, 12:07 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

rrebe
08-20-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm not worried about Unity per se, I'm just always a bit wary about overhyping.

Fatal-Feit
08-20-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm not worried about Unity per se, I'm just always a bit wary about overhyping.

Strangely enough, I don't think Unity is as hyped as AC:3 or Watch_Dogs. Or at least from what I'm told and remember. Or maybe it's a little too early since Ubi's trailers and TV commercials are usually excessive the month before.

Matt.mc
08-20-2014, 02:17 PM
I think AC3 was overhyped way more than Unity. It seemed like it was gonna be a bigger leap than it was and I think people have learnt not to overhype it now.

RinoTheBouncer
08-20-2014, 02:39 PM
The co-op missions don't even take up 10 hours of the game dude.

I don't understand why you're so concerned about the story, since ACR, AC3, and AC4 have the best stories in the series, and AC4 had the best modern day section in the series as it was the one that revealed the most about the modern day and it had the best modern day story because it had a clear beginning, middle, and end. It's clear that they're still bringing things from past games and utilizing them, and the way modern day is going now is extremely promising.

Well if you’re considering this modern day to be the better than the past and also promising, then I guess we sure don’t have the same standards and values for a better AC game. I did enjoyed AC:R very very much. In fact, it’s my favorite alongside ACII, ACIII was also very good, except for the ending, but ACIV in no way had a great modern day. I prefer the modern day of AC:R over this one.

I’m worried cause they’re promising a very new thing. I went to Gamescom and personally chatted with UbiGabe for like 15 minutes AFTER the Q&A and he said said that AC:Rogue is gonna be more close to the AC games we’re used to in terms of style, modern day and first civ. stuff but ACU is gonna be a different thing, like a new way to look at the AC franchise. Well I’m not closed minded and I love them when they’re being experimental and trying new things yet I still worry that the changes could take away the very reasons that made me love the franchise which were present in ACI to ACIII

Well it's current gen so kinda have to focus on current gen gameplay and what it's capable of. Can't have a current gen AC with Black Flag gameplay. Co-op i don't mind since it's possible to do alone and just represent the Assassin Order and it's few moments of direct involvements during the FR, it add to the story. As for sandboxes missions(called black boxes) is something I've always wanted, it's like Hitman. Only deeper, more freedom, it's like a being a kid in a candy store. One of my worries is if Unity got the time it needed, we don't won't another AC3(buggy etc...).

I honestly loved ACIII very much and my only complain about it was the modern day ending. I love it’s modern day missions, Connor, the story, the atmosphere. Maybe they could’ve added 2-3 more sequences to Connor but I was happy with it overall except for the ending of the modern day.

I just hope we won’t be let down, because ACIV, as much as I loved Edward, I didn’t feel like it’s an AC game.

dimbismp
08-20-2014, 03:05 PM
@Rino TheBouncer

I really can't see why black flag isn't a proper AC game.It had the BEST stealth of the series and it touched the creed itself more than other games.Imo black flag was better in that term than the ezio trilogy combined.As for the MD it brought back a little mystery that was absolutely absent at the previous games.The desmond story started really well at Ac 1 and Ac2,but it lost the mystery during the way.

on topic though,my fears for unity are:
Easy combat that brings no challenge(although it can't be worse than ac3/ac4)
Bugs and glitches
Bad storytelling and forgettable templar cast
No POE
Few and bad quality side missions
Repetitive buildings

And my general fear about the franchise is turning to 100% co-op :p

RinoTheBouncer
08-20-2014, 03:29 PM
@Rino TheBouncer

I really can't see why black flag isn't a proper AC game.It had the BEST stealth of the series and it touched the creed itself more than other games.Imo black flag was better in that term than the ezio trilogy combined.As for the MD it brought back a little mystery that was absolutely absent at the previous games.The desmond story started really well at Ac 1 and Ac2,but it lost the mystery during the way.

on topic though,my fears for unity are:
Easy combat that brings no challenge(although it can't be worse than ac3/ac4)
Bugs and glitches
Bad storytelling and forgettable templar cast
No POE
Few and bad quality side missions
Repetitive buildings

And my general fear about the franchise is turning to 100% co-op :p

I agree completely with the second part. The lack of POE could be destructive to me and having repetitive buildings is something very predictable, and same goes for the boring or bad quality side missions and forgettable Templar cast and story. Regarding the past games, I enjoyed Ezio’s Trilogy, ACI and ACIII much more than ACIV and probably more than Unity from the looks of it. I know the mystery was kinda lost from the Desmond modern day but I guess the mystery was predicted to fade gradually as we learn more about the story.

dimbismp
08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
I believe that the POE and the 1st Civ stuff is one of he most important things so far.Since AC 1 they have been a major or a minor part of the ancient and modern day story.Imo,it would be a crime to abandon them.If done correctly he story will be given a boost in quality.The thing is that Arno,EliseEdward etc may be fascinated by the discovery of POEs but this feeling unfortunately cannot be passed to the fans anymore.What i mean is that i cannot get excited if i already have seen that so many times.So i believe that what is needed to be done is to keep the POE stuff,for lore reasons,but change completely the way that they are implemented in the story.ACIV tried to do that but imo failed,because it ended up again being POE-hunting,like ACB for example.
In conclusion i think that what ac current lacks is mystery.They need to bring back this.

aL_____eX
08-20-2014, 03:49 PM
In conclusion i think that what ac current lacks is mystery.They need to bring back this.
This pretty much sums it up! But Unity has a good chance to change this again I believe.

Aaaand I'm so curious about how huge the catacombs are going to be? Any ideas?

rrebe
08-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Hopefully bigger than the underground in AC3 :rolleyes: (if there's any news about it, I have no idea. I haven't been reading many news about ACU, trying to stay a bit in the dark because I like surprises..)

dimbismp
08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
This pretty much sums it up! But Unity has a good chance to change this again I believe.

I just hope that they are not just straight lines,because that's how i remember the real-life catacombs i have visited.At least they will be a little bit creepy which is good.

RinoTheBouncer
08-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I believe that the POE and the 1st Civ stuff is one of he most important things so far.Since AC 1 they have been a major or a minor part of the ancient and modern day story.Imo,it would be a crime to abandon them.If done correctly he story will be given a boost in quality.The thing is that Arno,EliseEdward etc may be fascinated by the discovery of POEs but this feeling unfortunately cannot be passed to the fans anymore.What i mean is that i cannot get excited if i already have seen that so many times.So i believe that what is needed to be done is to keep the POE stuff,for lore reasons,but change completely the way that they are implemented in the story.ACIV tried to do that but imo failed,because it ended up again being POE-hunting,like ACB for example.

I totally agree about the First Civ. and POE thing, I mean I loved the franchise from day one with AC1 BECAUSE it had modern day and First Civ. stuff. I just don’t wanna see that go away. I wanna see it improved not going away...

Layytez
08-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Even if we don't get direct First Civ appearances, corrupted flashback data could be cool. Abstergo trying to go further into the past but lack the sufficient amount of First DNA to hold a stable connection. Of course this would be information that we hack and uncover.

dimbismp
08-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Another thing i have to say is that they need to improve the atmosphere of the cities.Personally i get more immersed in watching the Borgias than playing ACB for example,or watching the kingdom of eaven than playing ac 1.They should try to emulate cinema for that aspect.

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

AC4 was packed full of mystery though, specifically involving the sage and the Instruments of the First Will in the modern day.

As for Rino, I feel like your concerns about the games story, especially in the modern day sections, are completely unwarranted. I feel like your only real complaint is the fact that we're not playing as an actual character. AC4's modern day was the best in the series because it had an actual story arc, and it was the one that revealed the most about the events and lore of the modern day sections. There's a lot that could be done with the way Unity's modern day is going, and I think throwing it to the side already is a silly thing to do.

naumaan
08-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Amancio is pretty seamless thus I trust his words!

well if the game failed like ac3 ... then amancio will be in the line with hutchison .. but still cant deny that if acu wil not come out as best it will be better than earlier games

I loved Watch Dogs and poured 60+ hours into that game, so don't go telling me I have to reassure anything. It was a superbly designed game with an exceptionally fun new core mechanic in the hacking.

Just about every mission was open-ended, with multiple approaches and hacking opportunities. But the reviewers claimed that hacking wasn't at the forefront because they decided to shoot everything without paying attention to the mission design. I guess that's what happens when people develop a game that requires the player to think and act for themselves, rather than linear slog fests like GTAV. That being said, the story was crap - and the open world wasn't the most fun place around. Didn't really care though. The sheer amount of fun hacky stealth was enough to satisfy me. And satisfy me greatly.

i lost interest in the game at the drinking mission ... that was a hell of play .. i wasted a whole month on that crap mission .. but still all other missions were fun

Assassin_M
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
well if the game failed like ac3 ... then amancio will be in the line with hutchison .. but still cant deny that if acu wil not come out as best it will be better than earlier games
AC III didn't fail.

dimbismp
08-20-2014, 05:27 PM
AC III didn't fail.
So you believe that Ac 3 met the expectations?

CSKarasu
08-20-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm not worried about Unity; they're trying to create a new experience, which is good. There's a few things that are a cause for concern, like flashbacks, but overall I believe the game will be solid.

Fatal-Feit
08-20-2014, 05:32 PM

Considering the marketing results and awards, it did.

Assassin_M
08-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Not mine but financially and critically, it didn't fail.

Jexx21
08-20-2014, 05:57 PM
also Hutchinson is still a cool guy

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Hutchison is an awesome guy. He just couldn't deliver what he wanted to due to many interrupting forces, time constraints, etc. I'm sure he will make up for it somehow.

Sesheenku
08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Not mine but financially and critically, it didn't fail.

Neither do Micheal Bay movies or CoD.

Most people aren't very critical. They just want to sit down, turn off their brain, and enjoy. There's nothing wrong with that but that means more sales for basically anything that is at least in some way entertaining.

naumaan
08-21-2014, 10:46 AM
AC III didn't fail.

It failed to fulfill our expectations, tho i agree still i bought it and i am playing it but with a less heart.

Hutchison is an awesome guy. He just couldn't deliver what he wanted to due to many interrupting forces, time constraints, etc. I'm sure he will make up for it somehow.

i just hope the same do not happen with amancio ..

Locopells
08-21-2014, 11:06 AM
That's why I'd hate to be a critic, unable to enjoy anything, and desperate to show how cultured I am by slogging off anything remotely mainstream...

naumaan
08-21-2014, 11:12 AM
That's why I'd hate to be a critic, unable to enjoy anything, and desperate to show how cultured I am by slogging off anything remotely mainstream...

i hate to be a critic myself .. its just i cant bottle my feelings when I have to go through each and every building in boston and ny and every tree in frontier to have a complete look at the map .. sighs

Sesheenku
08-21-2014, 11:13 AM

That's not how it works. I like to critique things but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of enjoying them. I can see the faults in Michael Bay movies but if I stop thinking I can sit there and enjoy it like everyone else.

I speak out about how lousy they are quality wise but they're still entertaining. I just don't believe that they are high quality movies.

The only thing I can't enjoy that some people can is slasher flicks... I utterly despise the typical plot -> Teenagers party, two sneak off to bang, some guy comes to cut them up.

There's nothing wrong with sex in a movie but in these kinds of movies it's just there to keep you watching. Like oh look! SEXY WIMMINZ!!!! ERMAAAAGEEEEERD THEY GOT STABBED! OHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Locopells
08-21-2014, 11:17 AM
OK, I admit I'm generalising, but there are some critics like that, especially amongst TV ones...

Anyway, we're going off topic here...

Landruner
08-21-2014, 02:59 PM
I am not worried for AC/Unity, I just want to be wrong about that game....
I came across reading or hearing regarding some new features or the removal of some that I do not like in the design decision. So, knowing this I am not burning and running for Unity like I did for the previous games since AC2. Now, my strategy is to wait for Unity and make a decision post release based upon the general reaction and reviews.

I am getting Rogue before Unity for sure since Rogue appears to be a genetic clone of AC4BF that I already know, played and liked (Naval mostly) - I am not expecting much more about Rogue than being a clone of AC4BF and it is good enough for me. For AC/Unity I am not expecting much being an excitement for me so far.